Nice Things

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Nice Things

Post by Pruitt »

Can't remember if we have a thread where we discuss things that aren't actually fucked up.

Billionaire Robert F. Smith pledges to pay off Morehouse College Class of 2019′s student loans
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Nice Things

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Made me smile!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Thread's worth a click.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A dusty warning would’ve been nice.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 pm A dusty warning would’ve been nice.
So I think I saw it before she posted the update. But yeah, that thread would have worked too.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Via Shea Serrano's Twitter:

Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So, my oldest is in NYC this week in advance of the Governor's Ball festival. She and a friend are staying in a budget hotel in the Upper West side and generally just exploring the city. Yesterday she calls my wife in a panic. She's lost her wallet and doesn't know where. She knows the last place she used it, so she checked there, then also checked the subway stops on wither side of her last trip for lost and found. Nothing.

Of course we cancel her debit card and credit card she has for emergencies and work out a way to get her a prepaid debit card but generally she's worried that it's going to ruin her trip, but luckily her friend is able to lend her a card until the debit arrives today (they were separating last night as the friend was going to a show on Broadway and my daughter didn't want to plunk the money down for tickets - the only damn thing she hasn't spend on mind you...they ate at momofuku yesterday) so we think we've covered it and just hope she doesn't need an ID at any point.

Anyway, fast forward to today...she gets a direct message on instagram. It's from someone who says they have her wallet and would be happy to meet to pick it up. So her and her friend go and meet..which makes me cringe a bit, but hey, she's been in Boston, she can handle a New Yorker...and they get the wallet back no problem, all the cash still in there and everything. Person refuses a reward, maybe because the daughter didn't think to offer immediately and instead messaged them afterwards. Anyway, a random person used social media to get my daughter's stuff back to her. That's pretty nice.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm So, my oldest is in NYC this week in advance of the Governor's Ball festival. She and a friend are staying in a budget hotel in the Upper West side and generally just exploring the city. Yesterday she calls my wife in a panic. She's lost her wallet and doesn't know where. She knows the last place she used it, so she checked there, then also checked the subway stops on wither side of her last trip for lost and found. Nothing.

Of course we cancel her debit card and credit card she has for emergencies and work out a way to get her a prepaid debit card but generally she's worried that it's going to ruin her trip, but luckily her friend is able to lend her a card until the debit arrives today (they were separating last night as the friend was going to a show on Broadway and my daughter didn't want to plunk the money down for tickets - the only damn thing she hasn't spend on mind you...they ate at momofuku yesterday) so we think we've covered it and just hope she doesn't need an ID at any point.

Anyway, fast forward to today...she gets a direct message on instagram. It's from someone who says they have her wallet and would be happy to meet to pick it up. So her and her friend go and meet..which makes me cringe a bit, but hey, she's been in Boston, she can handle a New Yorker...and they get the wallet back no problem, all the cash still in there and everything. Person refuses a reward, maybe because the daughter didn't think to offer immediately and instead messaged them afterwards. Anyway, a random person used social media to get my daughter's stuff back to her. That's pretty nice.
That's pretty awesome. I did the same thing when I was on the Strip after a VGK game a few months ago for someone (I was playing poker and after she left I found her wallet under the table). I looked her up on Facebook and sent her a message, but I was going home so just let her know that I had left it (with all of the money intact obvs) with hotel security.

You'd hope most people would do the same even if it's probably not true.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 pm So, my oldest is in NYC this week in advance of the Governor's Ball festival. She and a friend are staying in a budget hotel in the Upper West side and generally just exploring the city. Yesterday she calls my wife in a panic. She's lost her wallet and doesn't know where. She knows the last place she used it, so she checked there, then also checked the subway stops on wither side of her last trip for lost and found. Nothing.

Awesome story. I opened the thread, then got a phone call and forgot what thread I was in as I read this, and I was cringing waiting for something bad. Saving money instead of going to a Broadway show was the best part of the story. That's how I know you raised her right. Unless the show was Book of Mormon, I'd see that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If she's going to walk the Brooklyn Bridge ...
mister d wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm Had a chicken banh mi yesterday that completely reset the bar for banh mi and perhaps french sandwich bread as well. Just a stunner.
Bread & Spread. Their storefront is 151 Front St. in DUMBO but the banh mi is at their stand 2-3 doors to the left.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Awesome story. I opened the thread, then got a phone call and forgot what thread I was in as I read this, and I was cringing waiting for something bad. Saving money instead of going to a Broadway show was the best part of the story. That's how I know you raised her right. Unless the show was Book of Mormon, I'd see that.
I didn't even tell you guys that they're going to Yankees-Sawx tonight!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

About that ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:40 pm About that ...
Yup
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Those guys are white.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The current # of pages in The Swamp.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

David Byrne's behind a new publication/website that is dedicated to highlighting solutions to problems.

Just started reading it, but seems like a positive antidote to most things I read online.

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I thought you were talking about Pickle Rick.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a nice thing until we have an army of Robocops laying waste to the heartland.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

This morning my boss offered to pay the cost of a flight home for me at Xmas to see my family.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Baloney wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:41 pm This morning my boss offered to pay the cost of a flight home for me at Xmas to see my family.
One way or round trip?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Round ;)

Been kinda nice since I threatened to quit a few weeks back
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Holy shit, just saw this. Weird, since I commented on Pickle Rick earlier today...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:20 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Holy shit, just saw this. Weird, since I commented on Pickle Rick earlier today...
One of the earliest "Rick and Morty's" involved dogs who could walk.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That was the first episode I saw where I was like, "yep, this show is something I need to watch".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Guess this can go here:

Fracking Banned in the UK
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NOT A NICE THING: My wife’s supervisor’s mother in law passed over the weekend.

ANOTHER SLIGHTLY LESS UNFORTUNATE THING: She was a huge Mets fan (there was a giant Mets themed floral display next her casket)

A NICE THING: A friend of their family is friend with long time Meta PR guy, Jay Horwitz. The MIL loved Jay Bruce during his time with the Mets, and they were able to get Bruce to call late last week and leave her a message that she heard before she passed away.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brighton And Hove Albion Are Mensches
"“We have taken the decision as a club to continue paying the vast majority of our matchday staff for the remainder of the season, whether or not we play the five remaining Premier League games.

“We feel that is really important, whether we play the games in a full stadium, behind closed doors or at all, we want those staff to know they’ve got their pay coming to them."
Also donating food that would have been served in the hospitality suites to local homeless charities.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pretty amazing skill by the operator here.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is wonderful - put the day's first smile on my face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:45 am Pretty amazing skill by the operator here.
Very impressive.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »