Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 pm Taught my daughter how to make homemade pretzels and beer cheese today. Delicious. Feel like there is an old bay angle in the beer cheese I need to experiment with.

Only downside, she would not let me play polka and umpalumpa music while making it.
You mind sharing the beer cheese recipe? I’m always looking for a good one.
quarter cup butter
quarter cup flour
half teaspoon garlic powder
half teaspoon onion powder
half teaspoon cayenne pepper
one cup milk
2/3 cup beer (I used a Gold Leaf from Devil's Backbone)
two teaspoons spicy brown mustard
a cup sharp cheddar shredded
half cup gruyere or swiss cheese, shredded
half cup mozzarella cheese shredded

I substituted a cheddar/gruyere blend (single block) I found at trader joes for the equivalent independent cheese ingredients.
don't use pre-shredded cheese, that has some additives that help the shreds not stick..

Melt butter (medium head)
add flour and spices
add milk --slowly and whisk it in (lower heat)
add beer -slowly and whisk it it
add mustard and whisk it in
When frothy and bubbly add shredded cheese and let it turn into melted dip goodness

Dark beers give you stronger beer/bitter taste..
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks...I’ll be sure to give it a try.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Tonight, I popped my meatball cherry. Major oversight on my part but I’m using my wife’s Italian grandmother’s “recipe” and can’t believe I’ve never made ‘em before. Sauce has been on the stove at a low simmer since 9:30 this morning. Looking forward to dinner.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

serrano wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm Tonight, I popped my meatball cherry. Major oversight on my part but I’m using my wife’s Italian grandmother’s “recipe” and can’t believe I’ve never made ‘em before. Sauce has been on the stove at a low simmer since 9:30 this morning. Looking forward to dinner.
Aw man. I'd bitch about the lack of invite but everything sucks.

I love making meatballs but the one weiner kid's decision to stop eating beef sort of kills that.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Turkey with a lot of buttermilk soaked bread works very well.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm
serrano wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm Tonight, I popped my meatball cherry. Major oversight on my part but I’m using my wife’s Italian grandmother’s “recipe” and can’t believe I’ve never made ‘em before. Sauce has been on the stove at a low simmer since 9:30 this morning. Looking forward to dinner.

I love making meatballs but the one weiner kid's decision to stop eating beef sort of kills that.
I love the respect you’re showing to my birthday buddy.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We just cooked up a Butterball turkey breast (it's like a blob of turkey meat wrapped in a layer of fat to preserve the juices), Ore Ida french fries, and are simmering up some gravy.

I think we're going to have some spinach leafs too.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

First attempt at sauteing tuna tonight. Over salted and overcooked, but still edible because the cut was good enough to make up for it, and the oven roasted tomatoes helped moisten the bite, and lessen the salt.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

You have a kid with more than one weiner?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Good thing a certain former-Swamper isn’t here to comment on letting kids stop eating meat.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don’t know. Her decision was pretty arbitrary, after eating what she described as a great cheeseburger while we were on vacation last summer.

It’s not like her father is a quavering quim affecting a man-like countenance on the head of a sockfuckmuppet snugly filled by the bone-dry fist of Hillary Clinton, her knuckles dancing as he allows PETA to parent his child to the cultivated acclaim of social media Facefuck fuckwits.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:19 am I don’t know. Her decision was pretty arbitrary, after eating what she described as a great cheeseburger while we were on vacation last summer.

It’s not like her father is a quavering quim affecting a man-like countenance on the head of a sockfuckmuppet snugly filled by the bone-dry fist of Hillary Clinton, her knuckles dancing as he allows PETA to parent his child to the cultivated acclaim of social media Facefuck fuckwits.
I see you remembered what I was referring to...
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Vegetarianism, Heath Ledger, and Legarette Blount. Strange bedfellows.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm Vegetarianism, Heath Ledger, and Legarette Blount. Strange bedfellows.
And Korean art.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 pm Grilled chicken tonight with this marinade. It’s ducking amazing. Stubbs is the shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormick-Gril ... 3896874675

Eta: I guess McCormick bought Stubbs out but Stubbs still has their main sauces under the name brand and they are all great. But this is the best Marinade I’ve had.
Again this marinade is amazing. Didn’t grill due to snow but pan seared and finished in the oven with a baste at the end to get a glaze going. Tender juicy and spicier than grilled. Give it a try.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Stubbs used to have a honey pecan flavor that was amazing on ribs.

Also, I've been to their live venue with Brian.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am Stubbs used to have a honey pecan flavor that was amazing on ribs.

Saw The War on Drugs there. Not with Brian or Giff.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:14 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 pm Grilled chicken tonight with this marinade. It’s ducking amazing. Stubbs is the shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCormick-Gril ... 3896874675

Eta: I guess McCormick bought Stubbs out but Stubbs still has their main sauces under the name brand and they are all great. But this is the best Marinade I’ve had.
Again this marinade is amazing. Didn’t grill due to snow but pan seared and finished in the oven with a baste at the end to get a glaze going. Tender juicy and spicier than grilled. Give it a try.
I tried that marinade on pork chops. I liked it, my son hated it for some reason.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am
Giff wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:37 am Stubbs used to have a honey pecan flavor that was amazing on ribs.

Lucero, Raconteurs, The Black Crowes, Wilco, Sturgill.

Damn, I've seen some awesome shows at that place.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am

Lucero, Raconteurs, The Black Crowes, Wilco, Sturgill.

Damn, I've seen some awesome shows at that place.
Would
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Grilling wings tonight. Wanted to do them a few different ways. Definitely doing some naked on the grill, then tossing in Frank's. Might go get some lemon pepper rub. Any other suggestions?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Love me some homemade honey mustard.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Smoke
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:47 am Grilling wings tonight. Wanted to do them a few different ways. Definitely doing some naked on the grill, then tossing in Frank's. Might go get some lemon pepper rub. Any other suggestions?
Indirect heat then flash them over the hot side right before they’re ready to go to crisp them up. You essentially want to bake them for the first part or you’ll end up with burnt outside and raw chicken.

Frank’s and butter is a great hot wing classic.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:43 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:47 am Grilling wings tonight. Wanted to do them a few different ways. Definitely doing some naked on the grill, then tossing in Frank's. Might go get some lemon pepper rub. Any other suggestions?
Indirect heat then flash them over the hot side right before they’re ready to go to crisp them up. You essentially want to bake them for the first part or you’ll end up with burnt outside and raw chicken.

Great tip. I've got a knock off BGE thing, and have a stone thing that essentially makes it much more of an over than a grill. Wouldn't have thought to use it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The semi-vortex method works really well too. Put all the charcoal in the middle (you can use a ring of foil you'll pull after dumping) then line the wings all the way around the perimeter and go for 30-45 minutes. Come out crispy without the need to move anything around besides the lid.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:24 pm The semi-vortex method works really well too. Put all the charcoal in the middle (you can use a ring of foil you'll pull after dumping) then line the wings all the way around the perimeter and go for 30-45 minutes. Come out crispy without the need to move anything around besides the lid.
This is exactly what I am about to do. Weber Kettle. Dry rub on the wings (courtesy of Union Pork Store). Wings dun rite would be in or my death row last meal.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Great tip. I've got a knock off BGE thing, and have a stone thing that essentially makes it much more of an over than a grill. Wouldn't have thought to use it.
How'd they come out boss?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm

How'd they come out boss?
Mostly good. I need more light near my grill. Was kinda hard to see how cooked they were. I also loaded too many on, didn't want to keep opening it, etc. All of which is to say that the outer ring of the wings were a little overcooked because they got more direct heat than the rest. I also had too much rub on the lemon pepper ones.

But, they were all edible, if not perfectly cooked, and the butter and Frank's was a delicious topping.

The two sourdough loaves I made last night were great though. Of course, they're loaves 20&21 or so, and this was batch 1 of wings.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We've been trying to do the 'meatless monday' thing for a while now, so I made this last night: Polenta Lasagna With Spinach and Herby Ricotta

Use some homemade sauce that was left over from something I made last week...and it was really damn good. I had to use some 'tube' polenta to fill in the edges of the pan, but it all worked out really well.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Huh. We just did a polenta lasagna, but with some italian sausage/ground beef mix.

Freaking delicious. Mrs. Nonlinear made enough to bring some to her parents, but the roads are gnarly and... I don't really want to give it up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There are now two posts today where I'm one "p" away from being really ... happy.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm going to try to help more around the kitchen. What's an easy homemade chicken marinade?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If you can't be bothered to go out and get the stubbs packet I mentioned on this page I can't help you.

Some kind of teammate, huh?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:46 pm I'm going to try to help more around the kitchen. What's an easy homemade chicken marinade?
How are you planning on cooking it?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:46 pm I'm going to try to help more around the kitchen. What's an easy homemade chicken marinade?
Any bottle of Greek or Italian salad dressing.

If you want to mix something on your own, rule of thumb is two parts oil to one part acid. I like to mix peanut oil and fresh lime juice as a marinade, season it with garlic salt and and throw in some lime zest or rind to maximize the flavor.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, we love a Greek marinade on chicken, especially for grilled skewers (souvlaki). Olive oil, white wine, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This recipe from this book is simple as hell and great. Use half as marinade, half as sauce and you're set.