Sports Illustrated

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Sports Illustrated

Post by Rex »

Maybe not yet, but...

I have a lot of warm feelings about SI, but also, it’s been over a decade since I gave them any revenue whatsoever, so how can I act angry?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Sports Illustrated

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My childhood room, the walls were plastered with covers. I read that thing cover to cover... loved it for years.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm My childhood room, the walls were plastered with covers. I read that thing cover to cover... loved it for years.
My son's room is plastered with the poster inserts from SI Kids (and my daughter is pissed b/c Pulisic is on the back of one of the posted players. ")He is the best American soccer player AND he is cute!") Just upgraded his subscription to the adult SI a couple months ago, so don't blame me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It’s good to know that kids are still into it, I guess. In a way that’s always been their best audience. It’s amazing how many specific articles from about 1987-2000 I still remember. After that I kept getting them for years and would read sometimes, but mostly they ended up as something to fill my Ikea shelf boxes.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Rex wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 pm It’s amazing how many specific articles from about 1987-2000 I still remember. After that I kept getting them for years and would read sometimes, but mostly they ended up as something to fill my Ikea shelf boxes.
That is me to a T.

My favorite article was when they listed all the players salary for MLB. I am thinking 88 or 89 but it could have been a few years later.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Long live Hayden SIddharta Finch.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And the Swimsuit issue was my sexual awakening.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:58 pm Long live Hayden SIddharta Finch.
Kids today have no idea of how much cultural impact certain magazines had. The Sidd Finch issue caused a huge stir (among sports fans anyway).

Man, I used to love getting mail - when I was a kid, both my parents were news junkies, so it'd be Time and Newsweek. Add in Sports Illustrated and the monthly magazines and there was always something new to read.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Looks like the person who helped me find the swamp in the first place still has a job.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Count me among those who read it pretty much cover to cover from say, 1985-1995 when I went to college. Even then my mom got me a subscription of my own for my birthday for a few years, I just didn't read it as much.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

10 years in college, AB? Is your last name Blutarsky?

I'm pretty disappointed. I've had a subscription pretty consistently for the last 30 years, and I read it cover to cover. I kept every cover with Philly athletes starting with Dr. J's retirement issue. I was considering getting my littel guys SI For Kids. If it goes away, I'm going to be bummed.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I didn't go to college for 10 years. I went for 11. Obviously that was poorly written.

(Didn't get my Undergrad until 2006. Had a two year break in there, finished degree part-time while working full time.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's a way to make an Overgrad joke work there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shit. I'm sorry, AB. I didn't realize you were going part-time. I was just breaking your balls, I wasn't trying to slag you. That was an asshole thing for me to say.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is distracting us from learning more about Syb’s sexual awakening
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:26 am Shit. I'm sorry, AB. I didn't realize you were going part-time. I was just breaking your balls, I wasn't trying to slag you. That was an asshole thing for me to say.
So, in 1985 I was 8. I came to college in 1995. Went full time til spring 2000. Wife had a kid, I went full time at my job and took two years off. Then took advantage of the company's tuition reimbursement, switched majors and finished in 2006. No worries at all it did look like I said i was in college from 85-95, but that aged me a bit!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rex wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 am This is distracting us from learning more about Syb’s sexual awakening
Spoiler: He's talking about the 2014 issue.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pivot to video is to blame.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Was talking with someone 2 days ago...They were talking about cool vacation places in Michigan. I mentioned Mackinac Island. They said "You ever been there". My answer was no but the swimming pool from the Grand Hotel is burned into my adolescent brain from 1993.
duff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm
Rex wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 pm It’s amazing how many specific articles from about 1987-2000 I still remember. After that I kept getting them for years and would read sometimes, but mostly they ended up as something to fill my Ikea shelf boxes.
That is me to a T.

My favorite article was when they listed all the players salary for MLB. I am thinking 88 or 89 but it could have been a few years later.
1987 is the one I remember

but 85 had one too.

Also we don't get a great kicker in this one if it was not for SI
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We had SI delivered to the house when we were kids. I remember being bummed when it’d be a cover dedicated to college football (growing up in CT, college football simply did not exist as a sport until Doug Flutie put it on the map with that Thanksgiving weekend game vs Miami circa ‘84). The first subscription that came to the house exclusively for me, however was Baseball Digest. Then maybe for my 9th or 10th birthday I got a subscription to The Sporting News. Getting your own mail was BOSS.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The SI article that stands out to me the most was when Peter Gammons sat down with Ted Williams, who talked shop with two of the most prolific hitters of the 80s era, Don Mattingly and Wade Boggs. Article led off with Williams wondering if Boggs ever smelled the wood of the bat burn from a fouled off pitch. Something like that.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I obviously know the demographics in baseball have changed greatly from when I was a kid, but it seems very notable that 3 of the top 4 and 6 of the top 11 earners on that list were (and still are) black.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 am The SI article that stands out to me the most was when Peter Gammons sat down with Ted Williams, who talked shop with two of the most prolific hitters of the 80s era, Don Mattingly and Wade Boggs. Article led off with Williams wondering if Boggs ever smelled the wood of the bat burn from a fouled off pitch. Something like that.
This was the same thing he supposedly asked Nomar and McGwire and everyone else at the '99 ASG. Get a new angle, old man.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 am The SI article that stands out to me the most was when Peter Gammons sat down with Ted Williams, who talked shop with two of the most prolific hitters of the 80s era, Don Mattingly and Wade Boggs. Article led off with Williams wondering if Boggs ever smelled the wood of the bat burn from a fouled off pitch. Something like that.
This was the same thing he supposedly asked Nomar and McGwire and everyone else at the '99 ASG. Get a new angle, old man.
Let's not lose our heads over this.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Listen, I'm not proud of this one but I also can't keep it in ...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am
He changed it up a bit when interviewing Youkilis in the mid-2000s and asking if he smelled toast.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wait, is smell an essential sense for hitting a baseball?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No, but when you just miss one and foul it straight back with a wood bat, it creates a burning smell that a certain type of writer loses their shit over. Its also something I'm sure Chet Lemon did as often as Wade Boggs so only asking a top hitter would be odd.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ted Williams, to Joey Votto: "Did'ja ever smell the bat burn when you foul one off just right?"
Todd Frazier, within earshot: "Hey, yeah that happ..."
Ted Williams: "SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP."
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gammons didn't ask the question? Fuck. Now I blew the joke and karma.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think that was just a (very good) joke about Ted Williams being an asshole.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just remember one article from my first issue and it was about a star volleyball player from the 84 Olympics who died while on the court in Japan.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just to add my two cents. My father is/was a sports fan and he subscribed his entire life to every single SI ever published. I have the very first issue and most of the first two years, which he had saved. My dad, my brothers and I read every issue cover to cover (especially the swimsuit issue. Cheryl Tiegs' nips!)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 am This is distracting us from learning more about Syb’s sexual awakening
Picture it, Upstate New York, 1987. 11 yo Syb at my friend's house for his brother's Bar Mitzvah after party, looking through the swimsuit issue. For the next couple days, even thinking about the pics in the mag was enough to sport wood for hours.

Holy shit, they have the entire issue scanned and archived! https://www.si.com/vault/issue/702375/151

And I even remembered the cover correctly.

-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm Image
Ah, yes. I cut out every Elle pic from the swimsuit issue and pinned them to my closet door. And the 88 cover is the best. That black suit I believe.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:21 pm
Picture it, Upstate New York, 1987. 11 yo Syb at my friend's house for his brother's Bar Mitzvah after party, looking through the swimsuit issue. For the next couple days, even thinking about the pics in the mag was enough to sport wood for hours.

Holy shit, they have the entire issue scanned and archived! https://www.si.com/vault/issue/702375/151

And I even remembered the cover correctly.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My favorite was the Kathy Ireland one from a couple years later. My girlfriend, who was in advertising, got me a copy signed by Ireland.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Stacey Williams and Kathy Ireland were my favorites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 pm Stacey Williams and Kathy Ireland were my favorites.
Winner.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 am
A_B wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 pm Stacey Williams and Kathy Ireland were my favorites.
Winner.
OMG, yes
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.