Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:19 pm
cerrano wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm

There’s something about the sweetness (carrots) with the spice that makes the feeling in my mouth enjoyable even for a time after I finish masticating whatever I put his sauce on. It’s just really enjoyable.
Yes. It's a bit different from a traditional hot sauce for this reason. I put some in carnitas and empanadas, and the sweetness makes every other flavor pop. Don't sleep on the pepper jelly. Made a PB&J with it yesterday. It really is one of the best jellies I've ever had, then the added bonus of the pepper kicks in and takes it over the top. AB inspired me to put it on a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese. That was a beautiful combination.
Covid galaxy brain thoughts right there.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ve never made good wings at home until tonight. Used the air fryer. Dredge was arrowroot starch(recipe called for potato starch but the store didn’t have and this was top alternative). Fried them for 20 minutes at 380. Flipped them then another 7-8 minutes at 400 flipping regularly. Then just a basic Buffalo sauce. Easily the best wings I’ve ever made myself.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 pm I’ve never made good wings at home until tonight. Used the air fryer. Dredge was arrowroot starch(recipe called for potato starch but the store didn’t have and this was top alternative). Fried them for 20 minutes at 380. Flipped them then another 7-8 minutes at 400 flipping regularly. Then just a basic Buffalo sauce. Easily the best wings I’ve ever made myself.
yeah, the air fryer has been a godsend for chicken cooking purposes. our go-to easy meal a couple nights per week is chicken in the air fryer with a salad

would honestly eat that every night as an easy way to eat healthily but the lack of variety would get old
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Same here with wings in the air fryer although I’ve just done them naked and they still turnout great.

To clarify it’s the wings that are naked, not me.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Made Onion Rolls today. Pretty tasty!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Speaking of onions. I had French onion soup tonight from a local carry out. Never had it before. I didn’t love it but I also don’t think it was authentic(no bread just croutons and Ilthe cheese was shredded . So I’d like to try to make or get it from people who know how to make it. This was a pre mixed base I think. Post your recipes here.
Last edited by A_B on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Got no recipes, but I'm overall a French Onion fan, though the quality varies wildly, in my experience. Can't imagine a soup that's meant to have the cheese melted onto the bowl is easily replicated for delivery. The onions need to be softened but not soggy. The cheese needs a good char. The toast should be dark and semi stale.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:51 pm Got no recipes, but I'm overall a French Onion fan, though the quality varies wildly, in my experience. Can't imagine a soup that's meant to have the cheese melted onto the bowl is easily replicated for delivery. The onions need to be softened but not soggy. The cheese needs a good char. The toast should be dark and semi stale.
Yeah it had no toast just some croutons and the cheese wasn’t legit gruyere or whatever is correct. Definitely a swing and a miss.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't let it spoil you from trying again. Done well, it's one of my favorites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:55 pm Don't let it spoil you from trying again. Done well, it's one of my favorites.
Yeah I think it’s something I would enjoy if done right.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s one of those foods that’s like 4 ingredients but fucking any of them up (the beef stock, usually) tanks the end product. The one I loved growing up is from a place that doesn’t exist anymore.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:43 pm Speaking of onions. I had French onion soup tonight from a local carry out. Never had it before. I didn’t love it but I also don’t think it was authentic(no bread just croutons and Ilthe cheese was shredded . So I’d like to try to make or get it from people who know how to make it. This was a pre mixed base I think. Post your recipes here.
I LOVE a good french onion soup. But to echo everyone else, it's really easy to mess up. And I definitely wouldn't try to get it as take away.

Here's a reasonable recipe: French Onion Soup
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife makes great french onion soup. I’ll speak to her and follow up with her recipe.

Personally, I don’t know much, but I know you should use gruyére cheese.

ETA:
OK, here's her recipe, as best I can convey it:

Ingredients:
3 medium sweet onions (sliced up)
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans beef broth
2 tablespoons flour (plus or minus for desired thickness of soup broth)
1 to 1 1/3 cups red wine
Dashes of black pepper (more or less, to taste)
8 oz. package gruyére cheese, cut in slices (or grated, if you prefer)
1 long loaf French bread

In a medium soup pot, cook onions in butter. (About 30 minutes or until tender and brown - stir occasionally.)
Add beef broth and pepper to onions in pot.
Whisk flour into red wine, and add to soup pot.
Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
Slice bread into thin slices (thickness to your preference)
Place slice of French bread at bottom of each of four oven-proof soup bowls.
Place slice of cheese on top of each piece of bread.
Ladle in hot soup over top of cheese and bread. Leave a bit of room to:
Top with another piece of bread, with a couple slices of cheese on top of it.
Put bowls in oven on broil. Watch closely. Remove from oven when cheese is melted and golden brown. Bread may toast slightly.
Serve remaining French bread with the soup.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Made a fresh batch this past sunday-- bit different ingredients (added pineapple to balance out the ghost pepppers.. not so many habaneros in this one), but sill plenty hot. Have plenty to ship out -- Jam too --

once these are gone, won't be making any new batches until after we move -- and i laid down some new plants. good chance i'll be making it in a commercial kitchen next time.

so place your orders!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd definitely take another batch.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'd be in for some spicy jam.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'd take one.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

PM your address...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am My wife makes great french onion soup. I’ll speak to her and follow up with her recipe.

ETA:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans beef broth
1 to 1 1/3 cups red wine
1 long loaf French bread

In a medium soup pot, cook onions in butter. (About 30 minutes or until tender and brown - stir occasionally.)
Put bowls in oven on broil. Watch closely. Remove from oven when cheese is melted and golden brown. Bread may toast slightly.
I'm wondering if this recipe works as well with something other than beef broth? I don't eat beef. Do the Swamp chefs think veggie broth or chicken broth would work in this recipe?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've tried and its definitely not the same. Its not like its a bad soup, but if you're expecting it to taste like real french onion it won't.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:45 am My wife makes great french onion soup. I’ll speak to her and follow up with her recipe.

ETA:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cans beef broth
1 to 1 1/3 cups red wine
1 long loaf French bread

I'm wondering if this recipe works as well with something other than beef broth? I don't eat beef. Do the Swamp chefs think veggie broth or chicken broth would work in this recipe?
I have often wondered the same since the wife is vegetarian. My guess is you're looking for that rib sticking umami. My immediate thought is trying to make a deep mushroom broth? Never have tried though. Maybe a good winter project.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

You don't need extra wine in FOS (more for the chef lolz,) but typically I had a bit of wine and some soy sauce to mushroom broth. Takes you a couple more stations toward flavor town.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:26 amI'd take one.
need an address to ship to
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Got a rib roast for Xmas for me and my better half. I’ve done the prime rib a few ways but what is y’all’s go to rub and recipe?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Holy hell. My wife asked the daughter what she wanted for dinner for her first night back home tomorrow. Kid says "daddy's steaks."

Folks, I am pretty on the record that I suck at steaks. Which goes to show you that she hasn't been hitting up any steakhouses during quarantine I guess. So, any suggestions, fire my way. I usually just use salt and pepper and then try to get the heat right.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm not the best at steaks, either. My big problem is knowing the optimal time to take it off the grill. But, I'll share my limited knowledge. 1. Make sure the meat warms to room temperature before grilling. 2. I put a bit of spray cooking oil on the side that goes against the grill first. 3. Get the grill HOT, so you can sear the meat at the beginning. I then back the heat off a bit. Turn only once. Let it rest a few minutes after you take it off the grill, before cutting the meat.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go get a sous vide.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thickish steak fixes a lot of cooking problems. Super hot stove or grill. Girl just loves her dad so no worries about the steak.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:20 pm Holy hell. My wife asked the daughter what she wanted for dinner for her first night back home tomorrow. Kid says "daddy's steaks."

Folks, I am pretty on the record that I suck at steaks. Which goes to show you that she hasn't been hitting up any steakhouses during quarantine I guess. So, any suggestions, fire my way. I usually just use salt and pepper and then try to get the heat right.
Salt and pepper is all you need (heavy on the salt, easy on the pepper). If want to spice it up a bit find a season or rub recipe online that utilizes spices that you like (I made a cocoa powder/coffee rub once) or buy something special (I have a black pepper sea salt, applewood smoked sea salt and a ghost pepper sea salt that I’ve acquired at various different times that I’ve used off and on).

If the steaks are around 1.25” follow what SC said about the heat and getting the meat get to room temp...let them sit out for 30 minutes or so. Go for 4 minutes per side max. If the steaks are thicker cook a little longer each side by 1 or 2 minutes. Also make sure to rest them after pulling them off the grill...I cover or wrap mine in foil and let them sit for 5 minutes or so.

Personally, I load mine up blue cheese the last minute or two on the grill but that’s just me...
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

cerrano wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:44 pm Got a rib roast for Xmas for me and my better half. I’ve done the prime rib a few ways but what is y’all’s go to rub and recipe?
The rub I use is cocoa powder, paprika and ancho chili powder. Use a couple tbsp of cocoa powder and a couple tsp each of the ancho and paprika. I don’t really have a recipe other than tying the roast and brown at 500 for 15 minutes then going to a lower heat for the cooking...usually 325 for ~10 minutes per pound.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:20 pm Holy hell. My wife asked the daughter what she wanted for dinner for her first night back home tomorrow. Kid says "daddy's steaks."

Boston steakhouses really aren't a thing. What are you working with? BGE or something similar? Stove top?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

ETA - what am I talking about? Do whatever you previously did for her.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whenever I'm wondering about a recipe to try or style of cooking to use, I go YouTube.

Kenji, Babish, Matty Matheson, recently Sam The Cooking Guy or anyone like Alton Brown just nails it.

For a steak, reverse sear:

French Onion:

And then there's this heavenly concoction of America:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:26 pm ETA - what am I talking about? Do whatever you previously did for her.
That’s the thing. I have no idea what I did.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Big fan of the cast iron dear and finish in a hot oven but lately I’ve been going to the stovetop sear and baste with aromatics. Love the results but haven’t done a big thick ribeye yet. This is all less than 1 inch cheap cuts.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 pm Whenever I'm wondering about a recipe to try or style of cooking to use, I go YouTube.

Kenji, Babish, Matty Matheson, recently Sam The Cooking Guy or anyone like Alton Brown just nails it.

And then there's this heavenly concoction of America:

I watched this last night before I nodded off. I need to make this.
Noli Timere Messorem
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

4oz jar sent to AB
4oz jar sent to chedda

waited til saturday to mail -- that was a mistake .. post office had one clerk..
anyone else- will go out on boxing day.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:16 am Big fan of the cast iron dear and finish in a hot oven but lately I’ve been going to the stovetop sear and baste with aromatics. Love the results but haven’t done a big thick ribeye yet. This is all less than 1 inch cheap cuts.
My challenge has always been smoke. Even after letting the beef sit out and patting it dry with a paper towel I still get a shitload of smoke...any suggestions?

I've thrown some butter on after the sear but before the oven so I realize that's part of it but I've gotten smoke from just the meat and the skillet.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I ended up making them on the grill. Got good marks from the grill and the kid. I had a New York strip that I felt was one of the better ones I’ve made. The rest had top sirloin. One of them got a bit over cooked but overall they were in the medium-rare to medium sweet spot