Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am I have seen conflicting reports - has anyone definitively seen it stated that if you have COVID-19 and recover, that you cannot get it again?
I read roughly 6 months of immune defenses after infection in nyt article but it references below that I haven't read
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm pulling this completely out of my ass, but I feel like diseases that you can only get once are easier to create a vaccine for, so I say no.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:28 am ...in...my ass...I...like d.s...you can only get on.e...in...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am I have seen conflicting reports - has anyone definitively seen it stated that if you have COVID-19 and recover, that you cannot get it again?
I read roughly 6 months of immune defenses after infection in nyt article but it references below that I haven't read
Thanks. And also, damn.

Here's a good article in The Atlantic with the relevant question of...so, what do you do if you start getting a cough / fever?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... us/607759/
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Looks like my county schools are sending kids home Friday with instructional packets/online access instructions and will be out until after spring break in three weeks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fairfax (huge system) is closing on Monday so teachers can get ready to do online stuff.

Pretty smart.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

-Most of the NJ colleges are closing down (online classes only) for 2-3 weeks at least.
-CCD at the church my wife and kids attend has been canceled indefinitely
-CYO basketball playoffs are still a go, though
-Spring soccer is still on
-The school district sent out a letter that at least made it sound like they have their shit together, which low bar or not is pretty reassuring these days. I liked that they included a plan to attempt to still provide breakfast and lunch for eligible kids.
-County St Pats parade is still on for Saturday. As is our party at our house based around the parade.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Former head of the CDC absolutely ripping the President and the administration for lack of cohesiveness and directives about gathering large groups of people. Should outright be saying no gatherings of groups above xx amount.

Shit, that case in Boston that produced 70 infections only had 175 people in attendance.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is a good/interesting point. With the federal government not taking the lead here, will we see more COVID-19 cases in red states if the leaders there defer to Trump.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Downtown Saint Louis is absolutely deserted. This is eerie for a Wednesday afternoon around lunch.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo canceled not even halfway through. Pretty huge deal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am-The school district sent out a letter that at least made it sound like they have their shit together, which low bar or not is pretty reassuring these days. I liked that they included a plan to attempt to still provide breakfast and lunch for eligible kids.
Forward this to me? Curious to see if they're sharing ideas inside the county.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Our elementary school is sending out requests for information to see if we have devices at home for potential remote learning. Spring break starts next week, two weeks for our school, one for most of the rest of the district. Rumor going around is they may extend spring break to be 3 weeks.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:15 am Fairfax (huge system) is closing on Monday so teachers can get ready to do online stuff.

Pretty smart.
Yeah practices and games are still on that day. However, I lost the game I was supposed to Ref on Friday because the team from New York is not coming down. Also St. Albans (DC) just canned their game against IMG academy (Florida) for this afternoon and put the whole school on Spring Break through the 27th.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

phxgators wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:16 pm Our elementary school is sending out requests for information to see if we have devices at home for potential remote learning. Spring break starts next week, two weeks for our school, one for most of the rest of the district. Rumor going around is they may extend spring break to be 3 weeks.
Just got the same email from our elementary school in Fairfax Co. Basically if you need a device, we have some to lend too.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Really struggled with sending the kids to school this am. Almost pulled the plug but the girl started crying about 3 tests and what not. They really wanted to go and that warmed my heart so I relented. Had to get my shit together at the office anyway and forward calls, workout remote payments, mail, etc. Guys are rightfully pissed about me bailing on hearings. Will see what the judges have to say. Just feel like this is coming next week so might as well get a head start.

The boy is apparently going to use the Zoom app to do face time type remote learning. Made him clear out his locker and bring home all books yesterday. The girls school is somewhat less financially flush but im sure they will try something like the same.

Really need some guidance and nowhere to be found. Kid played baseball last night and girl had a track meet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What's not being talked about enough is what the epidemiologists are pointing to in terms of timing. They are saying that urban or early incident areas in the US are about 9 days behind Italy. Someone posted earlier the way the exponential growth is occurring.

So, yeah, sometime later next week, this is going to get very very real. It's too late to really stop it from spreading a pretty significant amount, but if we start social distancing now, we can keep it from reaching ridiculous levels.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... pGuRi7fcd0

WH ordered many coronavirus meetings classified, which kept many experts out of the discussion.

Fucking morons.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pm https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... pGuRi7fcd0

WH ordered many coronavirus meetings classified, which kept many experts out of the discussion.

Fucking morons.
That is criminal
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pmWH ordered many coronavirus meetings classified, which kept many experts out of the discussion.
Wonder if this will directly kill more Americans than Benghazi.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Of course they're considering the strategic benefits of a pandemic during elections.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:38 pm https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... pGuRi7fcd0

Fucking morons.
Aye. Criminal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:35 pm What's not being talked about enough is what the epidemiologists are pointing to in terms of timing. They are saying that urban or early incident areas in the US are about 9 days behind Italy. Someone posted earlier the way the exponential growth is occurring.

So, yeah, sometime later next week, this is going to get very very real. It's too late to really stop it from spreading a pretty significant amount, but if we start social distancing now, we can keep it from reaching ridiculous levels.
If Trump were a real leader, he would explain that the goal at this point has to be for us to use social distancing as a means so as not to overwhelm the health care system. If we can control the number of cases over a longer timeline, then the health care system will be kept from being overwhelmed. If the health care system can't end up handling the number of cases, it's going to get worse much faster and kill more people eventually.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Such a simple statement - but he's too invested in his Fox News created reality to be real. People are going to die because of it.

Also, I am jealous of you all with mayors in big cities who are being aggressive and proactive. Our mayoral situation in Baltimore remains...sub-optimal.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

If only we had a competent govt.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well, CU is online classes for the duration of the semester and we're if we can work from home, work from home for the duration.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gov. Inslee is making the big decisions....

I listened to some of his press conference. He rather pointedly talked about discussions with the Vice President. Did not mention anything about Trump or the Presidents office at all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Governor Hogan did him one better, talked about coordinating with the VEEP's efforts and pointedly called out Trump for unhelpful misinformation.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Dear lord I hope that is wrong.

Selfishly, a big year is ahead in my house - HS graduation, going to college for Quinn. Now wondering if they come back to class at all - will there be a graduation ceremony - will colleges resume come the fall...those kinds of thoughts. Which, I get it, are completely selfish.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If that’s right that would be about 500K (at best) to 2.5M dead (at worst).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm Dear lord I hope that is wrong.

Selfishly, a big year as ahead in my house - HS graduation, going to college for Quinn. Now wondering if they come back to class at all - will there be a graduation ceremony - will colleges resume come the fall...those kinds of thoughts. Which, I get it, are completely selfish.
Completely natural to think that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Audrey is supposed to be going on a class trip to DC Sunday to Saturday. It's an awesome trip but she's going to be with groups of people everywhere from all over the world. If she so much as gets a fever, they have to quarantine her and not allow her to travel back. Why, ffs have they not canceled this trip?

I don't think we're going to let her go but I'm waiting until Friday to tell her, hoping they come to their senses.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

image.png
image.png (90.1 KiB) Viewed 470 times
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The schools here canceled out of state field trips, but have not yet enacted the plan that was rumored that I mentioned earlier.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:10 pm image.png
That's pretty great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

February 10: Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus "dies with the hotter weather"
February 24: Trump baselessly claims the situation is "under control"
February 25: A senior White House official falsely claims the virus has been "contained"
February 25: Trump falsely claims Ebola mortality was "a virtual 100%"
February 25: Trump falsely claims "nobody had ever even heard of Ebola" in 2014
February 26: Trump wrongly says the coronavirus "is a flu"
February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is "going very substantially down" to "close to zero"
February 26: Trump wrongly says the flu death rate is "much higher" than Dr. Sanjay Gupta said
February 26 coronavirus press conference
February 27: Trump baselessly hints at a "miracle"
February 28: Trump baselessly hints at an immigration link to the virus
February 29: Trump exaggerates Tim Cook's comments about Apple and China
March 1: Azar wrongly says 3,600 people have been tested
March 2: Trump falsely claims "nobody knew" the number of US flu deaths
March 2: Trump says a vaccine is coming "relatively soon"
March 4: Trump falsely claims Obama impeded testing
March 4: Trump wrongly says as many as 100,000 people died of the flu in 1990
March 4: Trump says "the borders are automatically shut down"
March 4: Trump says he believes there was a coronavirus death in New York, though there hadn't been one
March 4: Trump falsely claims the Obama administration "didn't do anything" about H1N1
March 5: Trump misleadingly describes a Gallup poll
March 5: Trump wrongly claims the virus only hit the US "three weeks ago"
March 6: Azar wrongly claims there is no test shortage
March 6: As the number of cases and deaths in Italy rises, Trump says the number is "getting much better"
March 6: Trump falsely claims anybody can get tested if they want
March 6: Trump exaggerates the number of people on the Grand Princess cruise ship
March 6: Trump falsely says US coronavirus numbers "are lower than just about anybody"
March 6: Trump baselessly muses that "maybe" the coronavirus improved US jobs numbers
March 9: Pence says Trump's "priority" was getting Americans off the ship
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just had a DR test scheduled for this weekend rescheduled til June due to this. Um....