MLB Post Season 2019

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I can’t imagine him going much past the 4th if at all.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3828
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Joe K » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 am

The Cardinals winning yesterday was good because double-elimination games are fun. But it’s predictably annoying that Molina is getting so much hype for a bloop single and medium distance sac fly when it’s Goldschmidt and Ozuna who have been absolutely carrying the team and destroying baseballs all series. I know it’s small sample size and all that but between STL and Arizona, Goldy’s playoff numbers are pretty staggering.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13637
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by A_B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:58 am

What with him being in the Pacific timezone, I'd never seen Paul Goldschmidt play much. That dude just looks like a prototypical first baseman.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am

Gotta be lefty to be the prototype.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13637
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by A_B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:28 am
Gotta be lefty to be the prototype.
The jerk store called and they're out of the prototypical you!
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am

I hit lefty.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 10293
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by sancarlos » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am

Once it became clear the Yanks were going to win last night, the broadcasters were positively giddy contemplating how the extra game(s) might foul up the Astros' pitching rotation in the next series against New York.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16691
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by brian » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 am

sancarlos wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am
Once it became clear the Yanks were going to win last night, the broadcasters were positively giddy contemplating how the extra game(s) might foul up the Astros' pitching rotation in the next series against New York.
It really can't foul it up too bad. Even if they burn Verlander and Cole in Games 4 and 5 of DS, Game 1 of the ALCS is Saturday, so Verlander can pitch Game 2 on normal rest or Game 1 on short rest and Cole can pitch Game 3 on normal rest. Those two can still start at least four games on normal rest in the ALCS (assuming it goes 7).

Obviously, Houston would love to have those guys pitching Games 1 and 2 in some order on normal or extra rest, but it's not really as huge an advantage as it would be if the ALCS started Friday/Saturday.
"Cut from the cloth of a flag that bears the name 'Battle Born'..." - Flesh and Bone, The Killers

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am

I'd like to think that every start chips a little bit of a 36 year old pitcher away.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 13637
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by A_B » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:47 am

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am
I'd like to think that every start chips a little bit of a 36 year old pitcher away.
Maybe not generational talents playing for the astros!
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2112
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by L-Jam3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:50 am

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am
I'd like to think that every start chips a little bit of a 36 year old pitcher away.
Which makes Randy Johnson's Years 35 through 40 seasons with Arizona that much more amazing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 5127
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Giff » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am

L-Jam3 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:50 am
mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am
I'd like to think that every start chips a little bit of a 36 year old pitcher away.
Which makes Randy Johnson's Years 35 through 40 seasons with Arizona that much more amazing.
It's cause of his two months with the Astros.
Muh.

psunate77
Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by psunate77 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Not an ideal start for Houston and JV.. Big worry is how bad Houston's bats have been. Brantley, Springer, and Correra have been crap.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4372
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Rex » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:16 pm

I’m worried that this rooting for the Rays thing is going to turn out like the Democrats rooting for Trump in the primaries. If they can beat a first ballot HOFer by starting a middle reliever, what further damage can they inflict on the game in the next two rounds?

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 pm

psunate77 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:35 pm
Not an ideal start for Houston and JV.. Big worry is how bad Houston's bats have been. Brantley, Springer, and Correra have been crap.
The Rays have missed on two opportunities to blow this game open.

What may be crap is the notion to start JV on short rest when they could've used him as the hammer after Cole (both full rest) in G5.

psunate77
Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by psunate77 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Don’t get sending Altuve

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:48 pm

psunate77 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:46 pm
Don’t get sending Altuve
Nah. That was a good send. It took two perfect throws with execution to nail him, and they only got him by like 6". Which is half Altuve's height, so I get your point.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm

I think this has been good so far.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm
I think this has been good so far.
If the Astros don't have a legit 4th starter to have thrown this game (or in the next series), then they're paper tiger-ish.

Verlander was a risky proposition tonight.

psunate77
Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by psunate77 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 pm

EnochRoot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm
mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm
I think this has been good so far.
If the Astros don't have a legit 4th starter to have thrown this game (or in the next series), then they're paper tiger-ish.

Verlander was a risky proposition tonight.

They have Miley, but he was used in relief Monday

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:11 pm

psunate77 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 pm
EnochRoot wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm
mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 pm
I think this has been good so far.
If the Astros don't have a legit 4th starter to have thrown this game (or in the next series), then they're paper tiger-ish.

Verlander was a risky proposition tonight.

They have Miley, but he was used in relief Monday
They used Miley on Monday because they were using Verlander tonight.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I might start verlander in both games of a doubleheader before starting Miley in the playoffs.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 pm

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm
I might start verlander in both games of a doubleheader before starting Miley in the playoffs.
And Urquidy? Peacock? Yeah, I'd have started Verlander in all three games of a tripleheader. Beer League, even.

The Astros could've been down 9 runs if the Rays actually connected with some key hits. The first several hits given up by JV were all above 100 EV. Dude had nothing.

psunate77
Jackie Treehorn
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by psunate77 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 am

mister d wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:13 pm
I might start verlander in both games of a doubleheader before starting Miley in the playoffs.
I don't know.. JV career numbers aren't great on 3 days rest.. You could started Urquidy and brought JV in from the pen.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 am

Cite? I thought I read he doesn't have a 3 day rest history.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by DSafetyGuy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:07 am

mister d wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 am
Cite? I thought I read he doesn't have a 3 day rest history.
He started on two days' rest once - 2011 ALDS Game 3, beating NYY, but giving up 4 ER in 8 IP (120 pitches, 11 K). He had only pitched the first inning of Game 1 in that series.

2017 ALDS Game 4, he pitched 2.2 IP in relief against Boston on three days' rest. ER, 2 BB, 0 K.

I'm a big Verlander fan, but meh.
Stick this in your trophy case.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am

I just don't see how any other option is better than Verlander short and Cole full especially given there's no goddamn way Verlander is getting pulled at the first sign of exit velo trouble. The less you use your shitty pitchers the better in a short series.

(Totally different if McCullers weren't hurt. He can win a game, with Miley or Urquidy, you're hoping they don't lose it before you go to the pen.)
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

mister d wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am
I just don't see how any other option is better than Verlander short and Cole full especially given there's no goddamn way Verlander is getting pulled at the first sign of exit velo trouble. The less you use your shitty pitchers the better in a short series.

(Totally different if McCullers weren't hurt. He can win a game, with Miley or Urquidy, you're hoping they don't lose it before you go to the pen.)
IMO, this was a case of Hinch underestimating the Rays ability to expose a 36 year old, heavily-worked Verlander on short rest, perhaps as much as revealing a lack of confidence in his lineup vs the Rays relievers they’d face in G4.

Oh and that Keirmeier > Adames > d’Arnaud play to nail Altuve was from another world. Not sure they make that play if they hadn’t already feasted on the carcass of Verlander though. I think there’s a certain fearlessness they gained during the game last night.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am

I actually said outloud "well there's one back" when it went into the gap. It was a 97th percentile relay anyway, but the announcers kinda failed to highlight that the Kiermaier throw was actually pretty high making the Adames transfer all the more impressive. Just really pretty baseball.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2572
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:36 am

Forget if I mentioned it, but my brother was at the game last night. I texted him a screenshot of the moment d’Arnaud tagged Altuve (tagging his knee as Altuve attempts to lower his hand to touch the plate (except the catcher’s arm is blocking his path). His phone got passed around a bunch.

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5660
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Rush2112 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Not a good half inning there.
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3828
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Joe K » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Snitker had pretty terrible setup for his rotation this series. Giving two starts each to Keuchel and Folty and only one to Soroka is inexcusable.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Cards should let Helsley close this one out.
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16691
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by brian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Glad I made a "disappointment bet" on the Cards today. Not even gonna have to sweat this one!
"Cut from the cloth of a flag that bears the name 'Battle Born'..." - Flesh and Bone, The Killers

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 10293
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by sancarlos » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:31 pm

I told my wife the Cards were ahead 10-0 after one inning. She asked me if they have a mercy rule like they did in my softball league.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 16373
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by mister d » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm
Glad I made a "disappointment bet" on the Cards today. Not even gonna have to sweat this one!
Is that what bets on teams you hate so atleast you get something out of it called?
Rush2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:46 pm
Dude got a handjob like thousands of old dudes do every day. Big whoop.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 16691
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by brian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm

mister d wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm
brian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm
Glad I made a "disappointment bet" on the Cards today. Not even gonna have to sweat this one!
Is that what bets on teams you hate so atleast you get something out of it called?
That's what I call them, yes.
"Cut from the cloth of a flag that bears the name 'Battle Born'..." - Flesh and Bone, The Killers

User avatar
Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3828
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Joe K » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

brian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm
mister d wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm
brian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm
Glad I made a "disappointment bet" on the Cards today. Not even gonna have to sweat this one!
Is that what bets on teams you hate so atleast you get something out of it called?
That's what I call them, yes.
I made those bets on the Patriots in last year’s AFCCG and Superbowl. Also my bets on the Warriors to win the last 2 titles were partially disappointment bets and partially that I thought they were a lock if reasonably healthy.

User avatar
Rex
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4372
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by Rex » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm

The Cardinals might want to pull some of their best hitters, and maybe even send them to the airport. This matchup is already such an unwritten rules dick measuring contest, and now that HBP on Acuna.

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 8219
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: MLB Post Season 2019

Post by degenerasian » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

My favorite part is that a 10 run inning started with a sacrifice bunt.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

Post Reply