Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh...just the President inciting civil unrest during a pandemic...nothing to worry about...

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DiS, I stole your line for my twitter post. Sorry.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am For some good news, my wife's hospital system celebrated discharging their 1000th patient hospitalized for COVID-19 yesterday. Not sure how many inpatient COVID cases they've had, but nobody projected this many discharges this early. Most of the patients were in severe shape, otherwise they wouldn't have been hospitalized. I know the expectation is that 80% of patients on ventilators will die. There have been some patients successfully extubated, don't know if any of them have been released yet.

Every COVID patient who gets discharged gets clapped out by a line of doctors and nurses. My wife was showing us some of the clapout videos, and I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. The first discharged patients at one of the hospitals had a parade with police cars, firetrucks and ambulances from numerous towns driving around the circle outside the front doors. Lights, sirens and horns going. Absolutely surreal what the world has turned into. This is seriously out of a horror movie.
That's quite shocking. I guess it shouldn't be but I thought many of those folks were pulling through.

Also they ought to be publicizing the clap out (maybe they do locally). We need some good energy and those are great stories.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:23 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 am For some good news, my wife's hospital system celebrated discharging their 1000th patient hospitalized for COVID-19 yesterday. Not sure how many inpatient COVID cases they've had, but nobody projected this many discharges this early. Most of the patients were in severe shape, otherwise they wouldn't have been hospitalized. I know the expectation is that 80% of patients on ventilators will die. There have been some patients successfully extubated, don't know if any of them have been released yet.

Every COVID patient who gets discharged gets clapped out by a line of doctors and nurses. My wife was showing us some of the clapout videos, and I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. The first discharged patients at one of the hospitals had a parade with police cars, firetrucks and ambulances from numerous towns driving around the circle outside the front doors. Lights, sirens and horns going. Absolutely surreal what the world has turned into. This is seriously out of a horror movie.
That's quite shocking. I guess it shouldn't be but I thought many of those folks were pulling through.

Also they ought to be publicizing the clap out (maybe they do locally). We need some good energy and those are great stories.
Need to get legal release forms from the patients, but I think that is in the works. They've been more focused on getting out facts and preventative info like videos on how to make a safe homemade mask, and letting people know it's safe to call an ambulance or go to a hospital with an emergency. Some horrific stats compiled yesterday on the enormous number of calls to the ambulance services for people who died at home for non-COVID related symptoms, as they were too afraid to go to a hospital. Things like strokes and heart attacks, people are hesitant to call an ambulance, so they stay home and hope it's nothing. Just more reason why we need to wait until the hospitals are closer to normal levels before opening up the economy. It's not just people dying from the virus, but dying from other things they wouldn't have if the hospitals weren't overflowing with COVID patients.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Banner Society crew, and a bunch of others at Vox media were furloughed today.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Those 'Organic' protests happening in Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota?

Not so organic after all...

The rightwing groups behind wave of protests against Covid-19 restrictions

On Wednesday in Lansing, Michigan, a protest put together by two Republican-connected not-for-profits was explicitly devised to cause gridlock in the city, and for a time blocked the entrance to a local hospital.

It was organized by the Michigan Conservative Coalition, which Michigan state corporate filings show has also operated under the name of Michigan Trump Republicans. It was also heavily promoted by the Michigan Freedom Fund, a group linked to the Trump cabinet member Betsy DeVos.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I literally mentioned both of those groups in this thread.

Twice.

I guess I should've added a "Fuck Biden" or a "Democrats are diet Republicans" line so those posts would've been read.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Well, this seems kinda appropriate.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Never change, Florida.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 pm I literally mentioned both of those groups in this thread.

Twice.

I guess I should've added a "Fuck Biden" or a "Democrats are diet Republicans" line so those posts would've been read.
Sorry I missed them!

And lets hear it for 'Ironic Swastikas'!

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm Never change, Florida.

I dunno. That doesn’t look too crowded. If the beach bars and restaurants and surf shops are closed, it’s probably not all that dangerous. I’d go.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am Oh...just the President inciting civil unrest during a pandemic...nothing to worry about...

Seriously, what the fuck. The last few days have been batshit even by Trump’s standards.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm I dunno. That doesn’t look too crowded. If the beach bars and restaurants and surf shops are closed, it’s probably not all that dangerous. I’d go.
1) That was 20 minutes after the order was lifted for starters.
2) I see at least a few dozen people in close proximity in the photo alone.
3) These people have to be parking or setting up shop in relatively close proximity.
4) The sheer active of traveling from areas away from the beach -- either by walking and coming across other people or having to drive and therefore gas up when staying at home wouldn't do so is going to cause additional spread.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Trump Fans Protest Against Governors Who Have Imposed Virus Restrictions
In an interview on a little-viewed YouTube program called “Freedom on Tap,” first spotted by the progressive group True North Research, Mr. Moore said this week that he had been helping a group organize a protest in Wisconsin and arrange for legal costs that could be associated with mass gatherings during a safer-at-home order in the state.

“We need to be the Rosa Parks here,” he said, “and protest these government injustices.”
Rosa Parks??????
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is definitely where I break with the Concerned Crowd. These people are out walking, and most of them appear to be keeping their distance. If the beaches were closed they would have to share the sidewalks or risk getting hit by cars. I would feel differently if Senor Frogs and Margaritaville and Dick’s Last Resort were open but this doesn’t say that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:41 pm Trump Fans Protest Against Governors Who Have Imposed Virus Restrictions
In an interview on a little-viewed YouTube program called “Freedom on Tap,” first spotted by the progressive group True North Research, Mr. Moore said this week that he had been helping a group organize a protest in Wisconsin and arrange for legal costs that could be associated with mass gatherings during a safer-at-home order in the state.

“We need to be the Rosa Parks here,” he said, “and protest these government injustices.”
Rosa Parks??????
Ontario's Premier is a dim bulb and a dime store populist who hyped the fact that he liked Trump during the election.

Since this crisis has hit, he has let the doctors set the agenda and has taken the situation remarkably seriously. It is strange to see, but very reassuring.

Anyway, he is not pleased with the American "Freedom Fighters."

'I don't want them in Ontario': Premier Ford fires back after Trump suggests loosening border
"The answer is absolutely not. I don't want them (Americans) in Ontario."

"I want to put the people of Ontario first."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday that there is still a "significant amount of time" before the border restrictions are relaxed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 pm

This is definitely where I break with the Concerned Crowd. These people are out walking, and most of them appear to be keeping their distance. If the beaches were closed they would have to share the sidewalks or risk getting hit by cars. I would feel differently if Senor Frogs and Margaritaville and Dick’s Last Resort were open but this doesn’t say that.
Yeah, I think this is one of those times where a little more humility is in order all over the spectrum. There's been a lot of instances where the Concerned Crowd (including myself) has tut-tutted folks on this issue that turned out to be no big deal. Trump's meeting with Brazil's president, those press conferences where a bunch of administration people used the same microphone, stories about some party in Mar-a-Lago, etc. Most of us jumped on board, and none of those things turned out to actually be anything.

Florida still has a death rate from Covid way lower than the US average. So do most of the other red states that we are mocking for not having shutdown orders. (In Utah the most populous counties have shutdown orders, and we love to mock the ones that don't. Cases in the non-shutdown counties are not growing any faster.) Maybe all those places will still end up getting really fucked, but maybe they won't.

So obviously we have to take this seriously, especially in the densely populated areas. But places that are a lot less dense might not need the same kind of shutdowns that they do in the Northeast.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

They just ran a live shot of a Florida beach on MSNBC with the chyron “People Flock to Beaches.” There was like 50 people there. All spread out.

Have these guys ever seen a “flocked-to” beach?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’ve seen some good faith arguments made that different parts of the country should be subject to fewer restrictions. However, this whole astroturfed “protest” movement is one of the more cynical things I’ve seen in American politics—and that’s saying a lot. While the economic toll on workers and small business is very real and devastating, clearly this is a case of big-money right wing groups who (1) care more about business profits than tens of thousands of lost lives, and/or (2) are making the cynical play that because the only hard-hit swing state has been Michigan, it’ll help the GOP electorally to seem like the party that wanted to “open the economy.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 pm I’ve seen some good faith arguments made that different parts of the country should be subject to fewer restrictions. However, this whole astroturfed “protest” movement is one of the more cynical things I’ve seen in American politics—and that’s saying a lot. While the economic toll on workers and small business is very real and devastating, clearly this is a case of big-money right wing groups who (1) care more about business profits than tens of thousands of lost lives, and/or (2) are making the cynical play that because the only hard-hit swing state has been Michigan, it’ll help the GOP electorally to seem like the party that wanted to “open the economy.”
Especially when you consider the same groups backing these protests are also pushing for legislation allowing businesses to require workers to return to their jobs and preventing workers from suing if they get sick or die because they were forced to return.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can’t fathom me able to care when these 50+ economy/hoax warriors start dying off in the next few months. I’m sure it’s sad, but at some point there have to be consequences and atleast here it’s more likely them and not someone else.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

mister d wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:27 pm I can’t fathom me able to care when these 50+ economy/hoax warriors start dying off in the next few months. I’m sure it’s sad, but at some point there have to be consequences and atleast here it’s more likely them and not someone else.
As a 45 yo with two pre-teen kids, I’m hanging in the house for the foreseeable future. My wife works at a hospital and my two weeks rolls as she is scheduled on site. I’m fortunate in that my biz is performing strongly - a tech business. However, some of our clients have a very real BK risk. Watching cash very closely but glad impact hasn’t impacted our model yet.

Feel horrible for the 22+ mil out there right now.

Real change is coming. Be ready. Opportunity is ripe for the picking.

Commercial real estate is not the place to be right now.
oh shit...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:37 pm
Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 pm I’ve seen some good faith arguments made that different parts of the country should be subject to fewer restrictions. However, this whole astroturfed “protest” movement is one of the more cynical things I’ve seen in American politics—and that’s saying a lot. While the economic toll on workers and small business is very real and devastating, clearly this is a case of big-money right wing groups who (1) care more about business profits than tens of thousands of lost lives, and/or (2) are making the cynical play that because the only hard-hit swing state has been Michigan, it’ll help the GOP electorally to seem like the party that wanted to “open the economy.”
Especially when you consider the same groups backing these protests are also pushing for legislation allowing businesses to require workers to return to their jobs and preventing workers from suing if they get sick or die because they were forced to return.
Exactly. It’s not really about whether workers should have the choice to return to the office. It’s about whether employers can require workers, at the cost of their livelihoods, to return to work with or without health protections.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The astroturfing is astounding.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hey, look what the President retweeted...

No way that that could cause problems.

Here's a couple of the tweeter's books: Image

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:23 am Hey, look what the President retweeted...
Obviously the president shouldn't retweet that but I too am interested in how the reaction will be here in Canada.
Churches got fined last weekend here.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

JFC degen
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OMG Sharia law!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The larger synagogues near me are closed, but there are a number of small places around here where ultra-orthodox guys can meet and pray (technically, they need groups of 10 or more men). In basements of some of the big houses and storefronts. i am certain that these guys are meeting daily for prayers. And on Saturdays, there's a suspicious number of men in black hats walking around at the usual times they go to synagogue.

I am torn - these are my neighbours (and friends in a couple of cases) - but I am tempted to rat them out...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pmI am torn - these are my neighbours (and friends in a couple of cases) - but I am tempted to rat them out...
Ratting out Jewish neighbors and friends? Yeah, that's never turned out badly.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pmI am torn - these are my neighbours (and friends in a couple of cases) - but I am tempted to rat them out...
Ratting out Jewish neighbors and friends? Yeah, that's never turned out badly.
Yeah, even setting aside the historical issues not really worth injecting yourself into the situation in my opinion.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, one of my best friends from college went to urgent care last night for a fever, chills, and aches last night and they found stuff on his chest x-ray. He has been labeled a "person of suspicion" and he, his wife, and kids are not allowed to leave the house for the next four days for any reason until they get the result of his COVID-19 test. He, of course, has to self-quarantine away from them for those four days, as well.

Good times, especially considering he sued her for divorce in early March after she threatened to take their kids and relocate to California again (they're in the deep suburbs of Atlanta, but met in LA, where she is from).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:34 pm So, one of my best friends from college went to urgent care last night for a fever, chills, and aches last night and they found stuff on his chest x-ray. He has been labeled a "person of suspicion" and he, his wife, and kids are not allowed to leave the house for the next four days for any reason until they get the result of his COVID-19 test. He, of course, has to self-quarantine away from them for those four days, as well.

Good times, especially considering he sued her for divorce in early March after she threatened to take their kids and relocate to California again (they're in the deep suburbs of Atlanta, but met in LA, where she is from).
Damn.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The first paragraph was bad.

The second paragraph was fucking harrowing.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And , for some more positive news, my daughter’s wife’s mom after five days on a vent and in sedation made an improvement - is off the vent and able to talk on the phone. Progress.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:23 pm And , for some more positive news, my daughter’s wife’s mom after five days on a vent and in sedation made an improvement - is off the vent and able to talk on the phone. Progress.
Great to hear!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.