Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

Sorry TB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry, TB. That's rough.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:53 am Relatedly, if you have a chance at a shot, fucking get the shot.
Perfect timing. My wife is now furious with me for canceling, as she forgot I've been diagnosed with asthma and have a prescription inhaler.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Really sorry to hear that TB.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I'm sorry to hear that, TB. My condolences.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Sorry to hear this, TB.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

oof. I'm sorry to hear this, TB.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Texas committed to killing as many people as possible before COVID is done.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Texas committed to killing as many people as possible before COVID is done.
MIssissippi, too, on a slightly smaller scale.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

If they would just wait a hair longer...

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm not OK. I'm fucking enraged.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:44 pm I'm not OK. I'm fucking enraged.
Move to NJ, I know a great house for sale next door to me. It has a huge built in grill and a great gameroom in the basement.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:30 pm If they would just wait a hair longer...

I do think the Biden Administration or CDC needs to step in and give a date when they think it will be safe to open. Their messaging basically hasn't changed since last fall.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:06 pm

I do think the Biden Administration or CDC needs to step in and give a date when they think it will be safe to open. Their messaging basically hasn't changed since last fall.
You can't, there are too many unknown variables, and things change all the time. If they believe it's June, then a new insanely contagious variant mutates, people will freak out. Similarly, if you take a conservative approach and say open everything by September, people will get discouraged and feel hopeless, and if everything goes better, they'll get accused of setting pessimistic deadlines to make them look good.

I listened to an interesting podcast with Andy Slavitt, who is in charge of Biden's COVID plan. He was explaining the inconsistencies in timelines, and basically, facts on the ground drastically changed. When Biden said July, they weren't factoring in J&J, so now that J&J is approved, the timeline shortened.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm

You can't, there are too many unknown variables, and things change all the time. If they believe it's June, then a new insanely contagious variant mutates, people will freak out. Similarly, if you take a conservative approach and say open everything by September, people will get discouraged and feel hopeless, and if everything goes better, they'll get accused of setting pessimistic deadlines to make them look good.

I listened to an interesting podcast with Andy Slavitt, who is in charge of Biden's COVID plan. He was explaining the inconsistencies in timelines, and basically, facts on the ground drastically changed. When Biden said July, they weren't factoring in J&J, so now that J&J is approved, the timeline shortened.
Okay, maybe if the facts change then you have to update your recommendation, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to continue to abstain from social intercourse indefinitely. The result is things like Texas and Louisiana simply eliminating restrictions, almost certainly to be followed by a whole bunch of other states in the next two weeks.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Okay, maybe if the facts change then you have to update your recommendation, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to continue to abstain from social intercourse indefinitely. The result is things like Texas and Louisiana simply eliminating restrictions, almost certainly to be followed by a whole bunch of other states in the next two weeks.
I hear ya, it would be nice to have an end in sight. The most trustworthy President said it would magically disappear by Easter, and people loved hearing that.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Whatever. Show me a vaccine that’s effective through 84 days.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Check the cock & balls thread?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:19 pm Texas committed to killing as many people as possible before COVID is done.
The strategy’s focus sharpens.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Getting my shot today. I hope it's the J&J one since that is the one I registered for yesterday afternoon.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm taking my parents today for their second shots. That'll be a huge weight lifted.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Vaccine success stories should get their own thread. Just don’t call it Man’s Best Medicine.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Good Fluid Injections"

My parents just got round 1 yesterday then Popeye's on the way home so a big day in "upstate" NY.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Wife signed up for her shot yesterday. School corp that she works for got an agreement with Meijer to administer the shots. Pretty impressive since Indiana governor doesn't include teachers as essential workers. Makes me happy. And the state just dropped to 50 after announcing 55 at beginning of week. So it looks like age range for 40-45 should be opening up in the next week or two.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am Wife signed up for her shot yesterday. School corp that she works for got an agreement with Meijer to administer the shots. Pretty impressive since Indiana governor doesn't include teachers as essential workers. Makes me happy. And the state just dropped to 50 after announcing 55 at beginning of week. So it looks like age range for 40-45 should be opening up in the next week or two.
Limits are dropping like a rock here. I don't like Indiana politics and I didn't understand the teacher thing, but given what I'm hearing about our neighbors, Indiana has done a fantastic job with vaccine rollout.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:46 am
duff wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am Wife signed up for her shot yesterday. School corp that she works for got an agreement with Meijer to administer the shots. Pretty impressive since Indiana governor doesn't include teachers as essential workers. Makes me happy. And the state just dropped to 50 after announcing 55 at beginning of week. So it looks like age range for 40-45 should be opening up in the next week or two.
Limits are dropping like a rock here. I don't like Indiana politics and I didn't understand the teacher thing, but given what I'm hearing about our neighbors, Indiana has done a fantastic job with vaccine rollout.
I agree. The only issue I have with the rollout is Holcomb's desire to throw teachers under the bus while pushing to open schools full time.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I had a luncheon spring on me today. Had to do some video stuff for a presentation. So, the "perk" was I got a free steak lunch. Cool. Steak lunch! Not cool. Tables of six, not distanced, and a decidedly, how shall I say, right-leaning crowd (though at least three of the others at my table have already had Covid). I ate half my meal, nearly had a coughing fit at the table, but made it to the restroom, and coughed myself into gagging (this happens from time to time) and got a bloody nose. On top of that, I dropped vinaigrette on my nice shirt on my VERY FIRST bite. I have literally forgotten how to eat in public.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm I had a luncheon spring on me today. Had to do some video stuff for a presentation. So, the "perk" was I got a free steak lunch. Cool. Steak lunch! Not cool. Tables of six, not distanced, and a decidedly, how shall I say, right-leaning crowd (though at least three of the others at my table have already had Covid). I ate half my meal, nearly had a coughing fit at the table, but made it to the restroom, and coughed myself into gagging (this happens from time to time) and got a bloody nose. On top of that, I dropped vinaigrette on my nice shirt on my VERY FIRST bite. I have literally forgotten how to eat in public.
Fuck.

Stress sucks.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm I had a luncheon spring on me today. Had to do some video stuff for a presentation. So, the "perk" was I got a free steak lunch. Cool. Steak lunch! Not cool. Tables of six, not distanced, and a decidedly, how shall I say, right-leaning crowd (though at least three of the others at my table have already had Covid). I ate half my meal, nearly had a coughing fit at the table, but made it to the restroom, and coughed myself into gagging (this happens from time to time) and got a bloody nose. On top of that, I dropped vinaigrette on my nice shirt on my VERY FIRST bite. I have literally forgotten how to eat in public.
That's not a fun story - sounds like a nightmare...

But your last line is a classic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

One year ago today:

Who would have guessed we would still be dealing with this, 1 year and 500K+ deaths later...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not sure I would have thought this at this time last year, but looks like COVID is going to make it over the finish line as the largest mass casualty event in American history, outpacing the Civil War (620K) and Spanish Flu (650K).

Thanks, Trump.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.
On a different team, so no shared bus ride?

I don't think you should worry.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If it’s easy to get tested where you live, it’d be worth the effort.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:36 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.

Yeah, other team. No busses, this is 12 year old club soccer. I got a text from one parent who said he is bringing his daughter to get tested tomorrow. I don't think a negative test 2 days from exposure would mean much, can't it take longer to test positive? It was the last game of the tourney, so Sunday at 5:30. Coach sent the email letting everyone know, said they are deciding as a club how to handle it, but wanted to let everyone know in case we wanted to keep the kids out of school or avoid contact with high risk family members. I respect their approach. I'd think they would have thought this through before hand and had a plan for when an opponent notified us of a positive test. My kids are remote this week anyways, so I can think about it for a 6 days. My daughter wore a mask on Saturday, but took it off during the second game, as she was having trouble breathing with it on.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 pm

Yeah, other team. No busses, this is 12 year old club soccer. I got a text from one parent who said he is bringing his daughter to get tested tomorrow. I don't think a negative test 2 days from exposure would mean much, can't it take longer to test positive? It was the last game of the tourney, so Sunday at 5:30. Coach sent the email letting everyone know, said they are deciding as a club how to handle it, but wanted to let everyone know in case we wanted to keep the kids out of school or avoid contact with high risk family members. I respect their approach. I'd think they would have thought this through before hand and had a plan for when an opponent notified us of a positive test. My kids are remote this week anyways, so I can think about it for a 6 days. My daughter wore a mask on Saturday, but took it off during the second game, as she was having trouble breathing with it on.
ECLN and Surf Soccer Docs published papers said exposure risk is very low. Nothing wrong with being conservative but the %, risks, and historical incidents from this type of exposure probably make this a nothing for your daughter.

Note-not a doctor, did not stay at a holiday inn.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I've got a relative stack of those (4) from soccer exposure. The first time they went virtual. Now it's just an email an they keep playing. low risk from what I can tell. Recently got another email exposure letter from the school and it said someone in your kids class (of 9) got covid but your kid isn't a close contact because he sits on the other side of the room. More like he's a boy and covid breath is a girl so they don't interact. No quarantine needed. No symptoms. He's good... Though he does have a headache right now. Almost certainly pollen. He always struggles this time of year. She's good. Weve learned to treat everyone like they have it and the boy in particular does a good job. Soccer has definitely helped to teach him covid safety. Back of huddles. Off bench. Hes learned to play with a mask on but the powers that be seem that too intrusive to the parents watching so sans mask between the lines. Some clubs do much better than others (ours) in terms of masks on sidelines and parents. I don't feel much a need on sidelines cause space and outdoors but it's loosey goosey for sure.

Indiscriminate risk taking officially back on here though. Fucking batmitsfa this weekend. Gee thanks for putting me in a situation to fight with the girl. How is this different dad? We'll be safe dad? It's covid protocols dad. Fuck that. Those parents won't do shit to interrupt their wonderful daughters party and those girls will be taking selfies maskless. Soccer ok. Religious shindigs. Not ok.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:47 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 pm

ECLN and Surf Soccer Docs published papers said exposure risk is very low. Nothing wrong with being conservative but the %, risks, and historical incidents from this type of exposure probably make this a nothing for your daughter.

Note-not a doctor, did not stay at a holiday inn.
My daughter's club is ECNL and a member of Surf Soccer, so I'm sure they defer to both of those organizations protocols.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 pmI don't think a negative test 2 days from exposure would mean much, can't it take longer to test positive?
Based on what I was told when my daughter got Covid, this is correct. Two days after exposure is not enough time to necessarily be "sick" enough to either test positive or transmit the disease to others. When we were quarantined, the fourteen-day period started three days after the last time we had been exposed to our daughter.