Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

serrano
Brandt

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by serrano »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:18 pm
serrano wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm Three feet is pretty close. How much closer would everyone be in normal times?
A foot closer? I used to have everyone in seated pairs or in a horse shoe so in my classes they might have been even closer than that.

Our district (hs only) started saying the same thing, Ed, last week but i don’t think the CDC guidelines have changed. Parents are still sending their kids in even though they have symptoms. And there are teachers not opening their own windows and that pisses me off.
Here's more on it: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... distancing

It looks like the CDC will go to 3 feet, which I probably agree with depending on good mask wearing, ventilation, and limited time stuck together. It's just the timing and all the other reasons they're giving to reopen which are driving me crazy -- just stop with the bullshit and say you need the free daycare schools provide ASAP. Changing everyone's schedule to give kids 2 or 3 months of in-person learning will not help children much in the long-term and may actually hurt many kids, but maybe doing it will help the economy.
When everyone says “kids, especially the younger ones, need to be back in school”, I can get behind that philosophically. But getting schools open ≠ normal instruction. Many of my activities are hands-on collaborative assignments that require the sharing of materials, or other assignments where students turn their desks to face each other in tight quarters. What students are currently getting is “welcome to class to my 4 students out of who are in person, jump on the zoom please so you fully participate in the lesson “. Being back is definitely better for some kids, but the reality doesn’t really live up to the dreams their parents have about what is actually happening.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

serrano wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 pm
EdRomero wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:18 pm
serrano wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm Three feet is pretty close. How much closer would everyone be in normal times?
A foot closer? I used to have everyone in seated pairs or in a horse shoe so in my classes they might have been even closer than that.

Our district (hs only) started saying the same thing, Ed, last week but i don’t think the CDC guidelines have changed. Parents are still sending their kids in even though they have symptoms. And there are teachers not opening their own windows and that pisses me off.
Here's more on it: https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... distancing

It looks like the CDC will go to 3 feet, which I probably agree with depending on good mask wearing, ventilation, and limited time stuck together. It's just the timing and all the other reasons they're giving to reopen which are driving me crazy -- just stop with the bullshit and say you need the free daycare schools provide ASAP. Changing everyone's schedule to give kids 2 or 3 months of in-person learning will not help children much in the long-term and may actually hurt many kids, but maybe doing it will help the economy.
When everyone says “kids, especially the younger ones, need to be back in school”, I can get behind that philosophically. But getting schools open ≠ normal instruction. Many of my activities are hands-on collaborative assignments that require the sharing of materials, or other assignments where students turn their desks to face each other in tight quarters. What students are currently getting is “welcome to class to my 4 students out of who are in person, jump on the zoom please so you fully participate in the lesson “. Being back is definitely better for some kids, but the reality doesn’t really live up to the dreams their parents have about what is actually happening.
This is not meant for the students. It is a way to get the kids out of the house and those parents that stayed home back to the workforce. Governments view public education as a necessary evil. And they view those working in education in lower regard.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm 4 weeks in Ky so I’m 4/7
that rural moderna vaccine for both the bay area and the coal state
I got pfizer.
why would they push you out four weeks instead of three then?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 am
A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 pm 4 weeks in Ky so I’m 4/7
that rural moderna vaccine for both the bay area and the coal state
I got pfizer.
why would they push you out four weeks instead of three then?
No idea, but that's how they made the appointments. I imagine it's related to not knowing exactly which they were going to get when i scheduled?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that would make sense. I don't think there's any "downside" to waiting an extra week on the pfizer

it's crazy how bad the vaccine rollout here in MO is going. people from StL are driving all over the state while appointments are unavailable all over the city.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 am that would make sense. I don't think there's any "downside" to waiting an extra week on the pfizer

it's crazy how bad the vaccine rollout here in MO is going. people from StL are driving all over the state while appointments are unavailable all over the city.
BFIV.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Same in atlanta. Hard to get in metro but sc border and s georgia open spots within a week. Lots of road trips and gov is advising folks to make the drive.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 am that would make sense. I don't think there's any "downside" to waiting an extra week on the pfizer

and like 10 minutes after I posted that I found a vaccine appt at a sam's club in StL for LA's dad. my work is done!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

serrano wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 pm

If you had posted this a couple months ago, you could have saved a fight with my son. He was insistent on not going back to school after Winter break. Before break, with so many kids quarantining before visiting family for Christmas, he was literally the only kid in one of his classes, and the teacher was at home, so he was in the class on Zoom with a substitute baby sitting. Most classes had 2 or 3 kids and were all taught via Zoom even when the teacher was in the room. I think he is a lot happier when he gets out of the house, and I think it's gotten better this semester.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Schools and kids adjust and things get better, but with every change, they need to adjust. The argument that annoys me is saying we need to open because of all the depressed kids. Granted, schools can offer better service in person, but the depression is happening because the pandemic is ruining lives, not because kids can't go into their "work."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's good to know people. One of my wife's good friends is a nurse supervisor for our medical group. She phoned my wife this afternoon and said, "we are done for the day giving shots to people with appointments, and we have some leftover vaccination doses that will go to waste unless people use them. So, if you want a shot, come down here right now!" So she did, and got her first dose and an appointment for her second.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:43 am Schools and kids adjust and things get better, but with every change, they need to adjust. The argument that annoys me is saying we need to open because of all the depressed kids. Granted, schools can offer better service in person, but the depression is happening because the pandemic is ruining lives, not because kids can't go into their "work."
To me the “kids need to be in school” argument has a big aspect of “these kids need to get out of my house for a little while”. Not sure how big, and I do think in school learning is a better environment.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For sure. And beyond that, even if some really do need it, does that somehow outweigh a teacher’s right to feel safe?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:49 pm For sure. And beyond that, even if some really do need it, does that somehow outweigh a teacher’s right to feel safe?
I think a teacher’s right to *be* safe is very important. But I’m less sure about a teacher’s right to *feel* safe, when it comes down to leaving kids without real learning.

Then again, it boggles my mind that in some states teachers haven’t been been vaccinated yet.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wife got poked today. Pfizer round 1.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:34 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:49 pm For sure. And beyond that, even if some really do need it, does that somehow outweigh a teacher’s right to feel safe?
I think a teacher’s right to *be* safe is very important. But I’m less sure about a teacher’s right to *feel* safe, when it comes down to leaving kids without real learning.
Sorry, but that's just bullshit; there is real learning in virtual classrooms. What I've seen from elementary teachers is amazing, and for many schools there will be a step back with the switch to in-person learning. Schools are planning on doing the first six weeks lessons when every one returns in April, so instead of continuing a well established routine, students will be going back to lessons on learning each others names and all the procedures of the classroom --it's a deliberate process that will slow everything down.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Then again, it boggles my mind that in some states teachers haven’t been been vaccinated yet.
I take umbrage to your use of "real learning". My wife took on the role of virtual teacher this year. She puts in more time on lessons and communication then any of her previous 20 years. Just because it is virtual doesn't mean it is not real learning. It just isn't what you are used to. My daughters are doing better academically being virtual. The oldest said it is easier to focus without the other kids. But she does miss the social aspect.

Here in Indiana teachers aren't considered essential workers. Thankfully our school district was able to work something out with Meijer to get the teachers vaccinated.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

You’re both right - my saying “without real learning” was wrong. And believe me, I know the great lengths teachers and hands-on parents are going to. That’s my bad.

It’s probably better to say something like “less effective” learning. Maybe I’m getting misinformed, but what I’ve read here and there suggests that remote learning isn’t working very well for many, including disadvantaged minority kids.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Teachers have kids and families too, ya know.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:03 pm You’re both right - my saying “without real learning” was wrong. And believe me, I know the great lengths teachers and hands-on parents are going to. That’s my bad.

It’s probably better to say something like “less effective” learning. Maybe I’m getting misinformed, but what I’ve read here and there suggests that remote learning isn’t working very well for many, including disadvantaged minority kids.
You're right and sorry if it felt like an attack. I'm just frustrated with how the national discussion about this goes.
-Education for the disadvantaged is a huge problem, and ideally, progressive social support systems will help (but probably not)
-Remote learning works well for others and not for others. Basically, it's a continuation of how school was before the epidemic, but now on steroids.

Teachers made remote learning work and I thought more effort should have been made to make it work even more and the push back to the classroom stopped this.

Even before the epidemic, my views on education probably are not very mainstream. I think there is an over focused panic on keeping up, and we'd be better off all just calming down and get kids to develop a love of learning/reading/inquisitiveness and building the skills that help him them get there...so the "falling behind" thing is less important than if the child is trying to learn. A kindergartner that doesn't learn to read this year will learn next year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

100%. Our K teacher this year has done an insane job and was clearly terrified of going back before being vaccinated. I'd love for each parent who had her back in for 4 days before they went all virtual again to have to tell her, face to face, why their expectations for in-school learning superseded her desire to stay safe. People who want to fuck up during this pandemic can and will, but they should have zero say when it comes to assuming that risk for others.

(Anecdotally, we know a family who was big pushing for normal school and I believe they're headed private next year over this. Guess who has a Covid positive parent and atleast one kid this week? Total infringement on their rights that the kid wasn't able to infect anyone else before showing symptoms.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.
Team placed in 10 day quarantine, which ended yesterday. First league game on Saturday. Got notice last night that game is postponed due to positive kid on other team who exposed the entire team, so they are under quarantine. Not off to a good start. I’m concerned that people see the light and are starting to feel safer and no longer taking precautions. Positive cases in town have been very high the past 6 weeks. Over 120 new reported cases in March already. In the plus side, we went for a hike in a woodsy park, and I’d say over half the people hiking were masked even though there werent many people out.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Utah just announced open eligibility for anyone 16 and older. So now it's time to push my kids to get vaccinated.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:07 pm Utah just announced open eligibility for anyone 16 and older. So now it's time to push my kids to get vaccinated.
We're thinking about flying back to Las Vegas around the end of April for a long weekend four weeks before our already-planned trip at the end of May since we think we'll probably because able to get our first shot pretty easily and then can get the second shot in May. If the flight only costs about $400 or so, we'll probably do it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kind of wondering whether to take my 14 yr old in when 16s come up. Can't imagine they would give her a problem. 12 yr old not so much. Can't really pass for 16. But what they gonna do? We're a long way off from that here though. No where near 16. Still on 55 or 65.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:29 pm Kind of wondering whether to take my 14 yr old in when 16s come up. Can't imagine they would give her a problem. 12 yr old not so much. Can't really pass for 16. But what they gonna do? We're a long way off from that here though. No where near 16. Still on 55 or 65.
That does raise the question about whether they'll require ID for kids. A lot of kids under 18 don't even have driver's licenses these days, at least around here.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So Maryland just expanded eligibility for vaccines. According to the WaPo, those 50 and over will be able to schedule an appointment on April 13th.

A while later they updated it to "those 55 and over.."

So 54 and under need to wait until they open it up for everyone else on April 27th.

Yay.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Orange County (Orlando) just announced 40+ beginning on Monday.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm So Maryland just expanded eligibility for vaccines. According to the WaPo, those 50 and over will be able to schedule an appointment on April 13th.

So 54 and under need to wait until they open it up for everyone else on April 27th.

Yay.
Sounds like some 53 year-old clerk tried to pull a fast one and it got caught. :^)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Missouri is opening up to everyone on April 9. That's great ... but there won't be enough vaccines for everyone for a while.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Wife and I started making life plans for May as potentially fully vaccinated during that window before they updated it.

I mean, I'm not trying to score any political points, but WaPo isn't some scooped out husk of a newspaper where its writers don't even live in the city/state they report on (yes I know WaPo technically isn't Maryland but whatever).
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

My school was having network issues so I kept getting kicked in and out of Zoom lessons I was leading. When I got booted, a second grader somehow automatically became the host of the meeting. We need to get all the kids back into the building.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm So Maryland just expanded eligibility for vaccines. According to the WaPo, those 50 and over will be able to schedule an appointment on April 13th.

Yay.
You really don't.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Yay.
You really don't.
I do have a fake mustache. Seriously though: are you saying to go get a comorbidity diagnosis, or just show up as a 50 year old and wait in line? I mean, we need appointments.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Yay.
You really don't.
I do have a fake mustache. Seriously though: are you saying to go get a comorbidity diagnosis, or just show up as a 50 year old and wait in line? I mean, we need appointments.
I think he is saying you can lie and nobody checks.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:37 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Yay.
You really don't.
I think he is saying you can lie and nobody checks.
Yeah it's this gout from all the bourbon I've been drinking during this pandemic. Or my BMI has passed by the evil fat guy in bed in those Monk episodes.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

You don't even have to lie. No one checks anything.

ETA: It's probably different in other states, but Hogan fucked up the rollout here. Just get the shot if you can.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm You don't even have to lie. No one checks anything.
They checked my Id and insurance card.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm You don't even have to lie. No one checks anything.
Just ID in Maryland, no insurance card needed to be shown here. But as long as I had an appt and they had a shot, that was all that was needed.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 pm
I don't have insurance any longer so hopefully that's not a thing in NV.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!