Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:54 am Tofu can be great
I like it in smoothies with fruit and alternative milk, that's about it. Consistency problem for me otherwise.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:23 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm
blundercrush wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:27 pm Boiling brusselsprouts/brocolli/asparagus has gotten a bad rap from people who don't salt the water and then over cook them. That's my hot take for the day.
It's just so much easier to toss them lightly in olive oil and throw them in a baking dish or on the grill to get a little char. BUT...you're right in that if you don't over cook them boiling is OK. It's just bringing back bad memories of how mom used to overdo it.
My mom HATED vegetables when she was growing up. Then she went to college and tried them again. Not surprisingly, even a university cafateria beg tastes better thanthe overboiled and sugared veg that my grandmother made.
One of the reasons my mother became a cook is because of how bad my grandmother made asparagus/boiled vegetables. It really is the worst.

re: tofu it is definitely one of those things you should start by cutting up into small cubes and adding it to a stir fry or something else you already like even along side your meat of choice. It really is designed to be cooked in a wok/fried. Mapo tofu is a classic cooked alongside ground beef and frankly you barely taste the tofu, most recipes you could chop it up finer than they do.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

blundercrush wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pmMapo tofu is a classic cooked alongside ground beef and frankly you barely taste the tofu, most recipes you could chop it up finer than they do.
I'm pretty sure this is half of why I fuck up tofu; I always try to make it the star rather than a component.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

mister d wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm
blundercrush wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pmMapo tofu is a classic cooked alongside ground beef and frankly you barely taste the tofu, most recipes you could chop it up finer than they do.
I'm pretty sure this is half of why I fuck up tofu; I always try to make it the star rather than a component.
Yeah you better be really familiar with a recipe to do something like that. It just doesn't have the taste to carry on its own in most dishes. Also traditional Mapo tofu is super spicy as a default for a reason.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife's friend, who is from Mexico, gave us a pot of her homemade pozole, which we had for dinner. Really good!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

blundercrush wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:07 pm
mister d wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm
Yeah you better be really familiar with a recipe to do something like that. It just doesn't have the taste to carry on its own in most dishes. Also traditional Mapo tofu is super spicy as a default for a reason.
Mapo tofu is really good. I had good luck with that the one time I made it.

I redeemed myself tonight...I made chicken katsu and it turned out just right.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 pm My wife's friend, who is from Mexico, gave us a pot of her homemade pozole, which we had for dinner. Really good!
Yum...posole is so good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Have to share this....I made this last night: Cold Spicy Kimchi Noodles with some grilled chicken that I marinated in soy, honey, sugar, garlic, ginger and gochujang, and it was really really good. Perfect for a hot summer night.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Been going big on the cool noodles this summer.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1. Did you do / have you done the kimchi or store bought?

2. Do you precook the noodles or just shock? I feel like I never plan this ahead and it never quite comes out how I want ... wondering if shocking is the issue.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:04 am 1. Did you do / have you done the kimchi or store bought?

When we bought our previous house, the sellers were Korean and had an enormous kimchi fermenting cooler in the dining room. I wanted to negotiate it into the deal since they were moving to a NYC apartment. My wife wouldn't let me, she didn't think I needed a 5 foot wide kimchi machine.

Dave, that recipe looks awesome, I need to try it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:04 am 1. Did you do / have you done the kimchi or store bought?
I had a jar of store-bought kimchi already in the refrigerator, which is sort of what planted the seed.
2. Do you precook the noodles or just shock? I feel like I never plan this ahead and it never quite comes out how I want ... wondering if shocking is the issue.
I did the noodles in boiling salted water for 1 1/2 minutes, then rinsed them in cold water and let them sit and cool down while I did everything. I also grilled the chicken then let it cool in the fridge.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone have an air fryer?

We had to buy a new range, and the model we got came with the 'Air Fryer' option.

And tips? Suggestions? I just used it to heat up some leftover pizza, and it did that pretty well.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pretty sure we have one, but I'm not sure it's been used. I know I haven't used it.

ETA - I should add that my wife has said that air fried food would likely pass my picky children's muster.

Also, my local mediterranean vegetarian place uses it to make falafel and it's delicious.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We do.

Anything you'd typically deep fry is excellent out of it. It also rules at grilled cheese and the like. I've also done veggies in it (Brussel sprouts, asparagus) that turned out pretty spectacular.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We just took my sister's since she never used hers and we've only done veggies (squash, zucchini, and asparagus) with parm and bread crumbs. They were delicious and kid-approved. We're going to try pork chops tomorrow.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I have one as well. Use it mainly for wings...I think it does a great job for that. Would like to try making cookies...just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yes. Nuggets. Fries. Pizza. Mostly worthwhile
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I've made some good crispy wings in ours.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Also, what's good for dinner? I'm starving. Didn't have breakfast.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm Also, what's good for dinner? I'm starving. Didn't have breakfast.
Had pork chops, fried cabbage and rice tonight. Was tasty.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 pm Also, what's good for dinner? I'm starving. Didn't have breakfast.
Grill a pork tenderloin. Especially if your meat market has one that's been marinated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tonight I will once again fail to replicate Momofuku’s chilled spicy noodles but, like every other time, it will likely still be good.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:02 pm Tonight I will once again fail to replicate Momofuku’s chilled spicy noodles but, like every other time, it will likely still be good.
Goddamn that dish is delicious.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:02 pm Tonight I will once again fail to replicate Momofuku’s chilled spicy noodles but, like every other time, it will likely still be good.
I see that being made very soon in the future...like tomorrow night in the future.

And, had the maiden voyage with doing tater tots in the air fryer. Verdict: very good. Nice and crispy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I forgot we didn't like the "turn the greens/herbs into pesto" trick. I'm pretty convinced at this point the key to making it great is using more chili oil than I can stomach putting on my own plate.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:00 am I forgot we didn't like the "turn the greens/herbs into pesto" trick. I'm pretty convinced at this point the key to making it great is using more chili oil than I can stomach putting on my own plate.
It's so damn good when Chang puts it on there though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The best. I just can't add that much fat to my own food, I need to barrier.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Got a link to a recipe somewhere?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's no official recipe, just a half dozen or so attempts that fail to copy it so you're probably best reading this then piecing things together as you like. It'll definitely come out good to very good.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bout to air fry some chicken nuggies, y'all.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

UPDATE: they were good.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:25 pm And, had the maiden voyage with doing tater tots in the air fryer. Verdict: very good. Nice and crispy.
Hmm, I might need to get an air fryer solely for this purpose.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

An air fryer is a smaller convection oven thank you for coming to my ted talk.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just did the thing where you make something (barbecue sauce) on the fly and will probably never recreate what worked so well even with the ingredients you mostly remember using.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:31 pm I just did the thing where you make something (barbecue sauce) on the fly and will probably never recreate what worked so well even with the ingredients you mostly remember using.
It’s bittersweet when that happens. Like you know you did it once, but you’ll be chasing it every time you attempt it in the future. Did that this weekend with some grilled chicken thighs that I beer brined, rubbed, and basted with bbq sauce. One of the best things I ever made and unsure of whether I’ll ever top it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm that way with Minestrone. First time I made it it was fantastic. Since, and I believe I've used the same recipe, it's not the same. Good, but not up to par with my original.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sometimes the produce you get is just better? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

About to air fry a microwave burrito, y'all.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

HotSauce and HotJam v2021 are packaged up. and do have a fair # of earlier versions as well.
pepper crop wasn't as generous this year as before (may have goofed in where i put the bed, too much shade).

can also be found on FB - @HotJuanSauceNJam

still working out the website details.