Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:10 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm You don't even have to lie. No one checks anything.
They checked my Id and insurance card.
The clinics I’ve worked we took and scanned/copied the insurance cards (no actual ID) because the health dept may get reimbursed at some point and that into may be needed. Insurance was not required.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm You don't even have to lie. No one checks anything.
The clinics I’ve worked we took and scanned/copied the insurance cards (no actual ID) because the health dept may get reimbursed at some point and that into may be needed. Insurance was not required.
I do think this is the case in Kentucky. Just a formality.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

ETA: It's probably different in other states, but Hogan fucked up the rollout here. Just get the shot if you can.
In NJ you have to say you are either over 65(?) or have one of the listed medical conditions. You don’t have to specify which one. Of course after I cancelled my appointment, they lowered the BMI limit, so I qualify now.

I volunteered at a clinic and got Moderna’d a couple weeks ago. I’m a little worried about the side effects on round 2, as I wasn’t feeling right the day after round one. Woke up with a headache I initially chalked up to sinuses, but Tylenol sinus didn’t work, and it was different. By noon I was weak, dizzy and had a very weird nausea. I had to teach a two hour webinar I’d never done before, which was fun, but I got through it. Not horrible and I’ll gladly deal with a worse version of that to get the second shot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

They checked ID for me. But they said that with the new Covid relief bill, the feds were picking up the cost so I didn’t need my insurance card.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

ETA: It's probably different in other states, but Hogan fucked up the rollout here. Just get the shot if you can.
As soon as Trump left office, he pivoted to antagonism instantly. All he had to do was STFU and dole out vaccines - staying in the middle of the pack and he'd have been a viable GOP option beyond the Trump era. Instead, he shit himself.

Why?

eta: thanks. We're going to schedule appointments.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Me too. In fact, I think they checked my ID three times.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 pm They checked ID for me. But they said that with the new Covid relief bill, the feds were picking up the cost so I didn’t need my insurance card.
Yeah, they have to check ID, I meant they don’t check if you actually have a medical condition. I was in a CVS that is giving vaccines. They just check your name, no questions about eligibility once you click the box on the website. I don’t blame them, can’t have store clerks arguing and keeping people from getting vaccines. Imagine the lawsuit if they wrongfully turned someone away and they gotbCOVID and died?
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm So Maryland just expanded eligibility for vaccines. According to the WaPo, those 50 and over will be able to schedule an appointment on April 13th.

A while later they updated it to "those 55 and over.."

So 54 and under need to wait until they open it up for everyone else on April 27th.

Yay.
Also, check the language they are using... "eligible" means you can pre-register... doesn't mean you are anywhere close to getting an actual appointment. Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I work adjacent to the people that word smith this stuff and I picked that language out early on.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

What he said. My entire group of neighborhood friends has no REAL valid reason to get the shot... More than a dozen are vaccinated (fully) at this point. Both my kids have ADHD and a letter from a professional, one has the first dose, I'm driving the other down to Bowie for his first shot today. Wife got her first shot last week, she BARELY has a comorbidity claim.

tb is right... They will check that you have a valid appointment and your driver's license... They ain't checking your justification for being there once you've made the appointment.

I was all prepared to show the letter from my work and my utility ID... Never asked for it once while going through the line (of cars.)

[Like tb said, this is very MD specific.]
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think the logistics of having pretty random people looking at doctor letters or letters from people's jobs justifying why they are in Phase 1c and all the shifting categories was never realistic. It was a way of attempting to lump people into broad categories and avoid a complete bum rush.

It was easy for me to justify... One of the categories was "Continuity of Government"... Thafuck does that mean? That could mean a whole bunch of things.

Shit, one of the categories is Food and Beverage... I work for a water utility. That's a beverage. Done.

(technically, utility workers were 1c, so... that was my "in".)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

What happened to the moral outrage from a couple weeks ago. Outraged until it's my kids, my wife, my funeral. Then it's fuck u I'm privileged. Not saying it bad people just that this convo has flipped 180 in three weeks.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 am What happened to the moral outrage from a couple weeks ago. Outraged until it's my kids, my wife, my funeral. Then it's fuck u I'm privileged. Not saying it bad people just that this convo has flipped 180 in three weeks.
My wife got hers when she was eligible. I got mine when I was eligible. The kid is getting it when it's time (April 12th is the opening for 16+). I still have issues with jumping line, like my wife's boss did in signing up his entire family because he had a link where he could do it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In my case it was Nevada making everyone older than 18 eligible at the beginning of April. Since I'm older than 18, that would make me eligible.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:49 am

What he said. My entire group of neighborhood friends has no REAL valid reason to get the shot... More than a dozen are vaccinated (fully) at this point. Both my kids have ADHD and a letter from a professional, one has the first dose, I'm driving the other down to Bowie for his first shot today. Wife got her first shot last week, she BARELY has a comorbidity claim.

tb is right... They will check that you have a valid appointment and your driver's license... They ain't checking your justification for being there once you've made the appointment.

I was all prepared to show the letter from my work and my utility ID... Never asked for it once while going through the line (of cars.)

[Like tb said, this is very MD specific.]
I'm gathering it's the same in Florida. No one ever checked my wife's Department of Health docs. Also, we just lowered the age to 50 statewide here.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 am What happened to the moral outrage from a couple weeks ago. Outraged until it's my kids, my wife, my funeral. Then it's fuck u I'm privileged. Not saying it bad people just that this convo has flipped 180 in three weeks.
Didn't see any outrage from me on that. Every shot in an arm helps us all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You are way over-stating a bit of hand wringing from one poster that was conflicted about it. Definitely not a wave of finger wagging at anyone. If anything there's a consistency on this board of "get the shot if you get a chance" from the vast majority.

But if if makes you feel better...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Get the shot if you're not taking it from someone else" sums up my thoughts. We're still phase one here and I'm still judging the line jumpers.

(We're on the call-if-you-have-extras list but haven't heard anything.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Somehow my 16 year old daughter has got an appointment to get the vaccine this morning. Not sure how that happened, but I'm going with her and hoping that they say 'might as well give you one' while I'm there.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm thinking that option is limited to pharmacies and primary care docs, cause the hospital venue I took my daughter to didn't allow a plus one to enter the facility.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am "Get the shot if you're not taking it from someone else" sums up my thoughts. We're still phase one here and I'm still judging the line jumpers.

Same with me. Though it's hard for me to judge too harshly now that I've gotten a vaccine and they are basically going to be universally available here next week. I can't really stand in the shoes of someone who is seeing vaccinations happen all over the place, including for people who obviously are not high priority (like me), with no confidence that it will be their turn any time soon.

I also wonder if there becomes a point where there are so many line jumpers that if you get the shot, you're not really taking it from someone who needs it more, you're just taking it from another line jumper.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's definitely the prevailing thought process among the ppl I know here in MD.

Though, hilariously, one of the more snooty/privileged/shitty people we know tried to fake her way in as a teacher yesterday and they called her on it and asked for her MCPS ID.

She proceeds to text one of our friends and asks for her to send a pic of that person's ID (she's a counselor). Like.. WTF does that accomplish? Weirdo.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 am
Not me, I had no qualms getting my kids vaccinated (one qualified, one didn't). I answered all of the questions honestly about pre-existing conditions, etc. and it gave me an appointment. Fully expected the system to kick him back, didn't happen. It was fine with me if they turned him away that day, didn't happen. At that point, what should I feel guilty about? I take care of my kids! (channeling old school Chris Rock).

One thing I didn't do that I think irritates a lot of people is post a fucking social media selfie about it. I've seen more than one nasty response on friend's posts about them showing off their cool card when everyone knows perfectly well that they aren't in any qualified group.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:25 am
mister d wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am "Get the shot if you're not taking it from someone else" sums up my thoughts. We're still phase one here and I'm still judging the line jumpers.

Same with me. Though it's hard for me to judge too harshly now that I've gotten a vaccine and they are basically going to be universally available here next week. I can't really stand in the shoes of someone who is seeing vaccinations happen all over the place, including for people who obviously are not high priority (like me), with no confidence that it will be their turn any time soon.

I also wonder if there becomes a point where there are so many line jumpers that if you get the shot, you're not really taking it from someone who needs it more, you're just taking it from another line jumper.
This is what I am wrestling with. Haven’t approached my wife about it yet.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:48 am
Not me, I had no qualms getting my kids vaccinated (one qualified, one didn't). I answered all of the questions honestly about pre-existing conditions, etc. and it gave me an appointment. Fully expected the system to kick him back, didn't happen. It was fine with me if they turned him away that day, didn't happen. At that point, what should I feel guilty about? I take care of my kids! (channeling old school Chris Rock).

One thing I didn't do that I think irritates a lot of people is post a fucking social media selfie about it. I've seen more than one nasty response on friend's posts about them showing off their cool card when everyone knows perfectly well that they aren't in any qualified group.
Just in general, it's a bad look. I get that they think it's part of the effort to convince people to get it done, but... More often than not, it's a humblebrag at best.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 amThough, hilariously, one of the more snooty/privileged/shitty people we know tried to fake her way in as a teacher yesterday and they called her on it and asked for her MCPS ID.

She proceeds to text one of our friends and asks for her to send a pic of that person's ID (she's a counselor). Like.. WTF does that accomplish? Weirdo.
I hate this person.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My issue, in terms of guilt for folks wrestling with it... There are plenty of slots that become available at the appointed times (for the mass vax sites here in MD). This deep into the process, if you are a Phase 1 person who has been trying to get an appointment... You have had a ton of opportunities to get that shot.

Now, I'm not talking about ppl with limited technical ability or access to the Internet. I'm talking about the vast majority of people that are eligible and have that access. And because there's not sure fire way for them to track who in Phase 1 is actually vaccinated (because of the decentralized nature), you have a ton of ppl that want it that are just sitting on their hands for no reason.

Get the shot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:55 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 amThough, hilariously, one of the more snooty/privileged/shitty people we know tried to fake her way in as a teacher yesterday and they called her on it and asked for her MCPS ID.

I hate this person.
Here, have some more:

She's the type of person that has a special "purse" for her stupid tiny dog and brings it out to the Green Turtle and thinks that's cute.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Outrage may be the wrong word but Citgo has a point. We have an entire thread devoted to hand-wringing over jumping the line.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The art major who lives a couple doors down in her dorm gonna make her a sweet fake for $300?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My brother in law just got his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine because he qualified as Law Enforcement.

He gives tours in a park.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:55 am Somehow my 16 year old daughter has got an appointment to get the vaccine this morning. Not sure how that happened, but I'm going with her and hoping that they say 'might as well give you one' while I'm there.
No such luck for me. When they said 'any questions?', I asked 'Have any extras?'. They laughed at me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:01 pm

The art major who lives a couple doors down in her dorm gonna make her a sweet fake for $300?
P.D.X. gotsta make that beer money, bro!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'd just draw a mustache on with a sharpie, Duchamp-style. Because like what even is 'identity'?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm
Outrage may be the wrong word but Citgo has a point. We have an entire thread devoted to hand-wringing over jumping the line.
Yeah, I don't recall any outrage. My takeaway was that most people would have taken the appointment. NJ is supposed to be one of the best states at rolling out the vaccine, but I'm still seeing a lot of people posting on FB that their parents can't get vaccines, while the team of people booking appointments are posting that they booked 100 appointments in one day for the teachers in our school district, the first day it opened to teachers. It seems you have to continually refresh somewhere between 4:30 - 6:00 am to get appointments at pharmacies.

For the record, I'm not judging anyone who gets the vaccine despite not qualifying. I'm still doubting myself and my wife for turning down the appointment our friend booked for us. She booked for dozens of people we know that aren't eligible and said we are the only ones who turned it down. My wife is convinced when eligibility opens up, it'll be impossible to get a vaccine, but I'm thinking that since so many people got it before they were eligible, there might not be a mad rush. Who knows.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm
Pedant alert: Words matter.

Hand-wringing doesn't equal Outrage.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Freakin Florida lowers their vaccine eligibility to 50 next Monday.

Florida.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wish they'd said 44.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dumber states will lower requirements sooner because a lower percentage of first wave will choose to get vaccinated.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... b80e101171

"People who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 do not need to continue getting tested unless they start to show symptoms of the disease, Dr. Anthony Fauci told CBS This Morning on Friday.

In response to a question on whether those who have been vaccinated need to continue getting tested, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said “Not necessarily. In fact, I wouldn’t say that that’s something that you should do.”

“If you’ve been fully vaccinated with two doses of the mRNA or one dose of the J&J I would not be considering, unless you develop symptoms that were suggestive, but not if you’re without symptoms,” he said."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:34 pm Dumber states will lower requirements sooner because a lower percentage of first wave will choose to get vaccinated.
Hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for the perspective check.
Noli Timere Messorem