Swamp Lawyer Love Requested

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Swamp Lawyer Love Requested

Post by EnochRoot »

This is a little gnarly..

I just got off the phone with my brother...So last night he visited a restaurant in St. Pete, FL and when he went to sit down at the bar, he scooched up his seat and somehow managed to get his left middle finger caught under the seat cushion and chair frame and he wound up losing a significant portion of his fingerprint area in the process. Deep enough where the bone was sticking out. Apparently the seat was loose on the chair.

He was taken to the hospital and he got bandaged up, Rx'd meds, but he needs to go back to get his finger bone ground down so they can close the wound.

He needs to get lawyer'd up, no?
Last edited by EnochRoot on Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Lawyer Love Requested

Post by mister d »

Was enjoying a sandwich.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A finger sandwich?
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:49 pm I just got off the phone with my brother...So last night he visited a restaurant in St. Pete, FL and when he went to sit down at the bar, he scooched up his seat and somehow managed to get his left middle finger caught under the seat cushion and chair frame and he wound up losing a significant portion of his fingerprint area in the process. Deep enough where the bone was sticking out. Apparently the seat was loose on the chair.

He was taken to the hospital and he got bandaged up, Rx'd meds, but he needs to go back to get his finger bone ground down so they can close the wound.

Not at all my area of expertise but it’s probably a good idea for him to speak to a personal injury attorney. Depending on what exactly was wrong with the chair there could be liability issues wrt the restaurant and/or the chair manufacturer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:26 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:49 pm I just got off the phone with my brother...So last night he visited a restaurant in St. Pete, FL and when he went to sit down at the bar, he scooched up his seat and somehow managed to get his left middle finger caught under the seat cushion and chair frame and he wound up losing a significant portion of his fingerprint area in the process. Deep enough where the bone was sticking out. Apparently the seat was loose on the chair.

Not at all my area of expertise but it’s probably a good idea for him to speak to a personal injury attorney. Depending on what exactly was wrong with the chair there could be liability issues wrt the restaurant and/or the chair manufacturer.
He's played guitar his entire life, and he's basically just lost his fretboard middle finger (until he relearns how to play with a smaller finger). The restaurant destroyed the chair before he left for the hospital. I groaned when I heard him tell me that.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yes, definitely needs to see a personal injury attorney. I'm happy to give him my partner's number. We're splitting our firm in a few weeks, but he's a good PI attorney. Knocked down a $30m verdict 2 years ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:20 pm Yes, definitely needs to see a personal injury attorney. I'm happy to give him my partner's number. We're splitting our firm in a few weeks, but he's a good PI attorney. Knocked down a $30m verdict 2 years ago.
Please do.

When I mentioned to him that he needs to consult with an attorney, he said, "Yeah, if it comes to that." That tells me he thinks whoever represents the restaurant (it's actually a pretty well-established brewery in the area), would deal with him fairly if they see he has no legal representation.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As part of the settlement see if he can get them to name a beer after him that comes in at 9.5.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

They destroyed the evidence. if an old woman can sue McDonalds because their coffee is hot AND WIN, then yes he needs to lawyer up.
How long have you been a Black quaterback?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

edwzipper wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm They destroyed the evidence. if an old woman can sue McDonalds because their coffee is hot AND WIN, then yes he needs to lawyer up.
This is besides the point, but the McDonalds coffee lawsuit was not frivolous. I spill coffee on myself all the time, and this has never happened as a result (per Wiki):
Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for three weeks, which was provided by her daughter. Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years
Also, I believe there was evidence presented that McD's intentionally increased the temperature of its coffee so that it could re-use coffee grounds and skimp on costs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:20 pm Yes, definitely needs to see a personal injury attorney. I'm happy to give him my partner's number. We're splitting our firm in a few weeks, but he's a good PI attorney. Knocked down a $30m verdict 2 years ago.
Please do.

When I mentioned to him that he needs to consult with an attorney, he said, "Yeah, if it comes to that." That tells me he thinks whoever represents the restaurant (it's actually a pretty well-established brewery in the area), would deal with him fairly if they see he has no legal representation.
Hahahahahaha. PM'ing my number now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Thanks. I’ll forward that info to him when I speak with him again tomorrow
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Joe K wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:29 pm
edwzipper wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm They destroyed the evidence. if an old woman can sue McDonalds because their coffee is hot AND WIN, then yes he needs to lawyer up.
This is besides the point, but the McDonalds coffee lawsuit was not frivolous. I spill coffee on myself all the time, and this has never happened as a result (per Wiki):
Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent. She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for three weeks, which was provided by her daughter. Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years
Also, I believe there was evidence presented that McD's intentionally increased the temperature of its coffee so that it could re-use coffee grounds and skimp on costs.
Yeah, don't use that McDonald's coffee case as an example of a frivolous lawsuit. It was actually an example of egregious corporate behavior and even worse behavior by the lawyers to put out the story that it was an example of an overly litigious populous.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There's a documentary about it called Hot Coffee. You can find it on YouTube. You can also Google photos of the 3rd degree burns. Do so at your own risk. The incident took place in Albuquerque, oddly enough.

I used to think that it was frivolous, but that's exactly what McDonald's wanted me to think.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

Well Mcfuck me then.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 pm There's a documentary about it called Hot Coffee. You can find it on YouTube. You can also Google photos of the 3rd degree burns. Do so at your own risk. The incident took place in Albuquerque, oddly enough.

I used to think that it was frivolous, but that's exactly what McDonald's wanted me to think.
As I understand it, at the beginning she wasn’t even seeking punitive damages, just her medical care, and McDs balked so she took them to the cleaners.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:12 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 pm There's a documentary about it called Hot Coffee. You can find it on YouTube. You can also Google photos of the 3rd degree burns. Do so at your own risk. The incident took place in Albuquerque, oddly enough.

As I understand it, at the beginning she wasn’t even seeking punitive damages, just her medical care, and McDs balked so she took them to the cleaners.
I know I'm piling on here, but I get angry every time this case is cited. Worst pro-corporate propaganda misinformation ever, and it still gets cited all the time. And I don't mean this as an attack on Zipper, because it is a major cultural story. The worst part is that over 300 courts separately ordered McDonalds to lower the temperature of their coffee because it was well above a safe level. Imagine how many people had to burn themselves for 300 people to go to court and the evidence be so overwhelming that 300 different courts all ordered them to lower the temperature, and they still refused. The court awarded huge punitive damages, because the damages awarded in the other 300 lawsuits weren't enough to make McDonald's care enough to change their coffee temps, prefering to continue endangering their customers and paying lawsuits rather than adjust their coffee makers. The only way to make a giant corporation follow laws is to make it so failing to follow laws is costs more financially than they make by violating the law.

And as mentioned before, the injuries were horrific. We aren't talking minor burns, but skin grafts over a significant portion of her body. We studied this case in law school, and while I don't remember the specifics of the injuries, they were horrendous, but the narrative focused on some whiny litigious bitch seeking a payday for spilling coffee, because duh, of course it will burn. And yes, she was seeking a miniscule amount, and McDonalds tried to bully her into giving up rather than paying an insignificant settlement.

And sorry about your brother, that sounds fucking horrible. Bt not as horrible as Mister D's 9.5 joke. Ha!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
edwzipper
Maude Lebowski

Post by edwzipper »

I am usually not so ignorant. I guess I needed some humility. I don't know everything, just most things.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It took a while for me to get Mr D's 9.5 joke (10 digits/fingers and losing a chunk of one turns him into a beer with a 9.5 AAV?), if that's any consolation.

Or hell, maybe I still don't get it.

At any rate, the next step will be convincing my brother that he's not a litigious monster for threatening a lawsuit. I get the feeling he would be OK with the Brewery saying, "We'll cover all of your medical bills, and free coffee at any of our locations" and he'll think that's satisfactory. I don't think he senses the appropriate level of being wronged. And it's going to drive me insane.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I couldn’t figure out if the % was there to clarify I was playing off ABV or if that would stomp out the joke.