NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by EdRomero »

This and the "we weren't comfortable offering KD the max" is a bad look.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m in LA for the holiday weekend and walked by this mural on Venice Beach.

I also saw Jared Dudley at a 4th of July parade.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm I’m in LA for the holiday weekend and walked by this mural on Venice Beach.

I also saw Jared Dudley at a 4th of July parade.
Well fuck the goddamned lakers - fans can't even spell one syllable words.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Lakers fans are the worst. But credit where it’s due, it was a very impressive mural.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:45 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm I think you'd have to take Ingram out of that equation before you make it because he was acquired for AD
No, I am saying, as it stands, AD on the Lakers is worse off than if he had stayed put - and if he had stayed put you replace Ingram with AD and the Pels are definitely better off.

My thesis is, leaving for the Lakers if Kawhi doesn't show up was worse for AD than staying put would have been.
ah -- gotcha.

I think that's fair. I think there's a much higher floor with the Pelicans with a lower ceiling. AD + LeBron can win you a title. Or give you a 1% chance at least of winning a title. The Pelicans don't have a chance of winning the title. But fewer things can go wrong for them this year.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:05 pm Lakers fans are the worst.
This may be the truest statement ever uttered in the Swamp. There is no fanbase of a pro sports team more obnoxious (I left room there for Brian to rant about tOSU) when they are good. And I lived in New England for 40+ years.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For the Tim Robinson fans:

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Clippers it is. LOLakers
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Holy shit!

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Clippers landing Kawhi and Paul George is a stunning coup. Might need to cancel my flight back to St. Louis so that I can purify myself by bathing in the tears of Lakers fans.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

holy fuck

also, Presti is a wizard. five firsts plus two pick swaps and SGA

I've gotta be up in an hour to play golf. not sure I'm falling back asleep
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This was a good Twitter morning. Now I want Westbrook to go to Cleveland and make the Finals
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Been up 15 minutes and this day already sucks.

ETA: Not really surprised that it's not Toronto. And after a couple of deep breaths, realized that trading DeRozan and a scrub Centre and a low first rounder for a Title was a trade that was well worth making.

Just sad to think of all those raptor fans who will be walking around with the face of the Clippers' best player on their bodies for the rest of their lives.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:18 am ETA: Not really surprised that it's not Toronto. And after a couple of deep breaths, realized that trading DeRozan and a scrub Centre and a low first rounder for a Title was a trade that was well worth making.
This is a good perspective on it. I’m glad it was the Clippers and not the Lakers for multiple reasons. One is that the Lakers front office (plus Magic Johnson, who I guess still works for them even after quitting?) leaked a ton about their discussions with Kawhi, claiming that they were the clear frontrunner, while the Clippers stayed dead silent. In fact, the Lakers are still trying to spin that narrative:

Given that it’s Shelburne reporting this, there a strong chance it’s coming directly from Jeanie Buss.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

They got their title so all is swell but that decision making doesn't seem so solid anymore. Danny Green hurts too. A very very short window up north.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 am They got their title so all is swell but that decision making doesn't seem so solid anymore. Danny Green hurts too. A very very short window up north.
Considering how little the Raptors gave up in that trade (DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poertl and a pick that became Keldon Johnson) the decision making still seems very solid. No one thought DeRozan was capable of leading them to title contention. He was even benched during the 2018 sweep against Cleveland.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just woke up. Holy shit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:18 am holy fuck

He had Toronto and the Clippers bidding against each other -- what a dream scenario for a gm. Woj:
Had Presti been able to strike a deal for George with the Raptors -- and Leonard was willing to stay -- George was believed to be willing to join the Raptors too, sources said. Presti pursued a package of Russell Westbrook with George to the Raptors -- with the NBA's Most Improved Player, forward Pascal Siakam as the centerpiece of a deal -- and Ujiri balked, league sources said.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Would like to know about that. Would have been a nice squad.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:23 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:18 am holy fuck

He had Toronto and the Clippers bidding against each other -- what a dream scenario for a gm. Woj:
Had Presti been able to strike a deal for George with the Raptors -- and Leonard was willing to stay -- George was believed to be willing to join the Raptors too, sources said. Presti pursued a package of Russell Westbrook with George to the Raptors -- with the NBA's Most Improved Player, forward Pascal Siakam as the centerpiece of a deal -- and Ujiri balked, league sources said.
I find that scenario very hard to fathom.

I mean, why wouldn't Ujiri have made the deal? Unless he's got a 3 year plan in place - and Siakam will clearly be the cornerstone of this franchise moving forward.

It's a shame, but if you were to find a Raptors fan who wouldn't have accepted where the team is now compared to where it was 12 months ago... than he or she is an idiot. The team is comparably placed to where it was before the Leonard-DeRozan trade... and they just had the greatest season and post-season imaginable.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Based on the Woj article that Romero linked, it’s evident that the Raptors did not have a commitment from Kawhi to re-sign even if they pulled off a trade for George. Conversely, it seems he told the Clippers that he would go there for sure if they could land a second star.

Shelburne is now saying that Kawhi’s first idea was teaming up with Durant on the Clippers and turned his focus to George after Durant committed to Brooklyn. This makes me question whether the Raptors were ever really in play or if he was always headed to an LA team and it was just a matter of which one.

Also, I don’t think Westbrook is going to be happy about Presti trying to trade him for Pascal Siakam. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the next big piece to move. Westbrook spending his 30s bricking jumpers in a Knicks jersey seems almost too perfect.
Last edited by Joe K on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:16 am They got their title so all is swell but that decision making doesn't seem so solid anymore. Danny Green hurts too. A very very short window up north.
Considering how little the Raptors gave up in that trade (DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poertl and a pick that became Keldon Johnson) the decision making still seems very solid. No one thought DeRozan was capable of leading them to title contention. He was even benched during the 2018 sweep against Cleveland.
And this is the gospel truth.

Everyone loved DeRozan up here... but no one was under any illusions anymore as to his abilities.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Joe K wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:30 am Based on the Woj article that Romero linked, it’s evident that the Raptors did not have a commitment from Kawhi to re-sign even if they pulled off a trade for George. Conversely, it seems he told the Clippers that he would go there for sure if they could land a second star.

Shelburne is now saying that Kawhi’s first idea was teaming up with Durant on the Clippers and turned his focus to George after Durant committed to Brooklyn. This makes me question whether the Raptors were ever really in play or if he was always headed to an LA team and it was just a matter of which one.

Also, I don’t think Westbrook is going to be happy about Presti trying to trade him for Pascal Siakam. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the next big piece to move. Westbrook spending his 30s bricking jumpers in a Knicks jersey seems almost too perfect.
It seems that Presti used Toronto to scare the Clips into offering more. I like the idea of Butler and Westbrook playing together in Miami.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 am
Not that I doubt Twitter, but I had to check and see if this is real.

It is simultaneously real and unbelievable.

ETA - it was a 2018 proclamation...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

With the East likely coming down to the Bucks and Sixers next year I’m pretty happy with Elton Brand overpaying to land Al Horford. He’s one of the better Giannis defenders in the league.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's almost like everything is a smokescreen and nobody knows anything.

Edit:

This is hilarious.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am It's almost like everything is a smokescreen and nobody knows anything.
A whole bunch of NBA “insiders” absolutely embarrassed themselves with their coverage of Kawhi’s free agency. Woj and Shams have the best relationship with agents. Chris Haynes has the best relationships with star players. Ramona Shelburne has close ties to the LA teams and Zach Lowe is always reliable. Almost every other national NBA “expert” besides those five is completely guessing and passing it off as inside intel.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am It's almost like everything is a smokescreen and nobody knows anything.
A whole bunch of NBA “insiders” absolutely embarrassed themselves with their coverage of Kawhi’s free agency. Woj and Shams have the best relationship with agents. Chris Haynes has the best relationships with star players. Ramona Shelburne has close ties to the LA teams and Zach Lowe is always reliable. Almost every other national NBA “expert” besides those five is completely guessing and passing it off as inside intel.
Yup. I feel like I can just become an Insider if Chris Broussard can. He's an outright joke who has showed his ass multiple times this off season. I mean, if Jason Fucking Whitlock can make you look like a fool, just fucking quit.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 am
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Boogie to the Lakers. Now sign Rondo, plz. LOL.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:00 pm Boogie to the Lakers. Now sign Rondo, plz. LOL.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nice. Speak it into existence.

New Angeles Pelakercans.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 pm The Lakers with Lebron, AD and Kuzma but pretty much NOTHING ELSE because all the mid level free agents are gone now would make me giggle.
Demarcus Cousins is gonna walk through that door!
Sometimes it’s too easy.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Assuming that Paul George's shoulder injuries heal, I think the Clippers will be a lot better than the Lakers next years. Also, "sources tell me"* that the Lakers ownership is cheap and is making Frank Vogel fly Southwest to go to Summer League.

*My source is the LAX intercom that just paged "Francis Vogel" for a flight to Vegas.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:18 amI've gotta be up in an hour to play golf. not sure I'm falling back asleep
Due to a 4 year old bed-mate having an accident at the in-laws house, I figured I’d be the only one seeing this trade in real time. Do you have some kind of serious wake-me-up phone alerts?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just realized he’s going to be Kember Wauhkah. Fuck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:29 am
Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 am
Not that I doubt Twitter, but I had to check and see if this is real.

It is simultaneously real and unbelievable.

ETA - it was a 2018 proclamation...
Just caught this now. Great perspective from the mayor.