Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry man. It hurts to get fucked over. It hurts more when it’s family members doing it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Youngest was supposed to go for road test tomorrow. Now he isn't feeling great and we were already on the "let's reschedule that" anyway, but still. He has asthma so of course a respiratory disease is a bad thing. FUUUUUUUUUCK.

We are going for the deep nose test today or first thing in the morning.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That sucks.

Here's something that won't cheer anyone up.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:23 am Youngest was supposed to go for road test tomorrow. Now he isn't feeling great and we were already on the "let's reschedule that" anyway, but still. He has asthma so of course a respiratory disease is a bad thing. FUUUUUUUUUCK.

We are going for the deep nose test today or first thing in the morning.
Gah.

Your rage is completely appropriate, AB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We returned three negative results for the family unit. But I have been laid up since about three. Chills bloated and cannot get comfortable. Achy achy achy
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm We returned three negative results for the family unit. But I have been laid up since about three. Chills bloated and cannot get comfortable. Achy achy achy
Yay! Fuck!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm We returned three negative results for the family unit. But I have been laid up since about three. Chills bloated and cannot get comfortable. Achy achy achy
Yay! Fuck!
What he said.

That really sucks, but hopefully it's just the regular flu. Good luck, AB.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

How are you feeling, AB?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Strong enough to stand, too weak to stand up for himself

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Heh.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

She has been a perfect resting companion but a shit nurse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A local HS that my wife’s health dept deals with suddenly switched to all remote learning on Friday. At least 18 teachers are in quarantine. The not publicly known part of the story is that a relatively famous TikTok’r (millions of followers) attends the school, has been traveling for “work” and is patient zero.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We are the dumbest country...

How two 20-somethings and their dance parties helped set back Utah’s pandemic progress
The Instagram post began by saying the planned dance party for Aug. 7 in Provo was canceled due to health and safety concerns.

“However,” the post — as written — continued, “due to us not being little b****, we are replacing it with THE UNDERGROUND DANCE PARTY.”

The address in Provo was disclosed the day of the party to prevent any efforts to quash it, according to social media posts from the organizers, a company calling itself Young/Dumb. Admittance was $10.

A back-to-school dance party followed in Provo, the seat of Utah County, on Sept. 4. A week later, Young/Dumb tossed a masquerade party in neighboring Orem.

As the parties continued, so did the coronavirus cases. It’s difficult to pinpoint where anyone gets infected from such a communicable virus. A spokeswoman for the Utah County Health Department on Friday said it had no data showing how the dance parties affected the spread there.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Like I say to parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids:

"I, too, hope they die."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The log I've been keeping my run app says this is day 200 of Q for me. Ridiculous.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Amazon extends working from home into summer.
Amazon.com will let corporate employees work from home through June 2021, the latest company to push back reopening offices as COVID-19 cases surge again across the U.S.

“We continue to prioritize the health of our employees and follow local government guidance,” an Amazon spokesperson said in an email. “Employees who work in a role that can effectively be done from home are welcome to do so until June 30, 2021.”
Also...kinda says something that this thread was all the way back on Page 4.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm We are the dumbest country...

How two 20-somethings and their dance parties helped set back Utah’s pandemic progress
The Instagram post began by saying the planned dance party for Aug. 7 in Provo was canceled due to health and safety concerns.

“However,” the post — as written — continued, “due to us not being little b****, we are replacing it with THE UNDERGROUND DANCE PARTY.”

The address in Provo was disclosed the day of the party to prevent any efforts to quash it, according to social media posts from the organizers, a company calling itself Young/Dumb. Admittance was $10.

A back-to-school dance party followed in Provo, the seat of Utah County, on Sept. 4. A week later, Young/Dumb tossed a masquerade party in neighboring Orem.

As the parties continued, so did the coronavirus cases. It’s difficult to pinpoint where anyone gets infected from such a communicable virus. A spokeswoman for the Utah County Health Department on Friday said it had no data showing how the dance parties affected the spread there.
Well, Utah County is clearly the dumbest county anyway.

I can’t remember if I posted this here, but it turns out the morons in Utah County were the source of my daughter’s Covid. They opened their schools in August, my daughter’s friend’s boyfriend’s sister caught it, and it went up the chain from there.

My daughter’s sense of smell still hasn’t returned. She “recovered” a full month ago.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:20 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm We are the dumbest country...

Well, Utah County is clearly the dumbest county anyway.

I can’t remember if I posted this here, but it turns out the morons in Utah County were the source of my daughter’s Covid. They opened their schools in August, my daughter’s friend’s boyfriend’s sister caught it, and it went up the chain from there.

My daughter’s sense of smell still hasn’t returned. She “recovered” a full month ago.
Pay wall blocked the article, which is probably good, as I am angry enough just reading the clip. Fuck those guy, I hope they face some sort of legal consequences. I'm not a fan of doxxing, but in this case I'm happy they are identified. If you knowingly endanger the health of your community, especially charging an entry fee, then you deserve it. They fully understood what they were doing and flaunted the law and even gave themselves a stupid name making fun of their idiocy. Fuck them, let them rot in a COVID infested prison.

Steve, that has to be so frustrating for your daughter. All things considered, not the worst possible symptom, but it has to be concerning. Hoping she fully recovers soon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

"On Tuesday, local health officials ordered students at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor to stay in their residences except for essential activities effective immediately, in an effort to control an escalating community outbreak."

“During the day, on campus, everyone’s fine and following the rules,” said Emma Stein, a senior news editor at The Michigan Daily, the student paper, who is now confined at home with her eight roommates. “But at night, on weekends, they don’t.”

Fuck nights and weekends what about Tuesday mornings breathing on your roommates. Being stuck in a dorm full of kids is not optimal.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 am "On Tuesday, local health officials ordered students at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor to stay in their residences except for essential activities effective immediately, in an effort to control an escalating community outbreak."

“During the day, on campus, everyone’s fine and following the rules,” said Emma Stein, a senior news editor at The Michigan Daily, the student paper, who is now confined at home with her eight roommates. “But at night, on weekends, they don’t.”

Fuck nights and weekends what about Tuesday mornings breathing on your roommates. Being stuck in a dorm full of kids is not optimal.
Is this not in exact opposition to your everyone go back to work and school thought process from a few weeks back?
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The UMich situation is interesting and seems like an outlier. Earlier they quarantined an entire dorm because of an outbreak and students refusing to get tested. Large numbers of students are using local testing instead of the testing through the University in order to avoid quarantines and other negative repercussions.They are overwhelmed and can't do contact tracing, but earlier research tied hotspots to large parties.

This dashboard has a good comparison of Big ten schools. Adding to the possible causes the central administration and the president in particular has come under fire. At the beginning of the semester Grad TA's and RA's went on strike because of the re-opening plans. I think the administration lost their students and will have a very difficult time having them follow any Covid restrictions. They may need someone like the football team to join them in order for the students to listen to any restrictions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Maybe but living together a whole different deal than going to grade school. Likewise an institutions decision to reopen totally separate from a parents or employees individual decision to show up. My nephew is in a dorm in NC with several cases. I don't see how that's ever safe. Classes only with masks and distancing orders of magnitude less risky. Still maybe not the move to send your kid or show for work. But that's individual arithmetic.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:14 am The UMich situation is interesting and seems like an outlier. Earlier they quarantined an entire dorm because of an outbreak and students refusing to get tested. Large numbers of students are using local testing instead of the testing through the University in order to avoid quarantines and other negative repercussions.They are overwhelmed and can't do contact tracing, but earlier research tied hotspots to large parties.

This dashboard has a good comparison of Big ten schools. Adding to the possible causes the central administration and the president in particular has come under fire. At the beginning of the semester Grad TA's and RA's went on strike because of the re-opening plans. I think the administration lost their students and will have a very difficult time having them follow any Covid restrictions. They may need someone like the football team to join them in order for the students to listen to any restrictions.
Pretty interesting data. Chart shows less than 20 cases per day at almost all the schools though. Is that a lot? Some of those schools are pretty big. But guess thats about 2500 a semester. Not so good.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Umer Raffat, an analyst at Evercore ISI, says that other vaccine trials could see similarly slower-than-expected rates of infection among participants.

“If people enroll in this vaccine trial and don’t feel fever or major sore arm after the shot, they kinda know they got placebo, so they remain cautious and keep masks on,” he said. That extra caution could depress infection rates, delaying data that reveal whether a vaccine works or not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

England locked down again.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We're never getting out of this...

After Halloween rave amid a covid-19 spike, Utah officials say partygoers ‘absolutely will become ill’
Thousands of people gathered in the desert to party in costumes, many without masks, in Utah on Saturday at a rave that broke the state’s pandemic restrictions.

They may have gotten away with it, too, if a crowd-surfing woman hadn’t fallen on her head, prompting other partygoers to call 911 after she was knocked unconscious for several minutes, KSTU reported.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:42 am We're never getting out of this...

After Halloween rave amid a covid-19 spike, Utah officials say partygoers ‘absolutely will become ill’
Thousands of people gathered in the desert to party in costumes, many without masks, in Utah on Saturday at a rave that broke the state’s pandemic restrictions.

They may have gotten away with it, too, if a crowd-surfing woman hadn’t fallen on her head, prompting other partygoers to call 911 after she was knocked unconscious for several minutes, KSTU reported.
On the other hand, I would never have expected to read the phrase "Utah County rave."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Didn't disappear after 11/3
The United States reported 103,087 cases of COVID-19 today, the highest single-day total on record, according to the COVID Tracking Project at The Atlantic. It marks the first time that the country—or any country in the world, for that matter—has documented more than 100,000 new cases in one day.

At the same time, states reported that more than 52,000 people are hospitalized with the coronavirus, the highest level since early August. The number of people hospitalized nationwide is increasing faster in November than it did in October, and—over the past 10 days—their ranks have risen by about 1,000 people a day.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 am Didn't disappear after 11/3
The United States reported 103,087 cases of COVID-19 today, the highest single-day total on record, according to the COVID Tracking Project at The Atlantic. It marks the first time that the country—or any country in the world, for that matter—has documented more than 100,000 new cases in one day.

At the same time, states reported that more than 52,000 people are hospitalized with the coronavirus, the highest level since early August. The number of people hospitalized nationwide is increasing faster in November than it did in October, and—over the past 10 days—their ranks have risen by about 1,000 people a day.

No worries, we are turning the corner and the vaccine will be here before election day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:15 am Didn't disappear after 11/3

A “highest single-day total on record” of 103,000. Those were the days.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

There's no such thing as a pandemic in Lauderdale and I can't see how I don't have it now. Guess we'll see in a few days!

I'm expecting an absolute explosion of cases.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

77 pages and no one gives a fuck about a vaccine? New normal indeed.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

90% effective at less than $40. Are you serious. Momentous.

FAST FACTS
Cost:

$39. In July, Pfizer said it would charge the U.S. $19.50 per dose (the vaccine requires two doses, three weeks apart), FOX Business previously reported.

Number of doses:

Pfizer has previously said it hopes to produce as many as 50 million doses by the end of this year (assuming approval from the FDA) and as many as 1.3 billion in 2021. At 2 doses per vaccination, that translated to 25 million people receiving a vaccination.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:44 am 77 pages and no one gives a fuck about a vaccine? New normal indeed.
FWIW, it was being discussed in the Election thread.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I am encouraged that this time it's an actual company and not Moderna making the claims. The first few claims were like Fruit Loops saying they had a vaccine.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I am encouraged that this time it's an actual company and not Moderna making the claims. The first few claims were like Fruit Loops saying they had a vaccine.
Pfizer even said they were not a part of Operation Ludicrous, I mean Warp, Speed
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I am encouraged that this time it's an actual company and not Moderna making the claims. The first few claims were like Fruit Loops saying they had a vaccine.
MIckey Tettleton approves this post.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pretty sure moderna is an actual company. VC darling most likely. But there should be rejoicing here. 90% is beyond expectations and they'll have 20 million doses at an insanely low pice... those guys could definitely make more money at $3k a pop... and other likely vaccines right behind it. Just massive news. Buying summer vacation type news.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.