Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

I'm not saying I'd kill for two weeks quarantine, esp given the circumstances, but I wouldn't be too upset.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 am
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 pm Glad to hear about your wife’s family, Johnnie. Good luck with your quarantine!
Thank you, buddy!
There are worse ways to spend two weeks.
The time zone is a bitch, but if you ever wanna knock around a little chess or can find some e-tabletop stuff to do while you're stuck indoors, hit me up.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 pm Good news! My wife's family got through it and came out ok. No one died.

Bad news! Someone I was in a meeting with 13 days ago popped positive within the last day or so (we all wore masks and I didn't come within 6 feet of her in that meeting). I was placed on a "close contact" list because of said meeting. After the rules changing 6 times between yesterday afternoon and today as to whether I isolate or not, I was swabbed and am now in quarantine for 14 days. Hopefully common sense prevails, but I doubt it.

This shit is fucking frustrating.
Just got home and my at-home test to reduce the length of my at-home quarantine is sitting right next to me. Monday morning...

Sure hope I get a negative result. Would hate for my streak (currently 16, pending the result of this morning) to end.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks fellas. I know I need to keep it in perspective. My issue is strictly annoyance from a work perspective.

When I return, I'm behind the power curve with real world work because the Air Force keeps on chugging along despite this pandemic not giving a shit about "mission essential" operations. We keep planning everything right up until it gets cancelled instead of it just being cancelled from the jump.

In the meantime, I'll concentrate on school and anything else. May even read a book or two.
BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:29 pmThe time zone is a bitch, but if you ever wanna knock around a little chess or can find some e-tabletop stuff to do while you're stuck indoors, hit me up.
Possibly. I'll let you know.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

This thread started one year ago today.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But the name of the thread didn't change until 3/5 or so. We were a week ahead of the NBA.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:07 am This thread started one year ago today.
And now there’s a new version of The Stand on TV. When they mentioned Captain Trips it threw me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Soo, back last year in November, I convinced my aged mother and father that we shouldn't go out to New Mexico to spend Christmas with them, due to Covid. I told my Mum we'd come out...
(my recollection) ...sometime later.
(her recollection) ...in January.

So, as soon as the calendar turned to 2021, she started agitating for us to visit. She was bitterly disappointed when my daughter went back to college without visiting her first. She wasn't buying my excuse that we can't come now because A) Covid is still bad, and B) we have four geriatric pets in various needs of regular doctoring. She wants a visit, dammit.

I finally caved in and agreed that I would come (alone) for a week, allowing my wife (who is extremely Covid-safe and basically refused to go) to stay home to care for the animals. So, I'm flying out tomorrow for a week. I've got my N-95 mask and I'll pack my own sandwich and try to avoid people to the degree possible. Couldn't get a direct flight, though (which didn't used to be the case.)

At least they are getting the vaccination next week. And, with Trump out and my father on the wagon, our conversations should be a lot easier (hopefully).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:02 pm Soo, back last year in November, I convinced my aged mother and father that we shouldn't go out to New Mexico to spend Christmas with them, due to Covid. I told my Mum we'd come out...
(my recollection) ...sometime later.
(her recollection) ...in January.

So, as soon as the calendar turned to 2021, she started agitating for us to visit. She was bitterly disappointed when my daughter went back to college without visiting her first. She wasn't buying my excuse that we can't come now because A) Covid is still bad, and B) we have four geriatric pets in various needs of regular doctoring. She wants a visit, dammit.

I finally caved in and agreed that I would come (alone) for a week, allowing my wife (who is extremely Covid-safe and basically refused to go) to stay home to care for the animals. So, I'm flying out tomorrow for a week. I've got my N-95 mask and I'll pack my own sandwich and try to avoid people to the degree possible. Couldn't get a direct flight, though (which didn't used to be the case.)

At least they are getting the vaccination next week. And, with Trump out and my father on the wagon, our conversations should be a lot easier (hopefully).
Hopefully with the new federal directive requiring mask wearing on airplanes, that will also help things for you.

I'm curious - does anyone know if that directive applies to airports? Are they under federal authority?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good luck, man.

Have a carne adovada stuffed sopaipilla for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Safe travels man.

And good luck with the downtime johnnie.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

UMichigan suspending all sports and athletics for two weeks after B.1.1.7 outbreak.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:38 pm UMichigan suspending all sports and athletics for two weeks after B.1.1.7 outbreak.
real dagger for the mbb, wbb and hockey teams, who are all on fire right now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah, but Merck certainly doesnt suck at it. If the J&J fails, we are so lucky to have the mrna technology (assuming we all dont die from it later). So easy for that not to exist yet and we live with this til 22-23 or later. The drug costs that people criticiz so much is exactly makes wall street dump billions into unproven companies like Moderna. In the absence, millions more die.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Fuck this.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/25/mo ... -variant/

Moderna is studying adding booster doses to its vaccine regimen after finding its Covid-19 vaccine was less effective against a coronavirus variant that was first identified in South Africa, the company said Monday.

In lab research that involved testing whether blood from people who had received the vaccine could still fend off different coronavirus variants, scientists found that there was a sixfold reduction in the vaccine’s neutralizing power against the variant, called B.1.351, than against earlier forms of the coronavirus, Moderna reported.

There was no loss in neutralization levels against a different variant, called B.1.1.7, that was first identified in the United Kingdom. Both variants are thought to be more transmissible than other forms of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Now, it’s a little funny?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oldest kid's HS has reported 5 cases so far this week and 4 last week. All of the emails say there is no evidence via contact tracing of connections between the cases. She's personally opted for fully remote learning so far this winter.

Same kid will be a year older as of Monday, and we ended up renting out a movie theater tomorrow evening so she can have some semblance of a celebration. Will only be 10 or so people total, I think, including my wife and me (if I end up going). Mostly track teammates who she sees every day anyway. Spread out and don't share popcorn, kids!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 pm Oldest kid's HS has reported 5 cases so far this week and 4 last week. All of the emails say there is no evidence via contact tracing of connections between the cases. She's personally opted for fully remote learning so far this winter.

Same kid will be a year older as of Monday, and we ended up renting out a movie theater tomorrow evening so she can have some semblance of a celebration. Will only be 10 or so people total, I think, including my wife and me (if I end up going). Mostly track teammates who she sees every day anyway. Spread out and don't share popcorn, kids!
Don't go to AMC, they don't need customers to stay in business.

Debating on whether to send the boy in this quarter. His last week of in-school (pre-Christmas), he was literally the only kid in one of his classes, and no more than 4 in any other class. The one he was by himself, the teacher is remote, so he sat in an empty room on a Zoom call with a substitute teacher baby sitting him. He decided to stay remote the rest of that week. He wants to stay home because he feels weird being in empty rooms and said the teachers are only teaching to camera anyways, not to the kids in the room. I feel like he needs to get out of the house, because he rarely does anything outside and seems to be withdrawing from friends. If they stay remote for a week, they are put on full remote for the rest of the quarter, so I don't want him to choose remote because nobody is going in, to find out kids are going in.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Time to lose some Canadian smugness...

The numbers are in: Canada’s COVID-fighting efforts are among world’s worst
The only thing our leaders are doing well is blaming others. The premiers, who utterly failed to impose effective lockdown measures when there was still a chance to stop the pandemic in its tracks, and who are currently failing to distribute the few vaccines they do have, are blaming the federal government. The federal government is blaming the manufacturers.
The Ontario government claimed that 100,000 Ontarians had been vaccinated (a pretty woeful number in a province of 15,000,000). Turns out they were counting doses, so only 50,000 had been vaccinated.

Yet handsome Justin pretends that everything is right on schedule.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:40 pm
rass wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:30 pm Oldest kid's HS has reported 5 cases so far this week and 4 last week. All of the emails say there is no evidence via contact tracing of connections between the cases. She's personally opted for fully remote learning so far this winter.

Don't go to AMC, they don't need customers to stay in business.
It is an AMC, and there is a GameStop in this shopping complex, too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hey rass, I forget, is that Salma in your profile pic?

If not, it's very similar to how she looks in Hummingbird Project that I posted about in Movies.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don’t remember the movie. Just saw the screenshot at some point and the grey hair seemed appropriate. Plus boobs.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That is like so many levels of stupid within stupid.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trump being toxic amongst toxic moprons almost gives me some hope.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Good news:

U.S. Hits Pandemic Milestone With More Vaccinated Than Cases

26.5 million compared to 26.3 million.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The weekly Wednesday vaccination clinic run by the local health department my wife works for got pushed to Thursday because of the relatively obscene amount of snow that fell around here on Monday. A lot of their Wednesday volunteers couldn’t work today, so I took the day off from my job and worked at hers instead, with the promise of a dose at the end of the day (all volunteers are lucky enough to get vaccinated).

She was up a little after 5AM and had to be onsite by 6:30. I didn’t have to be there until 8:15, so took my own car up so I could at least say good morning to the kids and make breakfast for the youngest.

The clinic took place at the HS (enrollment over 2900, currently all remote), located right next to the city hall complex. It snaked its way through the parking lot and around the school, starting with pre-registration where they made sure the people who showed up had an appointment, to registration and then the nursing stations where shots went in arms. Plus a ton of support staff, DPW, cops, golf carts, and so many cones. My wife is head of Logistics, making sure people and equipment (from heaters and printers to pens) got where the needed to be.

I was assigned to the registration team. We had to collect and quickly analyze the paperwork from the vehicle-bound patients, flagging potential issues for followup with nurses at our station. We also collected medical insurance info to allow the HD to potentially get reimbursed someday. Real bottle-neck there when we had to make copies (front and back!) of the cards. One copier/printer jammed (I was using it at the time, fully outside, and I really think the wind caused the top-loaded paper to go a bit sideways) and couldn’t be fixed. It got quickly replaced but the replacement ran out of ink. They brought two more up as replacements.

This was the first clinic where people were getting their second dose, and the procedures were slightly different for first and second doses. We had to mark up the windshields to indicate second dose, or if they needed to exit the car to get the shot, or if the patient was on anti-coagulants. The nurses had a red marker to indicate patients who had to wait 30 minutes post shot instead of the standard 15 due to some medical issue or another. Once they were done with us, they drove around the building to the giant semi-permanent structure, three lanes wide, to get their shots.

The clinic was open to anyone (who got an appointment), only real restriction was that you could only get your second dose there if you also got your first dose there. My sister in law (over 50 cancer survivor) had an appointment today (no help from my wife) and drove about an hour from home to get her shot. I didn’t know that until I saw her in the line of cars. She didn’t expect to see me, and with the masks I think we almost missed each other. Good thing I recognized her car.

We started at 9 and worked until 3. Some place in town provided a pretty good bag lunch, so I took a quick 15 minute break to piss out my morning coffee and to scarf down a chicken cutlet sandwich, potato salad and pickles. Threw away the Lays and stashed the craisins for later (much later as it turns out, as I never ate them so they came home with me).

I got the shot a little after 3, made it home by a little after 4. Walked the dog, picked up the oldest from track practice. Made pizza dough somewhere in there, too, and fed the kids. Arm is a little sore, but so far nothing worse than the flu shot. I’m tired and my back is sore, but I think that’s from getting up a little earlier than normal and standing for 6 hours straight.

The actual HD employees, or at lest the ones in charge of this, had to clean up both the site and the paperwork, making sure the doses given could be matched to the number of people recorded as receiving them. 571 total doses today. They think they can do more now that they have the hang of doing the second doses.

She didn’t get home until after 8. She, along with most of her coworkers, got her second dose today and is expecting to knocked on her ass a bit tomorrow. Seems to be the consensus that the second dose makes itself known. Her arm is really sore.

I’ll most likely be spending Thursday four weeks from now doing the same exact thing as today, and then get my second dose.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:13 pm The weekly Wednesday vaccination clinic run by the local health department my wife works for got pushed to Thursday because of the relatively obscene amount of snow that fell around here on Monday. A lot of their Wednesday volunteers couldn’t work today, so I took the day off from my job and worked at hers instead, with the promise of a dose at the end of the day (all volunteers are lucky enough to get vaccinated).

She was up a little after 5AM and had to be onsite by 6:30. I didn’t have to be there until 8:15, so took my own car up so I could at least say good morning to the kids and make breakfast for the youngest.

The clinic took place at the HS (enrollment over 2900, currently all remote), located right next to the city hall complex. It snaked its way through the parking lot and around the school, starting with pre-registration where they made sure the people who showed up had an appointment, to registration and then the nursing stations where shots went in arms. Plus a ton of support staff, DPW, cops, golf carts, and so many cones. My wife is head of Logistics, making sure people and equipment (from heaters and printers to pens) got where the needed to be.

I was assigned to the registration team. We had to collect and quickly analyze the paperwork from the vehicle-bound patients, flagging potential issues for followup with nurses at our station. We also collected medical insurance info to allow the HD to potentially get reimbursed someday. Real bottle-neck there when we had to make copies (front and back!) of the cards. One copier/printer jammed (I was using it at the time, fully outside, and I really think the wind caused the top-loaded paper to go a bit sideways) and couldn’t be fixed. It got quickly replaced but the replacement ran out of ink. They brought two more up as replacements.

This was the first clinic where people were getting their second dose, and the procedures were slightly different for first and second doses. We had to mark up the windshields to indicate second dose, or if they needed to exit the car to get the shot, or if the patient was on anti-coagulants. The nurses had a red marker to indicate patients who had to wait 30 minutes post shot instead of the standard 15 due to some medical issue or another. Once they were done with us, they drove around the building to the giant semi-permanent structure, three lanes wide, to get their shots.

The clinic was open to anyone (who got an appointment), only real restriction was that you could only get your second dose there if you also got your first dose there. My sister in law (over 50 cancer survivor) had an appointment today (no help from my wife) and drove about an hour from home to get her shot. I didn’t know that until I saw her in the line of cars. She didn’t expect to see me, and with the masks I think we almost missed each other. Good thing I recognized her car.

We started at 9 and worked until 3. Some place in town provided a pretty good bag lunch, so I took a quick 15 minute break to piss out my morning coffee and to scarf down a chicken cutlet sandwich, potato salad and pickles. Threw away the Lays and stashed the craisins for later (much later as it turns out, as I never ate them so they came home with me).

I got the shot a little after 3, made it home by a little after 4. Walked the dog, picked up the oldest from track practice. Made pizza dough somewhere in there, too, and fed the kids. Arm is a little sore, but so far nothing worse than the flu shot. I’m tired and my back is sore, but I think that’s from getting up a little earlier than normal and standing for 6 hours straight.

The actual HD employees, or at lest the ones in charge of this, had to clean up both the site and the paperwork, making sure the doses given could be matched to the number of people recorded as receiving them. 571 total doses today. They think they can do more now that they have the hang of doing the second doses.

She didn’t get home until after 8. She, along with most of her coworkers, got her second dose today and is expecting to knocked on her ass a bit tomorrow. Seems to be the consensus that the second dose makes itself known. Her arm is really sore.

I’ll most likely be spending Thursday four weeks from now doing the same exact thing as today, and then get my second dose.
If they need volunteers, I keep maxing my vacation accrual and have no reason to take days off. Will work for vaccine.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:13 pm She didn’t get home until after 8. She, along with most of her coworkers, got her second dose today and is expecting to knocked on her ass a bit tomorrow. Seems to be the consensus that the second dose makes itself known. Her arm is really sore.
Ha ha man you couldn’t give her just one night off 🤣🤣🤣
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:13 pm Real bottle-neck there when we had to make copies (front and back!) One copier/printer jammed (I was using it at the time, fully outside, and I really think the wind caused the top-loaded paper to go a bit sideways) and couldn’t be fixed. It got quickly replaced but the replacement ran out of ink. They brought two more up as replacements.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Now that I'm done with that random ass quarantine I was able to get vaccinated. Thank goodness.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:43 pm Now that I'm done with that random ass quarantine I was able to get vaccinated. Thank goodness.
Congratulations!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Re: That Virus Thingy

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:51 pm Yeah, I have a trip to China scheduled for November which is very obviously up in the air at this point, though it's a long way until then.

You'd think Trump would be all over this since a pandemic that kills 5 percent of people over 70 years old would definitely put a dent in his support come November.
I still maintain this dumbfuck would have cruised to re-election if he'd have taken COVID seriously and done all of the other same white nationalism stuff.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No comment.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Wife and kid both got their first jabs this week. I’m still waiting for mine as I was unable to go sit in line for four hours like they did. Locally at one location they are doing first come first served. Running out of doses quickly though.

At work we are supposed to be getting quite a few, plus I’m on the list for the regional hospital system. Fingers crossed either one happens soon.