NCAA Hoops 2019/2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: NCAA Hoops 2019/2020

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 pm Couple too many zeros.
It’s possible I’m implying “other unnamed schools” likely do this shit all the time and not just with the best player in a given class.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:51 pm I’m seeing Penny helped them relocate?
In 2017 - before he was the coach at Memphis.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

In the past 48 hours the NCAA has taken one of the best players in football and basketball away - good job ncaa, as always.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:51 pm I’m seeing Penny helped them relocate?
In 2017 - before he was the coach at Memphis.
Come on dude. You’re not naive enough to think hiring penny wasn’t in part to get wiseman. You’ve been through calipari same as me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Serious question: Has Calipari had any major violations since UMass/Memphis?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm Serious question: Has Calipari had any major violations since UMass/Memphis?
Nope but I’m not allowed to say that.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I guess it’s good he cleaned up his act and hasn’t done anything outside the NCAA bylaws since!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 pm I guess it’s good he cleaned up his act and hasn’t done anything outside the NCAA bylaws since!
Thanks for understanding.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Cal was “dirty” but then he wasn’t. The funniest thing to me is anyone at any fan base claiming any high ground or complaining about alleged recruiting advantages, much less a KY basketball fan...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Which is to say, seriously, who gives a shit at this point? The default is that every program at the top of the NCAA pecking order has done allegedly shady shit to get there or stay there in these environs. But good on the NCAA clearing wiseman to play and then getting all self-righteous about it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m doing the opposite of claiming the high ground. You have cal you expect the shoe to drop. You missed that point.

My first naïveté point stands. Come on man. You’re blinded by the point that your teams coach and admin royally screwed up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I actually hope they decide that penny wasn’t acting in Any Ill way. Because he is a great player. But to say it isn’t plausible in some kind of long game is naive. Penny had zero experience coaching anything except wiseman when he was hired, no?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If any of you watched the Duke game tonight, you know that my alma mater’s program is clean as a whistle. No way they’d go to any undue lengths and then end up with this team.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

How is what Hardaway/Wiseman did taboo even through programs hiring the close relatives of star HS players onto their coaching staffs isn’t? Multiple programs have done that — most recently Oklahoma State, who landed a commitment from the #1 player in the nation after hiring his brother. It seems like different rules apply based on how prominent the program is, both in football and basketball.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 pm How is what Hardaway/Wiseman did taboo even through programs hiring the close relatives of star HS players onto their coaching staffs isn’t? Multiple programs have done that — most recently Oklahoma State, who landed a commitment from the #1 player in the nation after hiring his brother. It seems like different rules apply based on how prominent the program is, both in football and basketball.
It’s an old tradition. In 1984, Kansas hired truck driver Ed Manning as an assistant coach. Coincidentally, at that time, his son Danny Manning was the most sought-after recruit in the country.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm I’m doing the opposite of claiming the high ground. You have cal you expect the shoe to drop. You missed that point.

My first naïveté point stands. Come on man. You’re blinded by the point that your teams coach and admin royally screwed up.
You are missing the point - I don’t care. I don’t care about NCAA rules. I don’t care if Kentucky breaks them, or duke, or Virginia, or who the fuck ever. They don’t matter. They are a vestigial limb. No one gives a shit because the system is nonsensical and corrupt. If this was maxey ruled ineligible I would have the same reaction - the NCAA should have no authority. All I care about is seeing the best players play. To pretend any of this is above board or has been for anyone for decades is insane. I know what house Zion’s family lined in, in Durham last year. It was lovely. I don’t care.

I just wanted to see the best players play ball, whatever Jersey they were wearing. That’s it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

If that's the case why intertwine with higher education? This whole discussion of paying players begs the actual question.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean...it mostly doesn’t? The one and dones have nothing to do with higher education, so I guess I don’t know why that charade still is a thing. Wiseman wanted to play at home - he should be able to do that whether his family was helped to move back in 2017 a year before penny ended up with the Memphis job to where he grew up or not. If duke made Zion’s family comfortable in Durham for his one year there, who cares?

People like college basketball, and if the training program for some students at some universities is one year as opposed to four - who gives a shit why they choose one over another. Whole thing is batshit insane.

I like basketball, I just wanted to see one of the best players in the country play it. Cool that it was in a memphis jersey, but fine if it was in another jersey. The NCAA has sucked out loud for decades but now it is just so throwback dumb that i don’t get why any school plays along with them.
Last edited by tennbengal on Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 am If that's the case why intertwine with higher education? This whole discussion of paying players begs the actual question.
It’s a weird figment of American sports culture that we do that intertwining as it really doesn’t happen elsewhere. Luka Doncic was playing professionally at age 16 for Real Madrid. I think the trend of American players playing professionally in places like Australia before they get drafted is only going to accelerate as guys who take that route continue to succeed. (The downside is that you get more PR playing at Duke or Kentucky than professionally overseas but from a player development perspective I don’t see any real advantage to NCAA ball.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am
Joe K wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 pm I think MSU wins tonight, possibly easily. Calipari is obviously a great recruiter and he gets his players to play hard and buy in defensively. But UK has tremendously underperformed on offense given the talent level because he micromanages and they run such conventional stuff. Not being able to win a title with Devin Booker and Karl-Anthony Towns, or even make the Final Four with PJ Washington and Tyler Herro, looks pretty bad in retrospect considering how good those guys all are in the NBA.
Fuck off fake UK fan!
Kentucky is shooting under 36% against Evansville with under 7 minutes left. Now can I complain about Calipari's offense?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ve thought about it and decided you can continue to fuck off
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wait, what? Evansville?
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Shocked and saw none
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm
Joe K wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 pm I think MSU wins tonight, possibly easily. Calipari is obviously a great recruiter and he gets his players to play hard and buy in defensively. But UK has tremendously underperformed on offense given the talent level because he micromanages and they run such conventional stuff. Not being able to win a title with Devin Booker and Karl-Anthony Towns, or even make the Final Four with PJ Washington and Tyler Herro, looks pretty bad in retrospect considering how good those guys all are in the NBA.
Fuck off fake UK fan!
Kentucky is shooting under 36% against Evansville with under 7 minutes left. Now can I complain about Calipari's offense?
So I obviously get emotional during games and watch by feel, not analytics. I'm the Joe Morgan of watching UK basketball. I think the bigger issue was defensive and rebounding. We got a lot of shots that are supposed to be the most efficient: lay ups, free throws and threes. Just missed an absurd amount of lay ups. 3-point shooting is always an issue but hagans, quickley and fucking nich richards missed several bunnies between them. So I think they got the shots the offense called for, they just didn't execute worth a piss.

This was far and away the worst defensive performance. Evansville deserved to win, hands down.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 am
Joe K wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:35 pm
Fuck off fake UK fan!
So I obviously get emotional during games and watch by feel, not analytics. I'm the Joe Morgan of watching UK basketball. I think the bigger issue was defensive and rebounding. We got a lot of shots that are supposed to be the most efficient: lay ups, free throws and threes. Just missed an absurd amount of lay ups. 3-point shooting is always an issue but hagans, quickley and fucking nich richards missed several bunnies between them. So I think they got the shots the offense called for, they just didn't execute worth a piss.

This was far and away the worst defensive performance. Evansville deserved to win, hands down.
Kentucky getting outrebounded by a MVC team is pretty bad but it’s not like Evansville caught fire and shot the lights out. They were only 38% from the field and 30% from 3.

The recurring issues I see with Kentucky’s offense are that:
1. They rarely ever push the pace, even though they should have a big athleticism edge against almost all opponents. Sure, you’ll turn the ball over and give up more open shots that way, but over a 40 minute game you should be able to wear down your opponents. In other words, more UNC and less UVA would be good.

2. The offense never seems to be geared towards generating open 3s as the first look, so the 3s they do get tend to be tough shots with the shot clock winding down. And when things get tough, Calipari defaults to repeated post ups for his big men. That works fine if you have Karl-Anthony Towns but not so much with guys like Reid Travis or Nick Richards (who should be a dunker and screener only).

3. This relates to point 2, but Calipari has been very slow to adapt to the modern use of the stretch-4 or even stretch-5 that allows teams to play 4-out basketball and spread the floor. Having big men with perimeter skills can open up so much for an offense and with the exception of PJ last year, Kentucky hasn’t really had any guys who have done that. (Cal even used to brag during the 2014-15 season about how he was helping Towns as a prospect by anchoring him to the block, which is funny if you look at how the Wolves use him now.) I know Sestina is supposed to play that role this year but you can’t expect too much from a Patriot League transfer.

Calipari can still be counted on to bring in good recruiting classes and to get his guys to play hard and to buy in on defense. But he could really use an assistant who can serve as the equivalent of an offensive coordinator in football.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

MI with a nice win over a slightly banged up, but solid Creighton last night.

Not particularly noteworthy, other than the story line around "How will first time head coach Juwan Howard do?"

So far, pretty damn good. Creighton is the type of team (well coached, disciplined, very consistent) that can rattle and take down a team lacking leadership and solid coaching. Trailing at half-time, the Wolverines came out for the second half and really dominated. Good adjustments.

That's a very good sign.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gary Parrish for cbssports.com last night said that all indications from sources are that NCAA and Memphis were coming to a compromise. He just tweeted that an announcement is imminent.

My guess is a suspension for maybe 5 games or so, so NCAA can save some face and Memphis can look like it yielded to NCAA.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Monster Mash's son signed with the Gophers. I am old.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am Gary Parrish for cbssports.com last night said that all indications from sources are that NCAA and Memphis were coming to a compromise. He just tweeted that an announcement is imminent.

My guess is a suspension for maybe 5 games or so, so NCAA can save some face and Memphis can look like it yielded to NCAA.
He is to be held out for the moment, apparently.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am Gary Parrish for cbssports.com last night said that all indications from sources are that NCAA and Memphis were coming to a compromise. He just tweeted that an announcement is imminent.

Yeah, that was procedural - he had to agree to drop the lawsuit to allow the NCAA to adjudicate his application for reinstatement. I am assuming that the discussion about how long he sits out were already had prior to him dropping the suit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Good for AB!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I heard that real time and was bewildered.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wow, this is the dude that was calling the game and said that.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am Terps fan and think they are good but what coach gave them a #1 ranking vote this week
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mid Majors are enjoying playing Northwestern. Double digit loss to Radford last night.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Balls make a difference (which is different than when I gave a team crap for complaining about MD's underarmour ball)
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... road-teams
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:40 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah, that was procedural - he had to agree to drop the lawsuit to allow the NCAA to adjudicate his application for reinstatement. I am assuming that the discussion about how long he sits out were already had prior to him dropping the suit.
I would be wrong in that assumption. Guess the discussion of how long he sits wasn't had prior to his dropping the lawsuit.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The good news is Wiseman undoubtedly has $11,500 just sitting around to donate to charity to "make restitution".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”