Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by bfj »

Sorry for your loss. That sucks.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Our Ellie had a tail incident two weeks ago that we didn't know it was severe until we started wondering where all the blood in the entry way had come from. Fast forward to right now and she's in surgery right now getting it amputated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm sorry to hear that though I just verified that you post disturbingly few if any pictures of your dog and you should atone by that with many pitiful tailless puppy photos.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My dog's cancer is back. The treatment last year went great and beat it into submission, but now it's back, about 14 months after we found it the first time. So, we're starting treatment again. Hope she handles it as well as last time (excluding the week where everything she ate was projectile shat around the house).
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:47 pm My dog's cancer is back. The treatment last year went great and beat it into submission, but now it's back, about 14 months after we found it the first time. So, we're starting treatment again. Hope she handles it as well as last time (excluding the week where everything she ate was projectile shat around the house).
Sorry to hear that, Dave. Best wishes to your doggo.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Damn that's awful.

Hope that treatment goes well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, Dave. Ouch.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Thanks, guys. Fortunately, she's off to a pretty good start. The first dose of chemo doesn't seem to have affected her much.

I think we caught it this time a bit sooner (her neck was all swollen last time, which is how we found it), which is good. On the other hand, apparently remission times shrink the second time around.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was heading out to the gym this afternoon, but as I walked through the back yard to the car, I noticed that Izzy had chewed up a small plastic jug.

Upon closer inspection - a fucking anti-freeze bottle. Less than an ounce at the bottom. Not mine, and my son can;t remember if he used one (so no way of knowing how much had been in there). Grass around the destroyed bottle was dry.

Just back from the vets - induced vomiting, found pieces of white plastic, but no blue liquid. Not definitive...

But she's shown no symptoms and it's been maybe 4 hours since she came in from the yard. So I have to keep my eye on her. Any signs of poisoning, straight to the emergency clinic where for $3-5,000 they'll administer a drug and keep her until she's better. Otherwise... can;t even type it.

Vet also said that apparently vodka helps. Looked it up - and it does. Problem is, you have to give a dog Izzy's size an ounce and a half once every 4 hours or so - to a total of 4 shots or so. Great, cheap solution if I could get her to drink it. Problem: the main thing I'm looking for is signs of neurological issues. I give her liquor, she's going to be drunk.

What the fuck am I supposed to do then???

Already cancelled my morning meeting - I'm not sleeping tonight.

The stuff in the bottle she chewed up is a 50% concentration of ethylyene glycol.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm I was heading out to the gym this afternoon, but as I walked through the back yard to the car, I noticed that Izzy had chewed up a small plastic jug.

Upon closer inspection - a fucking anti-freeze bottle. Less than an ounce at the bottom. Not mine, and my son can;t remember if he used one (so no way of knowing how much had been in there). Grass around the destroyed bottle was dry.

Just back from the vets - induced vomiting, found pieces of white plastic, but no blue liquid. Not definitive...

But she's shown no symptoms and it's been maybe 4 hours since she came in from the yard. So I have to keep my eye on her. Any signs of poisoning, straight to the emergency clinic where for $3-5,000 they'll administer a drug and keep her until she's better. Otherwise... can;t even type it.

Vet also said that apparently vodka helps. Looked it up - and it does. Problem is, you have to give a dog Izzy's size an ounce and a half once every 4 hours or so - to a total of 4 shots or so. Great, cheap solution if I could get her to drink it. Problem: the main thing I'm looking for is signs of neurological issues. I give her liquor, she's going to be drunk.

What the fuck am I supposed to do then???

Already cancelled my morning meeting - I'm not sleeping tonight.

The stuff in the bottle she chewed up is a 50% concentration of ethylyene glycol.
Wow...sorry to see this...I know it really sucks.

If you are really interested in the vodka route, see if you can find a plastic syringe (like the ones some bars use for shots) at either a restaurant supply place or pet store (frankly the vet should have some too)...that is how we've gotten our dogs to take liquid meds.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh man. Hang in there and hoping for the best for your pupper, Pruitt.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:49 pm
If you are really interested in the vodka route, see if you can find a plastic syringe (like the ones some bars use for shots) at either a restaurant supply place or pet store (frankly the vet should have some too)...that is how we've gotten our dogs to take liquid meds.
Very good idea - I've got an unused syringe. Maybe before bed, I'll give her a shot.

I was just outside playing easy fetch with her. Moving fine, no signs of any issues.

Dumb dog.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:49 pm
Very good idea - I've got an unused syringe. Maybe before bed, I'll give her a shot.

I was just outside playing easy fetch with her. Moving fine, no signs of any issues.

Dumb dog.
Mine at his collar this weekend. Dumb Dogs.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ugh. This reminds me of when Harper at a fucking flip-flop and we had to piece it back together or else surgery. Only time we’ve been lucky he was a puker.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:14 pm Ugh. This reminds me of when Harper at a fucking flip-flop and we had to piece it back together or else surgery. Only time we’ve been lucky he was a puker.
My old dog did tons of stuff like that when she was a pup.

It's just the poison thing that has me worried. Wife took her for a short walk, she seems fine. Guaranteed, this is the first night Izzy sleeps in our bed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck Pruitt. Vodka also has benefit for distraught humans, too!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She had a walk, more fetch a good dinner and chasing the neighbour (other side of the fence) as he ran his lawn mower.

It seems good.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Good luck Pruitt and Shirley.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hope everything is still OK this AM pruitt.

And good luck with your pup shirley.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If I could train my wife half as well as I trained my dog he would never be on the bed. At this point I'm just worried he's going to hurt himself jumping off at some point. Not even that guilt trip worked on her.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 am If I could train my wife half as well as I trained my dog he would never be on the bed. At this point I'm just worried he's going to hurt himself jumping off at some point. Not even that guilt trip worked on her.
I am so confused. Why don't you want your wife in the bed? Why isn't she in the bed? I probably have additional questions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hope all is well with the pups, fellas.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Everything seems fine.

No signs of any poison-related symptoms. Taking her to the park for a romp.

It's great that I know a bunch of dog lovers like you guys!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, scary story, Pruitt. Glad it seems to be working out!
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks!

Just back from the dog park, she was on fire today, a solid hour of running and brawling. Wore her out - got home and the vet had called to check on her, message ended with a recommendation to keep her quiet today. Oops.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 am Everything seems fine.

No signs of any poison-related symptoms. Taking her to the park for a romp.

It's great that I know a bunch of dog lovers like you guys!
That is really great to hear.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Blood test tomorrow morning will tell if there's been any damage, but all signs are that she is fine.

Dogs man...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 am Maggie update, and it's ok you can keep reading!

Bad news - it's cancerous
Good news - it's a sarcoma which means it likely won't spread anywhere
Bad news - it's right under the base of her tongue so surgery would be very stupid unless we enjoy paying >$3K for a dog with half a jaw and a useless tongue.
Good news - it's extremely small and smooth so it's probably not even bothering her
Conjecture - in fact, it may have been there for years
Good news - Puttin' suckers in fear
Bad news - She finally has to switch foods for the first time in her almost 13 years of Pro-Plan inhaling life, because the dry food was irritating the biopsy spot so much that we were at the vet Xmas Eve showing them the pictures of the sheet that she was laying on that night because it was covered in first-3-minutes-of-CSI amounts of blood
Good news - That stopped already, and she eats poop all the time so this is actually not a big deal

Livestrong
Maggie update 2, and maybe read the whole thing for informational purposes at the very least!

She's been falling down every so often. Not unconscious like a seizure, but her legs would just give out. She'd try and walk it off for a few minutes and then once that phase was over, she'd lie down and start twitching. About 3-5 minutes start to finish.

Many useless vet appointments of wrong guesses finally led to a really low glucose test at the right time, and an ultrasound in the right place, and a diagnosis of an insulinoma - basically pancreatic cancer that causes hypoglycemia. Hoping that changing her eating habits and a very low dose of predniose (Latin for "which one of us can be home around lunchtime?") gets the symptoms under control and she can go back to being a regular 13 year old dog with giant spreading lumps. Yay?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ugh. Sorry, Ryan.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

aw man
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Poor Maggie.

These damn dogs...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's rough. Sorry.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Man. Sorry, Ryan.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

good bump

h/t Deadspin
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Who's a good boy?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thrilled to report that Izzy's blood work came back negative. No traces of the poison in her system.

Got the call just as we were heading out to the dog park, and as if in celebration, she was ape-shit crazy with her friends!

Very relieved. Thanks for the support.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Happy for you Pruitt.

Also happy for the good boy german shepherd at the baseball game.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 am What it means to be loved by a dog.
I knew that it would get dusty in here, but I read it anyway.

Izzy is looking at me, wondering why we haven't been to the park yet (it is raining steadily). I think I'll take her anyway...