Laptop Shopping

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Laptop Shopping

Post by The Sybian »

My wife needs a new laptop. Been a long time since I shopped, what should I be looking for? Mostly basic stuff, web surfing, probably storing digital photos and shit, word processing... Not sure if ChromeBook is a good option, as she probably doesn't want to learn new software. My father recently got a ChromeBook and said it was an extremely easy transition, it loads must faster and better virus protection. She bought a Mac once, and hated it.

So, what kind of RAM is mandatory? She probably won't use it to stream shows, so screen quality not important.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Re: Laptop Shopping

Post by mister d »

I think I talked about this here, but we were in the same boat where its basic functionality then a storage device for a shit-ton of photos and music. Ended up going Mac again, because they're better, but keeping all of the music and photos on an external drive so we didn't have to buy a higher model or bog the shit down.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

If you’re already baked into the Google ecosphere, then there’s nothing wrong with a Chromebook if all she’s going to do is surf the web, social-media and view and manage pictures and if she’s using a word processing program. You can probably get away with 4 GB of RAM in that light of a machine if you’re using a web-based version of Word (Office 365) or Google’s word processing program (whatever that’s called - I forget).
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am If you’re already baked into the Google ecosphere, then there’s nothing wrong with a Chromebook if all she’s going to do is surf the web, social-media and view and manage pictures and if she’s using a word processing program. You can probably get away with 4 GB of RAM in that light of a machine if you’re using a web-based version of Word (Office 365) or Google’s word processing program (whatever that’s called - I forget).
Docs, and it's great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

depends on how much she wants to email her brother
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am If you’re already baked into the Google ecosphere, then there’s nothing wrong with a Chromebook if all she’s going to do is surf the web, social-media and view and manage pictures and if she’s using a word processing program. You can probably get away with 4 GB of RAM in that light of a machine if you’re using a web-based version of Word (Office 365) or Google’s word processing program (whatever that’s called - I forget).
Docs, and it's great.
Really? Kids use it all the time but I NEED stuff like track changes and formatting options. Coming from you though... Might look more closely
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:23 pm
Docs, and it's great.
Really? Kids use it all the time but I NEED stuff like track changes and formatting options. Coming from you though... Might look more closely
Well...I don't use it for work yet, so don't go Microsoft free just yet.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

I would use Amazon and look only at Asus. There are a lot of choices and most of their thin lines do not have DVD-Rom. It has been my firm belief, based on 15 years of buying and selling ASUS is that they start with better shit.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My house was entirely Apple until last month when I added a 13" ASUS ZenBook so that I can have a Win10 Pro install handy. That and I setup a dual boot of Kali Linux. The ZenBook is pretty slick.

Just avoid a laptop with a numeric keypad because of the industry's collective idiocy in designing the trackpad left of center (albeit still, directly beneath the spacebar). Numeric keypads are meant to be attached devices on laptops, not integrated.
Noli Timere Messorem
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

That USB 10 pad will set you back $15. I have had to disable the touch pad on most of my laptops.

Meanwhile... Touch Screen Costs more and why do I want to touch a screen I have been trying to keep clean for 20 years.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

edwzipper wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:51 pm That USB 10 pad will set you back $15. I have had to disable the touch pad on most of my laptops.

Meanwhile... Touch Screen Costs more and why do I want to touch a screen I have been trying to keep clean for 20 years.
Yeah. That's the other thing that makes my hair turn gray.

Dafuck do I want to touch my computer screen for?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:52 pm
edwzipper wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:51 pm That USB 10 pad will set you back $15. I have had to disable the touch pad on most of my laptops.

I 100% agree, but she wants a touch screen, so that's what she got. Unless you are getting a 2 in 1 and using it as a tablet, I don't see the point.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm

I 100% agree, but she wants a touch screen, so that's what she got. Unless you are getting a 2 in 1 and using it as a tablet, I don't see the point.
Actually, come to think of it, is my ZenBook a touch screen? Have I been living in a reality of denial all this time?
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Actually, come to think of it, is my ZenBook a touch screen? Have I been living in a reality of denial all this time?
My new 27" monitor for my gaming rig has finger prints all over it because my kids forgot it wasn't a touchscreen like their Chromebooks they have from school. Wife did the same thing with our old laptop she uses for entering in grades and shit. So frustrating.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I've had several coworkers who felt the need to touch the screen whenever they're pointing something out. Infuriating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Around the time I made this thread I ended up buying myself a laptop, too. I got a Lenovo Thinkpad, 8G Ram. I hate that computer so much, I am kind of happy a book fell on it and it stopped working. It takes forever to load and can't run multiple functions. It'd take 5-7 minutes to load Zoom call and the monitor was backlit LED and sucked balls. Even at the brightest setting, it was a dim picture, like looking at a screen through fog.

I will use it for general internet usage, streaming and word processing. I wasn't going to spend on a large hard drive, but this Labor Day sale seems incredible. External hard drives are insanely cheap now, I'll take 1TB of memory. Any thoughts on this Asus Vivobook? Reviews are generally good, buy several people complaining it's really slow. I see HP has some great deals on their website. My work computer is an HP Elitebook and I love it, but it's more than I want to spend.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivob ... Id=6469399
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:49 pm Around the time I made this thread I ended up buying myself a laptop, too. I got a Lenovo Thinkpad, 8G Ram. I hate that computer so much, I am kind of happy a book fell on it and it stopped working. It takes forever to load and can't run multiple functions. It'd take 5-7 minutes to load Zoom call and the monitor was backlit LED and sucked balls. Even at the brightest setting, it was a dim picture, like looking at a screen through fog.

I will use it for general internet usage, streaming and word processing. I wasn't going to spend on a large hard drive, but this Labor Day sale seems incredible. External hard drives are insanely cheap now, I'll take 1TB of memory. Any thoughts on this Asus Vivobook? Reviews are generally good, buy several people complaining it's really slow. I see HP has some great deals on their website. My work computer is an HP Elitebook and I love it, but it's more than I want to spend.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivob ... Id=6469399
Why not go with a Mac?
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Last time I used a Mac was in a college intro programming class circa 1995 or 96. My wife bought an expensive Mac once and absolutely hated it, so I didnt even consider.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:17 pm Last time I used a Mac was in a college intro programming class circa 1995 or 96. My wife bought an expensive Mac once and absolutely hated it, so I didnt even consider.
Mac OS is not only a lot better than it was in the mid 90s, it's better than anything running a Windows OS.

If you don't need to run Windows, Mac is your choice, IMO.

ETA - the M1 chip makes it a no brainer.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Back when I used Windows-based laptops, malware plagued me. I’ve never had that issue since I switched to a MacBook.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Macs are super expensive, so I don't know if I'd buy my own, but my work laptop is an M1 and it's fucking awesome. So much faster, quieter, and cooler than the Macbook I replaced it with.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This thread being bumped makes me think I need a new laptop.

I'm still rocking a 10+ year old Sony VAIO that looks like this and runs very well:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:23 am Macs are super expensive, so I don't know if I'd buy my own, but my work laptop is an M1 and it's fucking awesome. So much faster, quieter, and cooler than the Macbook I replaced it with.

Yeah, looked up Macbooks, and they are way more than I want to spend. I'm looking to keep it around $500 if possible. Only using it to surf the web, occasionally stream and use Microsoft Suite. With how little I'll end up using it, I don't want to learn a new OS and learn how to use their versions of Word, Excel etc... I'm sure it's easy and I'd adjust, but why?
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Got people at work Acer series 3 or 5. They are basic but I guess they work. Recall $300-500. Not much to report other than its been a year or three. I got a refurbished HP envy from micro center for me. Had some issues with the touchscreen flickering but seems to have gone away. Maybe a software/driver type problem. Not much to say here other than maybe $500-700 and it works after a year or two. Not much to report on that one either. I appreciate the backlit keys and full keyboard. The touchscreen (flip) is a bit top heavy and I never use as a tablet but I also appreciate the touch screen option. My experience generally with laptops is to look for build quality. The rest seems to flow from that. Ive destroyed several. Oh yeah, I brought to the beach for some work emergency on vacation and sand got in the touchpad and stopped working about week three. Tried canned air and such but couldnt fix. Got a mouse and prefer it that way.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’d have a hard time going back to PC after 10 years on a mac
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Got the ASUS, and happy so far. Everything loads fast and no issues. BestBuy emailed a free Webroot subscription. Is this a decent anti-virus program? Reviews seem OK, but not great. What is anti-virus program do you guys recommend?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Windows? Windows Security Essentials is fine.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:29 pm Got the ASUS, and happy so far. Everything loads fast and no issues. BestBuy emailed a free Webroot subscription. Is this a decent anti-virus program? Reviews seem OK, but not great. What is anti-virus program do you guys recommend?
Echo what Rush said. Don't bother with loading extra anti-virus software. Fwiw, I own an ASUS Zenbook that I run Windows 11 and Linux.
Noli Timere Messorem