The Lottery Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

The Lottery Thread

Post by brian »

Powerball is up to $475M now. That's a lotta dough.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Re: The Lottery Thread

Post by Sabo »

We won $7 on the drawing last night.

The Ohio Lottery has a game show called Cash Explosion, and to get into the drawing to appear on the show, you have to win the "Entry" prize on a scratch-off ticket. Well, this guy won that entry prize. I'll find out on June 8 if I'm going to be a contestant. Fingers crossed!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Im feeling the need to join a large pool but im too lazy to organize.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote:Im feeling the need to join a large pool but im too lazy to organize.
I was thinking the same thing, but I can't purchase tickets as the lottery is illegal in Nevada (irony?)
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I found that out the last time I was in Vegas, when the jackpot was the largest ever. I LOLed at the irony.

Was with a group of co-workers, and figured we could just drive over the border to buy tickets. Dude at the hotel told me that it wasn't an original thought, and the lines would be hours long.

Also was up in Tahoe in early February, the gent behind the desk advised me to "leave my weed in California, and leave my hookers in Nevada." And not to mix the two.

Nevada is funny.
mini puke to 1,558
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, 3 to 4 hour waits to buy lottery tickets at the CA border when the jackpot is this high are not uncommon. When I lived in MI I'd buy $5 worth of tickets for a mega-jackpot, but I'm not waiting in line for 3 hours in 100-degree heat to piss my money away.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

It's up to 550 mil now. Well be buying our office tix tomorrow, and I'm probably grabbing a few solo as well.

Swamp lawyers...in the highly unlikely event I win on either ticket, what are my chances of keeping it from the shedevil?
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

ZMan wrote:It's up to 550 mil now. Well be buying our office tix tomorrow, and I'm probably grabbing a few solo as well.

Swamp lawyers...in the highly unlikely event I win on either ticket, what are my chances of keeping it from the shedevil?
I'm not a lawyer, but I would presume they would be slim. A better question would be if you would be off the hook if you held on to the ticket and redeemed it AFTER the divorce was final if she could come back after you for any of the money.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I was sorta thinking the same, but that will only work on my solo tix. Doubt I could get the rest of the office to wait along with me. Doubtful I'd ever even see any of them again.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

When is the drawing? Saturday?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

ZMan wrote:It's up to 550 mil now. Well be buying our office tix tomorrow, and I'm probably grabbing a few solo as well.

Under Florida law, if you've filed for divorce, it's yours. Not sure about NY.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, next drawing is Saturday. I'll actually be in Reno this weekend so if the lines aren't ridiculous (I assume they will be though) I might head over to Truckee to pick some up.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

I'll pay the stupid tax when it gets this high...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

devilfluff wrote:I'll pay the stupid tax when it gets this high...
If you consider game theory, it's only stupid to play PowerBall when the pot is less than $176 million. The odds of winning the PowerBall jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510. It's the same thing as considering pot odds when playing poker.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It would probably have to be about double that due to taxes, but I get your point.

I'll pay the stupid tax even if it's $150 mil. Whatever. I can handle decreasing my net worth by a few bucks.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Sabo wrote:
If you consider game theory, it's only stupid to play PowerBall when the pot is less than $176 million. The odds of winning the PowerBall jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510. It's the same thing as considering pot odds when playing poker.
Except that in poker, it's very unlikely that you're going to split the pot.

Unless I don't understand the mechanics of how they determine the jackpot, your odds probably don't ever change at all. It's just that people forget to consider that there are likely to be multiple winners.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
Sabo wrote:
Except that in poker, it's very unlikely that you're going to split the pot.

Unless I don't understand the mechanics of how they determine the jackpot, your odds probably don't ever change at all. It's just that people forget to consider that there are likely to be multiple winners.
It's only likely there's going to be multiple winners when it gets to more than $350-400M or higher and even then the odds of multiple winners aren't as high as you'd probably think (I had seen this last time, I'm going to try to look it up).

But your overall point is valid -- it's a consideration you have to make if you're going to apply a pot odds calculation on a lottery drawing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To put this chart into context, I think I saw that there will be roughly 200M tickets in play for Saturday's drawing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think the big ones are the worst to win, because everyone knows you won. I want to win when it is the maximum amount just under the threshold where they announce winners. Keep your life the same for a couple weeks until you can slowly stop coming to work and quit. Slowly change shit at home so as not to tip off the neighbors. I don't think I'd change my lifestyle all that much. Pay off the house, quit my job and find a job I love but can't afford to take. Maybe open up a nice animal shelter or work for some political cause I believe in or something like that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:I think the big ones are the worst to win, because everyone knows you won. I want to win when it is the maximum amount just under the threshold where they announce winners. Keep your life the same for a couple weeks until you can slowly stop coming to work and quit. Slowly change shit at home so as not to tip off the neighbors. I don't think I'd change my lifestyle all that much. Pay off the house, quit my job and find a job I love but can't afford to take. Maybe open up a nice animal shelter or work for some political cause I believe in or something like that.
Depending on the state you live in, it may be a matter of public record no matter how much money you won. I don't think there's a threshold to meet in other words. That said, there's very little media interest if you win say....$40M or so, so it's a lot easier to fly under the radar.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sabo wrote:
I don't buy that. That reasoning only works if you assume a dollar has the same marginal value no matter your wealth.

Losing a dollar, or five, in a lottery has no real cost, because it wouldn't affect my life at all.

But winning a lottery would affect my life. A lot.

So it'd be worth the money. If I lived in a state where it's an option.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

The "solution" we came up with at work, is that I didn't go in on the tickets. Moms went in for 2 shares.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ovi 8 hoping to win.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... all-fever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

I'm in a pool at work because I believe it is foolish to say no to breath mints and lottery pools.

I work for a medium sized suburban police department. The pool includes about 3/4 of the staff. This city is so screwed if we win...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote:Image

To put this chart into context, I think I saw that there will be roughly 200M tickets in play for Saturday's drawing.
Pretty sure this chart changed on the fly between this morning and right now.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

OK bitches...annuity or cash option?

I see the advantage for both. The tax savings alone in the annuity on that large of a payout might be worth it (immediate plus capital gains). Yes, it is giving the state interest free loans.

But I also may think I could invest it better to make it grow more than than the tax savings would help. Yes, you insure yourself against the state somehow being unable to make that payment for whatever reason in the future.

I think in the end I might take the annuity. 34 million a year for 30 years isn't a bad way to go and I think would help insulate against market conditions. Maybe I'm just too risk averse.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there anyway the states / org that runs powerball can go bankrupt and you'd lose any unpaid winnings? Either way, I'd take it all upfront.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Is there anyway the states / org that runs powerball can go bankrupt and you'd lose any unpaid winnings? Either way, I'd take it all upfront.
I've always wondered this myself. Even a state declaring bankruptcy wouldn't affect the annuity payments but I've always wondered what could (in theory, nothing since the money is supposed to be invested in some kind of conservative investment portfolio which is why you only get an extra 40 percent more than the lump sum even after 26 years.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:OK bitches...annuity or cash option?

I see the advantage for both. The tax savings alone in the annuity on that large of a payout might be worth it (immediate plus capital gains). Yes, it is giving the state interest free loans.

But I also may think I could invest it better to make it grow more than than the tax savings would help. Yes, you insure yourself against the state somehow being unable to make that payment for whatever reason in the future.

I think in the end I might take the annuity. 34 million a year for 30 years isn't a bad way to go and I think would help insulate against market conditions. Maybe I'm just too risk averse.
The biggest argument for the lump sum would be future tax obligations. I think regardless of which party wins the presidency you can expect taxes on someone who has half a billion to go up in the future. If not in the next couple of years, almost certainly in 5-10 years and beyond. There's not really a way (regardless of what Trump, Cruz, Rubio et al seem to think) to balance the federal budget AND lower taxes on the super rich.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lump sum doesn't even put you in the top 400 wealthiest americans! Who knew!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Cash.

Counterparty risk. No guarantee these tinhorn governments (or the financial institution they pay for the annuity) will be around in the future.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:Lump sum doesn't even put you in the top 400 wealthiest americans! Who knew!
Well then screw it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

howard wrote:Cash.

Counterparty risk. No guarantee these tinhorn governments (or the financial institution they pay for the annuity) will be around in the future.
Annuity, because even with 34 million per year if everything folds in 5 years you're still going to have generational money.

Not against your thought, my main argument here is what is the everyday person going to do with 1200MM that they can't accomplish with 100MM, other than sit on it for distribution to estate?

I'm really not sure the common person can fathom this amount of money. I'd almost rather win the lottery at a 90MM jackpot than this. I feel like this kind of win is certain to ruin your life.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I dunno. I think people aren't gonna be allowed on my private island, bitches!

(But we will all go to Vietnam..think how awesome to have a bunch of white dudes on Degen's side!)
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Take the cash. I am with those that would rather invest the cash themselves.

When I win the Powerball, we are paying off the house and car. Keep working for the next year or two. Invest the majority of the money. Pay off our siblings houses. Then after two or three years, quit working and start becoming more involved in causes truer to our hearts. Probably would involve education, assisting the elderly, and improving impoverished areas in the community.

Or we just blow it all on hookers and cocaine!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If I won something like $3-5M I'd keep working for about three or four years, not touch the principal at all for about 7 or 8 years, but if I win anywhere near a billion I'm tell work to fuck off and never seeing any of those people again. I'd be in the wind.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

There used to be a show about people who ruined their lives after winning the lottery. We loved that show, especially seeing what Southern fried hicks blew $100 million dollars on, then somehow losing it all. I agree with preferring to win a smaller drawing. When you win a monster drawing, your name is plastered in the news and the world beats down your door. Win $20 million, no press, no hassles. I'd be happy with just enough to pay off the mortgage, let the wife wife risk the investment and ramp up time to start a business or two. Take a sweet vacation for a month, and stock a sick bar. Other than that, I'm good. I don't even feel the need to quit my job. If I won $100 million, I'd devote my work to some cause or another. And buy a Tesla Model S.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote:
Or we just blow it all on hookers and cocaine!
I thought you said "blow it all"....
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think it's likely most of us here would do fine with either option. But yeah, those people who buy $20 million homes free and clear but then end up unable to pay the utilities and taxes never cease to amaze me.

My plan would be to pay off pretty much everything of my close family, find some good causes to donate to and buy a reasonable vacation home (reasonable still being very fucking well appointed, mind you) where we could have several people visit at a time.

And I'll have a Hellcat Challenger, thanks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Mark Cuban says take the annuity.