Updated Swamp Travel Advice: Vancouver

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Updated Swamp Travel Advice: Vancouver

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm heading to Vancouver next month for a long weekend. We discussed some things to do a few year ago. Anybody got any recent recommendations for food/beer and things to do?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Updated Swamp Travel Advice: Vancouver

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 pm I'm heading to Vancouver next month for a long weekend. We discussed some things to do a few year ago. Anybody got any recent recommendations for food/beer and things to do?
Vancouver is a great place. Stanley Park is big, pretty, and has a nice aquarium. My wife and I rented tandem bikes and rode all around, there. The Yaletown district has lots of clubs, bars, and restaurants. And, Granville Street does also, but skews to a younger demographic.

If you have time, catch a ferry over to Victoria. As they say, it's "more British than Britain". And, Buchart Gardens is very nice, if you are into that sort of thing.

The wife and I did Victoria and Vancouver for our honeymoon 25 years ago, so it has sentimental value for us.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Definitely check out the Anthropology museum on the UBC campus. Its awesome (Big Ass Totem Poles!). And watch the sunset from English Bay beach. Its quite a scene.

Ditto the recommendation of renting bikes and riding around Stanley Park. The Aquarium used to be cool, but its been years since I've been there. Granville Island is cool, if a bit over-run with tourists. GasTown is cool, but can get kinda seedy in places.

And if you want to get really wild, check out Wreck Beach. Its 'clothing-optional'...
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Thanks. This is my third trip up there. During my first trip the wife and I did Victoria/Buchart Gardens and enjoyed it. The only problem was the date...September 11, 2001. Good times getting back into the US...

I definitely plan on hitting up the Anthropology museum.
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This may be an obvious point, especially if you've been there 2x already, but Vancouver is rumored to be the originator of the CA roll and it's where I had, by far, the best sushi of my life. Went to a place recommended in an article and it blew us away.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pmI definitely plan on hitting up the Anthropology museum.
You sound like my wife oh I thought you said Anthropologie LOL ha ha.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm This may be an obvious point, especially if you've been there 2x already, but Vancouver is rumored to be the originator of the CA roll and it's where I had, by far, the best sushi of my life. Went to a place recommended in an article and it blew us away.
Do you remember the name of the place?
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm This may be an obvious point, especially if you've been there 2x already, but Vancouver is rumored to be the originator of the CA roll and it's where I had, by far, the best sushi of my life. Went to a place recommended in an article and it blew us away.
Do you remember the name of the place?
I'm trying to find it on Fb, but coming up short. We did carry out and my daughter was also getting a crepe at some joint with a sidewalk window... kind of whirlwind night.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I haven't been in 25 years, but I have a couple of friends out there if you want restaurant recommendations.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm I haven't been in 25 years, but I have a couple of friends out there if you want restaurant recommendations.
If you can get some that would be great. Anything but Chinese.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:04 pmI definitely plan on hitting up the Anthropology museum.
You sound like my wife oh I thought you said Anthropologie LOL ha ha.
Parallel lives, my friend.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:37 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:52 pm I haven't been in 25 years, but I have a couple of friends out there if you want restaurant recommendations.
If you can get some that would be great. Anything but Chinese.
Vij's is generally acknowledged as one of the best Indian restaurants in North America. The Lamp popsicles are out of this world.