Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Jerloma »

This is god damn ridiculous...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Poor dog - he is the very definition of miserable. How long until the cone comes off?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's off. We gave it like a day and a half. She's just not the type of dog to try to bite sutures out of her foot.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am happy to hear that. Please post a happier shot of your dog, it makes me sad just looking at her.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I work from home, and am always with my dog.

Last year, I was at an Animation Conference for three days, and as I was heading into a meeting, my wife sent me a video of my dog howling sadly as she looked out the window (for me).

It went on for three days - she'd never done it before, and thankfully hasn't done it since.

The conference is in mid-September. I am not sure if I can have this on my conscience...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Happy 10th close enough Birthday to my mutt.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Keg
The Big Lebowski

Post by Keg »

Awesome pic
My only fear of death is coming back to this b1tch reincarnated
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

rass wrote:Happy 10th close enough Birthday to my mutt.

I love you, but dafuq you doing.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

How many of you have a second dog and did it double the responsibilities or more like 1.5 since it you already had one dog?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If they're anything like kids, more than double.

It must depend a lot on the temperament of the dogs. I expect you already know about your current pup (Toby?, is that right?), so it's all on your selection of new dog. We were never sure about our dog, and I was always worried that something awful would happen and we would have to take dog #2 back to the shelter, which would just be devastating in every way. At least kids make that part of the process easier by taking that option off the table.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:If they're anything like kids, more than double.

It must depend a lot on the temperament of the dogs. I expect you already know about your current pup (Toby?, is that right?), so it's all on your selection of new dog. We were never sure about our dog, and I was always worried that something awful would happen and we would have to take dog #2 back to the shelter, which would just be devastating in every way. At least kids make that part of the process easier by taking that option off the table.
double the vet bills, at least. but like rass said, if the dogs get along, you can have them on the same schedule and everything, and it works pretty well that way. but it is not like toby has a soccer game at 4 and the other one, we'll call him josh, has piano practice at 4:15 and the only hair appointment you could get for 3 weeks is at 4:30, and whatamigonnado?. dogs are bit easier that way.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good point. Though cerrano's dogs came joined at their stubby little hips.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:Good point. Though cerrano's dogs came joined at their stubby little hips.
only one of them is unnaturally stubby.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

cerrano wrote:
rass wrote:If they're anything like kids, more than double.

double the vet bills, at least. but like rass said, if the dogs get along, you can have them on the same schedule and everything, and it works pretty well that way. but it is not like toby has a soccer game at 4 and the other one, we'll call him josh, has piano practice at 4:15 and the only hair appointment you could get for 3 weeks is at 4:30, and whatamigonnado?. dogs are bit easier that way.
I knew it'd be vet, crate, food as far as expenses go, and a second dog would have a little different lifestyle than Toby has. (Toby gets to go back and forth between my house and the parents because my dad fell in love with him.)

Toby is great with other dogs. I'm not worried about that by making sure a second dog would get along with other dogs as well. It's something I've been considering but don't know if I want to do it for reasons I'm not completely sure of either way.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Fuckin' dogs.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love that video.

Yesterday for the first time, I really noticed that my Westie is showing signs of age. Nothing dramatic, but just a bit slower, a bit wider and other subtle things.

She is 9, and is thankfully a healthy girl, but still a bit disconcerting.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

But on a happier canine note...

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:But on a happier canine note...

Well that made my day.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Dammit, Budweiser.

Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Weatherfrog's sad event struck a chord with me as my 9 year old Westie is having a health issue.

Started when I noticed that the white around her right eye was red. Vet noticed a slight bulge and prescribed anti-inflammatory drops. Red went away, but she wasnt happy so she referred us to a canine opthamologist...

Long story short, it's either a tumour, or a growth that could possibly lead to glaucoma.

Best scenario - chest x-rays will be clear so no cancer. Keep her on drops for the foreseeable future (until swelling subsides and then no more drops)

Medium scenario - chest x-rays clear, but an inflammation that could lead to glaucoma. Keep her on drops permanently.

Bad scenario - 1) chest x-rays clear, glaucoma develops. Lose the eye
2) Chest x-rays clear, but eye bulge starts to develop into a tumour. Lose the eye.

Worst Scenario - chest x-rays show something on lungs.

Now, I'm trying to keep from freaking out because she's shown no signs of cancer, and the drops are easy enough to administer. But man, this is the sort of situation you fear when you get a dog.

Anyone had a similar experience?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote:Weatherfrog's sad event struck a chord with me as my 9 year old Westie is having a health issue.

Started when I noticed that the white around her right eye was red. Vet noticed a slight bulge and prescribed anti-inflammatory drops. Red went away, but she wasnt happy so she referred us to a canine opthamologist...

Long story short, it's either a tumour, or a growth that could possibly lead to glaucoma.

Best scenario - chest x-rays will be clear so no cancer. Keep her on drops for the foreseeable future (until swelling subsides and then no more drops)

Medium scenario - chest x-rays clear, but an inflammation that could lead to glaucoma. Keep her on drops permanently.

Bad scenario - 1) chest x-rays clear, glaucoma develops. Lose the eye
2) Chest x-rays clear, but eye bulge starts to develop into a tumour. Lose the eye.

Worst Scenario - chest x-rays show something on lungs.

Now, I'm trying to keep from freaking out because she's shown no signs of cancer, and the drops are easy enough to administer. But man, this is the sort of situation you fear when you get a dog.

Anyone had a similar experience?
Just back from the vets where X-Rays were negative!

So "worst scenario" is off the table. Follow up in 3 weeks to see what's up with the eye, but a huge sigh of relief.

(And a very expensive week it was)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Excellent
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad to hear it!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks, it's a real load off my mind.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Anyone ever use musher's wax?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:Anyone ever use musher's wax?
Is that for twisting your dog's mustache into a handlebar mustache, you damned hipster?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
Is that for twisting your dog's mustache into a handlebar mustache, you damned hipster?
If any dog can pull that off, it would be PDXs (I can't remember the dog's name)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
If any dog can pull that off, it would be PDXs (I can't remember the dog's name)
Pussy Waggin'
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Pussy Waggin'

Too bad he is gay.

(great pun, though).
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Great story
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/in ... le-journey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Great story
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/in ... le-journey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man, I love dogs. That story makes me so happy.

And my terrier had a follow up eye exam (worries about a potential tumour) and the vet is very pleased and thinks that it may have been a false alarm. Whatever is causing the growth (which has shrunk) is most probably nothing serious at all.

Best birthday gift I got this year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote: And my terrier had a follow up eye exam (worries about a potential tumour) and the vet is very pleased and thinks that it may have been a false alarm. Whatever is causing the growth (which has shrunk) is most probably nothing serious at all.

Best birthday gift I got this year.
Fantastic. I stalled opening this thread when I saw you posted.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I always hesitate when opening this thread as well.

Same reason I rarely venture into the "Dusty" thread.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good to hear Pruitt.

Friends' dog ran off into the snow storm last night. Facebook finally did some good and helped them find him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:Good to hear Pruitt.

Friends' dog ran off into the snow storm last night. Facebook finally did some good and helped them find him.
Bad dog!

Love a happy ending.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

After spending last week with my sister's 80+ pound dog and 130+ pound dog, the kids are still convinced that our 45-ish pound dog shrunk while we were away.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sometimes I think I'd love to have a huge dog like that. Then, I think about all the poop, and I get over it.

But, having said that, big dogs like Newfoundlands, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Akitas, etc. are just so impressive.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian