Daniel Johnston

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Daniel Johnston

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Re: Daniel Johnston

Post by Giff »

A theater here in Houston has produced a couple plays called Speeding Motorcycle about his life, most recently earlier this summer.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I never got him. At all.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My first ever exposure to him was waiting in line for food at ACL and he was playing the closest stage. Came out and did a Nazi salute while yelling "Heil Hitler". I guess it was art of some sort, but as someone who knew who he was but had never listened to his music, it was kind of a turnoff.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The guy has schizophrenia and manic depression and still managed to record some absolutely incredible music. There's a degree of difficulty there that arguably no musician in history has ever matched, certainly no modern musician. I think he gets graded on that scale, but still...
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I was going to mention his mental issues. I first heard of him when Wilco covered True love will find you in the end, back in the 90s.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its funny to put the quotes like this:
sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm Yeah, I was going to mention his mental issues. I first heard of him when Wilco covered "True love will find you in the end, back in the 90s".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:22 am A theater here in Houston has produced a couple plays called Speeding Motorcycle about his life, most recently earlier this summer.
So I'm friends with the guy who runs this theater and he was really close to Johnston. He posted yesterday about RSVPing for his memorial service and funeral, and come to find out the memorial service is at the church I grew up attending. Weird.