Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by Shirley »

I wouldn't say 2 is an adult dog. Full grown, sure, but still a puppy brain. You can definitely teach her still.

My second dog was poorly trained as a puppy because her obedience class was shit. We kind of put up with it until I decided to try again when she was 3. That worked really well and totally improved her behavior. I got a training collar and it came with a DVD of how to use it. The DVD has fantastic. The two general ideas were 1) train without treats. Just use positive encouragement, scratches, etc. instead. That way they learn to respond to you all the time, not just when you have treats in your hand. And 2) don't actually use the collar until after the dog is trained. Put it on her to start training, so she learns that the collar is fun. Eventually, you can start using it to give reminders when she's not listening.

In fact, I need to get the batteries replaced in mine so I can do the same on my "new" dog who's nearly 4 now, but still very puppy like.

The brand I got was SportDog. I think I got the Field Training one with a range of 400 feet. I don't know that they still ship the DVD, but they have some good training videos here - https://www.sportdog.com/about-us/galleries Check out the one on The Come/Here Command.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 pm Except for the carrying part, all the damn time.
You just walk your dog into a grocery store or a coffee shop or a doctor’s office? I don’t mean public places like outdoor cafés or parks. Of course, I have no issue with that. I don’t really have an issue with it, just thought that in food service places, that wasn’t allowed.
I don't just do it willy nilly like I own the place. There's 2 coffee shops where I know the staff and are totally cool with it. Other than that, I'll take him to my PT's office, and pretty much any non-grocery store unless I know they're specifically forbidden (REI, Target). No restaurants.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 am I wouldn't say 2 is an adult dog. Full grown, sure, but still a puppy brain. You can definitely teach her still.
Yeah - think I gave her too much credit. I'll definitely look into your recommendations. She was a bad girl today, but definitely don't ever want to feel the fear I had scrambling up and down that hill.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Next dog I train (hopefully years from now) I'm definitely going with the clicker method.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The "wife did all the work" training method worked well at our house.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

damn, that's scary. Glad she eventually came back.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Disclaimer...I realize this is awful and not the dog's fault and there's plenty of human error involved so I don't require that lecture.

I punched a pitbull/boxer (possibly American bulldog) in the face the other night and knocked his tooth out. Again sounds awful out of context, but also kinda bad ass, no?

Anyway, context...

Sunday night, I'm making a nice turkey chili, drinking some cab, and listening to yacht rock when my friend and his faghag (aka my wife), come in with this dog they just adopted.

This place has got to be shady because while he was a sweetheart to the humans, they could not have properly-tested it to call it dog friendly. Regardless, they shouldn't have taken the dog right to a house with another dog.

So because they told them he loved other dogs, we let Alex bring Sarge up. Within 15 seconds this guy has his jaws locked around Sarge's throat. Greyhounds can look intimidating but they are essentially defenseless. He didn't even bark. He was just in terror. So, I have both collars and I'm trying to pull the dogs apart but the thing was too strong and I realized if I was going to get his jaws open, I'd need to inflict some pain. Even if I was able to pull them apart, he probably would have pulled his flesh right out. That's when I just started throwing haymakers. The tooth coming out must have been when he opened. My wife had his collar at that point and pulled him back and put him outside. Scary shit.

Sarge was a bloody mess and foaming at the mouth. We got him to the ER, and $700 later, thankfully he's going to be okay. They sedated him and stapled him up, accordingly. Thankfully didn't get an artery or anything.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm damn, that's scary. Glad she eventually came back.
Thanks - although "came back" is giving her too much credit. She came to me after I had damn near killed myself scrambling up and down that f-ing hill. My hamstrings are killing me!

And Jerloma - that is a terrifying story. When you say they "just" adopted the dog, are you talking days? Because that is ridiculous that they would bring it to where another dog lives without knowing its behaviour patterns.

Poor Sarge. Attacked in his own home.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'd go with "I saved my dog's life" over "knocked a dog's tooth out" if you want to sound badass.

For the record, I'd never let another dog into my house until I observed my own dog's behavior around the visiting dog outside the house. If you're keeping score, it's in that sentiment where the human errors occurred.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yes, that is correct. Especially a dog that could kill.

Although, if an agency labels him dog-friendly, couldn't you conceivably just bring that dog back to a home that already has a dog or dogs?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 pmAlthough, if an agency labels him dog-friendly, couldn't you conceivably just bring that dog back to a home that already has a dog or dogs?
It's not an appliance. It's a living thing that has just been introduced to an unfamiliar environment. Bad on the handlers' part for allowing that situation before they even know the animal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

holy shit
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:05 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 pmAlthough, if an agency labels him dog-friendly, couldn't you conceivably just bring that dog back to a home that already has a dog or dogs?
It's not an appliance. It's a living thing that has just been introduced to an unfamiliar environment. Bad on the handlers' part for allowing that situation before they even know the animal.
Exactly. Very irresponsible of them.

We know dogs - my Izzy loves dogs, friendly and will bounce up to most any dog, ready to play. But I have seen her take an immediate disliking to a couple of dogs (and vice versa). She's not vicious, but the key is that I know her tells. That's what a responsible dog owner would do. Get to know their own damn dog before putting it in a situation like that.

(I am getting more and more pissed off as I type this.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, it's worse than that. They literally brought him over right from the Petsmart.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn that's some scary stuff.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:27 pm Yeah, it's worse than that. They literally brought him over right from the Petsmart.
I'm joining Pruitt in the pissed-off camp.

Glad that Sarge is ok.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shows pretty clearly those people shouldn't be owning a pitbull mix.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 pm Yes, that is correct. Especially a dog that could kill.

Although, if an agency labels him dog-friendly, couldn't you conceivably just bring that dog back to a home that already has a dog or dogs?
The rescue I volunteer at requires every family member and dog is present at the time of adoption. They watch the dog interact with everyone for 30 minutes before signing it over. It's amazing to see how some dogs just don't click. I've seen super friendly dogs who play with every dog completely snub one dog for no apparent reason. Some totally friendly dogs will just not like another dog. It's odd. I've seen dogs choose their owners, too. At one very busy adoption event, a dog was just insistent on going home with one family. They weren't even looking. Friendly dog, went up to everyone, but kept pulling away and sitting with this one family. Then he wouldn't walk, he'd pull towards them and sit. They ended up calling the father to drive over with their dog, and adopted. It was strange, but that dog just wanted to be with that one family.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. You are a badass, Jerloma.

I know I will touch a nerve here among some of you, but I fucking hate pit bulls.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:27 pm Yeah, it's worse than that. They literally brought him over right from the Petsmart.
Now it's a bit more clear to me what happened.

That dog was scared. Had he been established in his forever home long enough to allow his new owners to rub his belly (when your dog rolls over on his back exposing his stomach for a scratch, he trusts you), then my guess is the chances are that scene doesn't play out the way it did.

Still, I always ask friends who are bringing their dog over to call me once they arrive (before knocking on the door). I just bring my dog outside (leashed), and then he can acknowledge the visitors, including the dog.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm Damn. You are a badass, Jerloma.

I know I will touch a nerve here among some of you, but I fucking hate pit bulls.
It's more complicated than that, but I too make sure both my hands are free whenever my pup's around one of them.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Having a dog sounds exhausting.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:28 pm Having a dog sounds exhausting.
I live in a row house. It's as much about getting my dog (85 lbs) to bounce around outside with the other dog as it is to (re)familiarize himself with the other dog.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Oh and for the record: I'm very sorry about what happened to your pup, Jerloma.
Noli Timere Messorem
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

That poor pupper. You should make the tooth into a necklace and wear it around like those shark tooth necklaces at the beach.

The testuser family is really bad at dog training. We trained our dog so badly that even at 15 with no ACL she wandered over to the neighbors house yesterday in the snow and ate their catfood.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Christ 'Loma, that's nuts. Hope Sarge gets on the mend OK.

Honestly I hope the other dog is OK too. Just a crappy situation. I know he was the aggressor, but I just hate the idea of any dog getting hurt. That said I'd waylay anyone on a family member of mine, be them canine, human, alien squid, IDGAF.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 pm That said I'd ...lay any... family member of mine, be them canine, human, alien squid, IDGAF.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Keep the mutt’s food bin the the garage. Lid has gotten cracked over the years. Went to scoop his dinner and there are three house mice in there.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:55 pm Keep the mutt’s food bin the the garage. Lid has gotten cracked over the years. Went to scoop his dinner and there are three house mice in there.
We use bins in the garage too. Pretty thick plastic ones. Never cracked, but one time - years ago - I went to scoop and nearly shat myself when I almost scooped up a dead mouse. A little investigation showed it had chewed its way in from the top. Not sure why it died.

If it had been my wife instead of me getting the food that time, she'd have had a heart attack and died. Or come back into the house and killed me just because.

Never happened again since, but I always check before putting my hand in.

[Jerloma - that story is crazy. I'm really sorry for your poor dog. But, damn, you have a great party story now.]
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:55 pm Keep the mutt’s food bin the the garage. Lid has gotten cracked over the years. Went to scoop his dinner and there are three house mice in there.
Good source of protein.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I bet those house mice was uppity.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 pm I bet those house mice was uppity.
Crackerjack!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I helped save another lost dog yesterday.

My wife went to a new place for an eyebrow wax, and asked me to go along (I guess in case the place was shady, but my parents were in town so we didn't have to worry about the kids, so why not). The shop owner has a beautiful grey girl pitbull who I guess comes to work sometimes, and she was about the most lovable lump ever and just sat at my feet for about an hour while I rubbed her belly.

Yesterday afternoon some pictures popped up on a local FB forum of a grey pitbull wandering around town, in the area of where the dog/owner lives (street address was on her collar). So I called the shop, explained what was up to the owner, and she rushed out and apparently found her.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 am I helped save another lost dog yesterday.

My wife went to a new place for an eyebrow wax, and asked me to go along (I guess in case the place was shady, but my parents were in town so we didn't have to worry about the kids, so why not). The shop owner has a beautiful grey girl pitbull who I guess comes to work sometimes, and she was about the most lovable lump ever and just sat at my feet for about an hour while I rubbed her belly.

Yesterday afternoon some pictures popped up on a local FB forum of a grey pitbull wandering around town, in the area of where the dog/owner lives (street address was on her collar). So I called the shop, explained what was up to the owner, and she rushed out and apparently found her.
I think the word hero is thrown around too often, but you sir, are a true hero.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So most of us are Facebook friends but I always like giving this thread a happy bump.

This is Mack. Mack is currently sitting on his sister's head. He likes head pats, belly rubs, and knows how to sit, but not how to go to the bathroom quickly in freezing Indiana mornings.

This is Riley. Riley is smaller and less derpy than Mack. She likes biting her brother, stealing his toys, and pretending like she doesn't know what she's doing when she totally knows exactly what she's doing.

We like them. They're 9 and 10 month old labs. And good dogs.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats man
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 am Out with an ear.
That's a shame - Fanucci has come back from a lot. But no doubt, still a very good boy.

And those labs look ridiculously wonderful! Your house must be a riot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that's great, BSF. Congrats.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Saw it on FB. Adorable pups. Enjoy.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.