Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

They put this off as long as they could...

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sounders v. FC Dallas postponed. This game was set for 3/21
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:54 pm
Why wont they tell us this? If so, im a lot less worried about sending the kids to school because theyre likely to get it anyway. I know unknowns but communication has been shit. Been looking to you guys as much as anything.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My sister does health care policy for the House (way and means). Have not called her to ask her what inside information she has. Need to do that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Welp, here we go. It just gets crazier in Vegas at this point. As a reminder, the busiest weekend of the year in Las Vegas is the first weekend of March Madness.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:59 pm Welp, here we go. It just gets crazier in Vegas at this point. As a reminder, the busiest weekend of the year in Las Vegas is the first weekend of March Madness.
My daughter was just saying that if we don't go to Florida, she hopes we go down to Vegas.

Yeah, no.

On a more selfish note, I wonder if this means there will be more people taking camping trips to the desert this year.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Why wont they tell us this? If so, im a lot less worried about sending the kids to school because theyre likely to get it anyway. I know unknowns but communication has been shit. Been looking to you guys as much as anything.
Maybe because, god forbid, that the lower of that range the death count is somewhere around half a million give or take...and the potential collapse of our hospital system as they don't have remotely the beds and carrying capacity at those numbers and they don't want people to know that.
Last edited by tennbengal on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...I've been waiting to mention this because I figured you all would dunk on me, but given the Bengals have given me so little to get excited about over five decades and given how hopeful things might feel with Burrow arriving, I used points in late January and bought plane tickets and got a room just off the strip for the NFL draft so I could be one of the idiots at the draft. Figured I would also get two full days of playing poker tournaments and maybe see DTW while I was at it.

That is looking...like it's not gonna happen. Genuine hope for me as a Bengals fan, and...presto, pandemic. I've heard similar gallows humor from Rutgers BB fans. And Dayton Flyer fans who were looking forward to seeing them as a 1-seed in Cleveland.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ivy league just cancelled spring sports.
For lacrosse Cornell ranked #2, Princeton #3, Yale #6, Penn #12
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm
Maybe because, god forbid, that the lower of that range the death count is somewhere around half a million give or take...and the potential collapse of our hospital system as they don't have remotely the beds and carrying capacity at those numbers and they don't want people to know that.
But how the fuck, even considering that China's numbers are probably suppressed, can we be that bad off that 70 million people might get it?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

China is a communist government that can enforce quarantine at the point of a bayonet if need be.

(It also has socialized medicine.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:07 pm So...I've been waiting to mention this because I figured you all would dunk on me, but given the Bengals have given me so little to get excited about over five decades and given how hopeful things might feel with Burrow arriving, I used points in late January and bought plane tickets and got a room just off the strip for the NFL draft so I could be one of the idiots at the draft. Figured I would also get two full days of playing poker tournaments and maybe see DTW while I was at it.

That is looking...like it's not gonna happen. Genuine hope for me as a Bengals fan, and...presto, pandemic. I've heard similar gallows humor from Rutgers BB fans. And Dayton Flyer fans who were looking forward to seeing them as a 1-seed in Cleveland.
If the draft still goes off as a public event (and I don't believe it will) you're welcome to stay at my place if you want.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:21 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:07 pm So...I've been waiting to mention this because I figured you all would dunk on me, but given the Bengals have given me so little to get excited about over five decades and given how hopeful things might feel with Burrow arriving, I used points in late January and bought plane tickets and got a room just off the strip for the NFL draft so I could be one of the idiots at the draft. Figured I would also get two full days of playing poker tournaments and maybe see DTW while I was at it.

If the draft still goes off as a public event (and I don't believe it will) you're welcome to stay at my place if you want.
You're the best - I wouldn't want to impose but was really looking forward to some beers and what not. Still holding out the slimmest of hope. Was doing this trip as a turning 50 this year treat. Ah well.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:16 pm
But how the fuck, even considering that China's numbers are probably suppressed, can we be that bad off that 70 million people might get it?
Shitty healthcare, not enough testing, no paid leave, a government that is hiding the truth from the pubic. It's a perfect storm really.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Bengal can have little a COVID-19, as a treat.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm Bengal can have little a COVID-19, as a treat.
Not sure what I expected at year 50 - but this is probably right.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Will the networks be adding fake crowd noise when they broadcast games with empty stadiums? Because I can't imagine it's much fun to watch March Madness without crowd noise.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20 pm China is a communist government that can enforce quarantine at the point of a bayonet if need be.

(It also has socialized medicine.)
By virtue of its authoritarian nature, China also had extensive population surveillance methods in place that allowed it to keep a very close watch on where the virus might spread. The extent to which the Chinese government used commonly used phone aps to track its citizens is pretty remarkable. Also, China built two new hospitals in Wuhan from scratch in less than week. Again, much easier to do when you have an authoritarian regime that already has really tight control over the economy.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Really excited of the hubris associated with the project I am working on (not my company's, as you will see). My boss, who is a great person (no sarcasm, I owe my career to him), has us working on a plan to be ready to get about 45 people home from the Bay Area if they close airports.

I am looking forward to my eventual part as a "school bus driver", dropping co-workers off in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Madison, WI on the way across the country.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This is an interesting article that uses a lot of data and math to show how valuable social distancing can be. And the cost of not doing it, or even delaying it by one day.

He does take a few leaps of logic in there, but most of it held up to me.

Totally Kafkaesque
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

phxgators wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:34 pm Shitty healthcare, not enough testing, no paid leave, a government that is hiding the truth from the pubic. It's a perfect storm really.
Also assclowns like this being able to reach masses of stupid people, including the president.
image.png
image.png (80.64 KiB) Viewed 606 times
There's a whole thread of terrifying right-wing talking points here, if you can stomach it: https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We are so doomed...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pm Really excited of the hubris associated with the project I am working on (not my company's, as you will see). My boss, who is a great person (no sarcasm, I owe my career to him), has us working on a plan to be ready to get about 45 people home from the Bay Area if they close airports.

I am looking forward to my eventual part as a "school bus driver", dropping co-workers off in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Madison, WI on the way across the country.
Lol. My wife is to move from hr to keeping a branch open if the shit hits the fan. That branch will be plenty closed but apparently the fdic(?) wants continuity plans.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pmI am looking forward to my eventual part as a "school bus driver", dropping co-workers off in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Madison, WI on the way across the country.
That would seem kinda run right now if instead of a school bus full of adults, it was your own car and solo.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Doomed...doomed...doomed...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

None of the schools around here have announced any shutdown plans. But the U of Utah is on spring break right now, meaning that plenty of folks are off traveling somewhere and will be bringing their germs back with them next week. So I think it's time.

Utah just announced its third case. All three cases involved people traveling overseas.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We've gone from 17 to 33 cases (so far) today in Colorado. Including an airport employee.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

phxgators wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:48 pm We've gone from 17 to 33 cases (so far) today in Colorado. Including an airport employee.
Time to set up the roadblocks.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My kids school (she's in a different district than Seattle) just announced their closure.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Today, my school system closed all extra curricular programming but is keeping after school programs open (for now). When they close us down, I don't know what will happen with tuition payments and employees getting paid -- after school workers aren't the type of people that can miss many pay checks.

Tons of high school musicals and concerts are being cancelled. In my hometown, opening night was supposed to be tonight and they announced the cancellation last night at dress rehearsal.

Of course we keep hearing about the importance of hand washing. Problem is last May we were cited for using our only sink on the floor for hand washing and dish washing. The action plan was to get a dual basin sink so we could have a hand washing sink and a dish washing sink. 8 months later, and the work order we put in to the school system has not been completed. Therefore, our kindergartners and fifth graders wash their hands in the bathroom (unsupervised), then walk through three doorways and down steps before eating lunch and snack. I can leave out hand sanitizer for the older students in their room, but needless to say, hands are not very clean by the time they eat.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, sports fans are something. Read the comments section on any facebook post or news story about a sporting event/game or fan attendance being cancelled, and it seems like the overwhelming response is that this is overblown/panic/politically driven/just like the flu/trending downward/etc., ad nauseam. The amount of denial is staggering.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

How does India only have 60 cases? I know they shut off travel to China pretty early.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 pm Man, sports fans are something. Read the comments section on any facebook post or news story about a sporting event/game or fan attendance being cancelled, and it seems like the overwhelming response is that this is overblown/panic/politically driven/just like the flu/trending downward/etc., ad nauseam. The amount of denial is staggering.
Yeah...I saw that yesterday on twitter in the responses to a story about the Ohio Gov saying there shouldn't be fans in attendance at the First Four games. People were going bananas, saying 'Let people make their own decisions!'.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 pm Man, sports fans are something. Read the comments section on any facebook post or news story about a sporting event/game or fan attendance being cancelled, and it seems like the overwhelming response is that this is overblown/panic/politically driven/just like the flu/trending downward/etc., ad nauseam. The amount of denial is staggering.
Probably Trump supporters/Fox News viewers. I’m not kidding. It would be a weird public service if this killed mostly them
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had to throw out to my mom after she sent a text about fear mongering that I really hope she stops listening to Fox News cause she's more likely to get it and die than any of us. Also, my wife works for one of the most respected hospitals in the world and they're taking this shit quite seriously, so believe that or believe Sean fucking Hannity.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pm Really excited of the hubris associated with the project I am working on (not my company's, as you will see). My boss, who is a great person (no sarcasm, I owe my career to him), has us working on a plan to be ready to get about 45 people home from the Bay Area if they close airports.

That smells like a screenplay coming...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:58 pm
Yeah...I saw that yesterday on twitter in the responses to a story about the Ohio Gov saying there shouldn't be fans in attendance at the First Four games. People were going bananas, saying 'Let people make their own decisions!'.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 pmToday, my school system closed all extra curricular programming but is keeping after school programs open (for now). When they close us down, I don't know what will happen with tuition payments and employees getting paid -- after school workers aren't the type of people that can miss many pay checks.
I have to assume our daycare and in-school aftercare payments would continue as usual but also assume that a certain subset of parents, without any correlation to their ability to afford, will flip out about "paying for nothing".
Last edited by mister d on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There were tons of DU parents on a Facebook forum downplaying this, talking about how it's going to ruin their kids senior year, these are youngsters and not at risk (wtf?!), and on and on.

People are fucking stupid, man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.