Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 am Hot take: I think Trump has the virus. He's obviously terribly out of shape and not at all comfortable reading off a teleprompter, but dang he was breathing heavily during the speech.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Big Ten cancelled their tourney.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Had a discussion with my team this morning.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:17 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:01 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am so..did anyone else wake up at 3am totally freaked out? Just me?
Yes.
I'm not worried about my commitment to being clean/isolated/doing my part. I'm worried about all the other people out there, like the guy who flew on the JetBlue flight knowingly with the virus. what the fuck, man?
I have to decide whether I should push to shut down my law firm. Right now, I don't think so. We're a small firm, we aren't closely packed, and the employees don't have to take crowded trains or buses to get to work. So I can live with myself for not pushing for closure yet. But who knows what the next few weeks will bring.
I've pretty much decided we're going remote starting Monday but there's only 4 of us. Incoming mail is going to be an issue. I'm pretty much following the schools and I got an email around 10 last night that they're going remote on Tuesday with teachers only on Monday. So I'll follow. Community spread is here though. I'm about 3 miles from the school that was shuttered earlier this week.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tom Cotton implied on the Senate floor today that the virus was bio-engineered by China. This seems to be alluded to by Trump at various times calling it a "foreign" virus. Just exceptionally dangerous language (and it beggars belief that China would engineer this and then release it within its own borders first).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am Am I the only one who feels like people are putting too much stock into the assumption that all the current restrictions, suspensions, etc. are only going to last as long as they're currently saying?
Not at all, but I imagine you get buy-in by making it seem more temporary than it will be.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... rc=nl_most

Fucking shit, man.

"Coronavirus burial pits so vast they’re visible from space"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

"Visible from space" is the dumbest fucking phrase.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Just found out that a guy I work with...on my agile team (so we meet in a small room every morning)....has been diagnosed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:22 am
degenerasian wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:51 am People selling all their investments seems crazy to me. Or am I the crazy one?

I'm still holding for now. I'm down about 10% on my RRSP (401K)

I could even buy a little more if the DOW goes under 20K. How about you guys?
Nah man. I had to take some profits a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I'm still in the majority of my positions but I made so much money over the past ten years, I couldnt afford not to turn paper profits into real cash. Problem will come April 15 next year.
Well you can offset your expected capital gains by waiting a month and selling the rest of your stocks for big losses.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pmI am looking forward to my eventual part as a "school bus driver", dropping co-workers off in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Madison, WI on the way across the country.
That would seem kinda run right now if instead of a school bus full of adults, it was your own car and solo.
It would be rental van or SUV and I like all four passengers in this scenario, but yes, much more appealing in my own car solo.

No, Bengal. No screenplay.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think I just got the last toilet paper at Publix. And nobody fought me for it on the way out. So there is hope.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife is very environmentally conscious and found out about an Australian company (with U.S. branches) that makes toilet paper that is much more eco-friendly than American brands. So, she buys it by the case. Kind of happy now that we have a big fucking case of it in the closet.

https://us.whogivesacrap.org

ETA: And, now I see that they have also now run out of stock!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 am Just found out that a guy I work with...on my agile team (so we meet in a small room every morning)....has been diagnosed.
Well that sucks. Straight to self-quarantine for you then?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am
mister d wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 pmI am looking forward to my eventual part as a "school bus driver", dropping co-workers off in Salt Lake City, Minneapolis, and Madison, WI on the way across the country.
That would seem kinda run right now if instead of a school bus full of adults, it was your own car and solo.
It would be rental van or SUV and I like all four passengers in this scenario, but yes, much more appealing in my own car solo.

No, Bengal. No screenplay.
Damn. Gotta makes those phat stacks, DSafe, when you can. Lemons into lemonade and all that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I assume most of you all saw this threaded tweet storm for a public policy health expert/doctor who wrote in the NY Times today, but if not here it is - click through to the threaded tweets:

If you are having to deal with morons or Trumpies at work or on facebook or in your family about exactly why this is more of an issue than the flu, he boils it down...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't even imagine what level of nihilism I'd be at right now if I didn't have kids.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 am I'm one of 13 employees. Half-hour from Boston, so the small New Hampshire numbers mean nothing to me.

We hold 1-2 meetings a week with anywhere from 8-30 attendees. Our manager has been working on a plan, but was vocally downplaying the situation (the flu comparison, etc). This was at a staff meeting 3 days ago and we haven't been updated since. I think it's really socially irresponsible and if nothing happens before Monday, I'm probably making the call myself. Tough situation to be in as an employee. If you can at all factor that in, you should.

What I keep thinking about is what if things around get worse, but not markedly worse in this immediate area, and the office remains open. So I stay home for a while and then come back with zero guarantee that the day before I came back, nobody had walked into my conference room with a slight cough. It has to happen together and it's not.
A couple of the other partners just brought up the idea of preparing folks for working at home. So if someone else is going to start, I figure that gives me license to push hard for it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm I can't even imagine what level of nihilism I'd be at right now if I didn't have kids.
Can you take any comfort in the fact that so far kids seem to be resistant to it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, not worried about their direct health, more about what everything looks like in 2 months.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

But seriously, where are the tests?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm I can't even imagine what level of nihilism I'd be at right now if I didn't have kids.
I dunno. I don't really feel that way. I feel a lot of things, but mostly pretty good that in the absence of federal leadership that the sports leagues and various city and state governments are taking a leadership position. I'm not psyched about more or less being stuck at home for at least a couple of weeks probably, but I have plenty of books and stuff to watch.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:07 pm
I dunno. I don't really feel that way. I feel a lot of things, but mostly pretty good that in the absence of federal leadership that the sports leagues and various city and state governments are taking a leadership position. I'm not psyched about more or less being stuck at home for at least a couple of weeks probably, but I have plenty of books and stuff to watch.
Lately I have watched my books more than actually read them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm Yeah, not worried about their direct health, more about what everything looks like in 2 months.
Yeah.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:52 pm But seriously, where are the tests?
We've done as many tests as South Korea administers every single day.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rex wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:43 am I think I just got the last toilet paper at Publix. And nobody fought me for it on the way out. So there is hope.
I just came back from Costco and they were sold out of toilet paper. Plenty of water available, though.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brazil's fascist leader tests positive. Was just with Trump last weekend.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God I need this so bad.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As of now our school district is still open. The school play the girls are involved with that was set for this weekend has been postponed.

Also reports of the first case in town. The owner of a business (office, not food related) who lives in NYC.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am Am I the only one who feels like people are putting too much stock into the assumption that all the current restrictions, suspensions, etc. are only going to last as long as they're currently saying?
People are putting stock in it? I just assumed its a date to revisit whether to resume.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Deep state is really pulling out all the stops, what with getting all the sports leagues to cancel and everything.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm God I need this so bad.
I know, right? If Tom Hanks and Donovan Mitchell get corona and Matt Gaetz and Donald Trump don't, WTF.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not to worry!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our schools are going to a 1/2 day schedule until further notice. Seems 1/2 assed?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 pm Our schools are going to a 1/2 day schedule until further notice. Seems 1/2 assed?
That's... a unique approach.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maybe everyone will get half as sick.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:06 pm
rass wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:01 pm Our schools are going to a 1/2 day schedule until further notice. Seems 1/2 assed?
That's... a unique approach.
Jesus I hate early dismisals and delays way more than a day off. Fucks up the entire schedule.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.