Tokyo Olympics 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by Pruitt »

Hey, guess which country is in trouble with W.A.D.A. and may "face Tokyo Olympics ban?"
[+] spoiler
You Guessed Right!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2020

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I did a search before launching the thread!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm
I did a search before launching the thread!
Frigging space bar.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

After watching Icarus on Netflix a few years back, I have a tough time taking any of this stuff seriously.

Many moons ago, SNL had a skit where it was basically take any drug you want Olympics. Dude doing a deadlift tore his arms off... ha ha.

At this point, at least in certain countries, that's where we're at.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:00 pm After watching Icarus on Netflix a few years back, I have a tough time taking any of this stuff seriously.

Many moons ago, SNL had a skit where it was basically take any drug you want Olympics. Dude doing a deadlift tore his arms off... ha ha.

Russia is probably somewhat unique in terms of the level of state involvement in doping but it’s likely an issue with pretty much every international sports power and major sport. The US had Balco and Lance Armstrong; Spain had Dr. Fuentes; Britain all its issues with Team Sky; the list goes on and on. The extent to which athletes get away with “legal” doping through unneeded prescriptions and Therapeutic Use Exemptions is also pretty remarkable.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe K wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:25 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:00 pm After watching Icarus on Netflix a few years back, I have a tough time taking any of this stuff seriously.

Russia is probably somewhat unique in terms of the level of state involvement in doping but it’s likely an issue with pretty much every international sports power and major sport. The US had Balco and Lance Armstrong; Spain had Dr. Fuentes; Britain all its issues with Team Sky; the list goes on and on. The extent to which athletes get away with “legal” doping through unneeded prescriptions and Therapeutic Use Exemptions is also pretty remarkable.

It's not even close, though. And, importantly, a lot of what you're pointing our are TEAMS that promoted doping, not countries, wholesale.

The scale of the doping practices in Russia and probably China are off the charts compared to other nations. There's no equivalency.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:43 pm
Joe K wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:25 pm

It's not even close, though. And, importantly, a lot of what you're pointing our are TEAMS that promoted doping, not countries, wholesale.

The scale of the doping practices in Russia and probably China are off the charts compared to other nations. There's no equivalency.
Back to the days of East Germany as an Olympic powerhouse.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

This is pretty huge news in the track world. Salazar not only coached many of the top American distance runners through Nike’s Oregon Project, he also coached Mo Farah during the period when Farah won four Olympic gold medals for Britain.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Trump probably not tweeting about this...actually most people won't tweet about it.
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... ball-berth
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:33 pm

This is pretty huge news in the track world. Salazar not only coached many of the top American distance runners through Nike’s Oregon Project, he also coached Mo Farah during the period when Farah won four Olympic gold medals for Britain.
Track is so f-ing filthy, I don't know how anyone can watch it.

(I know, I know... as an NFL fan I shouldn't say anything, but how is this a surprise?)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The running world, at least the corner of it that I follow, is doing what society writ large should be doing, i.e. letting the women take the forefront. I follow probably 15-20 running affiliated Instagrammers, and I'd say at least 85% of them are women. That's completely of my own doing, but former elite runners, turned running coaches like Lauren Fleshman, Kara Goucher, and just now Shalane Flanagan, are where it's at. These women were, and still are, amazing runners, and so good at pushing for major structural changes in the sport.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Cool article on ultra guy going for Olympic Marathon. He crossed the line where he qualified for the 2020 qualifier with the son of my coworker.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/maga ... mpics.html
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

And we thought gymnastics was getting young.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/spor ... index.html
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Guess they’ll be in Florida
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 pm Guess they’ll be in Florida
I would give anything to see the Olympics in Jacksonville. Not in person mind you, but on TV hell yeah
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
SportsDoc
Brandt

Post by SportsDoc »

So, if Japan cancels, are there other options?

IE:
Move location but have Olympics in 2021 elsewhere.
Keep in Japan but move again to 2022.
Cancel completely and prepare for 2024.

It seems from reports it's cancel, but that seems so wrong for the athletes, who's window for competition is very short. Have somewhere else in 2021 seems unlikely. Who could get venues up and running that quickly. Move to 2022 seems a nice compromise, yet Japan already looking at 2032.
"All men can stand adversity. If you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

SportsDoc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:46 am So, if Japan cancels, are there other options?

IE:
Move location but have Olympics in 2021 elsewhere.
Keep in Japan but move again to 2022.
Cancel completely and prepare for 2024.

It seems from reports it's cancel, but that seems so wrong for the athletes, who's window for competition is very short. Have somewhere else in 2021 seems unlikely. Who could get venues up and running that quickly. Move to 2022 seems a nice compromise, yet Japan already looking at 2032.
I’d say do 2022. They did Winter Games two years apart in 1992-94. They can do Summer Games in 2022-24.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hell, just move them to 2026 at this point. I’m really not confident 2022 Winter or Summer will be doable. Of course, my view is clouded is because I’m in America, and not in a country that took or takes COVID seriously.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Anyway ...

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

there also seems to be a good opportunity here to have a worldwide games if necessary. having the different sports stationed across the globe could help with infrastructure concerns and prevent so many people from gathering in one place. it's already to the point that fan travel is pretty much not happening
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am there also seems to be a good opportunity here to have a worldwide games if necessary. having the different sports stationed across the globe could help with infrastructure concerns and prevent so many people from gathering in one place. it's already to the point that fan travel is pretty much not happening
That's a really good idea. It doesn't really even affect NBC because it's not like they move cameras from one venue to another between events. Although I suppose they may do that for certain events that finish before other start.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:02 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am there also seems to be a good opportunity here to have a worldwide games if necessary. having the different sports stationed across the globe could help with infrastructure concerns and prevent so many people from gathering in one place. it's already to the point that fan travel is pretty much not happening
That's a really good idea. It doesn't really even affect NBC because it's not like they move cameras from one venue to another between events. Although I suppose they may do that for certain events that finish before other start.
I'd think that NBC and Sky (or whomever has the rights in England and other bigger European countries) could easily do a technology share to make sure everything is adequately covered with cameras? seems like it could be done. also, more locations = more opportunities to spread out. the olympic village needs to peace out for this cycle. RIP condom usage stories.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am
I'd think that NBC and Sky (or whomever has the rights in England and other bigger European countries) could easily do a technology share to make sure everything is adequately covered with cameras? seems like it could be done. also, more locations = more opportunities to spread out. the olympic village needs to peace out for this cycle. RIP condom usage stories.
Yeah, the easiest route, technologically speaking, would be a division of labor where Network A covers one location in its entirety, Network B another, and so on. However, when you get into which stories each network wants to tell and how to cover them, it gets a lot more complicated. The way NBC focuses their storytelling on American athletes (and understandably so) would put extra stresses on the resources, budgets, personnel, etc. of the partner networks.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that's a great point -- but I also wonder how much of that has been/will be affected by COVID. Zoom was going to be a major factor in the features they do already. Is having to adapt further a bigger deal than the efficiency of having games vs. not having games at all if it came to that?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:19 pm that's a great point -- but I also wonder how much of that has been/will be affected by COVID. Zoom was going to be a major factor in the features they do already. Is having to adapt further a bigger deal than the efficiency of having games vs. not having games at all if it came to that?
The Olympics is a massive money-maker for NBC because they advertise their own upcoming products so heavily, they would happily accept any version of the games they would get. The games itself is a loss-leader, something the network loses money on to get you to watch their other programming.

I'm probably overstating the difficulties to work around in some capacity. I think NBC would be able to do the majority of their profile packages in advance with personnel who don't have to travel to site. Zoom would certainly assist that, especially interviews as the games are underway for more current quotes and footage, and the advance expectations of who will seriously contend for medals dictates that coverage and eases that further, especially because they could do in-person interviews, shoot B-roll, and whatever else they need before those athletes travel.

However, any time someone "comes out of nowhere" to contend in an event and becomes an instant story that requires a profile, it gets tougher. Even a Zoom is made a little harder due to time zone differences in these cases.

I also think event coverage is different, maybe even strained in some cases. When you watch NBC, they obviously focus on American competitors. Would an agreement with a network from another nation include how events are covered, particularly the focus on which athletes are promoted/followed? It's probably not a big deal because of how the events themselves are shot (they use an isolated camera on every runner in the 100 meters for replay purposes, for example), but your live coverage can get a little off because the different audiences/athletes in the event.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 pm
However, any time someone "comes out of nowhere" to contend in an event and becomes an instant story that requires a profile, it gets tougher. Even a Zoom is made a little harder due to time zone differences in these cases.
AKA the 'Rulon Gardner' effect...

ETA: And writing that name made me remember this awesome story from Joe Posnanski about being at the Rulon Gardner match and having to write about it...read this...its so good: I Really Didn't Need That Stew
And then it really was time to write. It was impossible. We had too much stuff. We had too much GREAT stuff. This guy was like a character out of Yankee Doodle Dandy. It couldn’t be real. Chuck and I were laughing and trying to write and laughing more … never had a story like it in our lives. People often ask me how I handle writer’s block — well knock on wood, thank my lucky stars, I’ve never had it. My thought about writer’s block is basically that my Dad worked in a factory almost his whole life, and he never had “factory block.” Sometimes the words don’t come as easily as others, but you do what you have to do.

But this wasn’t writer’s block. This was a writer’s overdose. I had no idea how to sum up a Wyoming farm boy who wrestled cows in a small town where a disc jockey reads the morning birthdays near Wilford Brimley’s fishing pond and grew up to defeat the indestructible Russian in perhaps the greatest Olympic upset going back to the days when Greeks ran naked through the …
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 pm Guess they’ll be in Florida
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Each air pistol team could get their own Bass Pro Shops and/or neighborhood street
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't even imagine how many stand your ground cases a Florida Summer Olympics would create.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Trolld Medal
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Limp Bizkit and Creed could perform at the opening ceremonies.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:34 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am
Yeah, the easiest route, technologically speaking, would be a division of labor where Network A covers one location in its entirety, Network B another, and so on. However, when you get into which stories each network wants to tell and how to cover them, it gets a lot more complicated. The way NBC focuses their storytelling on American athletes (and understandably so) would put extra stresses on the resources, budgets, personnel, etc. of the partner networks.
Bit late to this party but
* isn't having a world wide Olympics just calling the World Championships that year the Olympics or another event in the regular schedule for these sports.
* TV is easy. Most international sports leverage a world feed model anyway. Anyone who has watched world cup or other FIFA events in the US knows it because the commentators get a replay that does not match what they are talking about. But all of the runs, events, etc are fully covered. And since olympic coverage is replayed/timed from prime time editing is pretty easy.
* Story telling..they will figure it out.
* The big loss is the Opening and closing ceremonies. That is a ratings hit for the NBC..but I don't get the love of seeing teams march into a stadium and an extended superbowl halftime show/interpretive dance performance. But guess some feel the need to see the shirtless Samoan and overpriced Polo/Roots gear that the USOC and similar get paid to trot the athletes around in.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 amI don't get the love of seeing teams march into a stadium *
That's one of my favorite parts. That's what separates the Olympics from just a bunch of guys running on a track or playing handball.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 am* TV is easy. Most international sports leverage a world feed model anyway. Anyone who has watched world cup or other FIFA events in the US knows it because the commentators get a replay that does not match what they are talking about. But all of the runs, events, etc are fully covered. And since olympic coverage is replayed/timed from prime time editing is pretty easy.
* Story telling..they will figure it out.
* The big loss is the Opening and closing ceremonies. That is a ratings hit for the NBC..but I don't get the love of seeing teams march into a stadium and an extended superbowl halftime show/interpretive dance performance. But guess some feel the need to see the shirtless Samoan and overpriced Polo/Roots gear that the USOC and similar get paid to trot the athletes around in.
TV for the Olympics is not easy, in large part because in the US, it's not about showing sports to hardcore fans. It's drawing in casual fans with human interest stories.

NBC dictates when events happen, regardless of time difference, because they pay the most for broadcast rights and want to avoid spoilers of tape delay (as evidenced by climbing network fees for "DVR-proof" sports while almost everything else wilts).

NBC wants to control the stories they tell (especially the athlete profiles) due to their much larger audience of casual sports fans who watch the Olympics.

NBC wants to air the opening and closing ceremonies because those also draw ratings due to casual/non-sports fans.

Farming coverage out to other entities fucks with their money because they're telling stories that draw in casual fans, not showing sports events to a small number of sports fans. And you don't fuck with their money.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So much needless BDE here in the USA's dong.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:34 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:51 amI don't get the love of seeing teams march into a stadium *
That's one of my favorite parts. That's what separates the Olympics from just a bunch of guys running on a track or playing handball.
For 3 hours? When I was a kid, I thought it was cool seeing all the different flags and I loved the pageantry of it all. Now, it's just a bunch of kids walking in a circle on a track waving on a loop for 3 hours.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Today’s kids have ruined everything.