Dad Gifts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Dad Gifts

Post by mister d »

I do not enjoy gifts on either side but when you have kids, you have to get gifts. Name something good you've gotten recently, I need ideas.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Dad Gifts

Post by A_B »

SOME GOD DANG PEACE AND QUIET.

And some neat socks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a very cool wallet that was a Father's Day present many years ago. I mention it because I probably need to get a new one as this one is getting tattered.

I also have a nice pipeline of Mack Weldon socks and Tommy John underwear as "if you need to get nonlinear a gift, just go to those sites and you can't go wrong."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My kids bought me a golf pull cart. Fantastic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

For father's day y daughter gave me a Rick and Morty t-shirt

Good booze or beer is always welcome. Maybe your wife will give you something special that evening after the kids are sleeping.

eta: the t-shirt image looks something like this:

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If it were easier to do images in here, I'd circle "maybe your wife ..." and then draw an arrow to the one I assume is Morty's mouth.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am If it were easier to do images in here, I'd circle "maybe your wife ..." and then draw an arrow to the one I assume is Morty's mouth.
Ha ha. I'd also note that those special wife gifts become rarer and more precious after you've been married a really long time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am If it were easier to do images in here, I'd circle "maybe your wife ..." and then draw an arrow to the one I assume is Morty's mouth.
That's Rick.

For Father's Day and my birthday this year my wife took my daughter to buy me beer as gifts. The stories of my daughter's excitement, what she wanted to choose and why were absolutely hysterical. My wife steered her into some very surprisingly good choices, too.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Woke up to this gift at the kitchen table.....brilliant. I have kept a ball pump in my coaching bag because refs never seem to think my game balls are pumped up and basically every kids on my team comes with a ball that does not have enough air to stay round. Now I will find out that when I need it there will be no power in the device.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I got a gift card from Indigo (a Canadian online book seller), fabulous beer from the brewpub where my son used to work and he is now out in 90 degree heat cleaning the interior of my car (which is disgusting thanks to driving an active crazy dog around).

Tonight the family is making me eggplant parmigiana (a favourite) and my daughter is baking chocolate chip cookies.

Love it all!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Indigo is in the US now and they sell enough hockey stuff in the toy section I asked if they were Canadian.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Figured you for a Short Hills Mall guy
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(that was mean so I was kidding)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry I shop for gifts for my kids!

(All malls suck, but Short Hills sucks at a special level. Having a beer at Legal surrounded by “well dressed” people while waiting for an iPhone screen fix was a peak sad experience.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Back in Feb, so probably one of the last times we were out, my wife had the afternoon off and I guess had a dr appt in Motown or something so I met her there for lunch at the new sort of marketplace food hall thing near indigo. I think i just got a salad but she enjoyed her pizza and her drink.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I got a pooper scooper - rake and ... bin? combo.

I actually asked for this, so it's not a joke gift. Our backyard is, by far, the nicest it's ever been and we've been spending a ton of time back there. I try to clean up the doggy's dumps, but with a normal size shovel and a plastic bag... gross.

We had the family over for a mask- and physical distancing gathering today. I was very happy to clear the entire area so people could spread out and keep moving to stay in the shade.

I think that's up around Peak Dad, right?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fucking criminal lack of dog content on social media or the Swamp from some of you assholes.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hey, I've posted about her on Fb here and there.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm Fucking criminal lack of dog content on social media or the Swamp from some of you assholes.
Facebook update, per Rass' request.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Tobi, the chocolate labradoodle. Great GREAT dog.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm
rass wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm Fucking criminal lack of dog content on social media or the Swamp from some of you assholes.
Facebook update, per Rass' request.
She's had a long day (she's an empath and visitors tucker her plum out.)

I'll get a good vid of her playing fetch/soccer with her tennis ball tomorrow.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Strong work. And that car pic is great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Excellent call, Rass. You've been coming through on the Gus pics, and I saw TB's dog using the curtains as a blanket, which was super cute. The rest of you need to step up.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 pm Sorry I shop for gifts for my kids!

(All malls suck, but Short Hills sucks at a special level. Having a beer at Legal surrounded by “well dressed” people while waiting for an iPhone screen fix was a peak sad experience.)
I always think of the Short Hills Mall as being full of Carmela Sopranos in $200 sweat pants. When I'm stuck there, I spend most of the time in the Tesla store pretending that one day will own a Model S. I enjoy looking around Williams Sonoma, too. So many fun toys I would buy and never use.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Izzy was squirrel hunting in the park today.
Izzy Queen of Park.jpg
Izzy Queen of Park.jpg (142.34 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

My daughter decided she wanted to wash my care, or was it just an excuse to play with the hose
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Izzy for Swamp Mayor.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The kids got me one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-LSW-21 ... B074MHLC2C

It works ok, but it's a fun novelty. Kids love to use it. I think I've had a half a loaf of toast in the past 24 hours.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So as a non-father's day give getter, I can see clearly that your families have all chosen to split gifts between "excellent thoughtful items that will be cherished for years to come" and "excellent thoughtful items that will be used for a week, hidden in a closet, and for sale for 5$ at the next garage sale".
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My youngest gave me a drawing of me riding a camel.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

how many humps?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

One large one, atop which I sat. The camel is roughly 50x larger than me and I'm pretty sure its a repurposed dog.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:35 pm

I always think of the Short Hills Mall as being full of Carmela Sopranos in $200 sweat pants. When I'm stuck there, I spend most of the time in the Tesla store pretending that one day will own a Model S. I enjoy looking around Williams Sonoma, too. So many fun toys I would buy and never use.
I really want a model 3.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I really want a model 3.
Let me know when you're ready for my referral code haha
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 am
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I really want a model 3.
Let me know when you're ready for my referral code haha
How do you like it? What model do you have?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:52 am
I have the Dual Motor, Long Range Model 3 and I love it. So much fun to drive and the Autopilot is pretty amazing. Back when live sports were a thing, we'd take it to the Rapids games, about 40 miles away. It would go from on ramp to exit ramp without intervention (other than acknowledging lane changes and keeping a hand on the wheel so it know's you're paying attention) most of the time, including multiple freeway changes. It's not quite human like, so sometimes I'd intervene cancelling a lane change or something, but that's about it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:33 pm
I have the Dual Motor, Long Range Model 3 and I love it. So much fun to drive and the Autopilot is pretty amazing. Back when live sports were a thing, we'd take it to the Rapids games, about 40 miles away. It would go from on ramp to exit ramp without intervention (other than acknowledging lane changes and keeping a hand on the wheel so it know's you're paying attention) most of the time, including multiple freeway changes. It's not quite human like, so sometimes I'd intervene cancelling a lane change or something, but that's about it.
I'm torn between the base model and the long range. It won't be big enough to fit all 5 of us for very long trips, so I'm not sure the extra range/AWD is worth the extra $9k.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm
I'm torn between the base model and the long range. It won't be big enough to fit all 5 of us for very long trips, so I'm not sure the extra range/AWD is worth the extra $9k.
If you don't think you'll take longer trips, it's probably not with the extra cost. Have you test driven one yet?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am I have a very cool wallet that was a Father's Day present many years ago. I mention it because I probably need to get a new one as this one is getting tattered.
It looks like I never gave credit here. I got a wallet.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm
If you don't think you'll take longer trips, it's probably not with the extra cost. Have you test driven one yet?
Nope. No test drive yet. To be honest, I'm not sure it matters how it drives. Going electric only, plus all of the other cool shit it does, has me thinking it's the one.