Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not my new dog, but my sister's new pup. However my daughter and I want to steal him. Part Daschund, Part something else. Got him on Thanksgiving..named him Arlo in honor of the Alice's Restaurant.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/41WnUTfV3Vo9X1S56
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 pm Not my new dog, but my sister's new pup. However my daughter and I want to steal him. Part Daschund, Part something else. Got him on Thanksgiving..named him Arlo in honor of the Alice's Restaurant.
So young and already promoted to assistant branch manager!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 pm Not my new dog, but my sister's new pup. However my daughter and I want to steal him. Part Daschund, Part something else. Got him on Thanksgiving..named him Arlo in honor of the Alice's Restaurant.
So young and already promoted to assistant branch manager!
He's got a real eye for leadership.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Where'd the gecko talk go???
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 am Where'd the gecko talk go???
Wonder if it bit AB's tail off.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:11 am
rass wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 am Where'd the gecko talk go???
Wonder if it bit AB's tail off.
Eh. I dunno, just took it down.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I took it down because there’s 900 dogs in this thread and I felt like I was being weird putting lizards in. I dunno I’m a mess these days. So frigging overwhelmed with things.

Anyway as this is the dog thread. I should tell you that we ended up being temporary foster for the Yorkie. We just weren’t ready for an untrained adult yorkie. So we gave her to a friend who has had Yorkies before and was looking for a new one. She is apparently doing great there. We just weren’t able to be around enough for the dog to be happy so we had a number of issues. She is in better hands now. We are first choice dog sitters for her which is probably about right.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Go to sitter is a good spot. Like being a grandparent. We do that with my parents' dog. He's a rescue and chill, but after a few days here, he'll hole up in the closet mostly. My boys are loud and I wouldn't be surprised if the dog had some early trauma with noise associated.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just pissed I couldn't come up with a good LOTR joke before you nuked it. I was letting it marinate!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And nothing wrong with figuring out a pet isn't for you, especially when you go to the trouble to make sure she ends up in a good home.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:17 am And nothing wrong with figuring out a pet isn't for you, especially when you go to the trouble to make sure she ends up in a good home.
I agree. No shame, AB. (That last part is key.)

We got quietly pissed off at a neighbor who bought a white lab pup, but ditched it after the novelty wore off with their kids and they realized that owning a dog take work.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 am The 2 vs 2 split in my family seems to have tilted to 3 vs me over the weekend.
4 vs 0.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 am
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 am The 2 vs 2 split in my family seems to have tilted to 3 vs me over the weekend.
4 vs 0.
Potcake!

Wonderful mid-sized (35-60 pound) dogs.

Tell them Izzy sent you.
Izzy Smiling.jpg
Izzy Smiling.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 562 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I forgot how much work a puppy was and then I remembered exactly how much work a puppy is and I didn’t even take the first night.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Since BFJ hates dogs I’ll be the one to say “we used to have rules around here!”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:21 am Since BFJ hates dogs I’ll be the one to say “we used to have rules around here!”
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:21 am Since BFJ hates dogs I’ll be the one to say “we used to have rules around here!”
I love me some Gus, how dare you.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thanks BFJ. That’s Spencer, life I’m co-responsible for #3.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 am Thanks BFJ. That’s Spencer, life I’m co-responsible for #3.
He's adorable.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn that's some cute dogginess.

I am so glad we adopted a pre-trained adult dog. Not only would I suck at putting in the time to train a dog properly, but no way could I discipline something that cute.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 am Damn that's some cute dogginess.

I am so glad we adopted a pre-trained adult dog. Not only would I suck at putting in the time to train a dog properly, but no way could I discipline something that cute.
I would only consider getting an adult or adolescent but trained dog at this point. My wife has never had a dog and has all sorts of concerns, and I don't want to scare her off with the work, mess and craziness of puppy energy. The only way she would make it through the first few days is an easy going dog who isn't going to pee in the house or nip at everyone/everything in a playful teething way.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 am Damn that's some cute dogginess.

I would only consider getting an adult or adolescent but trained dog at this point. My wife has never had a dog and has all sorts of concerns, and I don't want to scare her off with the work, mess and craziness of puppy energy. The only way she would make it through the first few days is an easy going dog who isn't going to pee in the house or nip at everyone/everything in a playful teething way.
We were basically saved by the folks doing the adoptions at Petco that day. They told us that the dog my wife and kids were looking at was not good for first-time dog owners. So we went with a dog far bigger than we even considered, who had been just staring quietly at us the whole time from his cage. He was between 3 and 4 when we got him, now nearly seven years ago.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Awwww
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:03 pm

We were basically saved by the folks doing the adoptions at Petco that day. They told us that the dog my wife and kids were looking at was not good for first-time dog owners. So we went with a dog far bigger than we even considered, who had been just staring quietly at us the whole time from his cage. He was between 3 and 4 when we got him, now nearly seven years ago.
Once I feel safe returning to the rescue where I volunteer, I'm going to put out some feelers with my wife. She has surprised me recently randomly saying a friend's dogs seemed like a good fit for us (2 boxers, which shocked me), she told me she had a long conversation with her friend about preventing her dog from scratching wood floors, and the friend said it's not an issue, then at a soccer clinic, a friend was saying my wife was asking a lot of questions about their dog and seemed like she was looking. I take them off the van why they drive a vanload up from the South, so I spend a couple hours with them, (taking walks, playing outside, helping the groomers and vet) and get a good feel for their personalities. There is also an indescribable "chemistry" similar to dating. Some dogs and people are just naturally attracted to each other and bond instantly. I've had that happen about a dozen times, where a dog will just attach to me, and I fall in love with them. I've seen it with other volunteers, and at adoption events, where a dog just picks an owner. Once I was working at the rescue during a street fair. We had about 10 dogs on the lawn and people could meet the dogs. This one puppy I was handling was very friendly and excited to meet everyone, but this one family, he was obsessed with them. They would try to give other people a chance to pet the dog, but he was locked in on them. The kids walked away and sat down, and the dog followed and sat in the boys lap and wouldn't get up. The mother said their dog died a few months before, and they weren't ready to adopt. 10 minutes later, she called her husband and made him come down. He said he wasn't ready, but he would humor her. The dog latched onto the husband, and they ended up adopting him.

This is 100% more of an issue when a person with a dog comes to adopt. We make them bring their dogs to see how they get along. Some dogs just instantly click, or have no interest in a specific dog even though they are excited to meet almost every other dog. It's just an instant chemistry thing, and weird to see. Some dogs only get along with males or females, or big/small dogs, but there can be a weird instant dislike or bond. Dogs are so damned fascinating.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 am Thanks BFJ. That’s Spencer, life I’m co-responsible for #3.
Congrats!
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's a good looking pup!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pmThe only way she would make it through the first few days is an easy going dog who isn't going to pee in the house or nip at everyone/everything in a playful teething way.
Would you like to guess which two things he's been doing while awake?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pmThe only way she would make it through the first few days is an easy going dog who isn't going to pee in the house or nip at everyone/everything in a playful teething way.
Being Cute and Being Adorable?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:26 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 pm
Being Cute and Being Adorable?
That's why God made puppies so cute. If they weren't, we'd kill them all.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I see your points, but our house has four geriatric pets right now (3 cats and the dogs), and its hard (and expensive) dealing with all the various peccadilloes.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:57 pm

I see your points, but our house has four geriatric pets right now (3 cats and the dogs), and its hard (and expensive) dealing with all the various peccadilloes.
That's why you kill them when they hit 6 or 7, make sure you catch it before they start having health problems.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

4 dogs put a serious dent in our finances...not going without pet insurance ever again.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:58 pm

That's why you kill them when they hit 6 or 7, make sure you catch it before they start having health problems.
I’ve never been so proud of you.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 pm4 dogs put a serious dent in our finances...not going without pet insurance ever again.
Speaking of this ... trying to figure this out as we never did it last time. Anything I should be looking out for in terms of non-standard things to know or scammy pieces?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 am
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 pm4 dogs put a serious dent in our finances...not going without pet insurance ever again.
Speaking of this ... trying to figure this out as we never did it last time. Anything I should be looking out for in terms of non-standard things to know or scammy pieces?
https://www.consumerreports.org/pet-ins ... insurance/

https://money.com/best-pet-insurance/
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:45 am
My employer has a discount with MetLife (PetFirst is the name of their brand) so I went with that...it was far and away cheaper than any other quotes we got. My vet recommended Nationwide or MetLife as the best companies. We just got a couple of kittens last week (more on that to come) and they came with a 30 day trial with Trupanion which is also pretty highly rated. Trupanion allegedly will honor the same rate no matter the age of the pet so if you sign up your dog when he is 2 years old they will charge the same rate even when the dog is 10.

You can basically pick how much coverage you want in terms of annual limit and deductible amount...so decide how much want to risk there vs. how much the monthly premium is. You can also pick the % you want to be reimbursed for claim. If you have multiple pets it can be cheaper to have them each on their own policy vs. combining them on one policy. If you combine multiple pets on one the total coverage amount is for both pets...not each. Some of the companies will offer wellness benefits at an additional cost but check the amounts...for me the additional premium cost double what the wellness reimbursements would have been.
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that part about % coverage and annual max is why we're doing this. We took the higher maxes on both but with a higher deductable to avoid a future $10,000 out of pocket decision (even if we end up paying $10,000 over the life of this to use it).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:48 pm Yeah, that part about % coverage and annual max is why we're doing this. We took the higher maxes on both but with a higher deductable to avoid a future $10,000 out of pocket decision (even if we end up paying $10,000 over the life of this to use it).
We just called that early Christmas (and in quieter tones thanked COVID for the OT my wife has booked this year).
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Debating about starting a separate thread called "Man's Worst Enemy" but since there have already been a few cat posts figured I would just mention this here...my wife and I welcomed two kittens into our house last week:

This is Leo (on the right) and Lily...they are Siberian cats. Leo is probably going to be huge...20lbs or so. For those of you on IG they have their own page at https://www.instagram.com/leo_and_lily_siberians/ if you're into following such things. I haven't had cats in over 25 years and my wife never has so we'll see how this goes after 21 years of dog ownership. FYI we are getting a couple of dogs as well once the cats get settled in and we can find the right rescue.

For you Letterkenny fans my wife shot down my preferred names of Shorsey and Katy Kat.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Beautiful cats, GK. Never seen cats with Husky coloring before.

And if you have owned dogs, cats are a million times easier. They take care of themselves, just need to empty the litter box and keep the food and water full, and if you don't they will surely let you know. Other than that, pet them on the occasions they let you. Play with them as kittens, and find toys hidden in your house years later.
Last edited by The Sybian on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pruitt