Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:08 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 pm The rescue I volunteer at hit the big time with a story on local Indianapolis TV news. BSF, your wife's shelter needs to get their shit together, why do we have to drive a friggin' dog out to Kokomo?

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/loc ... l-surprise
I can elaborate on the shelter later, but I assume reason number one is that no one wants to go to Kokomo and you suckers fell for it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sometimes you just need to see a video of a good dog providing treats to his bunny and piglet friends.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:52 pm The rescue I volunteer at hit the big time with a story on local Indianapolis TV news. BSF, your wife's shelter needs to get their shit together, why do we have to drive a friggin' dog out to Kokomo?

I can elaborate on the shelter later, but I assume reason number one is that no one wants to go to Kokomo and you suckers fell for it.
The downside, several people from Indiana have called the rescue requesting stupid shit like a purebred Weimaraner. They founder explained that she rescues dogs from high kill shelters, and can't take special orders. The woman got pissy saying her Weimeraner died, and she wants a Weimaraner puppy, and if we won't give her what she wants, she will take her business elsewhere.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You are right!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

They just wanted to go to the Hugger.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

+1 for Hip Hugger reference.

And not that anyone cares, but Indianapolis Animal Care Services (IACS) where my wife volunteers is a high volume shelter run by the city of Indy. It's "the pound" that you may have referenced as a kid. They work out of a converted old prison on almost entirely donations, mainly because there is next to nothing left over for an animal shelter when people are concerned about funding police and public works and on and on and on. They take EVERY animal surrendered there. They've had horses, pigs, dogs, cats, exotic pets, the whole gamut. They do their best on volunteers to promote and adopt out every animal they receive and they're up to something like a 92% success rate with that, which is pretty incredible considering they get surrenders/strays that are injured or diseased or have been so abused that they're a danger.

Really neat story that they sent him a GSD. There's about 8 GSD rescues here in the area but I'm guessing they didn't have a good match (it looks like a very young GSD in the video clip). I don't know why it meant anything for it to come from NJ, but good for the kid, I hope he kicks cancer's ass and gets to raise that dog for a long time.

Kokomo still blows, but at least it has a bypass now so you don't even have to see it if you don't live there :)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:11 pm +1 for Hip Hugger reference.

And not that anyone cares, but Indianapolis Animal Care Services (IACS) where my wife volunteers is a high volume shelter run by the city of Indy. It's "the pound" that you may have referenced as a kid. They work out of a converted old prison on almost entirely donations, mainly because there is next to nothing left over for an animal shelter when people are concerned about funding police and public works and on and on and on. They take EVERY animal surrendered there. They've had horses, pigs, dogs, cats, exotic pets, the whole gamut. They do their best on volunteers to promote and adopt out every animal they receive and they're up to something like a 92% success rate with that, which is pretty incredible considering they get surrenders/strays that are injured or diseased or have been so abused that they're a danger.

Really neat story that they sent him a GSD. There's about 8 GSD rescues here in the area but I'm guessing they didn't have a good match (it looks like a very young GSD in the video clip). I don't know why it meant anything for it to come from NJ, but good for the kid, I hope he kicks cancer's ass and gets to raise that dog for a long time.

Kokomo still blows, but at least it has a bypass now so you don't even have to see it if you don't live there :)
I volunteered at adoption events with my previous town's shelter, so I completely understand the difference between a municipal pound and a rescue. This scenario actually had a lot more to do with the police officers than my rescue. One of the officers in the video also volunteers at my rescue. The kid's father put something out saying he wanted to be a police officer, so departments around the world connected with the family. The Jersey City Police Department made the kid an honorary officer, and kept in touch. When the kid's German Shepherd died, the officer saw we took in 2 surrendered German Shepherds, and had the idea of bringing the dog to the kid. I think the dog is 2 years old, just a runty Omega. The officer wanted to bring him the other GSD, but it was huge and high energy, and the woman who runs the rescue shot down the idea until this one came in.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love it.

And I'll guarantee that the hero is a "Potcake" (aka Wild Mutt).

Looks like my beast!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fantastic!
https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2 ... ore-324594

even more reason it is a shame Caps lost Jay Beagle.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Those names. Fantastic.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God help me, I watched the whole game.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also just adorable pups..."Health Scratch"
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm A good boy.

For those who don't read, Moroccan dog follows runners in a multi-day ultra marathon through the Sahara. He ran for several days, and was fed, given water and medical exams to make sure he was OK. The dog's owner was contacted, and asked for updates on where to pick him up, but let him continue through the end of the race, because he was having fun. Here he is, with his finisher's medal.

-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Why didn’t anyone tell me about that account?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm A good boy.
A VERY good dog!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I love my dog. She's truly my best friend and we spend more time together than I do with any other living thing. Hell, I love pretty much every dog.

But Izzy's annual check up was yesterday. A couple of shots, her supply of anti-flea/tick and heartworm prevention chewables, a fecal test and a 10 minute visit with the vet.

$700.

Today I got the call that her shit has traces of whipworm in it. Come to think of it, her stools did look a bit runny and red one day a couple of weeks ago, and she does love drinking out of puddles. So 5 pills cost me $170.

Like I say, I love my dog, but man!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:38 pm I love my dog. She's truly my best friend and we spend more time together than I do with any other living thing. Hell, I love pretty much every dog.

But Izzy's annual check up was yesterday. A couple of shots, her supply of anti-flea/tick and heartworm prevention chewables, a fecal test and a 10 minute visit with the vet.

$700.

Today I got the call that her shit has traces of whipworm in it. Come to think of it, her stools did look a bit runny and red one day a couple of weeks ago, and she does love drinking out of puddles. So 5 pills cost me $170.

Preach. Our last visit with the labbos cost me 1100.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:38 pm I love my dog. She's truly my best friend and we spend more time together than I do with any other living thing. Hell, I love pretty much every dog.

$700.

I feel the same way about my kids when I get the orthodontist bills and just paid for summer camps.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

$700.

Our whippet has congestive heart failure. I'll trade you vet bills.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

phxgators wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:31 pm

$700.

Our whippet has congestive heart failure. I'll trade you vet bills.
Sorry to hear that - I've been there as well.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We were told 6-9 months about a year and a half ago. She *seems* to be doing fairly well, but she doesn't run like she used to. Could be some old age too (she's 10).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My girl is curled up on the floor at my feet.

I feel bad for kvetching.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Nah, don't feel bad. Sure wasn't my intent. Just an off the cuff remark after a long day.

Side note, took the kids to work today and we're a dog friendly office. Was a lot of fun watching them love all the new-to-them pups.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good girls.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

any suggestions for a dog that is suddenly, at the age of 5, scared of rain?

I'm not talking about not going outside in the rain (she's already needed much convincing for years). But rather a need to be next to me or someone else whenever it's raining. And at night, that means clamoring to get out of her crate and either keeping me up that way or by her inability to stay still on the bed trying to hide. (I turned on a white noise machine in the room with her crate last night and she made it an hour and got panicked with rain that I had to try hard to listen for).

Thunder makes it worse, obviously. She's never really liked that. But all the sudden she's scared when she hears rain outside, even if there isn't much/any thunder. I have no idea what the heck has happened.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our dog had that issue, though I know exactly when it started: the night hurricane (sorry, Super Storm) Sandy rolled through. Thunder storms and even just high winds drove him crazy for years afterwards.

He went somewhat deaf at some point in the past year, so we're good now.

Thundershirt? Never really worked for our dog, but some people swear by them.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am Our dog had that issue, though I know exactly when it started: the night hurricane (sorry, Super Storm) Sandy rolled through. Thunder storms and even just high winds drove him crazy for years afterwards.

Our dog, despite being alpha when he feels like it, and always willing to throw down should an alpha decide to challenge him, is terrified of rain and wind, and while he’s been better the past year, he used to get really get anxious in the car, too.

The thunder-shirt really helps with rain. He’ll still want to be near us when it’s thundering, but you notice his heart rate doesn’t elevate and he isn’t displaying signs of distress. If it’s a particularly nasty storm, or we’re going to on a road trip, we’ll give him a couple calming / anxiety treats that just work. They’re beautiful. I’ll have to ask my wife what brand they are (we keep a ziplock of them in the center console)..
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:05 am
rass wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am Our dog had that issue, though I know exactly when it started: the night hurricane (sorry, Super Storm) Sandy rolled through. Thunder storms and even just high winds drove him crazy for years afterwards.

Our dog, despite being alpha when he feels like it, and always willing to throw down should an alpha decide to challenge him, is terrified of rain and wind, and while he’s been better the past year, he used to get really get anxious in the car, too.

The thunder-shirt really helps with rain. He’ll still want to be near us when it’s thundering, but you notice his heart rate doesn’t elevate and he isn’t displaying signs of distress. If it’s a particularly nasty storm, or we’re going to on a road trip, we’ll give him a couple calming / anxiety treats that just work. They’re beautiful. I’ll have to ask my wife what brand they are (we keep a ziplock of them in the center console)..
I'd take that rec on the treats. We had some for our old dog and they were not effective.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah those treats may be worth trying. I can't see her acquiescing to a thundershirt. but that may also be worth a try because I would like to sleep

got her to go outside just now after the rain stopped and then she immediately tweaked her back left leg that bothers her so she still hasn't peed. she's got a hell of a bladder
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 am

I'd take that rec on the treats. We had some for our old dog and they were not effective.
Head to Tail Calming Chews. I have the medium to large dog version (my dog is 75-80 lbs), and it works really well on him. They're sorta pricey though.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:53 am

Head to Tail Calming Chews. I have the medium to large dog version (my dog is 75-80 lbs), and it works really well on him. They're sorta pricey though.
why do I keep waiting for some one to admit they have sampled the pet calming chews or gone the other direction and made their own pet edibles.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:53 am

why do I keep waiting for some one to admit they have sampled the pet calming chews or gone the other direction and made their own pet edibles.
There's an entire CBD store not far from me that has a large selection for pets.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah I was going to look into CBD-based treats but keep forgetting to do it.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 am yeah those treats may be worth trying. I can't see her acquiescing to a thundershirt. but that may also be worth a try because I would like to sleep

got her to go outside just now after the rain stopped and then she immediately tweaked her back left leg that bothers her so she still hasn't peed. she's got a hell of a bladder
1. dog went 23ish hours between pees yesterday because of the rain. super impressive

2. dog couldn't put any weight on her leg the rest of the day and this morning so

3. we went to the vet and they suspect a torn ACL. anti-inflammatories for two weeks and then x-rays to confirm for a potential surgery

4. I at least got to ask about the thundershirt and other anxiety issues while I was there

5. my vet bill was $69 today
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Our puppie (unofficially six months old today!) has had a pretty bad case of the runs the last day or so. Between how she's been letting us know and how great she was this weekend when we took her to a hotel, she's made her mom and dad really happy considering the interactions with her and the girls cause a lot of annoyance.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:13 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 am yeah those treats may be worth trying. I can't see her acquiescing to a thundershirt. but that may also be worth a try because I would like to sleep

1. dog went 23ish hours between pees yesterday because of the rain. super impressive

2. dog couldn't put any weight on her leg the rest of the day and this morning so

3. we went to the vet and they suspect a torn ACL. anti-inflammatories for two weeks and then x-rays to confirm for a potential surgery

4. I at least got to ask about the thundershirt and other anxiety issues while I was there

5. my vet bill was $69 today
I think I discussed this upthread, but my doggo blew out her ACL and tore her meniscus right at the end of December, 2017, with surgery in early January, 2018. Total cost of surgery, drugs, x-rays and rehab, IIRC, was around $8-9k, and that is after insurance paid some of it.

ETA: Wife corrects me that after insurance recovery, it was a bit less...
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed May 01, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That’s insane. Not that you would pay it, but the cost.