Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, DaveInSeattle, rass

User avatar
Sabo
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4913
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am
Location: On the trail

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Sabo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 am

BSF21 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am
A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am
Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
I'm expecting this soon in Indy as well.
A little surprised it hasn't happened in Ohio yet, but the governor mentioned that possibility last week.
Mallards rule.

So do cassowaries.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am

A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am
Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
That's basically what we've been doing since March, so I don't see a big change in our future.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16820
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:08 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am
A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am
Kentucky is closing all indoor dining starting tonight at 5. Carryout and outdoor still allowed (though outdoor season is pretty slim these days), and while we have basically been doing it for the most part, we aren't going to order carryout from the chains and stick with smaller regional or local restaurants.
That's basically what we've been doing since March, so I don't see a big change in our future.
Yeah, other than a couple of chain pizza and Olive Garden last night (Kid's 17th birthday and favorites are favorites!) we've been 95% smaller joints. Although I'd like to replace a few fast food meals with local as well.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4946
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Does no one in the White House take this seriously?



It would be easier to track those who HAVEN'T tested positive.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16820
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm
Does no one in the White House take this seriously?



It would be easier to track those who HAVEN'T tested positive.
Oh man, the doucheness on his Twitter profile

"Currently serving the American public as Special Assistant to President Donald J. Trump until January 20, 2025"
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4946
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:21 pm

A_B wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 pm
Does no one in the White House take this seriously?



It would be easier to track those who HAVEN'T tested positive.
Oh man, the doucheness on his Twitter profile

"Currently serving the American public as Special Assistant to President Donald J. Trump until January 20, 2025"
Especially when you consider his job consists of coordinating visits from championship teams. Which a) hasn't happened in almost a year, and b) most teams don't want anything to do with the Trump White House. Its not like he's leading nuclear arms talks or something.

And...he was at his father's meltdown news conference yesterday. I wonder how many people he infected.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21955
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm

FREDO HAS THE COVID!


User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 pm

brian wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 pm
FREDO HAS THE COVID!

That should go in the totally fucking hilarious Capt Trips thread.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4946
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 pm


User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5733
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Shirley » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am
Shirley wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm
tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm
How glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.


(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

FTR my wife does a mean rerun dance.
Once upon a time I had a website with the only image of a dancing Rerun on the internet.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21955
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:00 am

Shirley wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am
Shirley wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm
tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm
How glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.


(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

FTR my wife does a mean rerun dance.
Once upon a time I had a website with the only image of a dancing Rerun on the internet.
Is that something Guinness tracks or what?

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12557
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:07 am

Shirley wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:03 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am
Shirley wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:28 pm
tennbengal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:32 pm
How glad are you that life took you away from there...
I probably would have been a hell of a meth dealer.


(actually, no, I'm a pussy. I'd have sucked.)
You want a patty melt with some fries or a 'tato salad or did you just come for a black coffee and some meth?

FTR my wife does a mean rerun dance.
Once upon a time I had a website with the only image of a dancing Rerun on the internet.
How are you not a billionaire?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2829
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:14 am

Image

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:16 am

Guess that's twice.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14274
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by rass » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:02 am

My youngest took a sabbatical from soccer this season, but someone on her team, or a player on the other team her team’s trainer works with, tested positive. The last game of the season (tomorrow) has been cancelled and all of the players have been told to quarantine for 14 days. Spent some time last night talking to the club and the coach and trainer trying to get them to specify when the last exposure was for the team so they know when the 14 days started. The club is also requiring a negative test from the players to return to practice which generally isn’t needed because it’s silly once you go through quarantine.

We were planning on having her train with them (outdoors) for the winter starting two weeks from today. She really needs both the physical and social activity.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16501
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 am

This is great...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 6866
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: Dipshitville, FL
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Gunpowder » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am

Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16501
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am

Gunpowder wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am
Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
If she was so great, how come she stopped fighting the Nazis before the job was done? Quitter!!!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12557
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am
Gunpowder wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am
Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
If she was so great, how come she stopped fighting the Nazis before the job was done? Quitter!!!
Is it just me, or does it seem really odd to honor someone executed by guillotine with a bust on the wall?


Image
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

Johnnie
The Dude
Posts: 12060
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Location: ABQ, BITCH!

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnnie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am

One thing you learn about Germans very quickly: they have no problem calling you on your shit in the moment.

It's a trait Americans should pick up. We tiptoe around things generally so as not to offend the party acting like a shitbag.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12557
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am

Johnnie wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am
One thing you learn about Germans very quickly: they have no problem calling you on your shit in the moment.

It's a trait Americans should pick up. We tiptoe around things generally so as not to offend the party acting like a shitbag.
Do they have a word for that?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 16501
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Pruitt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 am

The Sybian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am
Pruitt wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am
Gunpowder wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 am
Sophie Scholl, a spreader of #FakeNews with #HitlerDerangementSyndrome????
If she was so great, how come she stopped fighting the Nazis before the job was done? Quitter!!!
Is it just me, or does it seem really odd to honor someone executed by guillotine with a bust on the wall?


Image
Especially a head that looks so precariously perched. Maybe that was the artist's point?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 14274
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by rass » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm

I can't find an explainer on Operation Warpspeed that answers this question, but I assume that even if Pfizer (or Moderna or anyone) get completely pantsed on a vaccine by someone who can make it more quickly, or more effective, or cheaper or easier to distribute, that as long as their end result meets some set of standards they get paid/reimbursed anyway?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16820
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 pm

rass wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm
I can't find an explainer on Operation Warpspeed that answers this question, but I assume that even if Pfizer (or Moderna or anyone) get completely pantsed on a vaccine by someone who can make it more quickly, or more effective, or cheaper or easier to distribute, that as long as their end result meets some set of standards they get paid/reimbursed anyway?
This is my understanding.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2168
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm

Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21955
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm

HaulCitgo wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
HaulCitgo wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.
Hasn't it also been responsible more-or-less for curing all the diseases we've cured?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21955
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm
brian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
HaulCitgo wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.
Hasn't it also been responsible more-or-less for curing all the diseases we've cured?
Jonas Salk made exact 0 dollars for the polio vaccine.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:24 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:10 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm
brian wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
HaulCitgo wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Wonder why they don't let them sell maybe 10% at market cost. That would pay back everyone immediately. What do you think the avg cost would be on the first 1000 doses at highest bidders on Dec. 10? More than a million?
Capitalism is a disease.
Hasn't it also been responsible more-or-less for curing all the diseases we've cured?
Jonas Salk made exact 0 dollars for the polio vaccine.
Too bad for him.

Do you happen to know if all the other steps to get from his lab to worldwide application was all done by non-profits and governments? Or was there private enterprise along the way?

(Also, that's great as far as polio goes, but I would bet most of the other cures we deal with had at least some private enterprise involvement,no?)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

HaulCitgo
Donny
Posts: 2168
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by HaulCitgo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Yeesh. You keep waiting on those Mexican pharma R&D investments come through and deliver a shot at less than the $20-30 it is expected to cost. Shit they probably (definitely) couldnt come up with one for a million a pop.

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4946
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DaveInSeattle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am

To Wear Their Masks, the Beards (and a Tradition) Had to Go
Tony Cammarata dreaded the news he had to deliver to his employees. They were not losing their jobs. They were not losing their perks.

They were losing their beards.

Cammarata, who oversees the ski patrol for an area in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver, had to clamp down on the facial hair so that the patrol could properly wear their N95 respirator masks for protection in the coronavirus pandemic.

But he knew this would be a tough measure to accept for the men on his crew (47 of the resort’s 56 patrollers). For the vast majority of them, beards and the ski patrol go together like snow and the mountains.

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2829
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by EnochRoot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 am

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:05 am
To Wear Their Masks, the Beards (and a Tradition) Had to Go
Tony Cammarata dreaded the news he had to deliver to his employees. They were not losing their jobs. They were not losing their perks.

They were losing their beards.

Cammarata, who oversees the ski patrol for an area in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver, had to clamp down on the facial hair so that the patrol could properly wear their N95 respirator masks for protection in the coronavirus pandemic.

But he knew this would be a tough measure to accept for the men on his crew (47 of the resort’s 56 patrollers). For the vast majority of them, beards and the ski patrol go together like snow and the mountains.
But...the beard contest before the first snowfall!

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
The Dude
Posts: 5719
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by DSafetyGuy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm

My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 16820
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by A_B » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:03 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm
My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
Dang. Hope she has mild symptoms.
The wife just accidentally called you. “Accidentally”. Sorry

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 20215
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:20 pm

Fuck. Good luck, hope its mild or asymptomatic.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4934
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Johnny Carwash » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Best wishes DSafe.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21955
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: El lugar de ser
Contact:

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by brian » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm
My mother got a positive test result for her 70th birthday today.
My mom just turned 70 in January and she's worried sick about getting COVID (justifiably so, she's in horrible health to begin with). Sending positive thoughts your mom's way.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
The Dude
Posts: 5259
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Shit, man. Good luck, MamaSafe.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6518
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Giff » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Sorry to hear that DSafe.
Muh.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 12044
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by sancarlos » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Sorry, DSafe.

Spoke to my parents yesterday and was a bit surprised to hear my father say he is somewhat worried about my brother and his wife visiting my mother and him, because brother isn’t very good about Covid prevention.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

Post Reply