2019 College Football Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

2019 College Football Thread

Post by A_B »

May or may not be official, I couldn't find anything on it, but anyway, fuck this dude.

I'd bet my $50 donation he isn't a donor to the fund.

(Story broke to me originally by Sabo)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: 2019 College Football Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

Fucking ridiculous.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, a good chance their scholarship includes a donation to the athletics department. I think that's pretty standard for most colleges. Sure, they may not be paying that out of pocket, but it's part of the "included" costs, I think.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

But sancarlos! The NCAA decided his mom was all better!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

And teams that traditionally generate lots of money for the NCAA needed better quarterbacks to help ensure they will generate more money for the NCAA.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had Texas A&M -33.5 in my weekly six-team parlay and they won by 34 so that's a nice little start to the season (also hit on Utah -6 vs BYU). Still need Tulsa, South Florida, Florida Atlantic and Toledo to come through for me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I had them +33.5, so F you!

Utah and Clemson 1H came through though.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Meant to post yesterday that my high school was playing on ESPNU last night. Beat the defending state champs 24-21.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm Meant to post yesterday that my high school was playing on ESPNU last night. Beat the defending state champs 24-21.
Saw a little of that. The Dids looked good.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm Meant to post yesterday that my high school was playing on ESPNU last night. Beat the defending state champs 24-21.
Why didn't you just tweet it?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Not ok.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm I had them +33.5, so F you!

Doug Kezerian of ESPN thinks this might be one of the better bets this season, in large part because the books caught up with Alabama first halves by the end of last year. He rode the Tide during their months-long stretch of covering in the first half last year before the books caught up. Thought behind it is those teams are so strong, the line on the game reflects how Saban and Swinney play backups and ease up. As such, the first half line shouldn't just be basically half of the full-game line.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:49 pm I had them +33.5, so F you!

Doug Kezerian of ESPN thinks this might be one of the better bets this season, in large part because the books caught up with Alabama first halves by the end of last year. He rode the Tide during their months-long stretch of covering in the first half last year before the books caught up. Thought behind it is those teams are so strong, the line on the game reflects how Saban and Swinney play backups and ease up. As such, the first half line shouldn't just be basically half of the full-game line.
Bud Elliott of Banner Society got me on that wager.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Dammit. It now appears that Colorado State will not go undefeated this season.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was in campus in Knoxville for a HS trip and have been in Neyland Stadium and have therefore had a soft spot for Tennessee for going on 30 years but LOL.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Georgia State was 2-10 last year, so...Rocky Top indeed.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Georgia State is going to be one of those programs no one wants to schedule. Pro stadium. Excellent recruiting map. Downtown Atlanta campus. Just has a ton going for it outside of history. And it's damn near a HBCU unlike Athens where no reasonable non football playing black man would set foot.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pretty good Saturday for the Mountain West conference. Won games against the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Pac 12. (Missouri, Purdue, Florida State and Arizona.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:55 am Georgia State is going to be one of those programs no one wants to schedule. Pro stadium. Excellent recruiting map. Downtown Atlanta campus. Just has a ton going for it outside of history. And it's damn near a HBCU unlike Athens where no reasonable non football playing black man would set foot.
It’s a bit of a stretch to call their stadium a “pro stadium” but I agree the right coach should be able to do really well there. The second-tier HS talent in Georgia alone should be able to get them to 8 or 9 wins a year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

WYO’s win was amazing. They could not cover or keep up with a single Mizzou WR, and could get no pressure at all on Bryant. But Mizzou checked out for a bit and the Pokes punished them with some surprising speed running the ball. As fun a game watching wyo I’ve had in a long time.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Guys, I think Oklahoma has figured out this whole NCAA offense thing. At this point, I’m half convinced one of us could play QB there for a season and have like 2000 yards and 20 passing TDS.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:14 am Dammit. It now appears that Colorado State will not go undefeated this season.
Last one in Denver! Crazy that there's gonna be a break in the rivalry.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

UK Mac champs 2019.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI enters the bye week with a LOT of questions to answer. They've now fumbled at least twice as many times as they fumbled all last year, possibly as much as the last 2 years (too lazy to check the latter stat.)

That said, ask Oklahoma about getting taken to OT by Army. That team is fucking BRUTAL, because they figured out 4x3.3>10yds. They have the highest 4th down completion rate in the country and it's not really close. Fucking torture to play against, and the one thing you can't do is give up possessions.

M's offense is shaky, but I think 2 weeks of practice will help get them in a bit more of a groove. Tough game in Madison, which will paint a picture of where this team truly is right now.

ETA - One thing that was REALLY weird is that Patterson and McCaffery (limited reps, but point stands) NEVER kept the ball on the RPO. Like, I don't think one time. The RPO doesn't really work if the QB doesn't pull it and rip off 3 or 4 yards (or hopefully a chunk here and there).

There's a lot of speculation that this was due to either a) a Patterson oblique injury suffered last week or b) some kind of Jedi, "don't show them the true spectacularlousness of the Gattis playbook until you get to Wisconsin" type thing. If it's the former, you should've been putting in McCaffery earlier and more often. RPO the fuck out of Army and make them make true decisions out there. If it's the latter... Fucking hell. They came a freshman kicker hitting a relatively make-able 50 yarder from one of the biggest upsets in Big House history.

When they ran RPO on 4th down at the end of the game, right into a wall of Army defenders waiting on the RB... What the actual fuck are we doing at that point?

Very weird.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Are the Terps real or just have not played anybody good? Locksley is obviously a good coach but not sure they are a top 25 team.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am Are the Terps real or just have not played anybody good? Locksley is obviously a good coach but not sure they are a top 25 team.
Question for the ages. Remember last year, they beat Texas in a shocking result. Over the last 4 or 5 years, they tend to do something like this early, then they hit the B1G grind and the wheels fall off. It would be great for the league if MD became competitive. I think everyone has written Rutger off, but there seems to be genuine potential in College Park. I've written about it in the past, the tools are there, especially now the new facilities are coming online.

Playing a better than mediocre, but not that awesome Temple team is actually the PERFECT litmus test for this squad. Temple got a bowl game in last year (smoked by Duke, looking at their results right now). Not a bad team. But this Temple team EMBARRASSED the Terps last year.

MD's biggest issue is consistency. A lot of that has come down to the QB position, but just in general... They beat Texas and then smoke Bowling Green, follow that up with a stinker against Temple, then turnaround and beat the tar out of the Gophers, then get their asses handed to them by MI... and on and on.

Temple is a bigger game for the progam's psyche than I think a lot of fans realize.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am Are the Terps real or just have not played anybody good? Locksley is obviously a good coach but not sure they are a top 25 team.
I think Syracuse came in flat and, when they got behind quickly (it was 14-0 less than six minutes in), they started to press the issue to play catch up, particularly their redshirt sophomore QB (four-star recruit who saw a decent amount of playing time last year with mixed results who is starting for the first time). Game was effectively over six minutes into the second quarter when the Terps went up 28-7 and they started playing more against the clock than their opponents by midway through the third. I would say that the way they handled Syracuse's defensive line is a good sign since there are questions about Maryland's offensive line. SU might have the best DE pair in the ACC. Maryland's skill position speed was really good and Jackson was very comfortable running their offense.

I couldn't say with any certainty how good Maryland's defense is, in large part because of Syracuse shuffling their offensive line. They cross-trained positions in camp, set a starting lineup right before the season, then had their center get hurt in the opener, leading to their LT going to C, their RT (a redshirt freshman) going to LT, and a new RT being inserted for the Maryland game.

Side comment: Obviously, Syracuse has had the Clemson game circled since the schedule came out in January (beat them at home two years ago, lost a ten-point fourth quarter lead on the road last year), but how could Maryland be a trap game when you've been hearing that it's a trap game since spring practice ended?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I just don't really buy the trap game excuse in most instances. I mean, MI fans trot it out all the time when we inevitably struggle against Indiana right before OSU (there are other instances during B1G season that it gets trotted out, too.)

You are playing a B1G team, on the road. You better come ready to play. This is a team that, as I said above, stung the (at the time) #9 team in the nation around this time last year.

I'm not a Terps (football) guy, and I've given them a lot of shit for being so wonky... But wonky teams are extremely dangerous, because they have really high ceilings and can zap anyone on a given day.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

They lowdown, they dirty, they some snitches, but this is pretty damn cool.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

No one tell Jeremy Pruitt how titanic ended, please.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:56 pm They lowdown, they dirty, they some snitches, but this is pretty damn cool.
Sometimes the Internet is awesome.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Wake Forest plays North Carolina tonight. Both are members of the ACC. But, the game does not count as a league game in league standings. Huh?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

What a shitty targeting call against Kentucky.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Chance Poore. Not a good name for a kicker.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I said it's GREAT to be...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I watched a lot of their game today against Temple. I think Maryland has a good defense, but their offense looked really bad. Special teams kept giving them great field position, but the offense could do nothing with it.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:21 pm I said it's GREAT to be...
a Flooooorida Gator!

Man, feel so bad for Franks. I was starting to wonder if Mullen would put someone else in for a series or two, just for a change of pace since we were so stagnant. But hate that it took an injury like that.

Complete side note. We're flying in Florida in a couple weeks for trip to visit family/go to Disney. We land at about 11:30am on the 5th, the day of the Auburn game. They haven't set a game time yet, but we're seriously considering driving up from TPA to GNV for the game.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I remember when Florida fans wouldn't be excited about beating kentucky!
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Me too!