NBA Offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:31 am
Lmao Andre Iguodala and an 8th grader just got traded to Memphis in a salary dump.
Yes. Those future picks seem funny now, until all of a sudden they aren't (like the future fucking first the Grizzlies sent for Jeff Green that is due this year or next now...).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 am Not to make everyone sick to their stomachs, but there is chatter from various that the Lakers are emerging as the favorite for Kawhi.
1) It would make the most sense, honestly.

2) The NBA needs to contract at least 6 teams. Super teams are fun, but that means feast or famine overall for the league.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:39 am Not to make everyone sick to their stomachs, but there is chatter from various that the Lakers are emerging as the favorite for Kawhi.
Yeah - it's the hope that kills you.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If the NBA really wanted to stop super teams (and the PA wanted to better spread salaries), couldn't they just make a rule about how your 2nd highest paid can't make more than X% of your highest, and 3rd has to be X-Y% lower, etc ... until you've set it up so the ~40-150 players are making more than current at the expense of the top?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:51 am
Yeah - it's the hope that kills you.
The Lakers front office has been leaking like a sieve, and is certainly pushing this view (perhaps to deter cheap veteran FAs from signing elsewhere). But I haven’t seen anything credible that can be tied back to Kawhi’s camp, the Raptors or the Clippers. It sounds like the earliest a decision will come down is on Wednesday.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anyone know if Enes Kanter can play?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:40 pm Anyone know if Enes Kanter can play?
As long as he's not in Turkey.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When it was said the Knicks were out on the big guys, I picked three players for them to target. They've signed two. That seems really bad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

???

https://youtu.be/bJumMtAEQR

He can hit the boards. Stood there a couple times (not easy). Offense is broke. If he's giving you double figures you're not winning. A ok by me. Need more guys though. Time Lord thing is real I guess. Theis? Ewww.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

How's summer league in Vegas? Brother asked about it and he's not far off. Cheap(ish) hopefully?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm How's summer league in Vegas? Brother asked about it and he's not far off. Cheap(ish) hopefully?
Getting more expensive every year but still reasonable as far as tickets. Hotels usually pretty cheap after the July 4th weekend though. Not even sure what they’re getting for tix now but used to be about $20-$40 a game.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hilarious.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm How's summer league in Vegas? Brother asked about it and he's not far off. Cheap(ish) hopefully?
Getting more expensive every year but still reasonable as far as tickets. Hotels usually pretty cheap after the July 4th weekend though. Not even sure what they’re getting for tix now but used to be about $20-$40 a game.
I think we're going to try that next year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think it's awesome the day you have reports of agents saying they'd never let their clients sign in Houston because they're so mean to include them in trade offers, one of our players re-signed for way less than he could've gotten elsewhere and cites how much he loves playing there.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 am Zach Lowe's latest:

Why the collapse of the Warriors feels so abrupt
It’s fascinating how all the reporting on Durant’s departure shows that it was almost entirely driven by interpersonal dynamics. He clearly was bothered by the fact that Warriors fans never liked him as much as Curry and that fans of other teams diminished his titles because he went to a stacked team. The Warriors could have been a prolonged dynasty to rival the 1990s Bulls had Durant not been so miserable there. But even had they stayed healthy this year and completed the 3-peat it seems like he would have definitely left.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I literally just remembered there's a team with Russell Westbrook and Paul George.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 am I think it's awesome the day you have reports of agents saying they'd never let their clients sign in Houston because they're so mean to include them in trade offers, one of our players re-signed for way less than he could've gotten elsewhere and cites how much he loves playing there.
this may be the biggest compliment Austin Rivers has ever received as an NBA player
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 am I literally just remembered there's a team with Russell Westbrook and Paul George.
and Mike Muscala and Alec Burks!

(I fear the Thunder could be one of the "playoff teams" that misses the playoffs)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I keep reading how Kawhi is mysterious, quiet, enigmatic, etc...I think it's easier just to say he's a dick. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would agree with me. Now he has three teams putting their offseasons on hold as they wait for his decision.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I was reading through a thread on the NBA subReddit in how it was refreshing that Kawhi was Doing FA as the NBA actually intended. When the vast majority of signings go down within an hour or two of FA opening there has to be some "tampering" going on. You don't negotiate a gazillion dollar contract in a couple of hours. Kawhi stretching it out is a little much, but isn't he the last marquee FA left? It's not like a team is waiting to hear from him before they can offer another comparable FA a contract. It's the mid levels and the various trades of expiring contracts and the like that are going on from here on out, no?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am I keep reading how Kawhi is mysterious, quiet, enigmatic, etc...I think it's easier just to say he's a dick. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would agree with me. Now he has three teams putting their offseasons on hold as they wait for his decision.
He may or may not be a dick, but I fail to see how taking a couple of days after FA starts to make a potentially life-altering decision constitutes being a dick. If any of the teams pursuing it, don't like it they can pull their offers and go another route, no?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:09 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:01 am I keep reading how Kawhi is mysterious, quiet, enigmatic, etc...I think it's easier just to say he's a dick. I'm pretty sure the Spurs would agree with me. Now he has three teams putting their offseasons on hold as they wait for his decision.
He may or may not be a dick, but I fail to see how taking a couple of days after FA starts to make a potentially life-altering decision constitutes being a dick. If any of the teams pursuing it, don't like it they can pull their offers and go another route, no?
Yes, and I agree it's within his rights and reasonable. Two things counter that for me -- 1. his history and what he did to the Spurs. 2. On paper, free agency started on Sunday night, but that's all bullshit with the league looking the other way on tampering. Players and agents have been working on/negotiating their offseason decisions since last summer, so the whole "couple of days after FA starts" doesn't really ring true to me. Maybe Toronto winning, the Durant injury, or another player changing his mind threw a monkey wrench into Kawhi's plans and now he has a tough decision.

What prompted me write this in the first place was this tweet about how Kawhi was a difficult recruit to read:
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hmmmmmm?

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

He forgot to turn the stove off. I've done that.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Lakers with Lebron, AD and Kuzma but pretty much NOTHING ELSE because all the mid level free agents are gone now would make me giggle.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am workshopping this hot take on Twitter but...w/out Kawhi on the Lakers (if indeed Kawhi ends up back in Toronto or on the Clippers), hasn't AD been traded to a situation worse than the one he left? To wit, are not the Pelicans better on paper right now than AD, Lebron, Kuzma and dreck?

Jrue
Reddick
Igram
Zion

as a core four w/ a decent bench whereas the Lakers will have the rough equivalent of me and ryan and Pruitt on their bench?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think you'd have to take Ingram out of that equation before you make it because he was acquired for AD
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 pm The Lakers with Lebron, AD and Kuzma but pretty much NOTHING ELSE because all the mid level free agents are gone now would make me giggle.
Demarcus Cousins is gonna walk through that door!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm I think you'd have to take Ingram out of that equation before you make it because he was acquired for AD
No, I am saying, as it stands, AD on the Lakers is worse off than if he had stayed put - and if he had stayed put you replace Ingram with AD and the Pels are definitely better off.

My thesis is, leaving for the Lakers if Kawhi doesn't show up was worse for AD than staying put would have been.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Unless his most important metric is media attention/potential endorsements because he's gonna get 100x what he would have gotten in New Orleans, even if New Orleans wins more games.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:48 pm Unless his most important metric is media attention/potential endorsements because he's gonna get 100x what he would have gotten in New Orleans, even if New Orleans wins more games.
That is true. I guess I am simply looking at it from a basketball standpoint. Winning games. Etc.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:56 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:48 pm Unless his most important metric is media attention/potential endorsements because he's gonna get 100x what he would have gotten in New Orleans, even if New Orleans wins more games.
That is true. I guess I am simply looking at it from a basketball standpoint. Winning games. Etc.
There's also the fact that the Lakers are likely going to be attractive to future free agents as well beyond this year meaning the window in LA might extend out a little more than it looks like right now, but I agree with you for the most part. I'd rather have NO's core than LA's.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And Lebron is, yaknow, aging, and what not. 35 and IF it is mostly just AD helping, he's gonna have to shoulder way more than he may have wanted to, just to steer them to the playoffs. He's a candidate to get hurt, and AD has had his own injury issues. They REALLY need Kawhi to make the gamble in acquiring AD worth it, I think.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

In defense of the Knicks, it was almost impossible to fathom Kawhi choosing them once Durant picked the Nets. There have been some reports of Kawhi and KD having a mutual interest in playing together but Kawhi has no other apparent affinity for New York like he does for Southern California (especially San Diego).
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:04 am
The point I was getting at is that there really was no reason for the Knicks to hold cap space open for Kawhi when there was zero chance of him signing there once Durant chose the Nets. And while Kawhi’s team has kept things under wraps it appears that he didn’t start meeting with teams until a lot of the other medium to top tier free agents (including the ones the Knicks signed) had already committed. So I understand their thinking here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Doesn’t a smarter org not cancel and/and broadcast that knowing he’ll be a free agent again some day?