Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:35 am And all of that is why I look back to the WH --- federal direction and funding of the the vaccine delivery should have been the primary consideration for so large a project. This is the same the-market-will-take-care-of-it-better crap that we saw when the pandemic started and there were not enough N-95 masks (there still are not btw).

When we needed tanks and planes in 1941 - the US govt funded/built them. They didn't farm that shit out.

This should have been the same way. Asking hospitals, clinics, CVS, etc to do this on a mass scale was folly.
The US government funded tanks and planes, sure. But the private sector designed and manufactured them. And of course there were lots of disasters and delays and fuckups along the way.

Is there a federal infrastructure that involves delivering health care at an individual level? If not, they'd have to do it from scratch.

Though maybe we should have the Post Office do it.
There is literally Nat'l Guard in every state. Who could have been trained and ready to go with mass vaccination centers. Under the direction of doctors etc. There are SO many ways this could have been better. I don't know why you are defending the WH on this, they LITERALLY did not even try.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am There is literally Nat'l Guard in every state. Who could have been trained and ready to go with mass vaccination centers. Under the direction of doctors etc. There are SO many ways this could have been better. I don't know why you are defending the WH on this, they LITERALLY did not even try.
Yeah, I'll defer to someone who better understands mass logistics than I do, but I don't get why we're not approaching this shit like WW2 when we were turning out a new Navy ship every day.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:17 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:12 am There is literally Nat'l Guard in every state. Who could have been trained and ready to go with mass vaccination centers. Under the direction of doctors etc. There are SO many ways this could have been better. I don't know why you are defending the WH on this, they LITERALLY did not even try.
Yeah, I'll defer to someone who better understands mass logistics than I do, but I don't get why we're not approaching this shit like WW2 when we were turning out a new Navy ship every day.
Everyone is desperate to get back to "normal" - and yet, at the precipice, it's all fucked. I will just assume incompetence, but at its heart, I also think they (the WH( wanted to make it as slow a rollout as possible. For whatever reason.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

And the longer they dither, the more the virus mutates - so far the vaccines supposed to be effective against the mutations, but they are playing with fire here.

On top of that, I kinda question the order of people being vaccinated. I understand the bent toward the nursing home folks first but...those folks are not moving around the community. Better to have vaccinated all of the workers in the nursing homes and then targeted, I dunno, the 20-30 somethings most likely to spread this shit? Maybe try and stop community spread that way?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am And the longer they dither, the more the virus mutates - so far the vaccines supposed to be effective against the mutations, but they are playing with fire here.

On top of that, I kinda question the order of people being vaccinated. I understand the bent toward the nursing home folks first but...those folks are not moving around the community. Better to have vaccinated all of the workers in the nursing homes and then targeted, I dunno, the 20-30 somethings most likely to spread this shit? Maybe try and stop community spread that way?
Every one who storms a state capitol should have to get the vaccine first.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 am And the longer they dither, the more the virus mutates - so far the vaccines supposed to be effective against the mutations, but they are playing with fire here.

I agree, it would make more sense to vaccinate spreaders, then again, they aren't sure if vaccinated and immune people can spread the virus, so maybe it wouldn't work. Ultimately, they are looking to lower deaths first rather than lower the spread, which is a lot more difficult to measure. What's upsetting is hearing of stores of vaccines not getting used for various reasons. Or the battle between DeBlassio and Cuomo. Cuomo ordered that vaccines go to health care workers first, but so many health care workers in NYC are refusing vaccines, they were going to waste, so DeBlassio ordered they use the vaccines on elderly. Cuomo was pissed DeBlassio defied his order, but fuck it, why waste good vaccines?

Rass, thank you for the detailed specifics on stumbling blocks. It makes no sense to leave States and municipalities on their own to figure this out. The Federal government should have rolled out an initiative and coordinated planning, but they didn't, so everyone needs to figure this out on their own. Alternatively, I heard that none of these stumbling blocks are real, and it's no different than dishing out fast food.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 amOn top of that, I kinda question the order of people being vaccinated. I understand the bent toward the nursing home folks first but...those folks are not moving around the community. Better to have vaccinated all of the workers in the nursing homes and then targeted, I dunno, the 20-30 somethings most likely to spread this shit? Maybe try and stop community spread that way?
I imagine the goal is to stop deaths and hospital overcrowding so you go in order of those most likely to end up there, right? All it takes is one unvaccinated nursing home worker or 3rd party (or visitor?) to cause a massive and deadly outbreak.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:33 amOn top of that, I kinda question the order of people being vaccinated. I understand the bent toward the nursing home folks first but...those folks are not moving around the community. Better to have vaccinated all of the workers in the nursing homes and then targeted, I dunno, the 20-30 somethings most likely to spread this shit? Maybe try and stop community spread that way?
I think because of the length of time it will take to get enough vaccines out there, and the extent of coverage you need to markedly stop spread, doing it the way you're suggesting would lead to a lot more death. Every day I look at the reports from Utah, and the majority of victims are in the 65-84 age range. There's one or two 45-64 every day, and only rarely someone younger.

Of course maybe I'm motivated by self-interest because I want my mom to get vaccinated sooner.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 am
I imagine the goal is to stop deaths and hospital overcrowding so you go in order of those most likely to end up there, right? All it takes is one unvaccinated nursing home worker or 3rd party (or visitor?) to cause a massive and deadly outbreak.
Sure. I am sure that is right, and maybe correct. But cutting transmission by going after the likely spreaders (college kids, the bar types, etc) higher in priority than they currently are is something I hope was at least looked at.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure the real answer is something like "the private nursing home lobby saw positioning themselves at the front of the line was a way to ensure no more revenue was lost due to resident deaths".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's been at least 22 million Americans who have recovered and should have antibodies for the immediate future and I'll just bet you at least 50 percent of those are going to "jump the line" when the time comes instead of waiting until summer just because they can (I'm not talking about seniors who recovered -- they should still be vaccinated in the first wave or at least the second). I'm talking about Cletus Buttfuck, who got COVID while at a pool party with 200 people in June and remembers how much it sucked to have it and doesn't have any issues with being first in line for the vaccine in February because by God, no one's gonna tell him what to do.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's happening here. I know that I could be fully vaccinated this time next month by claiming a co-morbidity they'll never check because its not worth the administrative effort.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 pm That's happening here. I know that I could be fully vaccinated this time next month by claiming a co-morbidity they'll never check because its not worth the administrative effort.
But the health department has to screen and verify your medical records first.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 pm That's happening here. I know that I could be fully vaccinated this time next month by claiming a co-morbidity they'll never check because its not worth the administrative effort.
I saw NJ added "smoking" as a category of people to get in the next group. How do they verify that one?
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thhttps://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/slides-12-20

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 pm
It's *not* worth the administrative effort. Let's get vaccines in arms, the more the merrier. If someone wants to claim a co-morbidity, let's take them at their word rather than stop and require people to provide medical records and dedicate staff to reviewing them.

I know they studied the shit out of this. There was some big foofaraw on Twitter about this involving Nate Silver and Matt Yglesias. I don't remember exactly what all that is about but here's a sample of some of the work done by the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meeti ... ooling.pdf
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Either that first part is what's happening here or two (2) people are lying to them or me about co-morbidities.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Orange.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:23 pm
I saw NJ added "smoking" as a category of people to get in the next group. How do they verify that one?
A valid New Jersey driver's license?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thhttps://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2020-12/slides-12-20

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 pm
It's *not* worth the administrative effort. Let's get vaccines in arms, the more the merrier. If someone wants to claim a co-morbidity, let's take them at their word rather than stop and require people to provide medical records and dedicate staff to reviewing them.

I know they studied the shit out of this. There was some big foofaraw on Twitter about this involving Nate Silver and Matt Yglesias. I don't remember exactly what all that is about but here's a sample of some of the work done by the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meeti ... ooling.pdf
Agree until I hear 75year olds clamoring that it's 3 weeks out to get a shot, I say go for it. This is only personal experience but everyone I know who has not been a healthcare worker here who has signed up has been able to get scheduled within 7 days. Until people are standing in like for hours to hear they're out of tickets like a concert, I say jab anyone who can find time to get thee to a hospital.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I mean, SO many people are refusing to get vaccinations - and with stories of them spoiling in meantime - just open that shit up and let people who want to get the shot, get the shot. Start there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:47 pm I mean, SO many people are refusing to get vaccinations - and with stories of them spoiling in meantime - just open that shit up and let people who want to get the shot, get the shot. Start there.
I was thinking this too, but I was reading someone yesterday talking about what a madhouse it was when word got around that extra vaccines were available in Brooklyn. Though maybe that's like early voting or a big new movie, where lines will go way down in a couple of weeks.

I'd love to see some system where until 2pm (or whatever), shots are only available to people in whatever priority groups are being served. After 2pm, first come first served until the day's allotment is gone.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Why aren't they running 24hrs? 9-5 is insane. People would show at 2:30 am
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I still think it is rooted in this...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 pm Why aren't they running 24hrs? 9-5 is insane. People would show at 2:30 am
I'm pretty sure Citi Field is going to be 24/7.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

huh

Unrelated(?), the wife's HD just learned that the state will only be providing 100 of the 300 doses they requested for their next clinic. They processed just under 300 the other day.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In NJ, I tried to pre-register my parents, 80 and 81, who both had cancer treatments within the last four years, and the initial open slot was fucking March. Even though they say no walk-ins I’m tempted to go to a vaccination site and pointing to them at the intake and have them tell me it’s too early.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:14 pm In NJ, I tried to pre-register my parents, 80 and 81, who both had cancer treatments within the last four years, and the initial open slot was fucking March. Even though they say no walk-ins I’m tempted to go to a vaccination site and pointing to them at the intake and have them tell me it’s too early.
As I posted upthread, my 85 and 81 parents in New Mexico are getting one on the 26th, and it was three weeks out from when they got their appointments.

Here in California, it appears it will be late spring at best before my 61 year-old body gets a shot.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:13 pm ...the wife's HD just learned that the state will only be providing 100 of the 300 doses they requested for their next clinic. They processed just under 300 the other day.
Well, the bigger city next door (around 144K vs around 85K) got 2000 doses so maybe they just screwed over the one health department.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF's younger brother's latest illustration for the NY Times:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Legend.

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58 am
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:35 am And all of that is why I look back to the WH --- federal direction and funding of the the vaccine delivery should have been the primary consideration for so large a project. This is the same the-market-will-take-care-of-it-better crap that we saw when the pandemic started and there were not enough N-95 masks (there still are not btw).

When we needed tanks and planes in 1941 - the US govt funded/built them. They didn't farm that shit out.

This should have been the same way. Asking hospitals, clinics, CVS, etc to do this on a mass scale was folly.
The US government funded tanks and planes, sure. But the private sector designed and manufactured them. And of course there were lots of disasters and delays and fuckups along the way.

Is there a federal infrastructure that involves delivering health care at an individual level? If not, they'd have to do it from scratch.

Though maybe we should have the Post Office do it.
This is brilliant actually. They have physical infrastructure set up nationally can accept shipments easily and have motor vehicle access and an in place workforce used to physical in person demands during a pandemic. National guard working out of post offices sounds pretty good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was worried I might have contracted the COVID but started feeling much better/normal after 24 hours. But for a day it was like some malevolent being was squeezing my chest.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:56 pm Was worried I might have contracted the COVID but started feeling much better/normal after 24 hours. But for a day it was like some malevolent being was squeezing my chest.
Funny. I was in almost the same exact boat. Weird. I think in the end it was just too much to drink on Friday and being out of shape made for a bad Saturday.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:56 pm Was worried I might have contracted the COVID but started feeling much better/normal after 24 hours. But for a day it was like some malevolent being was squeezing my chest.
That will teach you to come back to America.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:15 pm
That will teach you to come back to America.
I guess it’s true, Mexico really is sending their worst people
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good news! My wife's family got through it and came out ok. No one died.

Bad news! Someone I was in a meeting with 13 days ago popped positive within the last day or so (we all wore masks and I didn't come within 6 feet of her in that meeting). I was placed on a "close contact" list because of said meeting. After the rules changing 6 times between yesterday afternoon and today as to whether I isolate or not, I was swabbed and am now in quarantine for 14 days. Hopefully common sense prevails, but I doubt it.

This shit is fucking frustrating.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad to hear about your wife’s family, Johnnie. Good luck with your quarantine!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 pm Glad to hear about your wife’s family, Johnnie. Good luck with your quarantine!
Thank you, buddy!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 pm Glad to hear about your wife’s family, Johnnie. Good luck with your quarantine!
Thank you, buddy!
There are worse ways to spend two weeks.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rest well!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."