Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 pm

For the most part I don’t like cheese + mayo and mayo is a must on a fried chicken sandwich so I’m with you.

(But I’m curious what kind of cheese.)
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16871
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by A_B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm

mister d wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 pm
For the most part I don’t like cheese + mayo and mayo is a must on a fried chicken sandwich so I’m with you.

(But I’m curious what kind of cheese.)
Good point. My grilled sammies I use bbq and bacon and no Mayo. Sometimes a spicy aioli which is basically Mayo but not plain Mayo.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12065
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by sancarlos » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:31 pm

Sabo wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:03 pm
Making fried chicken (fried in bacon fat!) sandwiches tonight with bacon, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Yum.
Man, that sounds good!

Unhealthy, but tasty!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12065
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by sancarlos » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm

Not that I’m complaining. We are having stuffed peppers tonight. Bell peppers stuffed with a combination of lamb, beef, onion, garlic and other stuff.

Mint juleps beforehand (Basil Hayden).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16871
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by A_B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:00 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm
Not that I’m complaining. We are having stuffed peppers tonight. Bell peppers stuffed with a combination of lamb, beef, onion, garlic and other stuff.

Mint juleps beforehand (Basil Hayden).
Mutton to it.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12591
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by The Sybian » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm

bfj wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Rosh Hashanah dinner tonight:
Matzo Ball Soup
Gefilte Fish
Brisket with potatoes and carrots
Teriyaki salmon
Green beans almondine
Corn soufflé
Green Salad
Challah

Pie a la mode
Chocolate Chip Cake

There are 5 of us.
I didn't even realize it was Rosh Hashanah and grilled cheeseburgers. Oops.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm

Why won't Sabo tell us what kind of cheese?
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Nacho.

(Nacho business!)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

elflaco2
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by elflaco2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm

first batch of hot sauce'20 is done -- actually about six weeks ago
first batch of berry pepper jam is done
have another pound of peppers.. and waiting for the ghost peppers to turn color - will try to make a second batch of both

habanero and cerrano peppers grown on my deck and side yard
berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberries, blackberry) from local farms
carrots and tomatoes from local farms
citrus (lemon, lime, oj) not local but organic

most of the hot sauce is gone the rest is spoken for -reviews are excellent to date
jam.. only the boy, missus and dog have tried it --
i think the jam is pretty awesome.

jersey boys.. any interest?

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by BSF21 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:30 pm

elflaco2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm
first batch of hot sauce'20 is done -- actually about six weeks ago
first batch of berry pepper jam is done
have another pound of peppers.. and waiting for the ghost peppers to turn color - will try to make a second batch of both

habanero and cerrano peppers grown on my deck and side yard
berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberries, blackberry) from local farms
carrots and tomatoes from local farms
citrus (lemon, lime, oj) not local but organic

most of the hot sauce is gone the rest is spoken for -reviews are excellent to date
jam.. only the boy, missus and dog have tried it --
i think the jam is pretty awesome.

jersey boys.. any interest?
Was I still one of the spoken for and forgot about it or did it all go byebye
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

elflaco2
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by elflaco2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:46 pm

i've lost track.
i know someone had posted they wanted me to ship one jar -- but i forgot the thread.
and recently in a jeeves thread someone asked for a jar as well.

sorry. dunno.
PM me info.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7475
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Just taught my kids how to master the George Forman Grill. I have not plugged that thing in since before I had my son (14.5 years ago). And I may never have to cook dinner again.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Ha. We cleaned our garage out a couple of weeks ago and found a most likely equally neglected GF grill and tossed it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:52 pm

I'm bringing an instant pot to Korea.

Despite living in the dorms, I won't get to eat chow hall food for free. So I have to cook.

I think it's going to be a lifesaver while I'm there.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by cerrano » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:52 pm
I'm bringing an instant pot to Korea.

Despite living in the dorms, I won't get to eat chow hall food for free. So I have to cook.

I think it's going to be a lifesaver while I'm there.
Really? For some reason I thought the army would provide the 3 squares but I guess it’s more like you have to buy a meal plan at college or it’s like getting transferred to another city while working at a private company? (Not saying you’d rather eat mess chow)
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm

It has to do with my rank mostly. They give me BAS (basic allowance for subsistence) and tell me to get my own food. Lower ranks don't get BAS and therefore "eat for free."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
cerrano
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by cerrano » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm
It has to do with my rank mostly. They give me BAS (basic allowance for subsistence) and tell me to get my own food. Lower ranks don't get BAS and therefore "eat for free."
Got it. Love me the instant pot. The only downside is you don’t get to enjoy the cooking aromas for hours on end but when you can do shredded Buffalo chicken sliders in 20 minutes start to finish, it’s worth it.
"i'm just a middle-aged black woman trying to get into the senate."

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4960
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm

cerrano wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm
It has to do with my rank mostly. They give me BAS (basic allowance for subsistence) and tell me to get my own food. Lower ranks don't get BAS and therefore "eat for free."
Got it. Love me the instant pot. The only downside is you don’t get to enjoy the cooking aromas for hours on end but when you can do shredded Buffalo chicken sliders in 20 minutes start to finish, it’s worth it.
I've found the only thing I break out the instant pot for is either making pork carnitas or hard boiled eggs. Otherwise its down in the basement storage room.

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12073
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Johnnie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm
cerrano wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Johnnie wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm
It has to do with my rank mostly. They give me BAS (basic allowance for subsistence) and tell me to get my own food. Lower ranks don't get BAS and therefore "eat for free."
Got it. Love me the instant pot. The only downside is you don’t get to enjoy the cooking aromas for hours on end but when you can do shredded Buffalo chicken sliders in 20 minutes start to finish, it’s worth it.
I've found the only thing I break out the instant pot for is either making pork carnitas or hard boiled eggs. Otherwise its down in the basement storage room.
Well...when you have a kitchen, sure. I'll have a dorm room.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Eat what those lower ranks eat and you’ll have BAS* for sure!



* Big Ass Shits
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

elflaco2
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by elflaco2 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am

BSF21 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:30 pm
elflaco2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm
first batch of hot sauce'20 is done -- actually about six weeks ago
first batch of berry pepper jam is done
have another pound of peppers.. and waiting for the ghost peppers to turn color - will try to make a second batch of both

habanero and cerrano peppers grown on my deck and side yard
berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberries, blackberry) from local farms
carrots and tomatoes from local farms
citrus (lemon, lime, oj) not local but organic

most of the hot sauce is gone the rest is spoken for -reviews are excellent to date
jam.. only the boy, missus and dog have tried it --
i think the jam is pretty awesome.

jersey boys.. any interest?
Was I still one of the spoken for and forgot about it or did it all go byebye
got my act together.. got labels.. funky design (homemade) boxes and packing material.
Dsafe is first recipient... if it goes well... then more will go out -- pm me -- just saw i have four RED ghost peppers on the vine.. well, sort of orangey.. so likely will make another batch of jam (or sauce) this weekend) -- will set price after Dsafe reviews it.. even though we met, he doesn't have to be nice to my face and tell me its great.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by BSF21 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am

elflaco2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am
BSF21 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:30 pm
elflaco2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm
first batch of hot sauce'20 is done -- actually about six weeks ago
first batch of berry pepper jam is done
have another pound of peppers.. and waiting for the ghost peppers to turn color - will try to make a second batch of both

habanero and cerrano peppers grown on my deck and side yard
berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberries, blackberry) from local farms
carrots and tomatoes from local farms
citrus (lemon, lime, oj) not local but organic

most of the hot sauce is gone the rest is spoken for -reviews are excellent to date
jam.. only the boy, missus and dog have tried it --
i think the jam is pretty awesome.

jersey boys.. any interest?
Was I still one of the spoken for and forgot about it or did it all go byebye
got my act together.. got labels.. funky design (homemade) boxes and packing material.
Dsafe is first recipient... if it goes well... then more will go out -- pm me -- just saw i have four RED ghost peppers on the vine.. well, sort of orangey.. so likely will make another batch of jam (or sauce) this weekend) -- will set price after Dsafe reviews it.. even though we met, he doesn't have to be nice to my face and tell me its great.
Awesome. I'll ballpark around 10,000/bottle and see if DSafe tells you to come down from there.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5748
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:53 am

elflaco2 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 am
BSF21 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:30 pm
elflaco2 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm
most of the hot sauce is gone the rest is spoken for -reviews are excellent to date
jam.. only the boy, missus and dog have tried it --
i think the jam is pretty awesome.

jersey boys.. any interest?
Was I still one of the spoken for and forgot about it or did it all go byebye
got my act together.. got labels.. funky design (homemade) boxes and packing material.
Dsafe is first recipient... if it goes well... then more will go out -- pm me -- just saw i have four RED ghost peppers on the vine.. well, sort of orangey.. so likely will make another batch of jam (or sauce) this weekend) -- will set price after Dsafe reviews it.. even though we met, he doesn't have to be nice to my face and tell me its great.
Taste is one of those things that is completely subjective. While I will post my opinion, that's no reason to trust it.

Looking forward to the mail arriving in a couple days, knowing that the family is leaving for the three-day weekend, which should provide many opportunities to give it a whirl.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5748
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 am

Obi-Juan's Jam arrived on Friday, which was perfect timing since my wife was taking the kids to her step-mother's for the long weekend. I didn't get a chance to try it out until yesterday morning.

Strawberries and habaneros pictured on the label, so that's what I expected and that's what was delivered. I tasted a little bit from a spoon first. You get a taste of the berries immediately, not strong. As the berries fade, the peppers come in with a slow-building heat that never got uncomfortably hot. The burn lasted in the back of my mouth and throat after swallowing, then eventually faded.

I added it to a breakfast burrito (ham, egg, cheese, bacon) and it worked nicely. I went light on it because I wasn't sure how it would work out overall. Next time, I will use more, as it mostly got lost in everything else (the bacon, in particular). There were a couple bites where I bit more of the jam where I mostly got the burn on the back end and not much of the fruit. Will do it again later this week with more jam.

Would recommend unless you have an aversion to the peppers. Again, heat is not overwhelming and should not scare people off if intrigued.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

elflaco2
Maude Lebowski
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by elflaco2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:00 pm

new batch cooked up this past weekend --
last batch i shipped out 25 4oz jars..
also have some of the hot sauce jars too (4 and 8oz)
PM me if interested... same deal as DSG - if i ship it to you, will let you know the shipping cost and my paypal -- you pay what you think is right.
will be ready to ship on friday (wont be able to get to UPS or post office until then)

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:10 pm

elflaco2 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:00 pm
new batch cooked up this past weekend --
last batch i shipped out 25 4oz jars..
also have some of the hot sauce jars too (4 and 8oz)
PM me if interested... same deal as DSG - if i ship it to you, will let you know the shipping cost and my paypal -- you pay what you think is right.
will be ready to ship on friday (wont be able to get to UPS or post office until then)
ok ok ok
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5748
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:43 pm

I would like some of the hot sauce, if at all possible. 4-ounce is fine, unless demand is low and you want to get rid of an 8-ounce jar.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:49 pm

I've never made what I consider to be knockout chili. I think its because I've never committed to using whole meat vs ground meats.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by BSF21 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:50 pm

mister d wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:49 pm
I've never made what I consider to be knockout chili. I think its because I've never committed to using whole meat vs ground meats.
I got a recipe for you if you're feeling froggy
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Hit me.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:53 pm

My parents always made it with whole meat (cubed London broil or some such) and I used to do the same thing but at some point my wife told me she preferred ground beef and it's so much less work that way that I never really went back.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20269
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by mister d » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 pm

The thing is, I'm not sure if mine is good, bad or other because I think I'm just tired of mine. Even variations off the standard always seem to be mine-ish to the point where I need a major shakeup.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm generally happy enough to eat mine, but I get you and that's probably why I enjoyed making and eating the Defector green chicken chili a couple of weeks ago.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12065
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by sancarlos » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:08 pm

mister d wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 pm
The thing is, I'm not sure if mine is good, bad or other because I think I'm just tired of mine. Even variations off the standard always seem to be mine-ish to the point where I need a major shakeup.
I like my mom’s chili. I love my wife’s chili. I like any decent chili, unless you spice it so heavily that it burns your mouth. Also, it has to be New Mexico-style (with beans). Texas-style (sans beans) is just missing something. (I think it’s beans)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16871
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by A_B » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:15 pm

I am generally team san carlos. I've made it any number of different ways, and I generally go back to ground beef
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 6181
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by Rush2112 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm for beans as well. Typically 2-3 types of beans. I usually use ground beef but went on a veggie chili bender a few years ago using TVP in place of ground beef.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12591
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by The Sybian » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:39 am

Made Chili on Friday. I always mix it up and make different variations. This time I used ground beef and andouille. I like beans, but keep it to a small amount. Flank steak is usually in the mix. I like multiple cuts of meat to add some texture. I use a mix of peppers, but this time I added a smokey hot sauce that added a great depth to the chili.

Here is where I'm going to lose most of you. Until my daughter finally stepped up to the plate, I'm the only one who eats chili in the house, so I get 4 or 5 meals out of it. To mix it up, I'll add it to spaghetti one day, or basmati rice. Friday I substituted butternut squash cut into spaghetti-shaped strands. Sacrilege, I know, but the sweetness of the squash with the heat and smoke was a great combo.

The problem with my daughter liking chili, I need to separate her portion before I add the peppers. Friday I didn't make any for her, and damn was she pissed. She insisted on eating it, and used half a bag of taco cheese to dampen the heat. Proud of her determination, but that can't be healthy to eat that much cheese.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14337
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by rass » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 am

40+ year-old shovelling red meat and pasta into his mouth worrying about a super-active tween eating too much cheese
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12591
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by The Sybian » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:50 am

rass wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 am
40+ year-old shovelling red meat and pasta into his mouth worrying about a super-active tween eating too much cheese
I gave up the pasta for squash, dammit! And I worry about the cheese, because I'm the one who plunges the stopped up toilets.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
BSF21
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4670
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm
Location: Playing one off the Monster

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by BSF21 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:45 am

mister d wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:51 pm
Hit me.
This is what we make for a Christmas party every year. I highly recommend 2 things.

1) "Good Stew Meat" is taken as far as you can with it. I wouldn't use fillet, but get some good top round with some fat in it and instead of browning it all together, brown it in batches, taking care not to scorch the fond on the bottom and make sure that all gets good a deglazed and back into the tomatoes and add the meat back in there.

2) Red kidney beans and black beans give this more body and I like beans. We normally make one batch with and one without.

3 since no one asked) Make some plain elbow macaroni, put a little bit in the bottom of the bowl, top with chili and cheddar. If you're super into it, get some oyster crackers from the store and head up a little minced garlic in some oil in a pan, toss the crackers in there to coat and hit them with a bunch of rough chopped fresh parsley. Game changer.

This has been my Ted talk. I'm sure everyone else likes their Chili a different way and I can respect them all unless you start bringing that Cincinnati cinnamon cardamom serve it in a cinnamon roll bullshit in my house.

Image
Last edited by BSF21 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."

Post Reply