Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Pruitt »

This morning at the golf course, Izzy took off after a big dog who had emerged from the woods maybe 300 yards away.

I realized that it wasn't a dog, it was a coyote that had started loping towards her as she ran full speed at it. I was wearing grippers with spikes and was running on the ice while yelling at her to stop. She did, after the coyote leapt towards her. They were maybe 20 feet apart as I got there while yelling at the coyote. Snapped the leash on her and yelled again and the coyote then sauntered off while Izzy was pretty much frothing at the mouth trying to get after it.

Could have been a disaster.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:18 pm This morning at the golf course, Izzy took off after a big dog who had emerged from the woods maybe 300 yards away.

I realized that it wasn't a dog, it was a coyote that had started loping towards her as she ran full speed at it. I was wearing grippers with spikes and was running on the ice while yelling at her to stop. She did, after the coyote leapt towards her. They were maybe 20 feet apart as I got there while yelling at the coyote. Snapped the leash on her and yelled again and the coyote then sauntered off while Izzy was pretty much frothing at the mouth trying to get after it.

Could have been a disaster.
Wow, that really could have been a disaster. I've heard stories of coyotes enticing a dog to come after them, then having the whole pack of coyotes attack the dog.

There are many coyotes where my parents live in New Mexico, and when we visit, I have to watch my dog closely.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They've been more obvious this winter - seen quite a few ex-rabbits and groundhogs on the course.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Old dogs man...

Mutt was just absolutely raining drool for hours earlier. My wife thought he pissed on the couch but it was just drool. That much drool. It didn’t go away, and he never puked, so despite the fact that he seemed more or less ok we decided to be cautious because he’s 16 and a half and took him to the vet.

Four+ hours and a shit load of money spent on x-rays later everything looks good internally excerpt the dr wasn’t sure if the amount of matter in his belly made sense given the last time he ate so he wants us to have him fast and bring him back for more X-ray$ tomorrow morning.

He’s been fine all evening since he got home, other than being obviously put out about not being fed.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:26 pm Old dogs man...

Mutt was just absolutely raining drool for hours earlier. My wife thought he pissed on the couch but it was just drool. That much drool. It didn’t go away, and he never puked, so despite the fact that he seemed more or less ok we decided to be cautious because he’s 16 and a half and took him to the vet.

Four+ hours and a shit load of money spent on x-rays later everything looks good internally excerpt the dr wasn’t sure if the amount of matter in his belly made sense given the last time he ate so he wants us to have him fast and bring him back for more X-ray$ tomorrow morning.

He’s been fine all evening since he got home, other than being obviously put out about not being fed.
Any evidence of disemboweled squeak toys? Chew toys? Has he been exhibiting any excessive licking of his paws or coat? Have you changed his food recently? Does he typically have a sensitive stomach?

Did they do bloodwork?

eta: We've taken our dog to the ER vet a couple times throughout his time with us. He's got a sensitive stomach, and if not for the Apoquel, he'd scratch himself to death. I'm guessing the x-rays tonight are baseline. The vet probably wants to see less inflammation tomorrow, or to see if the shadow (stuff in his belly) in the x-ray reduces.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They said all "vitals" were good. As far as we knew he hadn't gotten into anything (or gotten anything into him) and the scans confirmed that. He seems fine this morning.

He's on apoquel, too.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steer clear of the Defector.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Read that while sitting in the vet parking lot yesterday. Split-second decision where I decided not reading it seemed more likely to result in the materialization of the worst case scenario.

He's been and returned from his follow-up. All good. I guess 16 year old dogs take longer to digest than the doc thought.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Good to hear that he'll be around to drive you crazy for a while longer.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 amI guess 16 year old dogs take longer to digest than the doc thought.
Umm, I read this wrong the first time.

Glad to hear he's doing okay though.

Our dog is 10 or 11 now. This weekend my wife and I had our first conversation about whether we'd want a dog after his time, and if so whether we should get the second dog now or wait until after.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:40 am Read that while sitting in the vet parking lot yesterday. Split-second decision where I decided not reading it seemed more likely to result in the materialization of the worst case scenario.

He's been and returned from his follow-up. All good. I guess 16 year old dogs take longer to digest than the doc thought.
You better make right on that skipped meal!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Product rec if you have a dog that really likes to try to ruin walks by attempting to pull your shoulder out: 2 Hounds Harness

Only downside is the leash isn't the most comfortable but more than worth it for the tradeoff. I'd read about this but didn't jump until the local pet store said its the only one they sell and its been really great. A official Mister D "Really Good Product".

#sponcon
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

GABBY!!!

Not sure if I mentioned it elsewhere on the board, but "We are the Champions" on Netflix has an episode on dog dancing that is wonderful.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 am
I know it's an amped up playing with the dog thing, but about 4 seconds from the end it looks like she just shoves the living shit out of Gabby there. I know better than to think that's anything but playing with her and her being excited but you could clip that 2 seconds and really rile people up.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 am Product rec if you have a dog that really likes to try to ruin walks by attempting to pull your shoulder out: 2 Hounds Harness

Only downside is the leash isn't the most comfortable but more than worth it for the tradeoff. I'd read about this but didn't jump until the local pet store said its the only one they sell and its been really great. A official Mister D "Really Good Product".

#sponcon
Perhaps one of wife’s friends could have used this. The lady had her 80 pound Labrador secured on his leash while she stopped her walk and chatted with a friend. Unbeknownst to her, the dog had spied a squirrel nearby and lunged after it. The poor woman was jerked horizontal, landed on the street and fractured her wrist.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'll let you know in late summer when he hits that weight whether or not it holds up to sudden movements or is move corrective. Assuming the latter.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 am
I know it's an amped up playing with the dog thing, but about 4 seconds from the end it looks like she just shoves the living shit out of Gabby there. I know better than to think that's anything but playing with her and her being excited but you could clip that 2 seconds and really rile people up.
Read the Twitter comments. They got riled up.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Big day tomorrow, as this knucklehead gets his staples out. He ate the squeakers out of two toys, which wasn't great, especially when he also ate some clear synthetic thread like fishing line that got wrapped around both of them. One tried to move on and the other remained in his stomach like an anchor. Surgery last Monday night to remove one squeaker from his stomach and the other from his intestines.

Anyway, it was a really good sign when he could get into this position instead of holding his stomach off the ground when he would try to sleep.
Conehead.JPG
Conehead.JPG (80.09 KiB) Viewed 501 times
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fucking dumbasses. Glad he's doing good.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 am Fucking dumbasses. Glad he's doing good.
For a mammal whose favorite foods seem to be cigarette butts, his blankets (we're not sure if he's getting another one ever again), and wood chips... Just glad he seems to have gotten over his interest in eating pieces of asphalt.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Keep the faith, dsg, they do grow out of some of that stuff!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

West Paw does some really solid toys for an obsessive chewer/eater who lives in my house. We were warned off the ones for light chewers, but so far the highest durability ones have been holding up.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Izzy (and Georgie before her) love the elk antlers.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 am Big day tomorrow, as this knucklehead gets his staples out. He ate the squeakers out of two toys, which wasn't great, especially when he also ate some clear synthetic thread like fishing line that got wrapped around both of them. One tried to move on and the other remained in his stomach like an anchor. Surgery last Monday night to remove one squeaker from his stomach and the other from his intestines.

Anyway, it was a really good sign when he could get into this position instead of holding his stomach off the ground when he would try to sleep.

Conehead.JPG
Aww.

Good luck, knucklehead.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF's daughter has been visiting for a couple of weeks, and brought her dog Sky with her:

Super chill german shorthair pointer..
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:04 pm My GF's daughter has been visiting for a couple of weeks, and brought her dog Sky with her:

Nice looking dog. A guy down the street from me has a German short-haird pointer, and it too is really chill. Like Tibetan monk, 45 bpm chill. Just a very surreal experience hanging out with that dog.
Noli Timere Messorem
Megawatt
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Megawatt »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:04 pm My GF's daughter has been visiting for a couple of weeks, and brought her dog Sky with her:

Nice looking dog. A guy down the street from me has a German short-haird pointer, and it too is really chill. Like Tibetan monk, 45 bpm chill. Just a very surreal experience hanging out with that dog.
I’m looking forward to those chill days. Max is still quite a handful at 10 months, here is looking looking like he’s a relaxing boy-
7D1D19C5-4587-40D5-9B6B-446497C1231E.jpeg
7D1D19C5-4587-40D5-9B6B-446497C1231E.jpeg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Very touching.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That was fantastic
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I have a fantasy of one day hiking the Appalachian Trial with a companion dog. I seriously doubt it'll ever actually happen, but I love the idea of it.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Didn't realize, same guy and dog from this early COVID classic. He is a sports broadcaster and was bored with no events to call.

-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Need to post pics...
nearly 11 years ago, i found an ad on craigslist advertising free puppies.. knowing that often these don't end up well, i booked over there and got me a jersey shore mutt.. it had been nearly five years since i'd lost my beagle.. so it was time.
with all the changes in our family we thought it was a good time to add a puppy.
a rescue american bulldog/hound mix brought up from carolina. been with us since saturday. finally getting starting to learn his name and toilet training is getting better.. don't think him and Sasha will be the best of friends, she wants to hang out in my office or wherever i am and sleep, while he wants to nip and play and jump. she's barked at him, in fact more than barking than except when we first got her.. so far he's stolen her toys and one of her beds. hoping we made the right decision. mrs. el flaco is in love with the pup and he follows her everywhere and stays in her office all day with her.
any advice on dealing with old dog, new pup?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The rescue I volunteer at won’t give a young dog to people with an older dog. Too often, it doesn’t work, and the puppy was returned, so they rarely allow it. Pisses off a lot of people who want to get a new dog before their older pet gets sick. We had a neighbor get a crazy giant puppy (90 pounds when grown), and he drove their elderly dog crazy until the old guy had enough and nipped the pup hard enough to teach him to fuck off. After that, the puppy learned the old dog wasn’t going to play with him, and they got along after that. It’s an adjustment, and they will figure out how to deal with each other.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm Need to post pics...
nearly 11 years ago, i found an ad on craigslist advertising free puppies.. knowing that often these don't end up well, i booked over there and got me a jersey shore mutt.. it had been nearly five years since i'd lost my beagle.. so it was time.
with all the changes in our family we thought it was a good time to add a puppy.
a rescue american bulldog/hound mix brought up from carolina. been with us since saturday. finally getting starting to learn his name and toilet training is getting better.. don't think him and Sasha will be the best of friends, she wants to hang out in my office or wherever i am and sleep, while he wants to nip and play and jump. she's barked at him, in fact more than barking than except when we first got her.. so far he's stolen her toys and one of her beds. hoping we made the right decision. mrs. el flaco is in love with the pup and he follows her everywhere and stays in her office all day with her.
any advice on dealing with old dog, new pup?
We live in a society with rules. We need to see pics of any new dogs acquired by Swampers.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and the old lady

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Weird that you have an entire book dedicated to a little town in NJ just 40 minutes away from where you live...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And GD is that puppy perfectly adorable and does she ever look pissed off about it.