Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sucks man. Vegas has to be feeling it harder than most. Orlando maybe?
elflaco3
Jackie Treehorn

Post by elflaco3 »

have spent(continue to spend) all my days (early and well into the night) working with various teams across our work org on planning and response. easily the most frustrating thing is over and over have to resis the urge to tell those above.. i told you so! no point in pulling out the proposals and decks showing why investment needed to be made earlier..
but i digress. plenty of wine and whiskey at home and we're stocked anyway (sop here) for a couple of weeks.. but the missus decided to venture out to costco yesterday .. don't ask me why...so guess now stocked up for a month+
driving through town last night at 8.. we've a pretty happening main street strip -- there was no one... a handful of cars parked.. several restaurants have already closed for the month and gone on vaca..
i live on a corner with a stop light -- its been eerily quiet today, even for a day w no school.
back to skype and Teams!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm I'm wondering, and I haven't done any searching so I'm kind of asking a lazy question, have there been cases where people got sick, tested positive, was put on meds and monitored, and then recovered? I see the doom and gloom, but has there been any positivity?
Yes, plenty. Follow AB's link above - shows total recoveries along with total cases and deaths.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6
Italy, Iran and South Korea have disappeared from the dataset.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My wife is working from home anyway, but she woke up with what seems like the early stages of a cold.

Going to take her temperature, but she's a bit of a hypochondriac at the best of times.

On a scale of 1-10 my level of concern is 3 tops. But this is going to be a shitty weekend.

But on the bright side, my recent anxiety issues mean that I have a bottle of ativan at my disposal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't know what this thread title means and I don't know why TB changed it. It's like, "Let's take the thing everyone is talking about and make it an inside joke between like 3 people."
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 am I don't know what this thread title means and I don't know why TB changed it. It's like, "Let's take the thing everyone is talking about and make it an inside joke between like 3 people."
I don't get the comment/joke either, but I still manage to get through my day without having to complain about it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

South Korea publishes daily tables of people tested, confirmed cases, negatives, deaths and recoveries, with regional detail:

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mi ... 0&bid=0030

Some things to note from this: First, the South Koreans are not testing everybody or anything close to that. Their testing is surely the best in the world, but even they are *only* testing about 15K people a day in a country of 50 million. Second, the vast, vast majority of people are testing negative. It looks to me like about 4 percent of those tested become confirmed cases. I don't know what their protocol is for getting tested, but you would think that the population of people being tested is more likely to have the virus/at higher risk than the general population.

Some of the releases even drill down to the epidemiological links that have been discovered so far, like this one:
"Shincheonji" is the wacky church that's still responsible for more than half of the confirmed cases.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not sure how to direct link to individual releases, but look at the March 11 release for an example of the epidemiological links.
Last edited by Rex on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 am I don't know what this thread title means and I don't know why TB changed it. It's like, "Let's take the thing everyone is talking about and make it an inside joke between like 3 people."
Captain Trips is the name of the virus that kills 99% of humanity in Stephen King's The Stand. There's some supernatural elements to that story.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

and we are work from home starting on Monday....good bye pants and hello playoff beard(note: make sure camera is chest up).
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:53 am
Captain Trips is the name of the virus that kills 99% of humanity in Stephen King's The Stand. There's some supernatural elements to that story.
I didn't know what it meant earlier either, but I did have access to Google.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:50 am South Korea publishes daily tables of people tested, confirmed cases, negatives, deaths and recoveries, with regional detail:

Some things to note from this: First, the South Koreans are not testing everybody or anything close to that. Their testing is surely the best in the world, but even they are *only* testing about 15K people a day in a country of 50 million. Second, the vast, vast majority of people are testing negative. It looks to me like about 4 percent of those tested become confirmed cases. I don't know what their protocol is for getting tested, but you would think that the population of people being tested is more likely to have the virus/at higher risk than the general population.

Some of the releases even drill down to the epidemiological links that have been discovered so far, like this one:
"Shincheonji" is the wacky church that's still responsible for more than half of the confirmed cases.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not sure how to direct link to individual releases, but look at the March 11 release for an example of the epidemiological links.
this is a bad analogy, but COVID-19 testing feels a little bit like CTE testing (granted CTE tests are only posthumous). If you're getting tested, there's probably a higher likelihood than normal that you have it. But there's also the safe assumption that there are lots of other people without the strong symptoms and signs that also have lesser versions of it and don't know about it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sabo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:50 am
I don't get the comment/joke either, but I still manage to get through my day without having to complain about it.
And I'm glad that gives you a sense of superiority. You need that right now.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You should read it. Great book. Parts of it will probably be pretty damn eerie based on the last couple of weeks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Alright, I will read it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Basically the testing is critical to getting people (and especially hospitals) accurate information about who has the virus, and that's why the lack of availability is scandalous. But testing is not what's going to stop the virus--the only thing that will do that is everybody shutting it down for a while. If you're sick, stay at home and don't come into contact with anybody. If you're feeling well, stay at home and don't come into contact with anybody. If you truly have no choice because of your job, then try to do it with as little human contact as possible. Everything else is a half-measure.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:08 am
You should read it. Great book. Parts of it will probably be pretty damn eerie based on the last couple of weeks.
I think I'll wait a few months before reading it. But I would recommend Last Man on Earth for a whimsical take on post-apocalyptic life.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There was supposed to be a TV series based on The Stand coming out on CBS All-Access this year. If I were the producers and CBS I'd be figured out a way to rush that to air.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Everyone's complaining about the Jazz getting 58 people tested when all I want to know is how many of them came up positive.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Read it many years ago. Good one to pickup for a month long sequester. Damn thing could hold back a vault door.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am Everyone's complaining about the Jazz getting 58 people tested when all I want to know is how many of them came up positive.
They said that only two came back positive - Gobert and Mitchell.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:32 am
Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:33 am Everyone's complaining about the Jazz getting 58 people tested when all I want to know is how many of them came up positive.
How is that possible? These guys were on a long road trip together, shared plane and bus trips, share a locker room, share a practice facility, sweat all over each other, high five and grab each other all the time, and some have reported that Gobert is, um, a bit handsy. If they are properly following up and retesting and it turns out to be just 2 out of 58, this seems like a valuable and unexpected data point.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:32 am
How is that possible? These guys were on a long road trip together, shared plane and bus trips, share a locker room, share a practice facility, sweat all over each other, high five and grab each other all the time, and some have reported that Gobert is, um, a bit handsy. If they are properly following up and retesting and it turns out to be just 2 out of 58, this seems like a valuable and unexpected data point.
Do you think it is possible that non-players came back positive, but they're not publicly announcing that due to privacy concerns? They pretty much were forced to announce Gobert was positive and maybe they got Mitchell to agree to it being released because they wanted to announce someone else. Beyond that, they may be protecting the identities of other team employees who are not in the public eye while turning info over to CDC, etc. If they announced the true number of 58 were positive, it could cause some degree of panic among the general population.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Yes, that's what I would assume. I don't personally need to know, but it's an important data point for people who are smart enough to actually use it.

Also, Steve's post did say "They said that only two came back positive". I don't know if he meant that, but that's a big difference from withholding other positives for privacy reasons.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:41 am Yes, that's what I would assume. I don't personally need to know, but it's an important data point for people who are smart enough to actually use it.

Also, Steve's post did say "They said that only two came back positive". I don't know if he meant that, but that's a big difference from withholding other positives for privacy reasons.
All I know is what the team publicly reported. I don't think privacy concerns would require them to say that people tested negative if they didn't - as long as they aren't using names, they could report positive tests. Though it's also possible they lied to make themselves (or Rudy) look less bad.

Is it possible that others haven't tested positive because the virus hasn't manifested itself yet? Like if Gobert or Mitchell were only recently exposed?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jen’s got bronchitis allegedly. She’s been legit sick for nine days - went a week ago Monday to our PCP and was rushed out as “simply viral”. They didn’t even give her a note to miss work (she is back in the classroom now as a teacher in a baltimore city school). The fever never broke and she got to feeling worse , so went to a doc in the box Wednesday and they were the ones to say bronchitis and gave her an Rx for antibiotics. We think she is responding to them, which means it’s not the covid if so, but the entire sequence of care has been appalling.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, Utah. How many more, man?

ETA or "How many more men?" hmmm
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma - it’s a great book - I assumed for most folks even if they haven’t read it that it had crossed over to a pretty well known pop cultural reference. Also, “that virus thingy” seemed a little too cavalier given where this has gone.

But I have made note of your concerns.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 am
Yeah, Utah. How many more, man?

ETA or "How many more men?" hmmm
Bring 'em young! Bring 'em young!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Now that they officially called school of for three weeks (third is spring break) I decided to venture to the grocery store to get some essentials to have on hand. Madhouse. So crowded. No sanitzer or clorox wipes/spray. TP inventory low. Lots of frozen foods in low supply.

My state has 10 cases at the moment.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:25 pm Now that they officially called school of for three weeks (third is spring break) I decided to venture to the grocery store to get some essentials to have on hand. Madhouse. So crowded. No sanitzer or clorox wipes/spray. TP inventory low. Lots of frozen foods in low supply.

My state has 10 cases at the moment.
I went yesterday and it wasn't too bad. They even had water. Surprisingly, the only staples that were low or out were dry rice and ramen noodles.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If I were to have changed the thread title, I would've went "Wuhan! Got you all in check." I haven't read The Stand.

(Fully aware that title defeats the propose of changing it in the first place.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So holding the press conference at 3 before the markets close is monumentally stupid.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm So holding the press conference at 3 before the markets close is monumentally stupid.
Not if you are announcing Mission Accomplished!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm So holding the press conference at 3 before the markets close is monumentally stupid.
Right? I think he was thinking this was a chance to do this and point to the markets bouncing afterwards as how smart and awesome he is, but looks like it might have the opposite effect, especially with the markets up so much today.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dow down 300 points since Trump presser started.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not watching. Is he coughing? Does the Dow spike up whenever he does?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I honestly seldom watch him speak because I get pissed. He’s so fucking stupid
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Coworker just said that same thing more or less word for word.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dow up 600 since people other than Trump started talking.