Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part IV - Welcome to Stupid Watergate

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: Trump Admin Meltdown Thread Part IV - Welcome to Stupid Watergate

Post by Joe K »

Caucasian pro athletes fall right in the heart of Trump-supporter demographics: white men with a lot of money but not a lot of higher education.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 pm Caucasian pro athletes fall right in the heart of Trump-supporter demographics: white men with a lot of money but not a lot of higher education.
That's good stuff right there.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Joe K wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 pm Caucasian pro athletes fall right in the heart of Trump-supporter demographics: white men with a lot of money but not a lot of higher education.
These guys probably aren't spending all day on the internet (goes to the whole ignorance part).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:39 pm
These guys probably aren't spending all day on the internet (goes to the whole ignorance part).
probably not, but you just know they follow Trump on Twitter (in addition to their own fraternity of ballplayers)
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:39 pm
probably not, but you just know they follow Trump on Twitter (in addition to their own fraternity of ballplayers)
I'd be surprised if a lot of ballplayers follow Trump or anyone political on Twitter.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:08 pmThat's a lot of words to say willfully ignorant.

Or, are you saying baseball players shouldn't be able to vote until they've cleared how many years of MLB service time?
Not being mature enough to know you’re not seeking out information you should is pretty definitively not willful.

And yes to not letting pro baseball players vote.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I’d liken it to being religious right up until you’re not anymore. A switch flips for whatever reason.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trump’s got like 40 million followers. I’d be surprised if too many baseball players didn’t follow him.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Trump is downtown tonight. I am not there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:58 pm Trump’s got like 40 million followers. I’d be surprised if too many baseball players didn’t follow him.
Is that a legit #, or including bots?
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:24 pm
brian wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:58 pm Trump’s got like 40 million followers. I’d be surprised if too many baseball players didn’t follow him.
Is that a legit #, or including bots?
He also might be #1 in ratio of followers that are there for the train wreck value only.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All that is correct but he still has a shitload of followers regardless of the reason.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:51 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:08 pmThat's a lot of words to say willfully ignorant.

Or, are you saying baseball players shouldn't be able to vote until they've cleared how many years of MLB service time?
Not being mature enough to know you’re not seeking out information you should is pretty definitively not willful.

And yes to not letting pro baseball players vote.
Fuck out of here with that nonsense. How can you honestly say they're "OK with supporting Trump" without being OK with tearing America apart?
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Somewhere, every dead former President is rolling in his grave.

This is what matters to Trump...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A FOIA victory for BuzzFeed and CNN puts Mueller back in the story

Some interesting tidbits...
According to Steve Bannon, Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump vacationed with a Russian oligarch three months before the election. When Trump told Bannon, at their first meeting in 2010, that he was weighing a bid for president in 2012, Bannon replied “for what country?”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The best description I heard, and I forget where exactly but it must've been a podcast, is that Trump is the first overtly asshole president. And because of that, he resonates on a level with others who are on that exact level.

It doesn't matter if those people are poor and would be voting against their own self interests. They are blinded by the fact that 'Fuck You' is the only political argument they need.

In other words a thousand times yes to that tweet.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 am The best description I heard, and I forget where exactly but it must've been a podcast, is that Trump is the first overtly asshole president. And because of that, he resonates on a level with others who are on that exact level.

It doesn't matter if those people are poor and would be voting against their own self interests. They are blinded by the fact that 'Fuck You' is the only political argument they need.

In other words a thousand times yes to that tweet.
It is the victory of the bully.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:22 pm Yeah, the ONLY downside to the Caps winning was being reminded that Ovie is a Putin knob-slobberer and TJ Oshie is a Trumper.
Oshie despite being from Seattle burbs did most of his high school years in a MN town of 1,781.
Ovie supporting the leadership that has treated him so well..

hard to hold it against them..even if you don't agree.

I work with a bunch of Russians and former Russian folks. Talking to them about their view of classic US films from the 80s where they were the bad guy is very interesting (Rambo, Firefox, etc). Especially when they talk about their movies.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 pm Interesting.

Both culture and economic anxiety can be "the" issue. This is a core problem...talking heads trying to say "this is the one thing/reason/problem." Reality is a bunch of things can be the cause of something. Multiple little things make big things happen.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 am
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 pm Interesting.

Both culture and economic anxiety can be "the" issue. This is a core problem...talking heads trying to say "this is the one thing/reason/problem." Reality is a bunch of things can be the cause of something. Multiple little things make big things happen.
Absolutely agree with this. Attempts to explain voting patterns based on only one factor are almost always oversimplifications. “Culture” and/or racism can’t explain why Obama did significantly better with those voters in 2008 and 2012 than Democrats have since. I think there’s something to Johnnie’s point about Trump’s crude form of “populism” having an appeal, particularly when you compare him to Romney (or to guys like Cruz, Jeb and Rubio that he wiped the floor with in the 2016 primary).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I know you guys are talking about something slightly different, but still, you guys are being too nice. This about gaslighting.

Tom Nichols explains it pretty well in this Tweet thread.

Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yeah - this is a corrupt self-interested demagogue who's trying to wipe his ass with the constitution and rule of law in order to make himself richer.

this is third world shit, and while people are clearly entitled to believe what they want, how many of these Trump supporters look beyond the flash of the controversial statements to see what these people are trying to do to the country?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am Trump is scamming his supporters with fake contests.

Try to not be surprised.
Can you imagine Trump having to sit through a meal with a random contest winner? I would love to watch him squirm through an hour of having to make small talk with MAGA moron. There is no way he could manage that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh, I agree. It's doubly interesting for me since I live this stuff day in and day out. I know more about the law related to contests and promotions than I will ever be able to forget (assuming Trump is really not picking/honoring/announcing winners for these contests, he's violating several state and federal laws, though obviously at such small stakes relative to his other crimes that's it's like prosecuting Al Capone for jaywalking).

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am“Culture” and/or racism can’t explain why Obama did significantly better with those voters in 2008 and 2012 than Democrats have since.
I think it can, because things like Ferguson and Black Lives Matter happened between 2012 and 2016. Obama was black (duh) but didn't threaten white privilege or supremacy. But then there was all this focus on police brutality against blacks and problems of blacks. Insecure whites got the sense that Obama/the Dems/liberal society cared more about black people than "people like me".
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... jzFXi1QJAQ

My wife watches a lot of really bad TV... sometimes I join her (Real Housewives of OC/NYC/Jersey), sometimes I don't (Keeping up with the Kardashians.)

A show I'll pop into occasionally is Dancing with the Stars... The above article is all about how the show is fucked because MAGA derpers are keeping Spicer on the show, pretty deep into the contest, despite the fact that he's horrible.

I'm finding it all very funny and very predictable.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Some people have time and very fast fingers.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Note that all the Republican talk about "the phone call" is irrelevant to all of this, since the phone call happened back in July, and all this happened a month later.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, also note that they are full of shit at every turn.

Sondland is doing this now because the GOP Senators, in their infinite wisdom, are trying to play the "sure, it was totally quid pro quo... but that's not enough to overturn an election and throw a president out of office!" bullshit.

Again, the simplicity of all this is what makes it deadly. Trump ordered a shadow foreign policy shakedown, holding up extremely important military aide so Ukraine would carry out a bogus investigation into one of his chief political rivals.

Boom. Done. One sentence.

All the other details, which btw are extremely damning... every single bit... Aren't all that important to the genpop. You can wave your hands dismissively all you want, you are defending a piece of shit at this point and you know it, deep down.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pmTrump ordered a shadow foreign policy shakedown, holding up extremely important military aide so Ukraine would carry out a bogus investigation into one of his chief political rivals.
Even worse, Trump wasn't really looking for an actual investigation of the Bidens. He just wanted an *announcement* of an investigation.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:46 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pmTrump ordered a shadow foreign policy shakedown, holding up extremely important military aide so Ukraine would carry out a bogus investigation into one of his chief political rivals.
Even worse, Trump wasn't really looking for an actual investigation of the Bidens. He just wanted an *announcement* of an investigation.
Yep. Just like the Democrat's server in The Ukraine. It's horse shit.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 pmCan you imagine Trump having to sit through a meal with a random contest winner? I would love to watch him squirm through an hour of having to make small talk with MAGA moron. There is no way he could manage that.
I think he would actually really enjoy an hour of non-stop showing off and bragging to some idiot sycophant that slurps up every word and goes home to tell his friends and family that it was "awesome" how much the president "loves McDonald's" and "is just like you and me".

Seriously, Trump would eat McDonald's with the winner.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:46 pm
I called it bogus!

:D
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:37 pm
Except it still works, because Trump's random verbal diarrhea defeats all facts and reality. Even when Trump says the exact opposite of what he said yesterday.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:37 pm
Except it still works, because Trump's random verbal diarrhea defeats all facts and reality. Even when Trump says the exact opposite of what he said yesterday.
If you distance yourself a bit from the specifics of this case, there is something vaguely satisfying about some rich guy paying a ton of money to get some classy title and then being put in the middle of a shit show that subsequently shows him to be a lying piece of shit and thus makes it hard for him to ever get another classy title.

Trump just fucks everyone who comes close to him.