Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:24 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:23 pm And , for some more positive news, my daughter’s wife’s mom after five days on a vent and in sedation made an improvement - is off the vent and able to talk on the phone. Progress.
Great to hear!
Yes, nice to hear good news, TB.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Great news.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:28 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 pmI am torn - these are my neighbours (and friends in a couple of cases) - but I am tempted to rat them out...
Ratting out Jewish neighbors and friends? Yeah, that's never turned out badly.
Yeah, even setting aside the historical issues not really worth injecting yourself into the situation in my opinion.
Yeah - bad idea. I mean, I will be living near these guys for years to come.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Atleast some of them.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm The first paragraph was bad.

The second paragraph was fucking harrowing.
Yeah. There is a group of seven who graduated together, six of us who lived in the same house, who are tight. He texted the two of us closest to him (the three of us were all in each other's weddings) about the divorce in the first week of March, sending a screenshot of a couple legal documents from her countersuit about the custody and relocation, as well as child support of varying kinds. He had never mentioned previously that she had threatened to take the kids and move back to California.

He and his wife is a long, complicated story from well before this point.

He mentioned he was going to tell the others in the group in October in person (the other guy he told has already been divorced). This would take place at our annual group get-together during a long weekend in a destination city. We'll see if us dummies still go to Memphis in mid-October.

More importantly, Bengal, very glad to hear your good news. Every little bit helps.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:23 pm And , for some more positive news, my daughter’s wife’s mom after five days on a vent and in sedation made an improvement - is off the vent and able to talk on the phone. Progress.
That is fantastic news! 5 days is surprisingly a short stint on a vent, so she must have shown tremendous improvement. Very promising, keep us posted.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is a great sign.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That's great to hear, bengal.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I saw a tweet yesterday with a couple different photos from the Huntington Beach protestors showing that, while the signs look hand-made, they are actually printed in the same font.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nothing but the best people...

Brett Giroir, Trump’s testing czar, was forced out of a job developing vaccine projects. Now he’s on the hot seat.
Brett Giroir, the federal official overseeing coronavirus testing efforts, says that his experience working on vaccine development projects at Texas A&M University helped prepare him for this historic moment. He once said that his vaccine effort was so vital that “the fate of 50 million people will rely on us getting this done.”

But after eight years of work on several vaccine projects, Giroir was told in 2015 he had 30 minutes to resign or he would be fired. His annual performance evaluation at Texas A&M, the local newspaper reported, said he was “more interested in promoting yourself” than the health science center where he worked. He got low marks on being a “team player.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am

the local newspaper reported, said he was “more interested in promoting yourself” than the health science center where he worked.
Sounds like a perfect fit for this Administration.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's almost like these people have figured out that you can get any job in the administration if you just lick Trump's boots.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...I was too early with the good news, she’s back on a vent. Back to pretty worried.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

If you had Georgia as "the state most likely to try to kill its citizens"...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So close, Tennessee...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Am I crazy? Is this really happening without widespread testing and contact tracing?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The South will rise again
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:09 pm Am I crazy? Is this really happening without widespread testing and contact tracing?
Yes, it's really happening. But if the "procedures" involve keeping people generally apart and cleaning more frequently, I think it's probably fine.

The restaurant thing seems a little iffy. I don't think I would go to a restaurant unless everyone wore masks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:40 pm
brian wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:09 pm Am I crazy? Is this really happening without widespread testing and contact tracing?
Yes, it's really happening. But if the "procedures" involve keeping people generally apart and cleaning more frequently, I think it's probably fine.

The restaurant thing seems a little iffy. I don't think I would go to a restaurant unless everyone wore masks.
Steve, you have more faith than I do that people will do all those things while maintaining safe practices.

On the other side of the coin, in the Bay Area counties, they just tightened the rules further, mandating that one must wear a mask when visiting or working at any business that has been allowed to remain open. (And, I'm glad they did.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I think gyms are the LAST place I'd feel safe going. Fuck, I stopped going to the gym 3 weeks before they closed it.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

CO gov just announced "stay at home" lifted starting Monday (although can't really do anything since things are still closed); businesses start coming back May 4 with services (Dentists, haircuts, etc); office businesses can reopen at 50% staffing levels; retail can do curbside phasing into opening with precautions. Hope for restaurants and bars to start reopening mid-May.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Steve, you have more faith than I do that people will do all those things while maintaining safe practices.

On the other side of the coin, in the Bay Area counties, they just tightened the rules further, mandating that one must wear a mask when visiting or working at any business that has been allowed to remain open. (And, I'm glad they did.)
Same for New York.

And how are people going to wear masks at a restaurant? Just pull it up and down every time they put something in their mouths? That'll happen.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

No, I don't have faith that people will fully maintain safe practices. I think that "close enough" is good enough for most places and situations. We don't need to totally prevent any person-to-person contact. We just need to restrict it enough to slow the spread - and even partial reduction of contacts has a huge effect.

If 20 people are together, there are 190 possible contacts by which disease can be spread. But if you cut that to 5 people, now there are only 10 possible contacts - you've basically cut it by 95 percent while still allowing some socializing.

Yeah, obviously people eating and drinking can't wear masks while they are doing that, but the servers, bussers, receptionists, cooks, etc. all can. People can wear masks and gloves at the gym or barber shop or hair salon or bowling alley.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not so interested in leaving my hole just yet. By the same token that not every place nationally is New York, not every place in Georgia is rural farmland. I dont see how he puts in place an order that doesnt allow urban areas to opt out. Who the fuck wants to take Marta to work right now. Feel bad for the folks that are going to be made to do that. Not I. In for the summer mostly. I'll have to figure something out for schools in the fall, till then i'll let somebody else die alone trying to keep rich folks wealthy. My time will come soon enough.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’d tour the COVID wing of a nursing home before I set foot in a gym right now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Same for New York.

And how are people going to wear masks at a restaurant? Just pull it up and down every time they put something in their mouths? That'll happen.
They will not wear masks in Georgia or Tennessee if that’s what you mean.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I ventured to sams and kroger today. Impressed with the distancing efforts. And I would guess 75 percent had some kind of face covering. I’m still rocking my modelo gold cup wrap.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:47 pm I’d tour the COVID wing of a nursing home before I set foot in a gym right now.
Me too. Without the “right now.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ok, that "Sacrifice the Weak" sign has to be a plant, right?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:26 am Ok, that "Sacrifice the Weak" sign has to be a plant, right?
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

meow
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sorry Brian...looks like the Vegas mayor is volunteering the city to be the control group in the 'Open Everything back up!' experiment...

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:10 pm Sorry Brian...looks like the Vegas mayor is volunteering the city to be the control group in the 'Open Everything back up!' experiment...

Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, right? So tourists are safe! Jesus Christ, next to Disney or a water park, Vegas seems like the worst place to open early. Fuck, all those tourists congregating then traveling back to their various towns? Fucking nightmare.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

At least she has a detailed plan on how to handle things...Oh, wait...

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

At least they'll close the buffets, right?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:28 pm At least they'll close the buffets, right?
They already have sneeze guards, what's the problem?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So she's a figurehead put in place by the casino companies?