Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by rass »

Fuck. Sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The fun part is that you can only tell it's bothering her when she gets all happy and excited. Dogs!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh that's so shitty. So sorry.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I made a sad rescue dog PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmRTjG1N0g
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I could ban one thread from this site, its this one without a doubt.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is priceless.

Fresh snow all over the place today - best hour and a half in dog park history today.

I tossed maybe a dozen snowballs towards Izzy and her friends, and they looked surprised every single time they caught a snowball and it exploded into cold wetness.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Maggie update, and it's ok you can keep reading!

Bad news - it's cancerous
Good news - it's a sarcoma which means it likely won't spread anywhere
Bad news - it's right under the base of her tongue so surgery would be very stupid unless we enjoy paying >$3K for a dog with half a jaw and a useless tongue.
Good news - it's extremely small and smooth so it's probably not even bothering her
Conjecture - in fact, it may have been there for years
Good news - Puttin' suckers in fear
Bad news - She finally has to switch foods for the first time in her almost 13 years of Pro-Plan inhaling life, because the dry food was irritating the biopsy spot so much that we were at the vet Xmas Eve showing them the pictures of the sheet that she was laying on that night because it was covered in first-3-minutes-of-CSI amounts of blood
Good news - That stopped already, and she eats poop all the time so this is actually not a big deal

Livestrong
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maggie > McCain
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's good news!

At the golf course where Izzy runs like a maniac yesterday, and she was playing with a dog who is nearly 15 - I would have guessed she was 8 or so. Dog was in great shape.

This will be your Maggie!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great news
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, DeShaun Watson, Julian Edelman, Adrian Peterson, and now my dog, too.

Yesterday morning, we were in Flagstaff, Arizona at a park on the campus of Northern Arizona U. There for the purpose of playing with our doggo Cinders, and getting her to take her morning poop. (We had driven to Albuquerque for Christmas and were about to embark on our second day of driving homeward.)

I throw a stick. Dog starts to run to retrieve it, but after a few fast steps she yelps out and collapses in a heap. Tries to get up but can't put weight on her left rear leg. So, I carry her to the car. A quick trip to a Flagstaff vet tells us that she is good to go for the drive home and that it doesn't appear to be a break. Good! (wrong!). But, after two more days of driving she isn't feeling any better and still limps badly and won't put weight on that leg. So, we hit the vet hospital as soon as we arrive in San Carlos. X-ray reveals she blew out her ACL. Now, I've scheduled the surgery. The hardest part (aside from paying for it) will be having to figure out how to keep a (normally) very active dog relatively immobile for a matter of months. I'll have to carry her outside for peeing and pooping in the backyard. I've going to have a new workout program of carrying her 50+ pounds around. This is going to be expensive and a pain in the ass. But, Cinders means a ton to my daughter, my wife, and me. So, we are down for whatever needs to be done.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:So, DeShaun Watson, Julian Edelman, Adrian Peterson, and now my dog, too.

Yesterday morning, we were in Flagstaff, Arizona at a park on the campus of Northern Arizona U. There for the purpose of playing with our doggo Cinders, and getting her to take her morning poop. (We had driven to Albuquerque for Christmas and were about to embark on our second day of driving homeward.)

I throw a stick. Dog starts to run to retrieve it, but after a few fast steps she yelps out and collapses in a heap. Tries to get up but can't put weight on her left rear leg. So, I carry her to the car. A quick trip to a Flagstaff vet tells us that she is good to go for the drive home and that it doesn't appear to be a break. Good! (wrong!). But, after two more days of driving she isn't feeling any better and still limps badly and won't put weight on that leg. So, we hit the vet hospital as soon as we arrive in San Carlos. X-ray reveals she blew out her ACL. Now, I've scheduled the surgery. The hardest part (aside from paying for it) will be having to figure out how to keep a (normally) very active dog relatively immobile for a matter of months. I'll have to carry her outside for peeing and pooping in the backyard. I've going to have a new workout program of carrying her 50+ pounds around. This is going to be expensive and a pain in the ass. But, Cinders means a ton to my daughter, my wife, and me. So, we are down for whatever needs to be done.

That sucks man. How old? 50 lbs isn’t that bad though (I just envisioned this happening to my 88 lb labrador-shepherd-boxer-sharpei mix). You’ll wind up loving the dog even more when it’s all said and done though.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:So, DeShaun Watson, Julian Edelman, Adrian Peterson, and now my dog, too.

Same thing just happened to a friend's dog. Much easier with a lazy 8 pound havanese. They have been able to keep her immobile. Another friend's shepherd mix tore his ACL several years ago. Impossible to keep him immobile, but they kept him from playing with other dogs, and he healed perfectly.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:That sucks man. How old? 50 lbs isn’t that bad though (I just envisioned this happening to my 88 lb labrador-shepherd-boxer-sharpei mix). You’ll wind up loving the dog even more when it’s all said and done though.

She's 9 years old. At her size she should have a few more good years left. She's a golden retriever/border collie/other? mix. Super mellow and loves 95% of dogs and non-mailmen/UPS/Fedex people she meets.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Poor Cinders - it'll be a tough start to the New Year, but she'll be fine.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

My lab that just passed away at 14 years and 11 months blew both of her ACLS. The first one at one year old when she was running and stepped in the hole. She did the other leg the next year after tumbling down a hill. Back then it was about $5,000 per leg and a %50 chance of success. We chose to not have either done. We babied her until it healed up enough that she was still a crazy, very active dog until her last 3 months. I don;t think you always have to have the surgery. in our case it worked out fine. We jsut kept her on lots of supplements for arthritis and she didn't need and anti-inflammatories until her last 6 months. FWIW
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My sister's 100+ lb Great Dane mix made it through an ACL repair, so I'm sure your girl (and you) can do it.

Sad note, my wife's sister's family's 8 year old Shih Tzu died suddenly yesterday. She was fine, then a minute later she was just gone. Sweetest little dog ever, with a tongue that was too big to fit in her mouth. Adorable.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think my dog might have torn her ACL as well. It's been partly torn for a long time, but she may have finished it the other day. My son took both dogs for a walk in the woods. On the way back, they had to cross a frozen creek. She could have just stepped down and walked across, but I think she panicked and kind of jumped down on the ice. One leg went through, the others didn't. Now she won't put any weight on that leg.

I went through this with a prior lab. Just as her first leg healed up (after about 6 months), the other one went. It's a pain to carry them up and down stairs, but you get used to it. And they do recover.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, Dave. As I type this, right now my doggo is undergoing surgery for her torn ACL and torn meniscus. In our pre-op consultation, the doc said that the prognosis is very good for a full recovery, but that there is a 50% chance that the ACL in her other hind leg tears at some later date. I learned a lot in that meeting. Apparently, the traditional operation they've done in the past works great on little, old, and/or sedentary dogs but was not working well for big and/or active dogs. So, there is a new procedure developed in the last couple years that works much better, and that is the surgery our dog is having now.

She will stay in the hospital overnight and we will pick her up in the morning. I'm a little concerned about that, because we had an earthquake last night, and the forecast is for a thunderstorm tonight. I can just imagine her getting freaked out tonight by an after-shock or thunder and bolting up and messing up her knee repair. Hopefully she'll be sedated to such a degree that that won't occur.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What is the new surgery she's having done? When our first dog was done, about 15 years ago, we did was a pretty new procedure at the time. Instead of replacing the ligament with a synthetic fiber, they actually cut and reshaped her bone so that the joint worked at a different angle. Apparently that was a more successful surgery for larger dogs and not too many vets did it yet. I wonder if there's something newer now.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:What is the new surgery she's having done? When our first dog was done, about 15 years ago, we did was a pretty new procedure at the time. Instead of replacing the ligament with a synthetic fiber, they actually cut and reshaped her bone so that the joint worked at a different angle. Apparently that was a more successful surgery for larger dogs and not too many vets did it yet. I wonder if there's something newer now.

That sounds just like the procedure that is being done on my dog. But, I doubt our vet would have described it as "new" if it is 15 years old.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shit dude maybe in veterinary medicine that is new. (Not sarcastic.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:
Shirley wrote:What is the new surgery she's having done? When our first dog was done, about 15 years ago, we did was a pretty new procedure at the time. Instead of replacing the ligament with a synthetic fiber, they actually cut and reshaped her bone so that the joint worked at a different angle. Apparently that was a more successful surgery for larger dogs and not too many vets did it yet. I wonder if there's something newer now.

That sounds just like the procedure that is being done on my dog. But, I doubt our vet would have described it as "new" if it is 15 years old.

I think it was pretty unusual at the time, so it may still be considered the new treatment.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Happy Post!

testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We had our annual dog birthday party on sunday. The kids decided that a few slices of bacon are appropriate for a 15th birthday. The torn acl from a few months back is pretty good. It sometimes takes her a while to get the legs moving, but now she can walk outside and around the house.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Is it really ok to just carry a dog into a coffee shop? Aren’t there health rules regarding that? Do we have anyone here that carries their dog into public places? I’ll hang up and take your answer off the air.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Unless the dog is spraying shit its probably no more unhealthy than a kid.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 am We had our annual dog birthday party on sunday. The kids decided that a few slices of bacon are appropriate for a 15th birthday. The torn acl from a few months back is pretty good. It sometimes takes her a while to get the legs moving, but now she can walk outside and around the house.
Ah, that's great to hear!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great testuser.

And as true as mister d's statement might be, there usually are local health regulations regarding dogs in food serving establishments (federally(?) mandated allowances for service animals aside).

We saw a dog on the subway in NYC on Saturday. He was a good dog.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am Unless the dog is spraying shit its probably no more unhealthy than a kid.
Does a kid carry fleas and ticks?
Are people allergic to kids?
Or have fears of them?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am Unless the dog is spraying shit its probably no more unhealthy than a kid.
Or have fears of them?
Around here you can take your doggo to an outdoor pateo area but not inside. I think the health concern largely regards hair and dander.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pmDoes a kid carry fleas and ticks?
Or have fears of them?
Ask a cop ; )
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Except for the carrying part, all the damn time.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:18 pm
Or have fears of them?
Based on emails from my kids school I may start wearing a flea collar and frontline.
Based on some of the folks I have seen at the coffee shops in New York, LA, and DC.....they may be allergic
Based on parenting of some these days, you should be afraid of them
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Harry Nilsson wrote:If only I could have a puppy
I'd call myself so very lucky
Just to have some company
To share a cup of tea with me
I'd take my puppy everywhere
La, la, la, la, I wouldn't care
Then we'll stay away from crowds
With signs that said "no dogs allowed"
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm Except for the carrying part, all the damn time.
You just walk your dog into a grocery store or a coffee shop or a doctor’s office? I don’t mean public places like outdoor cafés or parks. Of course, I have no issue with that. I don’t really have an issue with it, just thought that in food service places, that wasn’t allowed.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DON'T WORRY - No unhappy ending.

My dog is unbelievably fast and - I thought until this morning - well trained. Her recall has been good enough that I was comfortable letting her run all over the nearby golf courses.

Well today as I was trudging up a hill behind her, she took off. As I crested the hill, I saw her standing at the foot of a 50 foot hill (covered in snow, ice, tree limbs etc.) barking at a young deer that was running across the top of the hill. I called her and she took off up and then over this hill. The course is near some busy streets.

Don't know how the hell I made it up that hill (calling her the whole way) but nothing. At the top of the hill are a couple of homes on narrow lots. Luckily the snow was fresh and I could follow her tracks and the deer's. Deer veered off and Izzy;s tracks kept going back down the other side of the hill. Steep, icy, I slid down most of the way calling, no sign of her.

Ultimately, she came back to me (and luckily, the other side of the hill was still on the golf course). Needless to say, she is a bad dog.

So, question is - have any of you had to teach recall to an adult dog? Izzy is 2. And what worked?

When we first got her, we trained her with the "touch" method where she'd run to the hand and get rewarded with a treat.

Anyone use a whistle?

Man, this could have been a grim morning.