Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

Honestly, I don’t know I think that’s a deal unless they’re legit worse-than-flu sick. I didn’t consider my vaccine to prevent the virus, just the worst of its effects.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:31 pm Honestly, I don’t know I think that’s a deal unless they’re legit worse-than-flu sick. I didn’t consider my vaccine to prevent the virus, just the worst of its effects.
Yeah, if my math is right, even with the "best" of the vaccines, 1 out of every 10 vaccinated will still get COVID (though like you said they should get a less serious version of it). I felt like crap for a couple of days a couple of weeks ago and wondered if I had a case of it myself, but since most people in my situation won't get tested because a) why would you and b) testing isn't as readily available most people will never know if they get a slight/asymptomatic case.

This is another reason why it behooves the unvaccinated to get the shot because it's simply going to spread a LOT more easily now than when things were more locked down. There are outbreaks in southwestern Missouri, Arkansas and some other states with low vaccination rates and I suspect that's going to be a thing throughout the summer and especially in the fall as temps fall and people congregate more indoors.

But as we've said or at least in my opinion -- too fucking bad for them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ah, let me clarify.

It's a big deal to commanders because of military readiness.

The military has a tendency to blow shit out of proportion.

Case in point. This:

US military apologizes for 'poor judgement' after troops attended dance parties on base without wearing masks

led to every installation in Korea (there's a bunch of them) being forced to have Senior Noncommissioned Officers having to go around and make sure people weren't dancing.

The 'no dancing' rule was briefed at every safety brief and it became a running meme until enough people were vaccinated to warrant lifting it like 6 weeks ago.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Camp Kellerman’s.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:53 pm I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil ends up with the gold after all is said and done.
Nice call.

Brazil Vaccine Scandal Imperils Bolsonaro as Protests Spread
The vaccine scandal began brewing in June as members of a Congressional commission established in April became suspicious about the terms of a $316 million deal the government struck to purchase 20 million doses of the Indian Covaxin Covid-19 vaccine.

The purchase was unusual because Brazil for months had ignored repeated offers by Pfizer, which offered millions of early doses of its vaccine. The hasty approval of the Covaxin deal was also confounding because the vaccine had not yet completed clinical trials and it had not been authorized by Brazil’s health regulator. Its price tag was exponentially higher than the price the manufacturer had announced earlier this year. And the sale was brokered by a middleman.
But despite the protests and the prospect of impeachment, Bolsonaro knows that he's safe...
“Only one thing will remove me from Brasília: God.”
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

99% of COVID deaths in June were among unvaccinated. How can anyone see that and still be "nah, I'm good."?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:03 am 99% of COVID deaths in June were among unvaccinated. How can anyone see that and still be "nah, I'm good."?
You think unvaccinated folks are watching the news and keeping up with COVID deaths? Most have no idea and the ones that do probably just don't believe it or don't think it applies to them.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Cause they made it this far? Cause tons and tons of people have gotten covid and recovered. Like many things, people don't learn until it effects them personally.

My bigger question is what about the 1%. I hadnt really heard of fully vaccinated covid deaths. And 1% of all deaths may not be that small a number. I'd say that ignorance is almost as bad. If that's the case we should all still be wearing masks and distancing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am Cause they made it this far? Cause tons and tons of people have gotten covid and recovered. Like many things, people don't learn until it effects them personally.

My bigger question is what about the 1%. I hadnt really heard of fully vaccinated covid deaths. And 1% of all deaths may not be that small a number. I'd say that ignorance is almost as bad. If that's the case we should all still be wearing masks and distancing.
I would assume that 1% has a lot to do with co-morbidity etc.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Hope so

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 54f5d5e187

"In the St. Louis area, more than 90% of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 have not been vaccinated, said Dr. Alex Garza, a hospital administrator who directs a metropolitan-area task force on the outbreak."

I don't get it. This is not what the CDC or government is publicizing. Hell they told me to ditch the mask and I did. 10% of hospitalizations are vaccinated? I don't get it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:12 am
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:03 am 99% of COVID deaths in June were among unvaccinated. How can anyone see that and still be "nah, I'm good."?
You think unvaccinated folks are watching the news and keeping up with COVID deaths? Most have no idea and the ones that do probably just don't believe it or don't think it applies to them.
Or worse, their information sources are "informing" them that the virus is a hoax, is implanting a microchip or magnetizing you and the disease isn't real and the MSM and Fauci are all in on some sort of nefarious scheme, so any information showing benefits or success of a vaccine are lies and anyone who believes the information is a sheeple falling for the scam.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm sure its multi-factored, like when Phil Nevin was hospitalized due to Covid + staph or how any older person with preexisting lung issues could still be at risk even post-vaccine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Decades upon decades of anti-intellectualism out of the mouths of the GOP has come home to roost.

Fuck ‘em.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:00 am Decades upon decades of anti-intellectualism out of the mouths of the GOP has come home to roost.

Fuck ‘em.
I'd be right there with you if it were only them who were unvaxxed. But a sizable enough group are minorities, who either don't have access to accurate information/facilities or have other apprehensions in terms of health (justiable in light of Tuskeegee, race-norming, American authority's general shitty treatment of blacks).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:03 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:00 am Decades upon decades of anti-intellectualism out of the mouths of the GOP has come home to roost.

Fuck ‘em.
I'd be right there with you if it were only them who were unvaxxed. But a sizable enough group are minorities, who either don't have access to accurate information/facilities or have other apprehensions in terms of health (justiable in light of Tuskeegee, race-norming, American authority's general shitty treatment of blacks).
No question, but that’s a different beast. Well received though.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:27 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am Cause they made it this far? Cause tons and tons of people have gotten covid and recovered. Like many things, people don't learn until it effects them personally.

This kind of bothers me now that I think more. When it's vaccinated people dying of covid it's ok because they have comorbidities. But when it's non vaccinated people claiming that the covid death rates are inflated because of comorbidities everyone acts like they're crazy conservatives denying science?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 pm
BSF21 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:27 am

This kind of bothers me now that I think more. When it's vaccinated people dying of covid it's ok because they have comorbidities. But when it's non vaccinated people claiming that the covid death rates are inflated because of comorbidities everyone acts like they're crazy conservatives denying science?
If the overall death rates are low, and 1% of those rates are those with underlying health conditions, I think we're getting into numbers are are barely statistically significant from a virus prevention/death mitigation strategy. All deaths are terrible, but if COIVD is killing say 10% of the people that get it (that number is sky high I'm sure) and you drip down to 1/100 of those being a vaccinated person with a significant comorbidity, these are very very small numbers. I don't think anyone around here has conflated thinking that covid deaths are more likely with comorbidities, it's the people with those comorbidities that are refusing to get vaccinated that I have no sympathy for, and that's not the 1% with an autoimmune disorder or something else which prevents vaccination
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The point everyone is missing is that less than 1 percent (it’s something .7 percent I believe) of deaths coming from the vaccinated is an acceptable amount. If you assume a scenario where everyone got vaccinated the spread would be extremely, extremely reduced and the occasional death, while sad, wouldn’t be enough to consider any kind of measures like we’ve had. My aunt is one of those vaccinated people who died of COVID. She was 94. Sometimes it’s just your time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bolsonaro in hospital as hiccups persist for more than 10 days

"'Hiccups?!" Hiccups my eye!"
-Cheech and Chong (esque)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So many hospitalizations of Covid patients are/were preventable. Because they are people who choose/chose not to get vaccinated.

Sometime in the future, I wonder if the health insurance companies might try to void Covid-related coverage of unvaccinated people?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:40 pm
So many hospitalizations of Covid patients are/were preventable. Because they are people who choose/chose not to get vaccinated.

Sometime in the future, I wonder if the health insurance companies might try to void Covid-related coverage of unvaccinated people?
My father was saying the same thing. He mapped it out several steps. Since hospitals are required to treat people who can't pay, he hashed out a minimal care program for non-vaccinated people that the government would reimburse hospitals for so they don't get shafted. Might incentivize people to get a free vaccine if they knew insurance wouldn't cover their COVID treatment if they refused to get vaccinated. OTOH, it sounds like most of the unvaccinated people believe the virus is a hoax, or they aren't at risk because most people who get COVID don't wind up in a hospital.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our neighbor's mom passed away yesterday from COVID/related bad shit it did to her body. She lived in Puerto Rico and had been in the hospital for the past four months on and off a ventilator.

One of my wife's best friends had it last year, and has been struggling with what I guess is long-COVID since. She just hasn't ever felt completely better and has been having regular issues breathing. She got diagnosed with some sort of heart blockage this week and is scheduled for a catherization in a couple of weeks. She's my age (mid-40s), has two young kids (one with Downs Syndrome) and is a military wife living in NC by herself (her family in NJ). Her husband is currently not in the country (but I'm sure the Air Force will be understanding and let him come home soon, right?)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They can try to use the Red Cross process to get him home, but it's up to the deployed commander gapping his position until the end of his rotation to let him stay home.

If he's due home within a month, this is usually automatic. Being the guy who makes sure that everyone re-deploys on time for the AF when I'm deployed, there are ways to get him home. But it involves colonels doing what's best for the member over the mission.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess it was just yesterday that things took a really bad turn for her, so I would guess the gears haven't even started turning yet on the process of him getting home. Last we heard last evening she was being admitted and they wanted to put her on remdesivir. Pretty upsetting.

Her mother-in-law either happened to be in town or flew in when she started feeling really bad and is with the kids.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Man who complains about vaccines being 'shoved down his throat' has a ventilator tube shoved down his throat...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fuck him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:31 pmFuck him.
More like fuck the people lying to this guy. He is too stupid to discern who to listen to, but the assholes knowingly pushing anti-vax anti-science rhetoric are the real problem. So he is right, getting people vaccinated is "their agenda," but people are so fucking stupid. Why is it their agenda? What makes more sense, they want to contain a deadly pandemic and prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying, or they want to give out free vaccines because... I can't even comprehend the supposed nefarious reason. To microchip us? We already carry smartphones.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fuck them too.

But fuck people like this. If they are so wrapped up in their political ideologies that they'd rather die in a hospital getting tubes forced down their throats instead of "tHe LiBeRaL AgEnDa," then fuck them.

These people are encouraged by shit like January 6th happening and all of the other culture war bullshit that the right has to work with.

Fuck. Them.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Absolutely. I can't believe that reporter was able to stand there and not say 'WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU??????'

I do wonder...how long before a health insurance company says 'We will not pay for covid hospitalization bills if you aren't vaccinated'. You know that conversation has been had in some corporate board room somewhere.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 pm I do wonder...how long before a health insurance company says 'We will not pay for covid hospitalization bills if you aren't vaccinated'.
a couple days ago in this thread, I wrote: Sometime in the future, I wonder if the health insurance companies might try to void Covid-related coverage of unvaccinated people?
Great minds... and all that
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:42 pm
More like fuck the people lying to this guy. He is too stupid to discern who to listen to, but the assholes knowingly pushing anti-vax anti-science rhetoric are the real problem. So he is right, getting people vaccinated is "their agenda," but people are so fucking stupid. Why is it their agenda? What makes more sense, they want to contain a deadly pandemic and prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying, or they want to give out free vaccines because... I can't even comprehend the supposed nefarious reason. To microchip us? We already carry smartphones.
He can't comprehend it either. He's proudly stubborn and he knows which way he's supposed to feel, but he can't even articulate why. It's their agenda! OK, dude.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The irony, if you will, is that their entire identity is shouting about government control while being 100% controlled by politicians. For all this dude and his type know, in August of 2021 they'll spend half their waking hours claiming Memphis has a six square block underground detention center to punish teenage conservatives from instagram or something. They're never going to question their newest beliefs, just absorb and repeat. Unless he's dead from Covid.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:25 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:09 pm I do wonder...how long before a health insurance company says 'We will not pay for covid hospitalization bills if you aren't vaccinated'.
a couple days ago in this thread, I wrote: Sometime in the future, I wonder if the health insurance companies might try to void Covid-related coverage of unvaccinated people?
Great minds... and all that
Hah....I swear I don't remember seeing that! But yes...great minds never underestimate the shittiness of health insurance companies!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Two of the old lady’s coworkers tested positive. There are only about 15 people in the whole office. Luckily these two have not been in this week because they got symptoms last weekend but fuck this shit.

One was vaxxed one was not.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The miracle was the vaccine and you turned it down is basically what I came here to say. Lemme go find that tweet and like that dunk.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"so was the vaccine" heh
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The wife in the family that was essentially in our COVID bubble is very vaxx hesitant (doesn't get her kids vaxxed "on schedule", etc. even before COVID). Pre-vaxx we all were sort of keeping together, but I think around the same time we (and her husband) got vaxxed, she's become even more stubborn in her feelings and risky with her behavior (going to the gym unmasked and running on the treadmill for an hour or so). Kinda sucks, but with my little one too young to be vaxxed, I don't think we'll be seeing them nearly as much.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup. Easy call - she gotta go from the circle of trust.