Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The virus didn’t stop a Washington socialite from throwing a backyard soiree. Then the tests came back positive.
This is A Cautionary Tale featuring well-intentioned people making poor choices. It is also the tale of a socialite with an Instagram habit who recently held a fabulous backyard soiree during a pandemic. The upside of living on social media is the admiration and envy of your friends. The downside is when your dinner party goes viral. Literally.

Ashley Taylor Bronczek, one of Washington’s social stars, decided to throw a party after the Washington Ballet’s online fundraiser, which she co-chaired. The June 18 gala was a huge success, raising more than $800,000 — the top sponsors were her generous in-laws, David and Judy Bronczek. To celebrate the occasion, she hosted a catered dinner for a couple dozen friends in the backyard of her Spring Valley home. It was, by all accounts, a picture-perfect night chronicled on (per usual) her Instagram account.

Then Bronczek, 37, was diagnosed with covid-19, along with a few other guests at the event. The news spread quickly through the wealthy young families in her social circle because their small children play together. Friends begged her to take down photos of the party, which she eventually did. But details of the evening — some true, some exaggerated — were already all over town.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Getting tested tomorrow. Guy at work tested positive this morning. Once I found out, I cleaned up my desk and told my boss I was working remote. I didn't have any contact with the infected for at least a month, but I was in contact with people that sat in his cubicle area.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ugh, ugh, ugh. Sorry, man.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't understand the rush back to the office for all of these companies that have operated without issue from home over the last 3 months.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm I don't understand the rush back to the office for all of these companies that have operated without issue from home over the last 3 months.
My company's been amazing. The date they've given is 9/27 and if any office happens to open earlier due to state conditions, pretty much no one will be forced to go back.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I started working from home on St. Patrick's Day. Come back a week before Memorial Day. Going back remote the week of the Fourth. My Covid adventure by holidays.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 pm
rass wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 am

Wife said the NJ state health department mentioned something along these lines on a call yesterday, that some studies are showing 6 months or less until re-infection might be possible. Not sure if that came from the same single Chinese report.
How much more do we really need though. Two months might be a little skinny but six would get it down for almost everyone.
They'll be a vaccine by spring or even October. Doesn't seem like too many will get it twice if only 5-10% have it now
October 2020? No way in hell there is a vaccine ready for mass distribution by then. I think Spring is a best case scenario, but they have never made a successful vaccine for any coronavirus before, so I'm skeptical. Then you factor in that this virus mutates extremely quickly and often, so any vaccine will have limited effectiveness. Then you factor in that Trump is pushing to prevent requiring insurance companies cover COVID vaccines while at the same time his DOJ just submitted an 82-page brief to the Supreme Court to completely abolish the ACA, and we are fucked. This country is so full of morons and conspiracy theorists who now take fighting expert recommendations as their show of devotion to Trump that even if a COVID vaccine was free for everyone, we'd have huge numbers refusing to take the vaccine. I mean, it is Bill Gates' evil ploy to control us after all.

The rest of the world is on the downturn or almost free of the virus, while we are spiking higher than ever before. Most experts are expecting a second wave in the fall and a third wave in December, well that can't happen in the US if we continue riding the first wave! People in this country are so fucking stupid, and our President is making being stupid a culture war, so unfortunately, this shit is going to continue in the US for a long time. But hey, at least those freedom loving morons can get a hair cut and prove they aren't sheep by refusing to fall for the government control ploy of making them wear a mask.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I am protesting people protesting to get their haircut by not cutting mine. It is a damn mess but I am going to be strong and fight the good fight.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

duff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm I am protesting people protesting to get their haircut by not cutting mine. It is a damn mess but I am going to be strong and fight the good fight.
I'm enjoying having longer hair. I had my last cut the Thursday before St. Patrick's, and I think it'll be many months before I have another.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm I don't understand the rush back to the office for all of these companies that have operated without issue from home over the last 3 months.
Seriously - what's the rush to get people back into the office if they can work remotely?

My wife works at a big company that has been amazing. She was told in early May to be prepared to work from home until january.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We're actually restarting our search of moving to Colorado since my wife's job will be WFH permanently. She's not 100% sure she'll be able to move that far, but it might be an option.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 pm
Seriously - what's the rush to get people back into the office if they can work remotely?

My wife works at a big company that has been amazing. She was told in early May to be prepared to work from home until january.
My co-worker was going to be off site for a few days and my boss thought it would be best if I could be in the office to handle any issues directly. I agreed to come in, but I wrote HR about my concerns and that I felt I was being pressured to come in. Work has been open the whole time. We do metal coating and some of the jobs were for parts going in ventilators they were building in Kokomo. Plus all of our DOD jobs were still being processed (b/c gotta make bombs).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:29 pm
duff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm I am protesting people protesting to get their haircut by not cutting mine. It is a damn mess but I am going to be strong and fight the good fight.
I'm enjoying having longer hair. I had my last cut the Thursday before St. Patrick's, and I think it'll be many months before I have another.
I just had my second cut of the re-opening phase on Tuesday. It felt odd to get it cut after four weeks (my usual time between) when the previous time, it had grown for nearly three months. The only nuisance when it was long was the scruff on the back of my neck, which actually meant I didn't care enough to ask my wife to clean it up with clippers.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Same. I'm starting to look like a Yeti though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:32 pm We're actually restarting our search of moving to Colorado since my wife's job will be WFH permanently. She's not 100% sure she'll be able to move that far, but it might be an option.
If we could actually get out of the country we probably would have just said fuck it and moved this year and I would have just figured out a plan to work full-time off hours (which frankly would have sucked - 7 p.m. to 3 a.m.) for a couple of years or tried to swing a job change to marketing where being on the other side of the world is do-able. As it is, we've solidified plan to move around September/October 2022.

Hell, just typing it out has me thinking about doing it anyway by January if we could actually sell the house and if we can just somehow get to place where Americans can fly to Thailand and self-quarantine for 2 weeks (which we would agree to since we'd be staying there for at least a few months initially before having to make a couple of visa runs to extend out to September 2022 when I can get a one-year student (Thai language) visa). But having to maybe do another visa run while cases spike in 2021 and there's no vaccine and no guaranteed way to get back into the country?

Everything is just so up in the air and being an international pariah state isn't helping.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:37 pm
Same. I'm starting to look like a Yeti though.
My wife ordered sheers and clippers almost right away. Gave me my first haircut in April and it has been a monthly thing ever since. Not sure I'm going back to my barber. She's good at it.

Holy shit... Have at it boys.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My wife and I were going to sell right before all this hit, but we decided to hold off.

Now, we're both waiting to see what our work does about remote. Because if I'm mostly remote, and she's already there... We're definitely going to look for a place on water that is striking distance for us to get to respective offices.

There's absolutely no reason to jam people on coming back into an office before a vaccine is developed. None.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Even if a vaccine is approved by October, which would be an medical engineering feat on par or more amazing than the atom bomb or going to the Moon in basically 8 years it’s not gonna be available to anyone other than the rich and elite until early 2021.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I think I've mentioned this, but where I work they've set up a big cross-departmental task force looking at The New Normal and sending out surveys to employees and managers about this stuff.

VAST majority of both sets of employees want to stay remote for an indefinite period (vaccine discovered, or MD is pretty much completely clear [it is nowhere close right now, even with good trends].)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Work sent out a note today that we'll continue WFH through at least Labor Day.

The nursing home my wife has been tracking/tracing since early April just reported 9 positives today. Definitely their highest single-day total, and just a couple of days shy of two incubation periods without a new case, which would have allowed them to declare the outbreak over. They're hoping the lab fucked up. Though the city reported 15 positives (in addition to the 9 at the home) today.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Buying a good mask makes me think I'm a huge idiot for spending 3 months in bandana masks.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The first from the Tulsa rally...

ETA: This post from Cain didn't age well...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So have the protesters been responsible for the spike in COVID cases at all? Or is it just people congregating in large groups inside of buildings?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm So have the protesters been responsible for the spike in COVID cases at all? Or is it just people congregating in large groups inside of buildings?
The research suggests that protestors are not responsible, as there have not been spikes in the cities where protesting has been going on. When you watch video of protests, though, keep in mind that the majority of the people you see who are not wearing masks are law enforcement. Almost all protestors wear masks.

Spikes are coming from indoor groups, including people who have gone to bars and restaurants that have re-opened, leading to many states shutting them back down.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 pm So have the protesters been responsible for the spike in COVID cases at all? Or is it just people congregating in large groups inside of buildings?
Data so far seems to indicate the protestors aren't resulting in a huge spike. Probably a little to be sure, but between being outside and mask usage being at 95+ percent it seems to be limiting tranmission. The hugest spikes are in the states that opened "first". (AZ, FL, TX).
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ok, cool. Just checking. It's very interesting to me that the disparity of "outside" vs "inside" gatherings is so stark in contrast.

It's actually a kinda hopeful avenue in some ways.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm Ok, cool. Just checking. It's very interesting to me that the disparity of "outside" vs "inside" gatherings is so stark in contrast.

It's actually a kinda hopeful avenue in some ways.
I think it's more complicated. Other factors like "wearing a mask if you know you will be around people" play a big deal. People going to a restaurant do not wear masks, counting on things like their waiter wearing a mask and limited/outdoor seating to maintain social distancing will do the work. People who know they are going to a crowded protest choose to wear a mask as much of the entire time as possible with things like having a drink of water as the exception.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You wanna see where people being outdoors not wearing a mask is hugely problematic, go look up Alabama beaches - reopening - masks.

It's a fucking shitshow.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And I have to say, after a week up here in Mass... There is messaging everywhere... EVERYWHERE about masks and social distancing. A number of places have signs saying "No Mask, No Service."

I gotta say, it's fucking refreshing. MD is doing fine on this front, but too many instances of people not wanting to be rude. Same thing in CO.

Up here, prevailing vibe is put on a fucking mask. Cranky Yankee at it's finest.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 pm

Those of you that follow me on Twitter probably saw a fair amount of ranting a few weeks ago about this. Small company, less than 30 people, but we were in a pretty small building. 3-4 people in 14' x 14' offices, etc.

It was getting to the point after about 6 weeks of wfh that we needed to have a few people come in to assemble hardware, etc in cleanrooms. This was what drove our owners to bring everyone back into the office, even though many of us worked more hours and worked more effectively at home. (This is where I mention recently discovered social media posts from one of the owners talking about the people running businesses being heroes while the rest of us lounged on the couch and his very recent comments about being in a post-covid era, etc). And there was no budging. Questions about a rotating schedule were shot down. "We're not a tele-work company, it's not who we are". And my oldest has asthma, I was asked to provide a doctor's note for proof. That got me one extra week at home.

So rather than have ~5 people in, everyone was forced back in over the course of a few weeks. And we were told in an all hands "if you don't like it, find another job". So I did. I was in the office for 3 days this week at the new job getting some introduction, getting a laptop set up, etc. And now I am back at home for the foreseeable future.

The worst part is, I loved working there. Interesting work, great team, and I had a lot of responsibility. And honestly? They're fucked without me for a while. They were already having a hard time with hiring, and I was doing the work of two positions. I heard through a friend that they were having problems today with a system I maintained, and they had the nerve to call me to try to get me to help even though they would not honor the notice I offered to help download info.

And my best friend there is giving her notice Monday for a new position too. And we're not going to be the last. They would rather jeopardize their company than let people work from home.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:45 pm And I have to say, after a week up ... in ...ass... There is mess... everywhere... EVERYWHERE ... A number of places have signs saying "No ...as...S... fucking ... but too many instances of people not wanting to ...r...am... in C...

Up here, prevailing vibe is ... fucking ... Crank... Yank... at it's finest.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Is this because I hit on your god mom?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're not my step-godfather and you never will be.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

duff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:37 pm Getting tested tomorrow. Guy at work tested positive this morning. Once I found out, I cleaned up my desk and told my boss I was working remote. I didn't have any contact with the infected for at least a month, but I was in contact with people that sat in his cubicle area.
Test was quick and painless.

Found out the guy that tested positive was playing gigs at bars for the past month. I find this out because a co-worker of my wife texts her asking about "Bob" and if I knew he tested positive. She then proceeds to tell my wife that she and her husband saw "Bob" and his band play at a local bar three weeks ago.

I am beyond pissed. What kind of ignorant fuck would endanger their health and those of others just to earn a few extra bucks playing covers of hair metal and grunge in the dive bars.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:43 pm I am beyond pissed. What kind of ignorant fuck would endanger their health and those of others just to earn a few extra bucks playing covers of hair metal and grunge in the dive bars.
As a sidebar: I just shake my head at the news stories about bar owner/patrons who are complaining about bars not being open...and invariably they are the worst shithole bars imaginable. If you're going to get the 'Rona, at least catch it somewhere nice for god's sake.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:43 pm
duff wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:37 pm Getting tested tomorrow. Guy at work tested positive this morning. Once I found out, I cleaned up my desk and told my boss I was working remote. I didn't have any contact with the infected for at least a month, but I was in contact with people that sat in his cubicle area.
Were they able to provide an expected time to have the result, hopefully before the weekend?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:54 pm
duff wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:43 pm
Were they able to provide an expected time to have the result, hopefully before the weekend?
She said no sooner than Monday.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well shit duff, good luck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, good luck!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Good luck, duff.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!