NFL 2019 week 1 - the fuck AB?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: NFL 2019 week 1 - the fuck AB?

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 pm
brian wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:09 pm Tomlin kicking a FG from the 1 down 20 is one of the pussiest things I’ve ever seen. And I’m largely a Tomlin fan.
That was indefensible. I was trying to figure out the math and couldn’t. BecUse it isn’t defensible.
It seemed like they were trying to prevent a shutout, which is just so stupid and Grudenesque.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm The Cardinals punting with 1 minute left in OF from the Lion side of the field was the cherry on that fucking turd sundae. Kingsbury is so bad.
Was it really that bad of a decision? I remember the Titans getting roasted last year for going for that.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:30 pm If I took a shot over the middle like what Josh Gordon took, I'd be dead.
If the Steelers had a safety that actually tried to intercept those balls instead of going for knockout blows, they might be a bit more competitive.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 pm Brady keeps throwing the occasional wobbler. Nothing serious, but seems kinda weird.
It was quite strange to see. Probably doesn't mean anything but I was surprised to see it so often.
Maybe someone changed to code to the supply closet? #deflategate #thedeflator #suspensions
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The true test of Brady over Manning will be whether he can let his defense carry him to a title while being the worst starting QB in the league.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 am
brian wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm The Cardinals punting with 1 minute left in OF from the Lion side of the field was the cherry on that fucking turd sundae. Kingsbury is so bad.
Was it really that bad of a decision? I remember the Titans getting roasted last year for going for that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think it was the Colts last year and don’t remember them getting too much roasting other than Degen being very upset they didn’t play for the tie. I think punting is clearly a pretty bad decision if you have playoff ambitions but the Cardinals are not in that boat and maybe thought a non-loss would help Murray’s development and/or fan optimism. I’m on board with Kingsbury being a bad coach though. If he looked like Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy, and not like a Hollywood actor, there’s zero chance he gets a pro head coaching job off of his shitty performance at Texas Tech. But he has a “cool coach” reputation that far exceeds his actual results.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 am
Does that factor in the difference between a tie and a loss in the standings, or is strictly saying "this took their winning percentage down to 0 and therefore it sucks"?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even if it is the latter, for the team with the worst record in the league last year it seems pretty soft to just settle for a tie, especially against the Lions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 amIf he looked like Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy, and not like a Hollywood actor, there’s zero chance he gets a pro head coaching job off of his shitty performance at Texas Tech. But he has a “cool coach” reputation that far exceeds his actual results.
I feel like I usually have a pretty solid gauge and I don't get the "super hot Kliff" narrative. He's obviously not a bad looking dude, but I don't think he's the type whose looks could carry him either.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 am
Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 amIf he looked like Andy Reid or Mike McCarthy, and not like a Hollywood actor, there’s zero chance he gets a pro head coaching job off of his shitty performance at Texas Tech. But he has a “cool coach” reputation that far exceeds his actual results.
I feel like I usually have a pretty solid gauge and I don't get the "super hot Kliff" narrative. He's obviously not a bad looking dude, but I don't think he's the type whose looks could carry him either.
Yeah, he looks like the the type of guy who would be cast as the douchebag head of a fraternity or the boyfriend of the female lead at the start of the movie who she dumps.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:39 am
Yeah, he looks like the the type of guy who would be cast as the douchebag head of a fraternity or the boyfriend of the female lead at the start of the movie who she dumps.
Or the guy from head office who's arrived to tell everyone that their store is going to be closed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TIL the Raiders officially become the "Las Vegas Raiders" on March 18, 2020. I don't know the significance of that date though (first day of the new NFL calendar?)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:39 am
Or the guy from head office who's arrived to tell everyone that their store is going to be closed.
Or Ryan Gosling.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Dungy can be very sanctimonious but he’s surely not alone in that sentiment. Ownership and team management in all major pro sports surely fears the growing trend of star players steering their ways to desired teams, even when still under contract (see: Anthony Davis). I’d bet a lot of NFL teams would be happy to see Brown get suspended to deter other players from trying something similar.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Diva egomaniac wideout antics are far from unheard of and NFL teams hire felons on a regular basis so not sure this was the signing for him to call out. That said, still a very questionable signing. What good is he if you cant count on him. The guy wont see that much of the ball regardless of his skills just because of mouths to feed. Im sure that will go over well.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 am Diva egomaniac wideout antics are far from unheard of and NFL teams hire felons on a regular basis so not sure this was the signing for him to call out. That said, still a very questionable signing. What good is he if you cant count on him. The guy wont see that much of the ball regardless of his skills just because of mouths to feed. Im sure that will go over well.
If word got to him from the Patriots that they'd sign him if he got out of his contract, then the league is a fraud.

The point Dungy's making is that players are dictating their way out of contracts, which were really supposed to be favorable only to the teams.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, btw. AB wasn't even the biggest Patriots acquisition this season.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 am
Dungy can be very sanctimonious but he’s surely not alone in that sentiment. Ownership and team management in all major pro sports surely fears the growing trend of star players steering their ways to desired teams, even when still under contract (see: Anthony Davis). I’d bet a lot of NFL teams would be happy to see Brown get suspended to deter other players from trying something similar.
True. But he doesn't seem to frame the argument that way at all.

He's disappointed Robert Kraft let the children down. If the logic follows, in his opinion, Antonio Brown should be out of the league for good and never get to play again.

Murderers, attempted murderers, women abusers, child abusers... All good to Tony Dungy. But gay people and whichever malcontent the Patriots sign? A bridge too far.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm
Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:35 am
True. But he doesn't seem to frame the argument that way at all.

He's disappointed Robert Kraft let the children down. If the logic follows, in his opinion, Antonio Brown should be out of the league for good and never get to play again.

Murderers, attempted murderers, women abusers, child abusers... All good to Tony Dungy. But gay people and whichever malcontent the Patriots sign? A bridge too far.
Assuming that Dungy would only have been critical because it's the Pats is very on brand, Johnnie!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A whole lotta country clubs keep collies on hand to chase geese from their courses.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 pm Oh, btw. AB wasn't even the biggest Patriots acquisition this season.

Dog's a dirty cheater.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:04 pm Oh, btw. AB wasn't even the biggest Patriots acquisition this season.

Dog's a dirty cheater.
Hey guys they call him "The Carpet Pisser" because his previous owner ran the drug screening for the Rug Doctor company it's not what you think
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Patriots fan sees dogs back] "Booo!"
[dog turns around] "Wait, yaaay!"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:31 pm
On the bright side, the Bills defense rules!
I'll assume that was sarcasm... Went to the game, and when my wife wanted to leave with 10 minutes left and the Jets up by 6, I was fine with it, as everyone knew the Jets would blow it. Amazing how the energy just sucked out of the stadium. Brutal sitting there watching 2 offenses suck so bad. Once Mosley left, the Jets defense just completely fell apart. Never seen anything so drastic.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 am
I like that stat but it's completely make-believe and doesn't answer the question. Are the odds of converting and winning greater than those of failing and losing?

I don't think it's all THAT different from this decision last year that was almost universally panned by analytic types:

https://www.businessinsider.com/colts-l ... ion-2018-9
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 am Diva egomaniac wideout antics are far from unheard of and NFL teams hire felons on a regular basis so not sure this was the signing for him to call out. That said, still a very questionable signing. What good is he if you cant count on him. The guy wont see that much of the ball regardless of his skills just because of mouths to feed. Im sure that will go over well.

If Antonio Brown is actually playing and near 100%, he's going to be the wide open mouth that catches everything you throw at it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm

If Antonio Brown is actually playing and near 100%, he's going to be the wide open mouth that catches everything you throw at it.
Speaking of 100%, he sure was running funny in his release reaction video, but that may have just been the slides he had on.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Speaking of 100%, he sure was running funny in his release reaction video, but that may have just been the slides he had on.

Well, Justin Gatlin did say that the cryo foot injury sidelined him for like half a year when he had it. Then again, I think Brown has always walked a bit strange like that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:31 pm
On the bright side, the Bills defense rules!
I'll assume that was sarcasm... Went to the game, and when my wife wanted to leave with 10 minutes left and the Jets up by 6, I was fine with it, as everyone knew the Jets would blow it. Amazing how the energy just sucked out of the stadium. Brutal sitting there watching 2 offenses suck so bad. Once Mosley left, the Jets defense just completely fell apart. Never seen anything so drastic.
Not sarcasm - the Defence looked great.

But remember, when discussing the Bills, all praise is relative.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DeAndre Hopkins suplex memes incoming...

ETA

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

10pm NFL kick giving me energy to keep working
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Damn Watson. Ice cold. Oh goodness. You suck. Bailed out. Gonna riot in the dome.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What a throw and catch! Holy shit. And the Hopkins catch prior to. So nice.

And then the refs fuck the Saints again!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Was nice. Houston can ride that as long as they stay healthy.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Good game. Welcome back football.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And the last second field goal. What a fucking game.

Also, if the Texans defender doesn't touch Ginn there the game ends, right?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 pm And the last second field goal. What a fucking game.

Also, if the Texans defender doesn't touch Ginn there the game ends, right?
I think a player can give themself up.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:25 pm Good game. Welcome back football.
May not be a better game all year.