NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

NBA Offseason

Post by A_B »

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by L-Jam3 »

Great haul for the Pellies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:38 pm Great haul for the Pellies.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the Pelicans have more trades planned and they flip Lonzo and/or the #4 pick.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For context:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think the Pelicans did about as well as possible, given Rich Paul’s efforts to depress the market for Davis elsewhere besides LA. They can do even better, IMO, if they can turn Lonzo and/or the 4th pick into an established player.

On the other side, the Lakers absolutely had to do this. With LeBron turning 35 this offseason and the Warriors likely to take a big step back in 2019-20 due to the Klay injury and Durant injury/departure, the Lakers need to be all-in on this upcoming season. Reports coming out that Kemba will be their big free agent target, although I think Butler is the better option among guys likely to be available.*

*I’m assuming that Kyrie is headed to the Nets, Thompson stays with the Warriors, Kawhi picks Raptors or Clippers, Middleton stays with the Bucks, and that Durant goes to the Knicks but either way misses all of next season.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Full details:

Those two swaps down the line could end up being bonuses for the Pelicans if AD walks after one year (his agent said he was still going to explore free agency) or if LeBron gets hurt again.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bidding against yourself
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:42 amBidding against yourself
Well, when your ass is hung out to dry when a franchise legend leaves the front office and LeBron's agent is pulling strings, you don't have much choice but to save face. Lakers got their guy and... we'll see how much space they have left and what they can do with it.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:42 amBidding against yourself
Well, when your ass is hung out to dry when a franchise legend leaves the front office and LeBron's agent is pulling strings, you don't have much choice but to save face. Lakers got their guy and... we'll see how much space they have left and what they can do with it.
Yeah, the Lakers absolutely had to do this trade, even though they gave up a lot. They still have a lot of work to do on free agency to fill out the roster — and who knows if Pelinka can competently handle that task. But they’ll also be the only team in the NBA next season that has two of the top 6 players in the league.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

LeBron is number six?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:47 pm LeBron is number six?
You shut your whore mouth!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

With Durant out for the season, I guess it’s Kawhi, Harden, Curry, AD, Zion....and then Lebron?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giannis?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:49 pmGiannis?
Hey, I’m not the one trying to shoehorn Lebron into the top 6.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Zion over LeBron for 2019-20, eh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

FWIW, I was thinking that the top-3 is Kawhi, LeBron and Giannis in some order, followed by Curry and Harden, then Davis at #6. Seven through ten would be some combo of Dame, George, Jokic and Embiid. This isn’t the same thing as most valuable regular season player, where Giannis and Harden were clearly the best last year, but rather who you’d want for a playoff run. And Durant would certainly be in the top-4 but for his injury.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:35 pm FWIW, I was thinking that the top-3 is Kawhi, LeBron and Giannis in some order, followed by Curry and Harden, then Davis at #6. Seven through ten would be some combo of Dame, George, Jokic and Embiid. This isn’t the same thing as most valuable regular season player, where Giannis and Harden were clearly the best last year, but rather who you’d want for a playoff run. And Durant would certainly be in the top-4 but for his injury.
Pretty sure they were fucking with me, the Lebron Stan.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Well you've got to get to the playoffs with some sort of positioning so legs and injuries have to be part of the deal. Not sold that LeBron will be LeBron next year. Really feel like those days are done.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He didn’t have to play 100+ games last season so that might help him have some more juice next season.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They're expecting over a million people for the Raptors' victory parade.

(I'll be chained to the desk unfortunately).

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good on you for keeping that spark in the marriage alive.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Does this mean the end of those State Farm commercials that take up 60% of every NBA broadcast?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Okay, NOW can we say that Danny Ainge definitively blew it by not trading for Kawhi last summer?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yes.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

So Kawhi could leave with Irving and Horford?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe he'd be leaving with something?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm So Kawhi could leave with Irving and Horford?
You don’t think the Celtics could’ve won the East and beaten a decimated Warriors team in the Finals had they traded Jaylen Brown, Rozier and some picks for Kawhi?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Joe K wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm
EdRomero wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm So Kawhi could leave with Irving and Horford?
You don’t think the Celtics could’ve won the East and beaten a decimated Warriors team in the Finals had they traded Jaylen Brown, Rozier and some picks for Kawhi?
Was that trade actually on the table? I heard Popovich likes Brown a lot, but I'm not sure it was an option (and what else they'd have to give up). To answer your question, yes they could have won, but just because it worked out for Toronto, doesn't mean it would have worked out for Boston. Toronto struck gold, won it all, so it will forever be a great move no matter what happens next. But if you win at blackjack getting a two by hitting with a 19, it doesn't mean it was a great move. Damn, that sounds way too much like something Bill Simmons would say, and I don't mean to say Toronto was lucky -- they made all the right moves and put themselves in position to win. But a lot of times it goes the wrong way.

I think Kyrie and Kawhi would have left Boston after one year even if they won it all. In hindsight, Ainge fucked it up, but each decision he made at the time was reasonable, and I think he's getting too much local criticism now. Last year at this time, everyone was saying nobody but Golden State was going to win (barring injuries -- lucky Toronto), so by that logic, it makes sense to build around Tatum and Brown waiting for the Warriors to get old. If Brown and Tatum are guys you can build around is another conversation.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yeah, I'm not going to pretend anymore. The Celtics get there had things play out differently for them, but the same for the Warriors.

They'd also be going into immediate rebuild mode ASAP, but they probably hang a banner before that happens.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ainge sure as fuck has been treating Tatum and Brown like they are future superstars. Celtics better hope they are..
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:55 pm Ainge sure as fuck has been treating Tatum and Brown like they are future superstars. Celtics better hope they are..
A year ago, those 2 with Horford, Smart, and Rozier beat the Bucks, Sixers, and came within a game of the finals
(a game when Rozier forgot how to shoot), so it wasn't crazy to think this core could continue to improve. And then a healthy Irving and a recovering Hayward somehow made it all worse (along with the other teams in the East getting better).
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't know how holding a market value on horford is a problem. Overpaying is a bigger problem despite needing him in the lineup. He may very well resign just that he will check to see if he gets more dough elsewhere. Also agree that results are not a good way to evaluate decision making so the fact that it worked out for Toronto doesnt make the decision bad. Problem is now they need guys plural and that's tougher in a short time frame. I'm all for patience to try and build a consistent winner and I think Hayward will give them more than most think.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Are teams really lining up to give Horford a four-year deal?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:48 pm Are teams really lining up to give Horford a four-year deal?
It might turn into a bad contract eventually, but he would be a great final piece for many teams. Does just about everything well and seems to be a great teammate who will compliment a star.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So the Lakers are working to figure out their roster. They need picks. Feels like a smart GM who is not in a position to win right now could really take advantage of this.....Good thing the Wizards don't have a GM right now.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/270 ... alary-slot
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm
That wasn't earlier this year. That was last season in the playoffs in Utah where after this, they won three straight against the Jazz and took the Warriors to game 7 in the WCF.

THEY HATE EACH OTHER SO MUCH.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I am shocked Chris Paul would get under the skin of another basketball savant.

Apparently, Horford has a very strong relationship with Kenny Atkinson, the head coach of Brooklyn. Strong rumors that he is going there.