Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

How Much Do You Hate Trees?

Call Me Mr. Arbor! - 0
12%
I'm An Environmental Steward. 1-10
59%
Look, these TPS reports aren't gonna print themselves. 10-50
18%
I gotta cross reference these spreadsheets man and I don't have a second monitor. - 50-100
6%
TREES SUCK - 100+
6%

Total votes: 17

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Printing

Post by A_B »

Taking a survey: How many pages on average would say you print out in a given week?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Printing

Post by BSF21 »

Sales orders get printed. No good way I've found to manage my business without hard copies.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I print little to nothing. Now others at work are printing fools, but that comes with printing out the jobs for the shop floor.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I think I've printed maybe five pages in the last year.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I work remotely and my company's work is 99% digital, so usually only print something out if it's a reference doc or personal business.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Also related, I do business with a couple of competing distributors in WI. One's corporate made everyone change their email sigs to say "Save a tree, think before you print this email" and a link to their green policy. Guy down the road is not as corporate and changes his email sig line to a little tree emoji and "Save a lumberjack, print this email!"

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Being retired, I print very little.

But, to vent on the subject, every time I file a claim with my health insurance company, I receive a hard copy notification of how much they paid and how much they refuse to pay. That's all well and good, but there are always four extra pages included with boilerplate language about their various policies.

And, how about those flyers that come with the snail mail every week from all the various grocery stores. Ten pages of crap that go to every single house. (When I did my short stint as a mailman, I'd look at that Tuesday stack of flyers and groan).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 am Sales orders get printed. No good way I've found to manage my business without hard copies.
PDF?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:29 am
BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:18 am Sales orders get printed. No good way I've found to manage my business without hard copies.
PDF?
I mark them up constantly and maintain different folders for shipments in certain time frames. It's not to say it couldn't be done, I suppose I should have said it would require a complete reworking of a filing system and a more reliable computer at the very least. I do recycle/commercially shred all my paper, so I'm hoping that absolves me somewhat.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Do I have to count large exquisite maps as more than a page?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I misvoted - usually between 50-100. Busy weeks, double that.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

If I need to read something or work off a training outline I print...much easier for me to read and I like to take notes on training outlines when working with customers
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

About the only thing I ever print is concert tickets and the occasional coupon.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Working from home and buying my own ink drastically reduced my printing. I used to print out my interview notes when drafting investigation reports, but my cheapness led me to flipping between windows to look back at my notes. I used to print out to proofread, and now proofread of my screen.

Speaking of printers, about months ago, mine stopped working HP Officejet. As best I can tell, the printer is identifying the in cartridges as not "authentic HP products." They are. I've tried every suggested fix on the HP website and user forums, nothing works. The last option is buying new cartridges. a set of color and black ink runs about the same as a new printer, so I really don't want to spend the money on ink with a chance it still won't work, so probably makes more sense just to buy a new printer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:47 pm I misvoted - usually between 50-100. Busy weeks, double that.
The real purpose of our industry is to murder trees.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:09 pm About the only thing I ever print is concert tickets and the occasional coupon.
School forms and return labels.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:47 pm I misvoted - usually between 50-100. Busy weeks, double that.
"The Paperless Office." Remember that theory?

I am currently developing a series where the initial proposal was 216 pages long. God help me, I didn't want to print it up.

I'd imagine that Vince Gilligan's series arc for "Breaking Bad" was no more than 50 pages or so.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:46 pm

I am currently developing a series where the initial proposal was 216 pages long. God help me, I didn't want to print it up.

I'd imagine that Vince Gilligan's series arc for "Breaking Bad" was no more than 50 pages or so.
So the paperless office thing was where I was headed. I’m in the 1-10 a week. I’d say a year ago I was in the 50+ for sure and maybe 100. Now I do almost all of my note taking through Evernote and annotate PDFs heads up. Works through phone or computer. So I have gone mostly paperless and didn’t really change my work flow. I still have a Notebook that I use it a computer would be an issue but that’s about it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:46 pm

So the paperless office thing was where I was headed. I’m in the 1-10 a week. I’d say a year ago I was in the 50+ for sure and maybe 100. Now I do almost all of my note taking through Evernote and annotate PDFs heads up. Works through phone or computer. So I have gone mostly paperless and didn’t really change my work flow. I still have a Notebook that I use it a computer would be an issue but that’s about it.
With scripts and editing it's a different world.

Or maybe it's just me. If I don;t make notes on the actual print outs of the documents, I make a ton of errors.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm sadly in the many, many pages per week club. I haven't found any way to replicate editing on actual paper.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 pm I'm sadly in the many, many pages per week club. I haven't found any way to replicate editing on actual paper.
Track changes feature? That's what one of the lawyers that works here does.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:33 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 pm I'm sadly in the many, many pages per week club. I haven't found any way to replicate editing on actual paper.
Track changes feature? That's what one of the lawyers that works here does.
I use that when co-drafting something with opposing counsel, and I find it good for that, but there's something about printing and hand editing on documents that I draft on my own. I'm somewhat intrigued about Evernote as a solution.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.