NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: NCAA Football 2019 --> Offseason --> 2020

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:04 pm
You taught at Eldorado? You must know Roy Sanchez then...the basketball coach (3 state titles). I went to High School with him. Great guy.

I saw Jim Everett play in High School...back then Los Alamos HS was in the same division with Eldorado. It was insane how much big/stronger/better he was then everyone else on the field. I swear he stood there in the pocket, with LAHS guys bouncing off him, waving to his receivers as if to say 'No, go deeper, I can throw it further than that'.
I sort of knew him. Had a few conversations with him about students in my classes. Was closer with the baseball coach (who traded state titles with Carlsbad for years) as he was in my department. Crazy how big that school is. I had another teacher in my program at UNM and I saw her outside of staff meetings maybe twice the whole time I was there.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:13 pm Congrats to Texas State on being the first FBS school to finish their season and without a COVID cancellation
#1 at something!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Michigan canceling their game with Ohio state to keep the Buckeyes out of the conference championship game would be hilarious.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm Michigan canceling their game with Ohio state to keep the Buckeyes out of the conference championship game would be hilarious.
I was gonna suggest Michigan might all of the sudden get pretty lax about COVID this week if it meant fucking tOSU out of having enough games to qualify.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, they voluntarily shutdown due to presumptive positive cases. Probably have things sorted by midweek.

It would be a lot more like MI to cancel a winnable game against MD, just to make sure they lose by 1000 points to OSU in 13 days.

Honestly, I was done with them after the 3rd game. I've said it before on here, life is too short to burn nice Fall Saturdays on shitty football teams. I'm absolutely the definition of a fair weather MI football fan at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry you got COVID. Enjoy your 14-hour bus ride home.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:25 pm
Holy Hell. I just looked up the drive. Texas is large, y'all.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Who the fuck drove that bus and did they bother to tell him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Someone in a related Twitter thread said El Paso is closer to LA than it is to Houston. Seems like it's pretty close, at least.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:42 pm Someone in a related Twitter thread said El Paso is closer to LA than it is to Houston. Seems like it's pretty close, at least.
"out in the west texas town of el paso, I fell in love with a Houston gal, but fuck that drive's too long I'm going to Tijuana for a Mexican gal."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, got to see this iconic sign on the way home from North Carolina a couple weeks ago.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:39 pm Who the fuck drove that bus and did they bother to tell him.
Yeah, I was just wondering how many non-infected people were on that bus.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, the thought of the least Big 10 school winning the big ten in a covid era is funny. Those damn liberal city elites! (Sorry, Rutgers may be in new Jersey, but it still sounds like a Big 10 school.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Try this again...

Got to sort of appreciate the ACC seeing that the season is a cluster fuck and just doing whatever needs to be done to give the people what they want.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 pm Try this again...

Got to sort of appreciate the ACC seeing that the season is a cluster fuck and just doing whatever needs to be done to give the people what they want.
Syracuse has been a very good representative of the conference. Not only zero games postponed or canceled, but - fingers crossed - zero positive test results (and they've been testing thrice a week since preseason - the players actually sat out practice a couple days after camp started to get clarification/confirmation about testing and protocols).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This has to be a first.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Herbie had to apologize for making people mad at suggesting Michigan might be little bitches which they are totally gonna be and I am here for it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

He had to apologize because he pulled it straight out of his ass.

And, frankly, shoot this season in the back of the head.

=--=-==

I like Kirk, a lot. He had to move out of Columbus because he dared call out the OSU program for being shady back in the day. That's why what he did yesterday was so weird.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, I mentioned it here and I have seen it on the twitters. It wasn't out of his ass. It was moronic for hi to do it on live TV, though.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sure, people have been saying for weeks (including on MI message boards, btw) that MI should probably take this year off at this point (pick any game after Minnie).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Am I crazy or has COVID possibly exposed more than in a “normal”/longer season which coaches are most competent? I could give a million examples but there’s a reason college coaches especially succeed. Allen and Campbell being two obvious examples.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Alabama on pace to score 90 against LSU.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:53 pm Am I crazy or has COVID possibly exposed more than in a “normal”/longer season which coaches are most competent? I could give a million examples but there’s a reason college coaches especially succeed. Allen and Campbell being two obvious examples.
To the best of my knowledge, Syracuse had zero positive test results this year for their football program. A truckload of other injuries (they had a converted FB/TE start at guard for the first nine games) really helped guide them to their 1-10 final record. So, good job, Dino Babers?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I was surprised to know that UK and Soutch Carolina playing tonight are the only two SEC teams with no disruptions. So that may put the lie to the assumption. I do think the state of Kentucky has been more progressive than most conference teams but South Carolina wasn’t. So it’s a crap shoot.

And Kentucky did have a fair number of COVID cases but were able to not postpone a game.

Eta: also being 4-6 (presumably) with adding alabama and ole miss to the schedule with no cupcakes is not a terrible season for UK. Probably a 7-5 season or so with a normal schedule.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Wyoming’s offense is as bad as Alabama’s offense is good. My two favorite teams are polar opposites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 pm He had to apologize because he pulled it straight out of his ass.

=--=-==

I like Kirk, a lot. He had to move out of Columbus because he dared call out the OSU program for being shady back in the day. That's why what he did yesterday was so weird.
And the game is off.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right, but the idea that Harbaugh was/is trying to duck OSU is bullshit. I'm glad I don't have to suffer through it, but that's just not in his DNA.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm Right, but the idea that Harbaugh was/is trying to duck OSU is bullshit. I'm glad I don't have to suffer through it, but that's just not in his DNA.
You'd also have to assume that players were intentionally getting COVID (or lying about having it), both or which just...naw.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kinda like Coach K had back problems.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Great idea to play this season.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:46 pm He had to apologize because he pulled it straight out of his ass.

=--=-==

And the game is off.
Big Ten will change rules to allow No. 4 Ohio State to play in championship game.

When asked to comment, the Big Ten commissioner said the following:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Washington has suspended all football operations.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sabo wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:13 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 pm

=--=-==

And the game is off.
Big Ten will change rules to allow No. 4 Ohio State to play in championship game.

When asked to comment, the Big Ten commissioner said the following:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
As much as I loved the schaudenfreude of what the Big Ten did to themfuckingselves, this really is the right call.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here's a hot take from not-fan of OSU:

They should tell the B1G to take their championship game and stuff it. They're already sitting at #4. Who is Texas A&M going to play to jump them?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's probably the right call because all they had to do was actually play the game and even if they lost they were heading to the championship game anyway by virtue of head to head. But it is indeed hilarious that the big 10 fucked up so much in their calculations, when their first inclination was probably correct.

And I think if now OSU decided to say fuck it, the commitee would call them cowards and bump up a & m or Florida (If Florida beats Bama, then OSU does NOT want to be on that #4 line.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Florida beats Bama and Clemson beats Notre Dame and those 4 teams are in the playoff. Clemson result is much more likely, obvi.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I truly don't understand the consternation about changing a rule that only exists because rules were changed because of COVID

also, if people want to get worked up about conferences and rules, Colorado is a win away from finishing the regular season 5-0 and missing out on the Pac-12 title game and a Fiesta Bowl berth because USC canceled their game due to COVID
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer