tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting chart. Look how Canada has ramped it up.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wonder if the issue in Israel is vaccine hesitancy or the apartheid regime there decided they'd rather not vaccinate any Arabs.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:42 pm Interesting chart. Look how Canada has ramped it up.
To paraphrase Chris Rock: You don't get extra credit for doing what you're supposed to.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:52 pm I wonder if the issue in Israel is vaccine hesitancy or the apartheid regime there decided they'd rather not vaccinate any Arabs.
I'm certainly reading mostly from progressive media, so take it for what it's worth, but it sounds like Palestine has gotten very little of the vaxx.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Union leaders going to union..
"While we encourage everyone to get vaccinated and support measures to ensure our members' health and wellbeing, weekly testing is clearly subject to mandatory bargaining. New York City is a union town and that cannot be ignored."
https://www.businessinsider.com/nycs-la ... Insider%29
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Found out today our son was exposed at day camp on Friday to someone who tested positive Saturday. It's all outdoors, he's doing fine currently with a test scheduled for Thursday, our daughter is away at sleepover camp this week (instead of at the same day camp), my wife and I are both vaccinated....

Just trying to hold Pandora's Box of infuriating questions closed in the interim.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 pm Two of the old lady’s coworkers tested positive. There are only about 15 people in the whole office. Luckily these two have not been in this week because they got symptoms last weekend but fuck this shit.

One was vaxxed one was not.
Looks like the boss is going to implement a "you must be vaccinated to work here" policy. Apparently completely legal and will only affect a couple of people at this point so it's shit or get off the pot time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am Found out today our son was exposed at day camp on Friday to someone who tested positive Saturday. It's all outdoors, he's doing fine currently with a test scheduled for Thursday, our daughter is away at sleepover camp this week (instead of at the same day camp), my wife and I are both vaccinated....

Just trying to hold Pandora's Box of infuriating questions closed in the interim.
Hopefully nothing, but I get the frustration.

Our 13 year old was at an arts/music summer camp she's been doing for years. Indoors and outdoors, but everyone always masked this summer except for lunch time. Last Thursday evening we got a notification that the camp would be closed on Friday and Monday due to one person testing positive. No word on contacts or anything like that. Then on Sunday evening we got another note that the last couple of weeks of camp has been cancelled and that a prorated refund will be forthcoming. I'm WFH, so no big deal (actually easier since I don't have to drop her off at 8AM and pick her up at 3PM every day) but still no specifics on what happened. We don't know if there were more positives, or if too many teachers and/or volunteer staff (mostly teenagers) got spooked, or if they're just being overly cautious or what.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am Found out today our son was exposed at day camp on Friday to someone who tested positive Saturday. It's all outdoors, he's doing fine currently with a test scheduled for Thursday, our daughter is away at sleepover camp this week (instead of at the same day camp), my wife and I are both vaccinated....

My GF did an exam (she's a sonographer) last week, and then it turned out the patient was positive. So she spent an hour in a small room with someone who came into the clinic after getting tested, but not knowing the results yet. Luckily, she's fully vaxxed, and both of them were wearing masks, so she's fine (for now), but its still infuriating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 am

My GF did an exam (she's a sonographer) last week, and then it turned out the patient was positive. So she spent an hour in a small room with someone who came into the clinic after getting tested, but not knowing the results yet. Luckily, she's fully vaxxed, and both of them were wearing masks, so she's fine (for now), but its still infuriating.
If the patient got tested because she knew she might be exposed, then fuck her. I'll withhold judgment that maybe she got tested to get on a flight or attend an event that required a test, and she had no idea, but if she did suspect she was exposed, that should be criminal.

We are trying to figure out how to handle my daughter's friends returning from vacation. 2 are still 11, so unvaccinated, and one of the mothers is anti-vax as she is convinced her older daughter's autism was caused by a vaccine. The father is vaxxed. She is returning from Cancun, and my wife keeps sending me articles about COVID running rampant in Cancun. Other friend is in Orlando, and my wife read me a Tweet from ER doctor she knows in Orlando saying the ER is so overrun with COVID patients they are turning away all patients with non-life threatening issues. He described a line of ambulances waiting to drop off COVID patients. He also said half the staff refused vaccines, and many are refusing to report for work, so they are on the verge of collapse. I can't comprehend all the medical professionals, especially hospital workers, who refuse to get vaccinated. One of the local hospital systems required vaccines by a certain date, and as that date is approaching, they are expecting massive resignations. The other systems refused to require vaccines, which surprises me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just enforce a quarantine to keep your daughter away from them for a week or so? Or are they teammates or something that makes that more difficult than enduring pushback from your own kid?

One of our oldest's best friends is in Portugal for the summer. Things apparently got pretty bad over there shortly after she left, and I guess the State Dept just this week put them on the don't fucking go there list. She'd been staying with only half of her extended family because the other half was either sick or quarantined. At one point she was supposed to cut the trip short and come home mid-July but I guess her parents balked at paying the fees(??) so she's still coming back mid-August. About 2 weeks after that she is scheduled to join us mid-vacation at our shore house. She is vaccinated.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fully vaxxed (Moderna) law school classmate of mine recently hospitalized with COVID. He was definitely also at Bolts playoffs games, but I would think that given the timing of his hospitalization that he caught it after the hockey was over.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 pm Just enforce a quarantine to keep your daughter away from them for a week or so? Or are they teammates or something that makes that more difficult than enduring pushback from your own kid?

Yeah, this is exactly what we went with. Cancun friend came back Monday, told my daughter to wait until next Monday to see her. My wife was driving that friend to the pool, but not letting her in our car for a week. Other friend is on a different team at the same soccer club, and very annoyed that they practice at the same time. Most unreliable parents ever, so I think I'll be driving their kid most of the year. First friend seemed to totally understand, not sure what her mother thinks, but don't really care. Second friend will be problematic. Actually, the mother is the woman who signed me and my wife up for COVID vaccines before we were eligible. All involvement with her turns into 50 texts starting at 4:30 am and 20 changes in plans continuing after the time you intended on leaving the house. I'll hold off on this rant here.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:49 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:32 pm Two of the old lady’s coworkers tested positive. There are only about 15 people in the whole office. Luckily these two have not been in this week because they got symptoms last weekend but fuck this shit.

One was vaxxed one was not.
Looks like the boss is going to implement a "you must be vaccinated to work here" policy. Apparently completely legal and will only affect a couple of people at this point so it's shit or get off the pot time.
The unvaxxed one has been sent to the ER.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Greeeeaaattt.
227134316_10222856400213364_5286358090282803327_n.jpg
227134316_10222856400213364_5286358090282803327_n.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 587 times
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

What's the problem? Wear a fucking mask. Shit ain't over.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The problem is people aren't getting vaccinated and those of us that have been are having to make up for it.

The FDA needs to fucking approve this shit already.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I'm working for the SBA, got essentially the same (but reformatted) email last night. One part that frosts me is at the end a note stating if you have a religious reason why they cannot wear face coverings you may request an accommodation... fuck that noise.

(on the other hand if this keeps me WFH for the rest of the year, great)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:28 am I'm working for the SBA, got essentially the same (but reformatted) email last night. One part that frosts me is at the end a note stating if you have a religious reason why they cannot wear face coverings you may request an accommodation... fuck that noise.

Are there any legit religions that actually prohibit covering your face instead of the opposite?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm The problem is people aren't getting vaccinated and those of us that have been are having to make up for it.

Agreed on sentence two, but Delta doesn't appear to give much of a fuck about whether you're vaxxed, or certainly not enough to not remask. I'm frustrated as shit too, but wearing a mask just isn't that hard.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:30 am
MaxWebster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:28 am I'm working for the SBA, got essentially the same (but reformatted) email last night. One part that frosts me is at the end a note stating if you have a religious reason why they cannot wear face coverings you may request an accommodation... fuck that noise.

Are there any legit religions that actually prohibit covering your face instead of the opposite?
Reminds me of the Armisen on Parks and Rec bit about in his country if you undercook fish you go straight to jail, and if you overcook chicken? Also jail.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

excellent question.

i'm finding myself really reaching the ends of my rope society-wise of late (maybe only slightly related to recently driving out to the country w my dad to revisit his old hometown and seeing no fewer than 4 enormous Fuck Biden! flags nearby...) and really need to look more into The Satanic Temple to see if their religious status has anything that can keep me slightly sane.
A_B wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:30 am

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:34 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm The problem is people aren't getting vaccinated and those of us that have been are having to make up for it.

Agreed on sentence two, but Delta doesn't appear to give much of a fuck about whether you're vaxxed, or certainly not enough to not remask. I'm frustrated as shit too, but wearing a mask just isn't that hard.
My neighbor (not a crackpot, but a freshly-retired professor here in a science) was telling me about the new variant in Colombia which has made its way to the states, particularly how very little is known about it, including the effectiveness of the vaccine in fighting it.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm wearing a mask right now and I continue to as my wife is undergoing her treatments.

My point is that these variants could be mitigated with more vaccinations. It fucking sucks that not enough Americans are vaccinated and that politicians who want to watch the world burn continue to act like this isn't a big deal leading to the rest of us getting fucked over.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jalisco state (where I live) announced a new lockdown for the whole month of August. Fortunately we don’t go out much in the summer.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am

I'm wearing a mask right now and I continue to as my wife is undergoing her treatments.

My point is that these variants could be mitigated with more vaccinations. It fucking sucks that not enough Americans are vaccinated and that politicians who want to watch the world burn continue to act like this isn't a big deal leading to the rest of us getting fucked over.
Completely agree
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am

My neighbor (not a crackpot, but a freshly-retired professor here in a science) was telling me about the new variant in Colombia which has made its way to the states, particularly how very little is known about it, including the effectiveness of the vaccine in fighting it.
Lambda? Or is that just in Peru?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Lambda? you mean Lambada?

there is a variant that started in Peru and made its way to Colombia.
all of my family there is vaxxed however, most who were at a recent family funeral ended up w covid. Several ended up in the hospital, all are recovered and everyone is home.

and no, there is no u in Colombia.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 am Lambda? you mean Lambada?

there is a variant that started in Peru and made its way to Colombia.
all of my family there is vaxxed however, most who were at a recent family funeral ended up w covid. Several ended up in the hospital, all are recovered and everyone is home.

and no, there is no u in Colombia.
The forbidden variant
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:31 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am

Lambda? Or is that just in Peru?
He didn't use the variant name, he just mentioned that it had been first "discovered" in Colombia and that it has since been found in Miami, almost certainly due to air travel between the two locales.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Another vaxxed attorney friend of mine checked into the hospital today after getting worse over the last 10 days.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

He's negative... but the state of New York is directing him to quarantine until Monday night.

That means leaving Sunday for a couple days to visit my mom, who hasn't seen my wife or our children in 19 months, is off (I saw her for about 5 1/2 hours on a Saturday in March when we picked the bones of her house).

She's had a pretty shitty last 24 months (five surgeries - including hip replacement and two back surgeries, ongoing physical and occupational therapy, a move into assisted living, dementia, a case of COVID contracted at a rehabilitation facility that was fortunately asymptomatic - it all piled up enough at one point that one of my sisters and I admitted to each other over the phone that we both wanted her to die so it would be over), so I am really bummed and pissed that this is off because she's doing better (medication for dementia is working pretty well, she's now able to get around fairly well with a walker) and was really excited for us to visit.

I had to leave a massage for her earlier tonight because she didn't answer when I tried calling a couple times.

So beyond dusty in here right now.

Not re-filing this in the "Confessions" thread.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

D-safe - I am so sorry - nothing else I can say
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:15 pm

He's negative... but the state of New York is directing him to quarantine until Monday night.

That means leaving Sunday for a couple days to visit my mom, who hasn't seen my wife or our children in 19 months, is off (I saw her for about 5 1/2 hours on a Saturday in March when we picked the bones of her house).

She's had a pretty shitty last 24 months (five surgeries - including hip replacement and two back surgeries, ongoing physical and occupational therapy, a move into assisted living, dementia, a case of COVID contracted at a rehabilitation facility that was fortunately asymptomatic - it all piled up enough at one point that one of my sisters and I admitted to each other over the phone that we both wanted her to die so it would be over), so I am really bummed and pissed that this is off because she's doing better (medication for dementia is working pretty well, she's now able to get around fairly well with a walker) and was really excited for us to visit.

I had to leave a massage for her earlier tonight because she didn't answer when I tried calling a couple times.

So beyond dusty in here right now.

Not re-filing this in the "Confessions" thread.
Fuck, man. I'm so sorry to hear this.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I appreciate the thoughts, but it's more that I just have to get it out somewhere and this is as safe a place as I have. Seriously. I decided not to drop the details about my mom in a group text with my closest college friends earlier. I just couldn't. For whatever fucking reason. We're not tough guys, just a group of sarcastic, snarky friends of close to 30 years. Almost 30 years. And I still couldn't.

My mom's situation was worse several months ago, prior to the second back surgery, bad enough to the point that it and some other stuff piled up to make me leave the dinner table on my birthday back in March because I didn't want to lose it and have to explain what was going on to our kids... and promptly spent the next 30 minutes sobbing in the bedroom by myself.

So, I'm doing great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m so sorry, DSafe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Feck, man. Sucks. Really sorry to hear it. Try to keep your chin up, bud.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I'm sorry to read this, DSafe. After watching my grandmother go thru something similar, my greatest fear is watching my mother go thru the same thing. So...yeah. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best wishes, DSafe.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!