NFL Week 4 - Melvin, is that you?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL Week 4 - Melvin, is that you?

Post by HaulCitgo »

You're right but you have to have guys like that on your team. Physicality is contagious and that fear of death thing is real. Guys like Allen do stupid shit these days and a reminder that you want to go home to your kids saves first downs.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:56 pm I think that in a couple of months time, people will wonder why Lamar Jackson was anointed a superstar after he shredded the Dolphins and Cardinals.
That's maybe a pinch hot-takish. The main issue with Ravens has been their defense.
Yeah, maybe so. I mean, I'd rather have Jackson in Buffalo than Josh Allen.

But the hype on him after two games was very hot-takish (love that term).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:51 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:56 pm I think that in a couple of months time, people will wonder why Lamar Jackson was anointed a superstar after he shredded the Dolphins and Cardinals.
That's maybe a pinch hot-takish. The main issue with Ravens has been their defense.
Yeah, maybe so. I mean, I'd rather have Jackson in Buffalo than Josh Allen.

But the hype on him after two games was very hot-takish (love that term).
Chiefs aren't a juggernaut but he shredded them too. It's cliche to say he was due for a bad game, but it was also bound to happen -- he wasn't going to make a leap in 2019 without a stumble. And it took four weeks for that relative stumble.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The browns d ate his lunch boys. Just facts.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm The first place browns d ate his lunch boys. Just facts.
FIFY
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That was an emotional challenge by Tomlin.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And silly.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:29 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm Just popping in to apologize ahead of time for yet another Bengals primetime debacle.
The Steelers will find a way to make them look good.
That's gonna take some doing. Bengals are missing three defensive lineman, still being forced to play Andre Smith at LT, and have linebackers who are only slightly more effective than if you and I lined up. Plus the whole primetime Andy thing and the Steelers likely being extra salty and the Monday night on the road thing.
I feel like I had the first half scouted dead on.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Got a baaaaaaaaad feeling about the Bengals this season.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Schedule eases up second half, a few injured guys will come back, and they will dead cat bounce to five wins. Enough to put them out of contention for the top qbs in draft probably.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 pm Schedule eases up second half, a few injured guys will come back, and they will dead cat bounce to five wins. Enough to put them out of contention for the top qbs in draft probably.
If it helps any, TB, we Bronco fans feel your pain.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It’s not even that painful - Marvin is finally gone and a year to maybe put them in position to spin the qb wheel again is maybe needed. It’s just, well, I am older than I used to be and more wasted years starts to feel kinda , final and what not.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:39 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:29 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm Just popping in to apologize ahead of time for yet another Bengals primetime debacle.
The Steelers will find a way to make them look good.
That's gonna take some doing. Bengals are missing three defensive lineman, still being forced to play Andre Smith at LT, and have linebackers who are only slightly more effective than if you and I lined up. Plus the whole primetime Andy thing and the Steelers likely being extra salty and the Monday night on the road thing.
I feel like I had the first half scouted dead on.

Yeah you're right - the Bengals (and particularly the OL, obviously but bears mentioning) are awful.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:28 amYeah you're right - the Bengals (and particularly the OL, obviously but bears mentioning) are awful.
Some of the comments in Paul Dehner's post-game column on The Athletic were pretty good, both in identifying issues and being humorous.
Landry S. wrote: I'm sick and tired of watching Bobby Hart shoot up out of his stance like a one-legged penguin only to have done it too early or illegally jabbed his hands into the opponents face. Then be rewarded with a 3 year deal.

I'm sick of watching Andre Smith be brought back to this team, now 3 times, with 2 different coaches.

I'm sick of watching Dre look lost, then in the post game say "we gotta figure this out" and then he himself do nothing to figure this out. Has there been a more boneheaded player than him in Bengals history?

I'm sick of watching nobody know how to make a basic tackle.

I'm sick of watching John Ross get hurt.

I'm sick of watching Michael Jordan play the role of blocking sled as he gets pushed back into Dalton while a healthy Billy Price sits on the bench..only to be brought in and get beat like a drum.

I'm sick of hearing about how the Bengals have a deep defensive line, and then get absolutely no pressure on a backup quarterback.

I'm sick of watching Nick Vigil helplessly leap at defenders while Preston Brown get flatfooted and turned around in coverage.

I'm already getting sick of hearing Taylor say there are "no excuses" and "we have the right guys" when it's evident they don't. For being this supposed hotshot offensive mind, why does the offense look like it couldn't score 2 touchdowns to save its life. As soon as this team gets down more than 7, forget about ever coming back. Pack it in. Save yourself the time.

I'm sick of this entire franchise. This team. This owner. Everything about it.

Management, get out of your chairs and do something about it or sell the team to somebody who will.

Screw the Bengals. This team makes me wish football had never been invented.
-A Bengals fan
Mortimer J. wrote:My 5 year old daughter had a “wear your sports team” day at Kindergarten. (We live in Dallas TX). As we put on a Cincy pink jersey, she looked at my wife and told her “I can’t wear this to school. I want a Cowboys shirt like the other kids. The Bengals always lose.” There we have it.

The Bengals suck and it’s exhausting.
Dave K. wrote:To me the most interesting question is where this team will be playing in 2027.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 pm Bills fans are freaking out about the hit on Josh Allen and what would happen if someone did that to Brady. (Spoiler alert: Tom Brady is not going to traipse through the middle of the field into two defenders). As long as Josh Allen is going to play like a running back, he's going to get hit like one.
Well even if Josh Allen's head injury is Josh Allen's fault, Bills fans still have about 12 other legit officiating gripes from that game.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pmAnd silly.
He's a moron. I mean if that's the standard for offensive PI we're going to have a PI on virtually every passing play but his lack of awareness regard risk/reward never ceases to amaze me. I honestly think he just goes by what the sea of Yinzers thinks.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 pm Bills fans are freaking out about the hit on Josh Allen and what would happen if someone did that to Brady. (Spoiler alert: Tom Brady is not going to traipse through the middle of the field into two defenders). As long as Josh Allen is going to play like a running back, he's going to get hit like one.
Well even if Josh Allen's head injury is Josh Allen's fault, Bills fans still have about 12 other legit officiating gripes from that game.
Any other team and it would be irritating but tolerable.

Bills fans are convinced that there's a "Deep State" that runs the NFL, and it exists solely to fuck the Bills over.

(Probably not unusual in that belief...)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 am

Bills fans are convinced that there's a "Deep State" that runs the NFL, and it exists solely to fuck the Bills over.

Yeah, this was my point, not the officiating.

Steelers fans can be like this too but hot damn is Bills Mafia a weird group.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:17 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 am

Yeah, this was my point, not the officiating.

Steelers fans can be like this too but hot damn is Bills Mafia a weird group.
Even when they were the power in the AFC, the Bills never, ever got a single call.

The Bills mafia is a reflection of the city. Very touchy, very defensive and on Sunday, very drunk.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Bills wouldn't even have the best moment in their franchise history if replay existed, so their fans not named Pruitt or Diamond (or whoever else I'm forgetting) can kindly fuck off.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:10 pm The Bills wouldn't even have the best moment in their franchise history if replay existed, so their fans not named Pruitt or Diamond (or whoever else I'm forgetting) can kindly fuck off.
Legitimately unsure of what you're referring to.

Always remember the Music City Miracle...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Was there a bad call that went against the Oilers during The Comeback? Nothing is sticking out in my head.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

One of Beebe's long TDs came after he stepped out of bounds. There was another play where Beebe was clearly down and touched, but got up and ran for another 20 yards.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 amThe Bills mafia is a reflection of the city. Very touchy, very defensive and on Sunday, very drunk.
The Orchard Park exit on the New York State Thruway was backed up at 8:50am.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When the team you root for is a perennial disappointment, drinking helps.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 pm One of Beebe's long TDs came after he stepped out of bounds. There was another play where Beebe was clearly down and touched, but got up and ran for another 20 yards.
You know - I completely forgot about that.

But blame Jack Pardee!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:50 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:32 amThe Bills mafia is a reflection of the city. Very touchy, very defensive and on Sunday, very drunk.
You see things in the parking lots at that stadium at 10 in the morning that you'd probably never see at spring break.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm
You see things in the parking lots at that stadium at 10 in the morning that you'd probably never see at spring break.
I had a six-hour drive to my mom's house (running it back next Sunday) and checked the NFL schedule well ahead of time since I drive through Buffalo and around Cleveland. I figured there wouldn't be any issues getting through Buffalo that early.

Ha, ha, ha.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm
I had a six-hour drive to my mom's house (running it back next Sunday) and checked the NFL schedule well ahead of time since I drive through Buffalo and around Cleveland. I figured there wouldn't be any issues getting through Buffalo that early.

Ha, ha, ha.
I know it adds some time to the drive, but going through the Chautaqua/Finger Lakes region would always be preferable to the NY Turnpike.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:53 pm When the team you root for is a perennial disappointment, drinking helps.
When you live in Buffalo, drinking is necessary. As they say, Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt