Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by BSF21 »

Bengal, seriously. I have/had no intention of turning this into an indictment of where you're getting a dog. Do you. Everyone's family is different, everyone's situation is different. No judgement here, you're an experienced pet owner and you know what's best for you guys. That puppy is already made and around. Takes all kinds of kinds.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:59 am Bengal, seriously. I have/had no intention of turning this into an indictment of where you're getting a dog. Do you. Everyone's family is different, everyone's situation is different. No judgement here, you're an experienced pet owner and you know what's best for you guys. That puppy is already made and around. Takes all kinds of kinds.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:59 am Bengal, seriously. I have/had no intention of turning this into an indictment of where you're getting a dog. Do you. Everyone's family is different, everyone's situation is different. No judgement here, you're an experienced pet owner and you know what's best for you guys. That puppy is already made and around. Takes all kinds of kinds.
I see a bunch of posts were deleted but I second this. While I totally get the push for people to get rescues, there are plenty of good reasons why it might make sense to get a dog from a breeder. My dog is a purebred corgi who we got as a puppy from a breeder last winter. My fiancée had never owned a dog before and was nervous about it, and we have an at-times skittish cat (who was basically feral when we found him), so getting a well-socialized pup from a breeder made sense for us.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ugh. Bengal come back!

Here's a picture I took of my dog for our Christmas cards:

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

No worries bsf. I felt bad about it already, but also excited. But still, also understand the issue. Won't post anymore about it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 pm No worries bsf. I felt bad about it already, but also excited. But still, also understand the issue. Won't post anymore about it.
I hope you do. Any pupper pictures are better than zero pupper pictures :)

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just drove halfway across the country with my dad and their pup Allie Jo. Seriously the best behaved dog I've ever been around. A guy at In-N-Out pointed it out when she wasn't begging for part of my double-double.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 pm No worries bsf. I felt bad about it already, but also excited. But still, also understand the issue. Won't post anymore about it.
I hope you do. Any pupper pictures are better than zero pupper pictures :)
Absolutely.

And here's Izzy the wonder dog with a friend.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 pm
I see a bunch of posts were deleted but I second this. While I totally get the push for people to get rescues, there are plenty of good reasons why it might make sense to get a dog from a breeder. My dog is a purebred corgi who we got as a puppy from a breeder last winter. My fiancée had never owned a dog before and was nervous about it, and we have an at-times skittish cat (who was basically feral when we found him), so getting a well-socialized pup from a breeder made sense for us.
I've been volunteering at a dog rescue for 4 years, and I've learned a tremendous amount. There is a big difference between a rescue and a shelter, and if you decide to adopt, make sure you know how the rescue selects the dogs they put up for adoption, and how the dogs are prepared for adoption. My rescue primarily brings in dogs from South Carolina and Georgia, but has the occasional dog a local person has to surrender and we bring in dogs during natural disasters. We have paid employees who live in SC and GA who go to high kill shelters and select the dogs with the best dispositions, then they are fostered for 3 weeks in homes before they are selected for transport to NJ. We also have a facility in SC where the dogs get medical treatment and surgeries, including spaying and neutering. When they are fostered, they are kept with other dogs and usually children, and if there are any signs of issues, they aren't brought to NJ. Once they get to NJ, we get them bathed and groomed, and a vet volunteers and gives all the dogs exams, microchips, etc..., and they are all housed in foster homes until they are adopted. I've handled over 1000 dogs, and there was only one I wouldn't have left my daughter alone with, and that was a 9 month old Great Dane, and only because he was super playful, and hadn't quite grown into his legs yet. The goofy fucker was plowing into everything and everyone. Totally gentle and friendly, just clumsy and had adult Great Dane size, but still had his puppy exuberance.

Anyways, shelters take in whatever dogs are given to them, and a lot of them were abused or not properly socialized. I would be extremely hesitant to adopt a dog from a shelter or pound unless I knew a lot about the shelter, and they knew the background story of the dog. I know a lot of people who have adopted from other shelters and rescues, and some of the dogs are perfect, but I've seen enough dogs with sketchy personalities to be weary. Don't get me wrong, you can get amazing dogs from shelters and pounds, and I don't want to discourage anyone, but you have to do some research on the shelter and go in with caution.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:47 am...
It's down the hall, second door on your right.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've watched two episodes of "Dogs" on Netflix and honestly don;t think I can watch another one. I am emotionally drained.
[+] spoiler
The dogs are fine - but the stories are heartbreaking.... and uplifting as well.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Weird to see a bunch of redacted posts in THIS thread, of all threads!

My family has bought three yellow labs from good breeders (first two from the same breeder) and I don't feel an ounce of regret for that. I totally get and support getting rescue dogs, but I think supporting the good and responsible breeders is every bit as important. Maybe even more so. Keep the good ones in business and competitive against the puppy mills and backyard breeders.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm Weird to see a bunch of redacted posts in THIS thread, of all threads!

My family has bought three yellow labs from good breeders (first two from the same breeder) and I don't feel an ounce of regret for that. I totally get and support getting rescue dogs, but I think supporting the good and responsible breeders is every bit as important. Maybe even more so. Keep the good ones in business and competitive against the puppy mills and backyard breeders.
There are lots of great reasons for choosing a breeder. My neighbor just bought a yellow lab puppy from a breeder, and I love the hell out of that dog. Even if he does insist on untying my shoe every time I pet him. Add Amish to your list of puppy mills and backyard breeders. Same neighbor originally bought a White German Shepherd from an Amish breeder, and they had to bring it back. Puppy was beautiful, but not quite right in the head, and attacked the mother and 4 year old boy. But man, was that puppy beautiful. They later found forum posts of people who had to put down dogs they adopted from the same Amish breeders because they became violent.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ok, to re-set, Jen and Q and I are going to pick out a yellow lab pup from what I believe to be a very reputable breeder. We had done research, they have a long and positive track record, and are certified annually by several organizations. Prior to this, in our 26 years (good lord) of marriage, Jen and I have only had rescues or pound pups (2 great pyr, a springer spaniel mix, and two lab mixes). This will be our first breeder experience. We are opting for this route now because one of our Great Pyr (Rizzo) is still with us at 10 1/2 and has always been...extra needy/difficult as a rescue. She's mellowed in her old age, and is slowed down appreciably now by hip issues. We don't have a lot of time left with her, and are hoping that she takes to the puppy and gets some joy from the pup while showing her the ropes. We think her more likely to accept a young dog into the house than an adult rescue or pound pup. But we will be super careful in monitoring the introduction and will not allow them to be alone for a good while, until we are sure Rizzo is cool with the addition.

Also, Jen really wants, just this once, a lab puppy, and I didn't want to argue against it. They are great family dogs. We are a year from being empty nesters, and this potential puppy is our mid-marriage crisis, I think, the marital equivalent of a convertible sports car. We get to go Saturday and pick out our pup (we are getting first choice from three females) and are pretty excited about it. We know it will be a lot of work, but we are all on board. I hear what bsf is saying and am sympathetic, but, we are going to go the breeder route for this one, which is a change for us. Probably the only time we will go this route.

This is the breeder's website, they have placed a lot service dogs with veterans and first responders and seeing eye organizations, so another clue that they are reputable I think:

http://www.bachmanmillfarm.com/

For those that follow me on facebook, I would guess I will put up some pics there. I will try and figure out how to post a few here. This thread can be so sad, thought it might be nice to have a new addition to it. The pup is apparently able to come home Christmas Eve. We are planning on naming her Ellie.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Totally new. Had never been typed before.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

On Christmas Eve?

That is going to be wonderful!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Me and Rocky, my buddy's mini pinscher. I'm not a dog person, but this little bastard is the sweetest dog. He thinks he is a bad ass doberman, but he weighs about 7 lbs.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 am Ok, to re-set, Jen and Q and I are going to pick out a yellow lab pup from what I believe to be a very reputable breeder. We had done research, they have a long and positive track record, and are certified annually by several organizations. Prior to this, in our 26 years (good lord) of marriage, Jen and I have only had rescues or pound pups (2 great pyr, a springer spaniel mix, and two lab mixes). This will be our first breeder experience. We are opting for this route now because one of our Great Pyr (Rizzo) is still with us at 10 1/2 and has always been...extra needy/difficult as a rescue. She's mellowed in her old age, and is slowed down appreciably now by hip issues. We don't have a lot of time left with her, and are hoping that she takes to the puppy and gets some joy from the pup while showing her the ropes. We think her more likely to accept a young dog into the house than an adult rescue or pound pup. But we will be super careful in monitoring the introduction and will not allow them to be alone for a good while, until we are sure Rizzo is cool with the addition.

Also, Jen really wants, just this once, a lab puppy, and I didn't want to argue against it. They are great family dogs. We are a year from being empty nesters, and this potential puppy is our mid-marriage crisis, I think, the marital equivalent of a convertible sports car. We get to go Saturday and pick out our pup (we are getting first choice from three females) and are pretty excited about it. We know it will be a lot of work, but we are all on board. I hear what bsf is saying and am sympathetic, but, we are going to go the breeder route for this one, which is a change for us. Probably the only time we will go this route.

This is the breeder's website, they have placed a lot service dogs with veterans and first responders and seeing eye organizations, so another clue that they are reputable I think:

http://www.bachmanmillfarm.com/

For those that follow me on facebook, I would guess I will put up some pics there. I will try and figure out how to post a few here. This thread can be so sad, thought it might be nice to have a new addition to it. The pup is apparently able to come home Christmas Eve. We are planning on naming her Ellie.
Are you able to bring Rizzo to meet the puppy beforehand? Puppy is probably too young at this point to even get a sense of how they will get along. At my rescue, they require adopters have their dogs meet the potential adoptee dog before finalizing. It's fascinating how some dogs just don't get along with each other.

If the breeder is placing dogs into service programs, they are doing things right. It's damned hard to get dogs into those programs.

Good luck, hope everything works out, and we are demanding pictures. Great Pyrenees are amongst my favorite breeds, so I want pictures of Rizzo, too. Just curious, but did you ever have problems with your Pyrs escaping? A neighbor has a Great Pyr mix, and the damned thing is Houdini and loves to roam. I've since read that Pyr's have a tendency to enjoy wandering. Actually, I previously posted some pics of the Pyr mix, the guy with his head stuck in a pitch and field. Awesome dog, but he isn't easy.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

No, definitely not bringing Rizzo on Saturday. She absolutely requires routine, and taking her to a new situation like that would freak her out.

Rizzo is absolutely militant over boundaries, so definitely no escape issues. She knows her yard and her home, and hews to it. Nothing we really did, just her personality.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

St. Louis moving up my nhl fan ranking

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So every morning, Izzy gets at least 90 minutes of walk and play time (usually at a nearby off leash). in the winter, we go most days to one of the area golf courses. Today was the first day that the snow had melted and Izzy showed off her ball hunting skills. She has seen me scour the bushes for balls, well today she dug under leaf piles and in the woods and I left with 22 good balls.

Wonder if "Golf Ball Sniffing Dog" can be a money-spinner like a truffle-sniffing pig?

She's a good dog indeed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:42 am So every morning, Izzy gets at least 90 minutes of walk and play time (usually at a nearby off leash). in the winter, we go most days to one of the area golf courses. Today was the first day that the snow had melted and Izzy showed off her ball hunting skills. She has seen me scour the bushes for balls, well today she dug under leaf piles and in the woods and I left with 22 good balls.

Wonder if "Golf Ball Sniffing Dog" can be a money-spinner like a truffle-sniffing pig?

She's a good dog indeed.
Good dog!

Yesterday I needed to walk to the library to pick up a book I had on hold. Normally I never take Cinders with me to a shop or library unless my wife joins me on the walk, so somebody can wait outside with her. Wife wasn't available so I planned to walk alone without the dog, but as I was getting ready, Cinders was right at the door, clearly wanting to go with me on the walk. So, I figured I'd only be inside for a second, so maybe it'd be ok. We got to the library, I secured her leash to something, and dashed in, hurrying to get back out quickly. But, of course the process of checking the book out took longer than it should have, so after the delay, I was a bit concerned about leaving her out there alone. But, what did I see when I exited the library? Three little girls circled around my dog, cooing and petting her. She was loving it. Nice.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

She is picked out - we now know who is Ellie. I put some pics on Facebook for those who are friended with me there. We do indeed pick her up Christmas Eve.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

We’re saving the name Ellie in case we ever get a weasel

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:19 pm She is picked out - we now know who is Ellie. I put some pics on Facebook for those who are friended with me there. We do indeed pick her up Christmas Eve.
Ellie was our late pooch's name. It was always fun when my parents were here with Allie Jo. They really couldn't tell the difference in the names lol.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm We’re saving the name Ellie in case we ever get a weasel
Awesome!

My old roommate and I call any weasel-like person we know "Elie."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

How do I get a pic from flickr to here?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:14 am ...

How do I get a pic from flickr to here?
Link the actual .jpg web address inside the [ img][/img ] tabs without the spaces

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The flickr album doesn't have a jpeg. It has a web http thing.

I apologize for being an idiot. This remains why I don't have an avatar.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

if it helps, imgur is pretty easy for this stuff if you put them there.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The tag is per my son, I have no idea how to get it off. The sizing is fucked up, not sure how to fix that.

But that's the dog in question.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Cute pup!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Have mercy that is a cute pup!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Here is a video my rescue posted. This dog was awesome, but I'm not too sure about the weird need to figure 8 through my legs and fall on my foot. She did this constantly. I think she is still available if anyone is interested! 5 months old, super sweet and playful. 21 pounds, now, probably get up to around 40.

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She is beautiful.

I really wish we could have a bunch of dogs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’ve had a few drinks and there’s no way I’m sharing that tonight.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.