Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Shirley »

Got my first shot today. Pfizer. They run a pretty large and efficient operation at the PNC Arena here (where the Hurricanes and NC State play).
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whoops.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Once again, an entry that really belongs in the Fucking Hilarious Real Life Capt Trips thread.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Finally got a vaccine appointment. First one scheduled for April 5. I'm really, really hoping the vaccine helps with the long-term Covid symptoms I've been experiencing for months because this shit's been brutal.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Booked a flight back to Vegas last week of April to get our first shot so we can get our second shot on our already-planned trip in May. Only thing that's gonna suck is you have to get a negative COVID test 72 hours before traveling to the US now, but a minor inconvenience will be worth it to be vaccinated a month quicker.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am Finally got a vaccine appointment. First one scheduled for April 5. I'm really, really hoping the vaccine helps with the long-term Covid symptoms I've been experiencing for months because this shit's been brutal.
On The Daily yesterday they did mention that they have seen some of these long-term issues go away once they get the vaccine. Hope it provides some relief, buddy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 am
Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am Finally got a vaccine appointment. First one scheduled for April 5. I'm really, really hoping the vaccine helps with the long-term Covid symptoms I've been experiencing for months because this shit's been brutal.
On The Daily yesterday they did mention that they have seen some of these long-term issues go away once they get the vaccine. Hope it provides some relief, buddy.
Thanks. Reading up on this, it sounds like some are completely "cured" after the vaccine, some see a dramatic improvement with symptoms, and some see their symptoms get worse.

The virus definitely hit me hard. Before the virus, I could hike six-plus miles in about two hours and feel no soreness or fatigue. Now, I can hike four miles in about 1.5 hours, but I feel beat and achy afterwards. My bike rides are similar ... I could bike 22 miles with no effects in early summer 2020, and now I can only do about half that.

But the worst part is it's affected me mentally and emotionally. My ability to handle stress is greatly diminished. I've had some wild mood swings, going from rage to merriment to depression in a couple of hours. When I get stressed, I feel overwhelmed easily and sometimes, I simply can't react to what's going on. My job has been very stressful for the last year (but especially so since last August), and it's affecting my work performance. I make a lot more mistakes than I used to, and my boss and others are starting to notice. I've almost quit multiple times already because the job is affecting my mental and physical health. A couple of weeks ago, I was so stressed out I thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out my blood pressure spiked due to stress, but fortunately it's coming back to normal.

So yes, I hope the vaccine helps me. I don't want to quit a job I've had for 20+ years, but I physically and mentally can't keep doing this in my current state.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit man...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:51 am
Giff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 am
Thanks. Reading up on this, it sounds like some are completely "cured" after the vaccine, some see a dramatic improvement with symptoms, and some see their symptoms get worse.

The virus definitely hit me hard. Before the virus, I could hike six-plus miles in about two hours and feel no soreness or fatigue. Now, I can hike four miles in about 1.5 hours, but I feel beat and achy afterwards. My bike rides are similar ... I could bike 22 miles with no effects in early summer 2020, and now I can only do about half that.

But the worst part is it's affected me mentally and emotionally. My ability to handle stress is greatly diminished. I've had some wild mood swings, going from rage to merriment to depression in a couple of hours. When I get stressed, I feel overwhelmed easily and sometimes, I simply can't react to what's going on. My job has been very stressful for the last year (but especially so since last August), and it's affecting my work performance. I make a lot more mistakes than I used to, and my boss and others are starting to notice. I've almost quit multiple times already because the job is affecting my mental and physical health. A couple of weeks ago, I was so stressed out I thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out my blood pressure spiked due to stress, but fortunately it's coming back to normal.

So yes, I hope the vaccine helps me. I don't want to quit a job I've had for 20+ years, but I physically and mentally can't keep doing this in my current state.
It pisses me off that good folks like Sabo get hit like this, while Trump didn’t suffer too much apparent pain.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Damn, Sabo that is rough. I really hope this clears up for you, such a crazy fucking virus. Some of the long haul symptoms sound a lot like Lyme disease
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Indiana drops eligibility to 16+ on March 31. I've got an appt on the 2nd
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Good luck, Sabo. That sounds brutal. I hope the vaccine helps.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:10 pm Indiana drops eligibility to 16+ on March 31. I've got an appt on the 2nd
That happened here today. My son is set for next week and my daughter two weeks after that.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we were supposed to go to StL on easter weekend for LA's birthday to see her parents but that was called off this am

we're not going because there was set to be a 10-12 person family gathering at her aunt and uncle's house. there wouldn't have been much if any masking and not everyone in attendance would have been vaccinated (or vaccinated fully). we've been very consistent about wearing masks around other people -- when her parents were in KC for Xmas we asked that everyone wear masks in the house

anyway, we had planned on going for a bit and staying outside on the deck if the weather was nice. but that was scuttled when we found out her 25yo cousin (a nurse) who is always hanging out with her friends and has been going on all of these glamorous trips with her new boyfriend is refusing to get vaccinated because of "concerns about the research".

LA obviously was appalled at hearing that last night from her mom and her parents defended the cousin despite our best attempts to explain how the cousin was putting everyone she comes into contact with at risk because of her lifestyle. and we're not sure we can tacitly condone that by participating in this maskless gathering given how safe we've tried to be over the last year

that is, of course, not sitting well. LA told her parents we weren't making the trip this morning. and that was met with "you're overreacting" and spiraled from there

I certainly don't think we're overreacting. are we being too safe given our vaccine statuses? maybe. but I'd rather be that than someone at the gathering -- especially those at a higher risk -- getting covid
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If no one dies you were proven to be overreacting and if someone does, well, being right doesn't do you any good now. Its no win being the safest in a family but we haven't bent or broken either.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not that our kids are clamoring for a bunch of things to do (not their nature), but we've had to tell The Girl - "Look, you've been so good and safe for a year, you're going to be fully vaccinated by mid-April... Just wait."

Sucks that you are in that situation, but the stories of people letting their guard down after a full year of being safe are heart breaking and at the same time maddening.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm
anyway, we had planned on going for a bit and staying outside on the deck if the weather was nice. but that was scuttled when we found out her 25yo cousin (a nurse) .. is refusing to get vaccinated because of "concerns about the research".

that is, of course, not sitting well. LA told her parents we weren't making the trip this morning. and that was met with "you're overreacting" and spiraled from there

I certainly don't think we're overreacting. are we being too safe given our vaccine statuses? maybe. but I'd rather be that than someone at the gathering -- especially those at a higher risk -- getting covid
The only overreaction here is the nurse who got too familiar with sounding smarter than she actually is. And why would you lessen your resolve at this late date?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At this point after dealing with it for 13 months especially just best to see it through until you're vaccinated fully. My attitude after I'm vaccinated and is I'll follow all CDC guidelines but I'm gonna do what I want to do and if someone refuses to get vaccinated and had a chance to and gets sick from me unknowingly accidentally communicating the virus, then too fucking bad.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

NY lowered the age restriction to 50 a couple days ago, my wife signed us up for the wait list yesterday, and we were notified extra appointments are available tomorrow. So, Moderna for the both of us. Had we opted for Friday, it would have been Pfizer, so we wait four weeks for the second shot instead of three.

My dad gets his second shot Saturday. He is already planning on coming up the following weekend, possibly as early as next Thursday (weather, etc. permitting). If it ends up being that Friday, it would mark 15 months to the day from the last time we saw him.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:02 pm NY lowered the age restriction to 50 a couple days ago, my wife signed us up for the wait list yesterday, and we were notified extra appointments are available tomorrow. So, Moderna for the both of us. Had we opted for Friday, it would have been Pfizer, so we wait four weeks for the second shot instead of three.

My dad gets his second shot Saturday. He is already planning on coming up the following weekend, possibly as early as next Thursday (weather, etc. permitting). If it ends up being that Friday, it would mark 15 months to the day from the last time we saw him.
Doesn't it take two weeks after the second shot for immunity to be established?

Though I've made reservations for Easter Brunch, which will be four days after I get my second shot.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You should read the study. I'll try to link. Seems like 1 week you're good with moderna.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... tured_home

Table 2 at the 100 dose. Most of the measurements go up exponentially between days 29 and 36. I'm sure there's much more full data somewhere. This looks like the phase 1 results.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 pm You should read the study. I'll try to link. Seems like 1 week you're good with moderna.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/N ... tured_home

Table 2 at the 100 dose. Most of the measurements go up exponentially between days 29 and 36. I'm sure there's much more full data somewhere. This looks like the phase 1 results.
Cool. Thanks.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 pm we were supposed to go to StL on easter weekend for LA's birthday to see her parents but that was called off this am

we're not going because there was set to be a 10-12 person family gathering at her aunt and uncle's house. there wouldn't have been much if any masking and not everyone in attendance would have been vaccinated (or vaccinated fully). we've been very consistent about wearing masks around other people -- when her parents were in KC for Xmas we asked that everyone wear masks in the house

anyway, we had planned on going for a bit and staying outside on the deck if the weather was nice. but that was scuttled when we found out her 25yo cousin (a nurse) who is always hanging out with her friends and has been going on all of these glamorous trips with her new boyfriend is refusing to get vaccinated because of "concerns about the research".

LA obviously was appalled at hearing that last night from her mom and her parents defended the cousin despite our best attempts to explain how the cousin was putting everyone she comes into contact with at risk because of her lifestyle. and we're not sure we can tacitly condone that by participating in this maskless gathering given how safe we've tried to be over the last year

Stand strong, you are 100% in the right here. I'm sure it's tough going against your GF's family, but like everyone else said, you have been safe this long, don't cave to pressure now. We've debated attending some events we didn't feel comfortable with, but my wife always says, "if we went and got sick, would it be worth it?" The answer is always no. Most recently, we were going to let my son go to a birthday party where 6 kids were attending. We assumed it was outside on their deck, as this family used to be really strict with the rules. We later found out it was inside their house and serving lunch and cake, so you know masks were off. On top of that, the father was a week or two past symptomatic COVID that he passed to the wife and older son, and the older son hadn't gotten his sense of smell or taste back. They were just past the CDC quarantine time, but I don't trust that you aren't contagious 10 (or whatever) days after, especially when the son still had effects.

The biggest I have with your situation is their pressuring you. If someone doesn't feel comfortable, end of conversation.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My fully vaxxed in laws took my not vaxxed son to Outback Steakhouse today. Ate indoors. I'm about to fucking blow my top.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 pm My fully vaxxed in laws took my not vaxxed son to Outback Steakhouse today. Ate indoors. I'm about to fucking blow my top.
I’d be pissed to if they took my kid to Outback when I’m sure there a much better Central American restaurant nearby in Tampa. The covid thing would mildly annoy me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

serrano wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 pm My fully vaxxed in laws took my not vaxxed son to Outback Steakhouse today. Ate indoors. I'm about to fucking blow my top.
I’d be pissed to if they took my kid to Outback when I’m sure there a much better Central American restaurant nearby in Tampa. The covid thing would mildly annoy me.
Renzo's forever! (more South than Central America, but still miles ahead of Outback)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Are you familiar with parents?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Lawmakers call on Biden to make COVID vaccines mandatory for the military

I got the vaccine. I strongly encourage every person on earth to do the same, if able.

But when there's a law in place specifically for military members to not be guinea pigs and give them an option and they opt not to? I'll side with the military members.

By attempting to circumvent the law and go straight to the president for him to sign an executive order is the epitome of being an asshole, IMO. It tells me that laws for the military don't matter and you can just say "fuck you" because we are subject to the UCMJ.

And not for nothing, our day to day is far more stringent already than the average American. Mandatory mask wear indoors. Commanders with broad sweeping powers to mandate ROMs as they see fit. And let's say a military base is 100% vaccinated? We'll still get no breaks anyway. We're always under the thumb of somebody. And this is the one opportunity where a member can just say no.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:50 pm Lawmakers call on Biden to make COVID vaccines mandatory for the military

I got the vaccine. I strongly encourage every person on earth to do the same, if able.

But when there's a law in place specifically for military members to not be guinea pigs and give them an option and they opt not to? I'll side with the military members.

By attempting to circumvent the law and go straight to the president for him to sign an executive order is the epitome of being an asshole, IMO. It tells me that laws for the military don't matter and you can just say "fuck you" because we are subject to the UCMJ.

And not for nothing, our day to day is far more stringent already than the average American. Mandatory mask wear indoors. Commanders with broad sweeping powers to mandate ROMs as they see fit. And let's say a military base is 100% vaccinated? We'll still get no breaks anyway. We're always under the thumb of somebody. And this is the one opportunity where a member can just say no.
Political grandstanding aside, national security always takes precedence over the feelings of the enlisted.

I see your point, though perhaps not in the same light. Cuz if these vaccines cause unforeseen, deleterious effects on our bodies, then the case could be made that the military really should wait it out to see what happens to the uh...lemmings?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Everything is a matter of "national security" these days.

Except the last 4 years under T**** with his crime family. That seems to have been a blip. Absolutely nothing wrong there.

But military members not getting vaccinated. Earth shattering.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 pm Everything is a matter of "national security" these days.

Except the last 4 years under T**** with his crime family. That seems to have been a blip. Absolutely nothing wrong there.

Aren’t military members who get sent to the Middle East or Africa required to get vaccinated or inoculated against diseases in those places? How is this very different?

(Though I acknowledge the soundness of the “free choice” argument.)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:45 pm Everything is a matter of "national security" these days.

Non-vaccinated troops present a clear national security risk, as is the fear of vaccination that is growing within the ranks of the military re: the link you gave from the Navy Times.
Vaccine hesitation has emerged as a potential problem when it comes protecting the military community from COVID.
The Blue Star Families December report found 54 percent of military spouses did not plan on getting the vaccines.
Seven in 10 respondents to Blue Star’s survey said they were concerned about the vaccines’ safety and efficacy.
I mean, I get that you're pissed that you might've been forced to vaccinate anyway, but that's not much different than forcing families to vaccinate their children in order to attend public schools.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Then shitcan the law that was passed that says that vaccinations authorized under emergency authorization from the FDA are NOT mandatory for military then.

Consistency.

How tough is this? Does the law matter or not? Why was a law passed for this when you can just backdoor it with an executive order from the president?

And yes, your vaccinations do have to be up to date when you go places overseas. I had to get a Japanese Encephalitis shot prior to coming to Korea. But that's mandatory because the shot isn't under emergency authorization.

Side note: Every year until this year I was mandated to get a flu shot at the beginning of flu season. Why the change this year? The potential reaction to COVID if you got sick. They relaxed the rule. Once it was safe eventually everyone got the flu shot. No one complained then.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The only consistency you're going to get is what makes the most sense to national security. The FDA doesn't have the jurisdiction to enforce an order over the military, right? Why risk the political hell-fire to attempt to enforce it if you are FDA? You can talk about the rule of law, but you're not under the same laws that civilians are.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I mean, I get it. I want to skip the line. I want to be mad at things out of my control. But it doesn't do any freakin good. So I'm not pushing back just to push back. I guess I'm just saying I don't get the angst, cuz it's a hell of a lot worse on the outside.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Look, under federal law they are not allowed to force this onto federal employees and have, from the onset, left it up to the employee to make a choice.

Federal law prohibits employers and others from requiring vaccination with a Covid-19 vaccine distributed under an EUA

And the administration has honored that choice. When given the choice, 1/3 of service members (approx.) have said no. Have we gone onto look into every other federal agency's ratio of people that said "no"? Or are we going to highlight just the troops?

They could've made the shot mandatory for the troops from the very beginning, but didn't. But now everyone is all shocked Pikachu face that the troops aren't a collective hivemind. What the hell did you expect giving people a choice? 100% enthusiastic affirmation? You could offer the troops free ice cream and some will turn it down.

Military May Revisit Making COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory After FDA Grants Approval

I don't know how else to explain it, man. You gave people a choice who don't normally get a choice and oh my god they decided against it -- probably, mostly to just be a dick.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:47 pm
My dad’s favorite restaurant is the Olive Garden, so yeah, he doesn’t get to pick where we eat anymore. (My mom is so fed up with his menu choices, she even refused to ask him what he wants to have for his birthday Saturday (divorced but still friendly)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

serrano wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 am
My dad’s favorite restaurant is the Olive Garden, so yeah, he doesn’t get to pick where we eat anymore. (My mom is so fed up with his menu choices, she even refused to ask him what he wants to have for his birthday Saturday (divorced but still friendly)
Was thinking about this yesterday on an unrelated issue. Do taste buds go bad as you age? Had dinner with my parents a few weeks back, and they ordered the shittiest delivery pizza, (their regular Friday night meal). I don't recall their taste being bad growing up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:30 am
serrano wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 am
Was thinking about this yesterday on an unrelated issue. Do taste buds go bad as you age? Had dinner with my parents a few weeks back, and they ordered the shittiest delivery pizza, (their regular Friday night meal). I don't recall their acrtaste being bad growing up.
Yes, tastebuds go bad. In touring nursing homes for my wife’s great-aunt, one of them discussed how the chef was trained in catering to elderly taste. They lose sensitivity to detecting certain flavors and crave sweets. The stereotype if the old lady with a bowl oh hard candy had scientific reasoning. The nursing home said they have to over season everything so the olds can taste it.

My parents go to Olive Garden, Outback and others. I always chalked it up to living in a crap town with no choices, but there are some great family owned Italian places, so I don’t get it. They are fairly adventurous with ethnic foods, and my mom ate haggis in Scotland ffs, so there is no excuse.
-Pruitt