NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by Joe K »

I’d bet there is very real organizational tension in Houston, including between Harden and Paul. It has to be maddening for them that they were unable to take advantage of KD’s injury, especially after seeing Toronto do it.

But Paul’s contract is probably untradeable, and with the Warriors’ injuries and the Lakers having to rely on the genius of Rob Pelinka to fill out their roster, the Rockets have to run it back for one more season, right?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 am I’d bet there is very real organizational tension in Houston, including between Harden and Paul. It has to be maddening for them that they were unable to take advantage of KD’s injury, especially after seeing Toronto do it.

But Paul’s contract is probably untradeable, and with the Warriors’ injuries and the Lakers having to rely on the genius of Rob Pelinka to fill out their roster, the Rockets have to run it back for one more season, right?
Well, with ownership screwing with their coach on both his staff and his contract status, their top two players having having disagreements about how to play, and reports of everyone on the roster being available, save for one of those top players, I can see how there would be problems.

They absolutely have to give it one more go. I don't know what combination of bad contracts in return and first round picks given up that would enable the Rockets to get out from under Paul's contract,
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am I am shocked Chris Paul would get under the skin of another basketball savant.

Apparently, Horford has a very strong relationship with Kenny Atkinson, the head coach of Brooklyn. Strong rumors that he is going there.
If Horford goes to the Nets, I’ll enjoy the spin attempts from the many Danny Ainge aficionados in the basketball media who have been trying to pass off all of the Celtics’ issues on Kyrie. Horford is a universally respected veteran and it’s hard to believe he’d follow Kyrie to Brooklyn if he really thought it was all his fault in Boston.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Unless it’s Lakers-Pelicans style “draft compensation,” this is a great move by Utah. As I said regarding the Rockets, it’s time for the good West teams to go all-in.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

(It's really weird that I'm more invested in the NBA off-season than the actual one.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

As a Memphis fan, I approve of this trade. Glad to see Conley get another chance at a deep playoff run, and gets them some assets back as they build around JJJ and Ja.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am hoping for some Presti magic tomorrow night

also buying a Michael Porter Jr. jersey Friday because YOLO when your alma mater has a five-star player who will always be a what could have been
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:22 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 am I am shocked Chris Paul would get under the skin of another basketball savant.

Apparently, Horford has a very strong relationship with Kenny Atkinson, the head coach of Brooklyn. Strong rumors that he is going there.
If Horford goes to the Nets, I’ll enjoy the spin attempts from the many Danny Ainge aficionados in the basketball media who have been trying to pass off all of the Celtics’ issues on Kyrie. Horford is a universally respected veteran and it’s hard to believe he’d follow Kyrie to Brooklyn if he really thought it was all his fault in Boston.
I believe I heard it on Howard Beck's podcast the other day with Chris Mannix as the guest. There was also some discussion about bringing Kyrie into a franchise that has been very focused on culture, similarly to how Brad Stevens operates in Boston. Part of the issue was described as Stevens treating every day as an opportunity to get better for the postseason with Atkinson's history as a very strong player development coach running parallel to this vs. Irving's indoctrination to NBA success coming with Cavs teams with LeBron where they mailed in the regular season and flipped the switch in the postseason.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm As a Memphis fan, I approve of this trade. Glad to see Conley get another chance at a deep playoff run, and gets them some assets back as they build around JJJ and Ja.
How does this look from the Jazz side? People around here seem excited about it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:54 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm As a Memphis fan, I approve of this trade. Glad to see Conley get another chance at a deep playoff run, and gets them some assets back as they build around JJJ and Ja.
How does this look from the Jazz side? People around here seem excited about it.
Should be a home run - Mitchell needed some help with the backcourt, right? Too much of him on the ball and trying to create on his own last year, right? It caught up with them in the playoffs I think.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think it’s probably a win for both. Conley gets a shot to contend in a newly open west and Memphis can rebuild a bit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No draft deals yet? Maybe they wait til they're on the clock to announce but all execs have to be burning up the phone about now.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:12 pm No draft deals yet? Maybe they wait til they're on the clock to announce but all execs have to be burning up the phone about now.

The Pelicans will now wind up getting as many as 7 top-35 picks for Davis, plus three established rotation players (Ingram, Hart, Ball) depending on how the future pick swap rights plays out.

ETA:

David Griffin is up there with Masai for best NBA executives.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Sideshow Bob chain!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jaxson Hayes with the Sideshow Bob necklace that matches his suit. Pretty slick.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That's why you trade tons of picks, because they might be bad.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dude's English was really good for not knowing any until college.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

"Wherefore" means "why" not "where."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Bill Simmons is about to jump off a bridge because of Ainge's moves tonight, so we have that going for us.
Last edited by EdRomero on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pelicans will be bringing an NBA title to Las Vegas in 2022!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not that I follow NCAA basketball all that closely, but funny how guys getting drafted in the 40s in the NBA draft are lauded as having value "this late in the draft."
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 pm Not that I follow NCAA basketball all that closely, but funny how guys getting drafted in the 40s in the NBA draft are lauded as having value "this late in the draft."
Second round picks who amount to anything in the NBA are few and far between. I looked back at the draft from five years ago and the second round yielded one legit star (Jokic), four rotation players, and 25 guys who are already out of the league. And I doubt anyone watching in the US or giving commentary for ESPN back in 2014 had any clue about Jokic at that time.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I know, it's compared to every other major NA sport there are multiple picks that become stars. NBA if you're picked later than 15 and become an all-star you're the equivalent of Tom Brady.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:01 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 pm Not that I follow NCAA basketball all that closely, but funny how guys getting drafted in the 40s in the NBA draft are lauded as having value "this late in the draft."
Second round picks who amount to anything in the NBA are few and far between. I looked back at the draft from five years ago and the second round yielded one legit star (Jokic), four rotation players, and 25 guys who are already out of the league. And I doubt anyone watching in the US or giving commentary for ESPN back in 2014 had any clue about Jokic at that time.
Brogdan was second round, right?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, Memphis lucking into Brandon Clarke to grow with Ja and JJJ has me giddy as the rebuild begins.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Carsen Edwards was a great pick! This is based on my extensive draft research, which is remembering (after being reminded by someone else) about a really strong tournament game. He almost beat the National Champs by himself....so maybe he'll be a Dana Barros type player.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Rockets have had about 12 different uniform sets that look almost alike and then 1 batshit high school notebook manifesto cartoon
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Also, Johnnie...

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 am The Rockets have had about 12 different uniform sets that look almost alike and then 1 batshit high school notebook manifesto cartoon
The dildo with teeth!

Not gonna lie, the Paul one brings a tear to my eye.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 am Also, Memphis lucking into Brandon Clarke to grow with Ja and JJJ has me giddy as the rebuild begins.
Of the teams that took multiple players, I think New Orleans, Cleveland and Memphis’ drafts have the most upside. Obviously picking in the top-5 helps a ton, but I also think those teams used their other picks well.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 am Carsen Edwards was a great pick! This is based on my extensive draft research, which is remembering (after being reminded by someone else) about a really strong tournament game. He almost beat the National Champs by himself....so maybe he'll be a Dana Barros type player.
Totally agree on Edwards. That game alone was worth a flyer.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 am Also, Johnnie...

My man! Just wait until he learns about Tabletop Simulator!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And thank you for bringing up Dana Barros. Local boy could fill it up from deep. They could use some offensive heat off the bench at the 2. Kinda like IT. Can he still play?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And a passable rapper.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am
The actual new unis:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

TIL the Suns' first round pick this year, Cam Johnson, is older than the Suns' best player, Devin Booker, who has been in the league four seasons already.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.